Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Car Rental Thrifty Rent A Car toll administrative fees - most ridiculous charges I have ever incurred!

Thrifty Rent A Car - toll administrative fees - most ridiculous charges I have ever incurred!

R
Author of the complaint
9:11 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We rented a car in TX last month and yesterday I received a bill for tolls that we went through, with $90 in administrative fees from Thrifty! First of all, we had no idea how this toll thing worked. As we were going through the tolls and saw signs of tolls road, my husband and I kept asking each other where are the toll booths and how do you pay the toll. We have never seen tolls where there are no toll booths. Apparently, my husband declined some type of agreement for the tolls that would have cost $87 at the time of the rental and because of that, they are charging us $15 per toll, which adds up to $90 additional dollars. This is the most ridiculous system I have ever heard of and they are taking complete advantage of their customers! I am more than happy to pay the toll fees, but this administrative fee, per toll, is not acceptable. The Notice Number from Thrifty is [protected]. After calling and expressing how upset I was, they did reduce the fee to $48.20, but this is still too high. I could see paying one administrative fee of $15, if they feel they have to charge something.

Helpful? 0 0

Thrifty Rent A Car - drop off charges
3 comments
V
Sep 18, 2018 9:11 am

Same experience, first time in Miami, August 2018. I rented a car to go to the Everglades. I did not get the $50 per-week Sunpass that Thrifty sells. Not being familiar with the freeway system, I wanted to drive on the streets, but even though I would program the GPS on my phone "to avoid toll roads", it kept directing me to the toll roads. I got frustrated and tired of that so I tried to get a toll pass at a store but they didn't sell it. I called Thrifty to get the pass added on my rental agreement but they didn't. I was told I could pay for it when I turn in the car. When I told the man who received my car I had used the toll roads I was led to believe that the charge would be applied to the rental. Weeks later I received a bill for $79.92 of which $69.93 were for "administrative services". Two days later i received an updated bill with another toll date added bringing the total to $90.18 .
I...just called Thrifty and they reduced the charge to $52

C
Jun 19, 2018 9:11 am

Had same experience in Miami in May 2018. Many toll roads. You need to have an advanced degree to keep track. Almost impossible to avoid. Who knows this coming into Miami if you're not from there? Thrifty said NOTHING about a $10 administrative fee PER toll when I rented the car. If I had a 30 cent toll, they charged me $10. After 4 days of driving, I had $30 in tolls and $90 in "administrative fees". Customers would never agree to this if they knew about these fees in advance. Very scammy. Why would a company not care about damaging their reputation like this? Needless to say, I am disputing the charges with my credit card company.

G
Jan 24, 2018 9:11 am

I was just charged the same. I am NEVER renting from Thrifty again - Enterprise is much more transparent!

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

249 complaints