TNT Servicescamming money for apartment rental

K

I am trying to find an apartment to rent in Brooklyn, NY. Searching on craigslist I found a GREAT apartment. The person emailed back and it was immediately fishy- she was in London and needed to rent the apartment ASAP and wanted me to use TNT express service (tnt.com) to deposit payment and she would send the keys (because she's the only person with the keys). I have found several other complaints online saying that the scam had been carried out on them.

I know it's next to impossible to locate the person responsible---
Susanne Hevner
34 Abbeville Road
London, SW4 9JN
United Kingdom

But when I contacted TNT Services to try to check it out and see if it was for real, they actually responded with this guy as the TNT payment agent

Charlles Moriss
192 Tulse Hill
London, SW2 3BU
United Kingdom

And the response looks pretty real, from address [protected]@london.com -- this needs to be shutdown so more people aren't scammed out of their hard earned cash.

I have about 8 emails from these scammers so let me know if I should email them to someone.

• Du
    Duncan Sep 05, 2008

Yes! My g/f saw the same ad as well as another of the same type but from someone who was living in Germany. Same M.O., no credit check, will send you keys in exchange for money using TNT.com...very fishy indeed. Who would rent you an apartment without knowing if you smoke, have kids, have bad credit can pay the rent ?? etc etc...

• Ae
    ael Sep 11, 2008

I agree this is a BIG FAT SCAM and we need to cacth these people. I also emailed them also and no response

james washington Sep 12, 2008

My girlfriend just received the same Apt rental agreement from a lady in London asking her to send $1200 to a TNT agent thru Money Gam. It sounds fishy and I'm trying to find out before she lose $1200 dollars. If someone have more info, please e-mail me. Thanks!

• Se
    sean Oct 28, 2008

I've dealt with the exact same person except her alias was Catherine Marks from Liverpool. Every time I asked for contact information, references, she refused. Also, she will promise to send you a confirmation through a TNT intermediary. I got the email but was immediately suspicious because the contact email which I was suppose to send the Western Union transaction number was a YAHOO address!!! Don't be fooled by this individual.

Mariele Nov 03, 2008

I have just received this same email...this person claims to have a fantastic apartment in downtown Toronto and wants me to send her more than 2000 dollars for me to be able to see the apartment.
    It is all very weird...send me the money so you can see the apartment?? Hello???
    The alias being used this time around is Erin Askew.
    Be careful!!!

• Ae
    AEDBoston Feb 23, 2009

Had same situation happen to me, for an "apt" in Charlestown, MA. Here is the email, name and email address they used.

from: Ashley Rudnansky <[protected]@gmail.com>
    dateMon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    subjectRe: $1300 / 2br - Unfunished 2 BR -amaizing view (Charlestown)
    mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 12:31 PM (7 hours ago) Reply

Hi,

Thank you for all the useful information, I have to say that you are the perfect renter for my place and I will be more then happy to hand over the place to you. You will be able to visit the place once you will have Property Viewing & Keys Agreement form completed. Like I have informed you before, the price you will have to pay for one month of rent will be $1, 300.00; with no extra fees you will have access to all facilities provide by the building. The utility bills are paid directly from my bank account. Everything is functional and if you need to do some repairs (the worst case that could happen ), I will refund the reparations cost, or I will deduct those from monthly payment. The price will not increase monthly; it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for. We can start with a basic 6 month or 1 year contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you.
    Since I'm in London we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast; this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a way that will allows you to pay the rent only after you will receive the keys; this way you will have the chance to physically see the place and decide if you like it or not.
    If you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you with the steps on how this service works and how we can make it happen securely. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service the first month rent $1, 300.00 so they can proceed with the shipping, so you can receive the keys and the contract. Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this will work .
    1) To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full address and a phone number. I will fill out a Property Viewing & Keys Agreement form as well, with the purpose of viewing the place.
    2) The document will be handed to a TNT agent along with 2 sets of keys. He will verify the legitimacy of the legal papers. After this they will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody.
    3) At this point you will have to go to a Money Gram office Location and make a money deposit on the TNT payment agent name that will be listed on the notification.
    4) After the deposit will be paid the payment information ( Reference Number, sender's name and address) will be forwarded to TNT for validation. Once the payment will be confirmed with Money Gram they will deliver the apartment keys and the contract.
    5) After you receive the package, you will have 2 days to take the apartment tour and to inform TNT if you will rent the apt. If the place is what you are looking for the payment will be forward to me by the agent assigned for the transaction. If by any chance you don't like the place we will have to cancel the contract and you will get a full refund of your payment.
    Let me know if this service is comfortable for you and if you are ready to proceed.

Have a nice day, Ashley

• Ka
    Katie May 18, 2009

Same thing from Charlestown, MA. Here is the original email: I just received it today, so beware!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in having my place for rent; located located less than 1 mile north of central Boston in the Navy Yard, near quaint, historic Charlestown. Air Conditioning, cable satellite available, ceiling fan, disposal, furnished, large closets, separate dining room, washer and dryer in unit, alarm, carpeting, dishwasher, patio and balcony, view, window coverings.
    I have moved to London, United Kingdom, about 4 months ago, with my husband, when I accepted my new job. I decided to keep the place because I wanted to have a comfortable and familiar place to stay when I will get back so I decided not sell it, I will just rent while I'm London. It may take up to 5 years. I want someone to stay there because I don't want it empty. I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the place and want you to treat it as your own.
    The place is available and it has not been rented before. You can rent it for the period of time suitable for you of course. You can start with a basic 6 months and we can renew the agreement any time you want. The Tenancy Agreement form will be forwarded to you, which would guarantee your entry to the place on the day of your arrival. The rent for 1 month is $1, 200.00 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots, air conditioning). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. I have ready all the necessary rental documents. The only problem is that I'm the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a way to solve this situation. I will really appreciate a response if you decide to rent the place. Above all things, this is a great place and opportunity for someone. Hope to hear back from you soon!

Ashley Rudnansky

• Tj
    tjt May 18, 2009

I have had the same thing happen to me, too, from this "Ashley Rudnansky" scammer for the Chalestown, MA apartment. I also just received it today, despite responding to the Craigslist posting last week. This isn't even the first one that I've received. I've received another scam e-mail from a "MILDRED PERRY" (in all caps) concerning a Cambridge, MA place and yet another about an apartment in the North End. Please be aware!

This is really just horrible.

• Pa
    Paul Jun 04, 2009

I was just trying to buy a macbook on craiglist, posted in Omaha, NE. I contacted them and asked where they are so I could meet up. They wrote back that they were in the UK and due to the US warranty people in the UK wouldn't buy it so she was trying to sell it in the US. She wanted me to use TNT to send her the money. It was a too-good-to-be-true deal. A $1100 laptop selling for $550.

I went to the source code for the email where it lists out all the various IP addresses for the servers that it routed through, also indicating the IP on their end. I went to maxmind.com and plugged in the IPs and it'll tell you where they are located. One from CA, one from Germany... NONE were from the UK.

It already stunk of a scam when she had this extra information about not being in the country and wanting me to send money through some third party. But having all the IPs traced and showing the message wasn't being sent from where they claimed they were, I wrote back a short nasty reply.

• Sk
    SKindl Jun 28, 2010

Jan Willis <[protected]@hotmail.com>
    People renting in Toronto should look out for this person/ email! Renting a beautiful too good to be true apartment in the downtown core.

First email received -
    The apartment is available.The monthly rent of $1100 will include all utilities such as water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking etc. The only problem is that i had to move with my job to London/UK where i am now and i left the keys and contract already signed by me at a company called TNT and they will handle the payment and delivery for us. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step. Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

Second email received -
    If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact TNT and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from TNT shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well. Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to a TNT account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that TNT has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process.
    The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize TNT to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask TNT to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through TNT right away.

Thanks to this site I didn't loose $1100! Thanks!

• Sk
    SKindl Jun 28, 2010

http://www.hometrader.ca/ContactUs.aspx Oh yeah, one more thing. Hometrader.ca was the website that posted this scammer "Jan Willis" mentioned above, please avoid using this site to search apartments! I tried to contact Home Trader to make them aware of the scam and there isn't even a "submit" button on the "contact us" page! See for yourself! http://www.hometrader.ca/ContactUs.aspx

I bet Hometrader.ca is in on the action.

Just can't believe these people.

• Ha
    Hanne Oct 23, 2010

OMG, I got the same e-mail! It was for an appartement in Brussels..

Ok,
    First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 450 EURO + 450 EURO = 900 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
    The contract will be made on minimum 2 months and maximum 9 years !
    The price is cheap because i want to find a good person who take care of my apartment !
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

His "name" is John Michael..Waauw, these people or this person is really getting a lot of money this way! I found my own on immoweb.be..

• Pe
    Peter V. Oct 26, 2010

Hanne, i recieved EXACTLY the same response from John Michael for an apartment in Brussels Ixelles! It seemed too good to be true. These are the 2 responses i got:

1° Response :

From: john michael
    Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 2:40 AM
    To:
    Subject: RE: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Ixelles. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 450 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

BEDROOMS : 2
    Master bedroom has a marble en-suite bathroom with shower and marble washbasin.
    The main bathroom is beautifully decorated with marble and limestone has a large bath tub, shower and toilet. The bathrooms are fitted with superior fittings and feature extensive use of marble and limestone. There is also a separate guest toilet with a small hand basin.

450 EURO / MONTH

2° Response
    Van: JOHN MICHAEL ([protected]@hotmail.com)
    Verzonden: dinsdag 26 oktober 2010 4:19:52
    Aan:
    Onderw: RE: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur

Identic as HANNE. He/They just copy-paste it all !!!

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS PERSON

SarahKay78 Oct 31, 2010

Hanne and Peter, I have just recieved the same thing for an apartment in Liege, Reply
    john michael to me
    show details 23:19 (10 minutes ago)

Ok,
    First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 280 EURO + 280 EURO = 560 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

I cannot believe this guy! Just when i thought i had found the perfect thing!

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

I found the apt on immoweb.be

DO NOT AGREE ANYTHING WITH JOHN MICHAEL!!!

• Ib
    Ibrahim007 Nov 01, 2010

Hello everyone,
    Same thing happens to me just a few hours ago. I also received an email of John Michael about a flat in Ostend Belgium that I found on immoweb. With the same description as the one in Brussels . And also with that story of TNT. I found it very odd from his first email, I did even ask if we could meet in London, as he was in Liverpool. No answer at all. I can not believe that.
    Please People Beware of this criminal named John Michael.

• Se
    seilennaA Nov 01, 2010

Hi,

I just had the same thing with a flat in Schilde/Antwerp found via immoweb.

First mail (from [protected]@live.com):

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Schilde. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 280 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Turnhoutsebaan 203
    2970 Schilde

Apartment 1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom

BATHROOM:

A stall shower, and a tub with hand-held sprayer. WC is downstairs.

KITCHEN:

Fully equipped kitchen stainless steel and blond wood, and features a ceramic cooktop with four electric burners, a traditional electric oven, a combination refrigerator/freezer, toaster and coffee maker, as well as a combination washer/dryer, dishwasher or microwave.
    Included :

Central Air Conditioning, flat-panel television, TVs, Washer, Dryer WIFI, Internet Access, Stereo, Cable, TV, DVD

280 EURO / Month

THE PRICE INCLUDED ALL UTILITATES

Second e-mail:

sdp21324 Nov 02, 2010

SAME SCAM IN LEUVEN...Please be aware

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Leuven. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 700 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Bondgenotenlaan 115
    3000 Leuven

2 Bedrooms

Recently renovated in May 2010, 3 floor winding staircase walk-up.
    Digicode entrance and interphone equipped.

One bathroom with shower, separate tub and wash basin, and separate WC
    Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, , microwave, oven, stovetop,
    washer/dryer.
    Flat screen TV, cable, High speed Internet and unlimited international
    calling, DVD, stereo system

700 EURO / MONTH

sdp21324 Nov 02, 2010

Ok,
    First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 700 EURO + 1300 EURO = 2000 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !

sdp21324 Nov 06, 2010

HERES ANOTHER ONE ALSO IN LEUVEN...PLEASE BE AWARE ON IMMOWEB...DO NOT TRANSFER MONEY BY TNT OR WESTERN UNION OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT...IF ITS 2 GOOD TO BE TRUE ITS GENERALLY NOT

2 Bedrooms Recently renovated in May 2010, 3 floor winding staircase walk-up. Digicode entrance and interphone equipped. One bathroom with shower, separate tub and wash basin, and separate WC Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, , microwave, oven, stovetop, washer/dryer. Flat screen TV, cable, High speed Internet and unlimited international calling, DVD, stereo system 700 EURO / MONTH

THE PICS ARE SIMILIAR TO OTHER SCAM ONES IN COMPLAINTS ABOVE

• Ba
    Bambiliana Nov 27, 2010

Italian version (the scammer - Patricia Donovan: [protected]@live.com is offering a three-room apartment in the downtown of Milan, Centro Storico):

Hi again,
    Thanks again for your reply. Before all I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can bring it to an end. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service the first month of rent 570 euro, so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.
    Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
    1 - To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping coordinates and I am referring to your full name and full shipping address where you want to receive the package.How Many Months are you willing to rent The House?
    2 - I will go to the TNT Office here in the UK and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
    3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything it's OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
    4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they've checked it. TNT will give you further instructions about first month deposit!
    5 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not. If all is in order, you will instruct TNT to give me the money for the first month. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account. If you don `t like the apt they will give you a full refund and you will give them back the keys and the contract.
    I will pay the TNT Service for the shipping.
    Thanks for understanding, but at this point just let me know if we can do this, so email me all your full shipping information in order for us to proceed in this deal.

Good luck,

PS Please read all the info and tell me if it's clear to you, or if I can help you with other explications..

Marie112010 Nov 30, 2010

Same happened to me with two apartments in Cologne:

Ok,
    First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 300 EURO + 300 EURO = 600 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
    The contract will be made on minimum 2 months and maximum 9 years !
    The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize TNT to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask TNT to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address and phone number so I can initiate the deal through TNT right away.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

And today I received the same foolish Email from another person:

Hello,
    Thank you for your interest. My name is Laurentiu Marian Ganea and from the internet add, you could see, i have available the apartment to be rent. It has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathrooms, 1 kitchen and 1 living room .
    I am looking for someone to live in it, as soon as possible, because my company has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in London, United Kingdom . I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in Liverpool will be about 4 - 6 years. The renting period is from 1 months upto 1-8 years. As a result of this I want to rent, for this period, at this price and also to find the perfect person for my apartment. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.
    The apartment is furnished, but I have the option of sending all my furniture into storage if you want to bring your own (no extra costs). The rent for 1 month is 300 Euro (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a solution. You can move alone on the apartament or with your family or friends.

Thank you for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Laurentiu Marian Ganea

P.S. Please tell me if this is what are you looking for and reply my only if you are truly interested in the apt.

Be careful and tell the webpage to delete any of those apartment advertises.

Jorge Arteaga Dec 21, 2010

This is what I got!

Hello,
    Thank you for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in London, Great Britain, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer to rent the apartment that I have in US. I can rent the apartment for a maximum of 9 years ... This is the time that I have a contract here, but I can rent for shorter periods as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is $1300 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking). You can view the property on the same day when receiving the keys .Because i`m here in UK, the deal will be trough Rent.com Company .I left the keys and contract already signed by me to them. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step.
    Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

This is the email the scammer used: diana.[protected]@hotmail.com

• Ro

2 Bedrooms, Queen-sized bed

BATHROOM :
    1 Bathroom; stall shower

KITCHEN :
    Fully equipped kitchen with four electric burners, a traditional electric oven, refrigerator/freezer, toaster and coffee maker, as well as a combination washer/dryer.

TEL/INTERNET/TV:
    Private garden, Flat-panel television, DVD player, TV, WIFI, Internet Access, Stereo, Cable, TV, DVD

450 EURO / MONTH

From e-mail: fehde.[protected]@live.com
    Now his name is Frank Raoul C Aelvoet
    DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS PERSON!
    Its to good to be true!

Margaret9908 Jan 16, 2011

I got the same e-mail!!
    Be careful !

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Ixelles. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 350 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Apartment 1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom

BATHROOM:

A stall shower, and a tub with hand-held sprayer. WC

KITCHEN:

Included :

350 EURO / Month

THE PRICE INCLUDED ALL UTILITATES

• I0
    I'm not crazy Jan 19, 2011

I have had the same mail

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Hasselt . I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 700 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Marie Curiestraat 1,
    3500 Hasselt

APARTMENT 3 BEDROOMS

BEDROOMS : 3
    2 Masters bedrooms has a marble en-suite bathroom with shower
    and marble washbasin.
    The main bathroom is beautifully decorated with marble and limestone has a large bath tub, shower and toilet. The bathrooms are fitted with superior fittings and feature extensive use of marble and limestone.Flat screen TV, fully air conditioned with three independent zones which can be controlled individually, DVD player, stereo
    unit, spare DVDs and CDs, a small library.

700 EURO / MONTH

• Be
    Beezie Jan 23, 2011

Also at www.immoweb.be have been these kind of advertisements. When sending message about being "interested" they apparently take the ad away immediately.
    In these ads the text is the same, they only change pictures. I've contacted to the support and the webmaster of immoweb.be about this criminal activity.
    I've also contacted to police. I live in Belgium temporarily but I have a nationality of Finland. So that's why I've also taken the case forward to the special unit of internet criminality of police in Finland.

What a [censor]! These people must be hunted down!
    The following links aren't obviously working very long, though here they are anyway...

• Be
    Beezie Jan 23, 2011

The same advertisements have been at www.immoweb.be. I've contacted to the support and webmaster to react somehow into the case. These criminals take the ad away immediately when one sends message to them about being interested. Then it's very easy to find similar ads from the sites only with different pictures.

I've also contacted to Belgian police and I will also contact to police of Finland because of my nationality. Probably the special unit of internet crime would be quite interested. Or they should be.

These following links obviously aren't working very long, though here are couple of them anyway:

More angrier it makes me that apparently, when reading earlier messages here, this activity has been going on since 2008. And still happily continuing without getting accountable for their nice little business! These people must be hunted down!

• Sr
    Srchng4RghtAnsr Feb 13, 2011

Here is a copy of the email traffic between me and Diana. It seemed fishy right away b/c of the grammar and continuous sentences. Unfortunately, I'm secretly wishing this wasn't a scam! :(

from Diana Lewis <diana.[protected]@hotmail.com>
    to (my email)**** (Yes, this is you.) Learn more
    date Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    subject RE: UNIQUE and REHABBED 2 bedroom BUNGALOW in COCONUT GROVE with a POOL!
    mailed-by hotmail.com
    Important mainly because it was sent directly to you.
    hide details Feb 10 (3 days ago)
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in having my place for rent.
    My name is Diana Lewis, I am the owner of the apartment. I have moved to London, United Kingdom, about 4 months ago, with my husband, when I accepted my new job. I decided to keep the place because I wanted to have a comfortable and familiar place to stay when I will get back so I decided not sell it, I will just rent while I'm London. It may take up to 9 years. I want someone to stay there because I don't want it empty. I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the place and want you to treat it as your own.

The place is available and it has not been rented before. You can rent it for the period of time suitable for you of course. You can start with a basic 6 months and we can renew the agreement any time you want. The Tenancy Agreement form will be forwarded to you, which would guarantee your entry to the place on the day of your arrival. The rent for 1 month is $650.00 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots, air conditioning).You can view the property on the same day when receiving the keys .Because I`m here in UK, the deal will be trough Realtor.com Company .I left the keys and contract already signed by me to them. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step.

Thank you and hope to hear back from you

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:50:09 -0500
    To: [protected]@gmail.com
    From: [protected]@olx.com
    Subject: UNIQUE and REHABBED 2 bedroom BUNGALOW in COCONUT GROVE with a POOL!

From: [My name] (my email)***

Hello,
    I am interested in looking at this rental. Also, is this priced as listed ($650/month)? If not, what is the monthly cost? Please let me know. No rush!

Thanks!

This message is regarding:

The OLX Team

If you ever need support or have comments for us contact our Customer Service Team

******My name and email have been blocked. Sorry!**********

• Pa
    pav123 May 09, 2011

It is true.. If you want to try, refer below link and send a email you will get replay as below.
    Hello.

i can send you the rental agreement to the office there is no problem. one rent in advance. it has washing machine and kitchen.
    First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
    The contract will be made on minimum 2 months and maximum 3 years !
    The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 2 working days. You will be given a 3 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize TNT to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask TNT to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address and phone number so I can initiate the deal through TNT right away.

• De
    Der Chris Jun 02, 2011

Here is one in Hamburg, Germany. E-Mail From: [protected]@yahoo.com
    I searched with google for this theme and found this page

The contract will be made on minimum 2 months and maximum 10 years !

jinus Jun 29, 2011

and here is another case
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply. Like I have informed you before, the price you have to pay for one month of rent will be 950CAD$ with no extra fees you will have access to all facilities provide by the building. The utility bills are paid directly from my bank account. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for. We can start with a 6 months rental contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you. About the payment, I would like to receive it monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it. The apartment is ready for you, you only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check it out, and see if you like it. The apt will be unfurnished but it can be rented very easily with the furniture at the same price. Also pets are allowed. Since I'm in London, United Kingdom we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called TNT Express which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allows you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys, and through this way you will see it and decide if you like it or not, before sending the payment. Please click on the link bellow to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the web site of the company where this procedure is explained: http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/home/services/special_services/international_time_critical_services.html ( if the link is not working please try and copy it in your web browser). Any further questions e-mail me back or you can call me at: +[protected]

Let me know if you are interested !

Hello again,

If you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you with the steps on how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to TNT Express the first month of rent 950CAD$ so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract. I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this process will work:

1 - To start the process all I need is your full shipping info(full name, address and phone number).
    2 - I will go at TNT Express to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
    3 - TNT Express will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department in London.
    4 - TNT Express will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody and that I am the real owner of the apartment I am renting to you, in which you will also have all the instructions to complete the Western Union transfer to the TNT Express Agent.
    5 - At this point you will have to go to a Western Union Location and make a money deposit on the TNT Express Agent Name for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit for the first month of rent.
    6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the transfer information to TNT Express.
    7 - TNT Express will verify the payment information and if everything is in order they will proceed with the delivery of the keys and the contract.
    8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 5 days (inspection time) you must contact TNT Express to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if all is in order you will instruct TNT Express to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Also pay the Western Union transfer fees from the total amount you need to deposit and send the rest in balance.

Let me know if we can move forward and e-mail me your full shipping information I requested so we can proceed with this deal.

P.S.: My name is Oliver Demms

Hello,

The Apartment located in 3895 Sandell St, Burnaby, BC is still available. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The company I work for has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in London, United Kingdom. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. I don't want to make a business with the apartment or make a profit. Just want to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place because I really love it. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.The apartment is unfurnished but if you want you can use my furniture from the storage unit. The rent for 1 month is 900CAD$ (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots indoor, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, stove, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). Everything in this apt is functional because is recently renovated. If you need to do some reparations (the worst case that could happen) in the apartment, I will cover the reparations cost, or I will deduct those from monthly payment. You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys because it is a private property but I hope that we will find a compromise.
    If you have any other questions please contact me back by e-mail.

Thank you for your interest and i`m waiting for your answer
    from: Steve Thompson <[protected]@hotmail.com>

Hello,

The Apartment located in 6220 McKay Ave, Burnaby, BC is still available. It has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The company I work for has won the auction for a project, in construction, for a building that will rise up in London, United Kingdom. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in England will be about 4 years. I don't want to make a business or a profit with the apartment. Just want to find a good and trust person to take good care of the place because I really love it. I`m the owner of the apt and it's like in the pics.The apartment is unfurnished but if you want you can use my furniture from the storage unit. The rent for 1 month is 950CAD$ (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots indoor, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, stove, laundry in-suite, washer and dryer). Everything in this apt is functional because is recently renovated. If you need to do some reparations (the worst case that could happen) in the apartment, I will cover the reparations cost, or I will deduct those from monthly payment. You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys because it is a private property but I hope that we will find a compromise.
    If you have any other questions please contact me back by e-mail.

Thank you for your interest and i`m waiting for your answer
    from: Oliver Demms <[protected]@hotmail.com>

jinus Jun 29, 2011

i received this two email same day.. isn't it funny?

• El
    elyse2307 Oct 24, 2011

omg!! All of these situations are like reading my current one. luckily I have not yet been robbed but here is the LIAR trying to scam me. He deserves to be listed here so his name or alias can be known. He tried to rent me a place in the City (Perth, Western Australia) and I thought it was great. great price, facilities etc. I let him know I was interetested and he gave me a bit more info but then alarm bells went off in my head with the kind of bonus features like the paid utilities( was great already and was getting too good to be true), I asked about the bond and seeing the place before hand and this email was what I got back.

Hello again,

First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( $600 + $600 = $1200 ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract ) !
    If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact DHL and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from DHL shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well. Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to a DHL account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that DHL has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance. As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process.
    The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize DHL to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask DHL to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through DHL right away.

Tim Turner

makes the alarm bells turn way up. Don't trust this one either.

pdxc Feb 11, 2012

Here's mine-- from Portland, OR, February 2012
    First email-- received after I responded to the hotpads ad:
    "Hello.

My name is Cilicia Morse and I am the owner of the apartment located at 1414 Sw 3rd Ave 2202, Portland OR, 97201 .My asking price is $950 per month (this price includes all taxes and bills). The apartment is very clean and I want to rent it to someone who will be careful and thoughtful.Just to mention few, it includes:Central Heating, Refrigerator, Ironing Board, Good wireless internet Connection, Washing machine, Dishwasher, Microwave Oven, Television with Built-in DVD Player, Coffee Maker, Double Sofabed in Sitting Room, Dining Area, Hairdryer, Internet connection, phone, washing machine with dryer, cable TV and most important a parking place. I am working in France and I am here with my family. For viewing the best would be to reach an agreement and fix a date when I came back in country.
    As beeing very busy with my work, time is very important for me, in conclusion no free time to waste. Before booking my plane tickets I would like to be certain about your rent intentions.
    If there are any questions please feel free and ask me.
    I would also like to know how many persons will occupy the apartment and for how long would like to sign the rent contract. (any pets? cats or dogs?)

Waiting for your response !"

Second email-- received after follow questions were sent:
    "Hello .

Yes the apt is partial furnished but all the furniture is in stoarage, I can come anytime to show the flat to you, but first of all I need to be sure you really want to rent it. Last week I was there in New York to meet a potential client and when I got there nobody answered any of my calls. I even paid GBP 480 for the plane ticket and trust me I don't have money to waste. I am requesting only 1st month of rent as deposit $950.About the payment, I would like to receive it monthly into my bank account and I hope there will be no problem for you to wire the money to it because all the bills will be paid directly from my bank account. You only need to receive the keys and the contract so you could check out the apt, and see if you like it and I think that TNT is the best way to finish this deal cause TNT is a third party company, same as UPS or FedEx. It is very popular in France. I will not have access to your money until you have received the contract and keys and will inspect the apt. If you will like the apt and want to rent it you will release the founds to me that simple no complications. And if you will not like the apt you will be fully refunded by TNT and i will receive my keys and rental contract back."

... And that's when I started googling and found this site. Thanks guys!

pdxc Feb 16, 2012

Just got another one...

"Thanks for your email and interest in renting my house..I am Xavier Martinez the owner of the house you are making inquiry of…Actually I resided in the house with my family, my wife and my only daughter before and presently we have moved out due to my transfer from my work now in Warsaw, Poland. Presently my house is still available for rent for $700 USD (rent already includes utilities).More so Now, i’m currently in the (West African)for an international Christian follower’s crusade.Pls i want you to note that i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent, so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word..

It has a dramatic entry foyer with ceramic floor. Extremely spacious rooms throughout with lots of big windows…nice and light! New neutral paint and some newer carpet...Very quiet, low traffic area. New fridge I believe its absolutely a perfect home for you and your family.Utilities include Water, Trash, Sewer, Gas Etc...

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW.

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
    Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?
    Phone # : __________?
    E-mail : __________?
    Best time to call : __________?
    How many proposed occupants : __________?
    List all in addition to yourself including approx age : __________?
    Present Address : __________?
    City/State : __________?
    Will you have pets : __________?
    Please describe Breed, size : __________?
    Personality of pet : __________?
    Preferred move in date : __________?
    Intended length of lease: __________?
    Earliest possible date of deposit payment: __________?
    Length of previous tenancy : __________?
    Present occupation : __________?
    Are you a section 8 applicant : __________?
    Do you run a business from home : __________?
    If so what kind of business : __________?
    Do you work late night : __________?
    Do you smoke : __________?
    Do you drink : __________?

Looking forward to hearing from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you…Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys to you, please we are giving you all this based on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words, you know that we have not seen yet and only putting everything into Gods hands, so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this… The house is available for rent at the moment so you are free to move in as soon as you wish to…A Deposit of $700 (which happens to be the security deposit) is required before moving in… for more information and arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you…The house will be available for rent for a period of 4 years so you have a choice of deciding how long you intend staying there…

Xavier Martinez. "

pdxc Mar 10, 2012

And another...

"Hello,

Thanks for your email, I personally own the house, we want our property to be well taken good care of, and they are some rules and regulation in which i do give out to tenant willing to rent my house, so please don't disrespect my order, But if you are still capable of renting my house the rules and regulation goes this way.

You must keep my house clean including the surrounding, you must know the way in which you use the stove so as to avoid fire outbreak, you must not disturb the neighbor. We decided to rent out the property due to our transfer to (West Africa) on a Missionary Work because, in a church here named World Mission, so we are renting it out since we need someone to take good care of the property on my absent. Don't be surprise if you find the home with another site and different price, I have plan to rent it through Real estate before, but they are not serious simply because they have a lot of house to lease out, And they added some money to the rent while there commission is not fair.

Have this in mind you must know the kind of person that i am, But nevertheless i am giving you this rules because of what corresponded between me and my last tenant. the keys and documents are with us here in West Africa... So i will need to ship them to you before you can occupy the house, But you can drive by the house anytime to take a look at the area and surrounding, you can also peek through the windows if you don't mind.

So let me know if you are still interested so that i can forward you the Rental Questionnaire to fill out...

Number of Bedrooms: 3
    Number of Bath: 2.5
    Pets are welcome!!!
    Rent: $900
    Deposit: $800
    Address: 9827 SW Quail Post Road Portland, OR.

Thanks and God bless you.
    Regards
    Mark Joshua"

• Rc
    RCKraaij Sep 03, 2012

Also in the Netherlands, Daphne Torenson daphne.[protected]@hotmail.com advertised a nice appartment in Delft on www.kamernet.nl which I guess would be 200 euros to cheap.
    The mails above are from 2010, this one is from 2012 with the story going like: the appartment was bought for a studying daughter, whom is finished studying now etc etc.

I checked with the Dutch organisation that registers who owns property and they told me the place was owned by somebody else. https://kadaster-on-line.kadaster.nl/na.asp

Anyway after a few mails:

---------------------------------------------------------

This is the address of the apartment : Brabantse Turfmarkt 30 B, 2611 CN Delft
    After analyzing all the applications together with my husband we decided that you would be suitable to rent our apartment.
    I want to inform you that TNT will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apt and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
    I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen.You will only have to deposit to TNT Global Agency 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 380 € + 380 € = 760 € ) so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
    1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
    2 - I go to the TNT Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
    3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
    4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
    5 - At this point you will have to make a money transfer deposit on the TNT agent name assigned with this transaction for the amount we agreed.
    6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to TNT (Reference Number, sender's name and address)
    7 - TNT will verify the payment information and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .
    8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not, if everything is in order you will instruct TNT to release the money to me.

Along the keys and the contract, you will also receive a copy of my ID and a copy of the apartment documents that will show that i'm the legit owner of the apartment.

Important ! I will pay for the services of the TNT rental company and you will pay for the Money Transfer fees.

Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are a lot of peoples interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell them. If you agree what i suggested i will tell them that my apartment is already rented and i will keep it for you. If you agree then i must have all the shipping details so i will be able to make all the arrangements for the TNT delivery.

Name:
    Phone number:

Best greetings!

• Vi
    Viena93 Feb 07, 2013

it's happen to me in Germany too. I found it on www.studenten-wg.de and I know that it's so cheap for Berlin and the location. Here's the email:

Hello dear tenant,

Thanks for your interest.There is no other persons in the house, so you will not have to share the apartment.The registration is allowed.
    My Apartment is already furnished including things like washing machine, water, electricity, gas, internet connection e.t.c..The kitchen has fridge, cooker, oven and other kitchen stuffs.A dining table accommodates 4 people.If you want to bring your furniture, we can solve this. All rooms have air-conditioned (cooling and heating). All furniture is new and modern you can see in the photos. The apartment is located at Wielandstr. 6, 10625 Berlin - Immediately available

We are trying to find a tenant for this property ASAP, first-come-first-serve basis

My name is Charles Berger (48 years), i live in United Kingdom, but my daughter Susana graduated in Germany this year. I bought this 1-room apartment 4 years ago for her and her fiance.Now they have returned home and have found a good job here.I want to rent this apartment because some money are welcome since it is free, anyone living there and sell it in 4-5 years. Maybe if you are interested we can discuss further about it and I can make you a good price.

If you are 100% interested in renting my flat, I will just send you the keys and contract using a Estate Delivery Company. They will act as a third party in our transaction.I hope it's OK with you, since this is the only reliable option.If you are still interested to rent my apartment just answer me and i will give you more details .

With regards, Charles !

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices