Town Fair Tirepoor business practice

I'm not one to ususally complain a lot, but I've just had my THIRD bad experience with this company and want to warn others.
1. A few years ago, I brought my car in for two new front tires. There was no one in the store, but I waited over an hour and a half. I had to go back into the garage to find out what was going on. It turns out the technician had taken my car for a road test and hit another parked car with it. They were waiting for a supervisor to show up to figure out what to do, but didn't even bother to tell me. When the supervisor did show up, he told me it was my fault because my brakes were worn out ( a complete lie). The damage to my car was minor so I settled for getting the two tires for free and popped the dent myself.
2. In 2010 I had four new tires installed on a different car. Again, it took forever. Finally the technician came out (he could barely speak English) and explained that he couldn't finish the alignment because he couldn't loosen the clamp on the tie rod. The only tool he had was a worn out Vice Grip pliers! We agreed that I would take the car elsewhere to get the clamp loose and return for the alignment. A couple of weeks later, when I finally had time, I jacked the car up and with the proper wrench loosened the bolt immediately. By then one of the new tires was showing wear on the outside edge because the alignment was so bad. I returned to the store. Not only did they try to charge me for the alignment, but they refused to replace the tire that they screwed up.
3. Today, I got a nail in one of the same set of tires. I went over to take advantage of my "free" road hazard guaranty. They wouldn't fix it because the OTHER tire, that they screwed up, showed wear on the edge. The point being that they wanted to replace the OTHER tire in order to fix the flat one. And since they won't replace a single tire, I would probably have to buy a pair.

The bottom line here is that these people are obviously rip off artists. I put a phone call in to their corporate office over an hour ago, no one has called back. Your best bet is to STAY AWAY from them, even thought their prices are attractive. You'll wind up paying more in the end

justplainjoe Jul 20, 2011

Follow up. After waiting 2 1/2 hours for a return call, I called the corporate office and asked for the President of the Company, Mr. Mellen. He immediately "went on vacation", but I was immediately connected to Rich in customer service. After my long explanation, he agreed to replace the bad tire and fix the one with the nail for free. Will keep you posted after I see if this really happens.

justplainjoe Jul 21, 2011

Follow Up #2. I filled the tire last night on my way home from work, but by this morning it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to make it to Town Fair for repair. So, I wound up changing the tire myself in 80 degree heat with 90% humidity, which then necessitated another shower and change of clothes. Went to Town Fair; "Dave" that I was told to see hand no idea who I was or what I wanted, then wanted to charge me for the repair, so obviously "Rich" in customer service never did anything about this.

With this being four strikes, I am done with them. I will pick up my tire this afternoon and file a complaint with Connecticut Consumer Protection.

justplainjoe Jul 21, 2011

Follow Up#3 Just got a call from Town Fair- They will not repair the flat because there is more than one hole in it, and they want me to buy a new tire for $159.00 (After a credit for the first tire). Seems pretty obvious that these people will stop at nothing to rip you off.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices