Thrifty Car Rentalunnecessary insurance

A

I made five phone calls to the Thrifty international phone line reservation from home in the US beforehand to make a rental car reservation and when I made my reservation I stated that my credit
card would serve for insurance and I would decline the rental insurance, and none of the agents
mentioned any problem with this. In addition I arranged to get a 10% discount using my American Express card.
Arriving at the Thrifty counter in Munich airport Terminal 2, I was told that because the Munich airport location had had numerous problems with credit card companies refusing to pay insurance
claims, that the Munich airport location's policy was to require written proof from the credit card company that that rental car would be covered. In addition I was told that under no circumstances
could American Express be used for this, only MasterCard or Visa. As the Munich airport has no free Internet, I had to sign up for a one-hour paid service for $11.15 (€8) and downloaded both the
MasterCard and Visa documents online, to show that both of my credit cards covered rental cars.

When I showed this to agent, she said I had misunderstood, and that I would require written proof SPECIFICALLY for THIS rental reservation. As an alternative, the Thrifty insurance was €250,
doubling the price of my rental. When I asked for a cheaper rate, I was told I could pay €150, but I would be charged a €1200 deductible against my credit card in case of an accident.

At this point I gave up and went to one of the other rental car companies in the terminal and quickly obtained a rental car for with none of the runaround about insurance.

If the Thrifty international reservation line had let me know during my 5 calls before the reservation while in the US that I would have to have written proof specifically covering this reservation, I have
no doubt that I could have obtained this ahead of time.

Also, if Thrifty has a special arrangement favoring American Express cards, why did the Munich site say that even with written proof of a specific coverage that American Express cards could not be used
for insurance?

• Ms
    Ms. Chanell Aug 04, 2015

As frequent customers, we are appalled at the lack of professionalism & efficiency of our rental agreement. After being inconvenience with a TWO hour wait for a reserved rental vehicle, we were also overcharged for the rental as well. On 7/26/2017, We contacted corporate as advised regarding this issue and Cherise informed us that a credit of $166 was issued on 7/26 and that it would take 3 to 5 days to process. We never received the credit. On 8/4/15, my wife contacted Jett(Jeanette), a corporate consumer response rep, to inquire about the credit. Jett advised that it was noted in the system but never sent to processing!! Jett was EXTREMELY unprofessional and blatantly RUDE! She exemplified POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE in handling the situation. Her dialogue was condescending and unapologetic about our inconvenience. Jett muted the conversation as my wife expressed disappointment of her unprofessional demeanor. At that point, we asked to speak to a supervisor or manager in which we were advised that she was corporate and refused to transfer the call to someone of authority by the name of Tracey. Employees like JETT OR JEANETTE is INCOMPETENT and a DISSERVICE to Thrifty with a lack of integrity & an unprofessional demeanor. We advised her that the call was being recorded and she continued to provide poor customer service. After providing my email address to her as requested, she NEVER emailed the case ID information as she stated she would. Dalesha @corporate immediately sent the email & transferred me to Tracey's voicemail after having contact corporate again after the disturbing call with Jett. Her lack of efficiency & competency was duly noted as she NEVER sent the credit request for processing! With this said, we will NOT continue to use THRIFTY for personal or business use in the future due to the overall poor customer service, lack of efficiency & poorly organized infrastructure!

• Wi
    winta804 Sep 04, 2014

We rented a car from Thrifty and when the rental shuttle got us, the driver put our laptop on the middle shelf in the luggage rack. He made a sharp turn and the computer flew off and thudded on the floor. Now when I turn it on, there is a vertical white line in the middle of the screen. My computer repair technician told me it had to be broken pixels and another screen would be about $350 plus about $125-150 labor. I wrote to the president of thrifty-budget cars, or whatever the name is: Mr. Scott Thompson CEO, at [email protected] on August 11. 2017 which was about 3 days after we returned and also after thrifty customer service told me they would do nothing, despite the obvious negligence of their van driver. It is now Sept 3, 2017 and I received NOT A WORD from them! How’s that for bad customer service and relations.

Thrifty and Budget are the same company!

• It
    ItsDawn Jul 26, 2012

Dear Car Renters,

Be aware of the unlikely budgets and low dollars of the Thrifty's website.
    I am not here to write a huge complaint today but to only lay out the basics for any future renter possibly considering Thrifty's as they offer highly lucrative rental dreams.
    From my online "estimate" as is typical of all dealers, I was interested in the compact (standard) rental car.
    It was small made for a few adults and a bag or two of luggage. It was for 2 people with luggage and a budget on fuel expenses.
    Having been able to allegedly recieve the car for 110$ for 3 days I figured it was the most ideal, easy wallet rental place of them all.
    In my expereince smaller rentals comanys tend to be less costly and more friendly.
    To make sales I guess one must be friendly as the gentleman helping my out today on my rental experience was very "friendly" as was I.
    To start, apparently he was going to give me an upgrade because they apparently did not have the car I was putting my reservation in for. Most places when they do not have a reservation available for you, do not make it a faulty option.
    At this point he was going to give me a luxury upgrade which regularly cost 75$ a day for only around 45-50$ a day.
    I was in a pickle as I was to pick my friend from the next cities airport therefore I obliged. I figured the price in the end would not be much different than others renters such as Budget or National based on their standard rentals.
    So I committed. I also needed the smash it up insurance which was surprisingly low at a rate of about 19.95 a day.
    This was typical so I accepted. My totaled bill therefore would now land me at the 210$ mark.
    True it was a bit more than I wanted to pay considering my budget but was still in the areas of other dealers prices.
    I told the gentleman I needed a fuel efficient car and something not to big like a Hemi.
    To my surprise it was not a Hemi but a car just as big and luxury, Sedan style. I inquired about the mileage on the vehicle and was seeing my time window narrow as I had spent the last 45 minutes with the guy, incurring interruptions on personal I phone calls, problems with the printer and an inability to find my vehicle, as if they were not expecting me.
    I was now on my way in the somewhat pricey car with a good price sticker for fuel.
    The fuel bill for this car was astronomical, it road nice and was some what luxury but I definitely have seen nicer cars in the luxury department, a direct comparison being the Ford Fusion I would later rent with National.
    Upon a late arrival with the car, and one phone call as I was fueling the car before returning it, I discovered no one to be at the desk having just spoke 2mins ago across the street.
    I waited for nearly 20 mins at the desk. The guy showed up with a nice little surprise for me.
    After they had taken a 500$ hold on my credit card which is still locked on there after 40 days, for any potential photo radars, I was handed another nice hefty bill owing Thrify's another 160$. For what exactly I am not sure.
    They would not except debit, or could not charge my small Visa card anymore with their 500 holding fee plus my payment and my hotel reservation. They did not accept cash or have a machine for withdrawals. They would not let me keep the car for the remainder of the day even though I was obligated to pay for it.
    The total time he wasted of mine in waiting on personal calls, front abandoned desk etc. probably accumulated to a good 2 hours on my watch...now I had to find some magical way to pay for this card.
    The solution was a cell phone call to my friend to pick my keys to return to my home to obtain my in-case of emergency card...only to discover they would not except that Mastercard because the Numbers were not raised, however on my first purchase the card was the same. Now I had to have my partner pay for the additional expenses on the car.
    Most humiliating unexpected situation ever. In the beginning he said "we will take care of you, as long as you rent from Thrifty's again" I obliged at that point given the current repitoire. Pardon moi now, but Thrifty''s can go beep themselves and take advantage of someone else, as I am done being a mistreated customer and I hope you can say the same, or never have to say this in general. Spare yourself the grief and take a higher priced company because in thee end you could end up saving so much more, even if it is just your DIGNITY.

• Tb
    Tbal Apr 16, 2012

Thrifty Car Rental has a policy now that says even if you return your rental car FULL of gas that they still charge you $8.99?? I paid cash at the Shell station in DFW to fill my rental but neglected to get a receipt, the garage attendant confirmed that the car was full(8) but said we like to have a policy where we charge an extra $8.99. I rent about 9x per year, THRIFTY assumes that the customers are crooks...from now on THRIFTY can pound sand, there are lots of car companies to rent from. Tom

• Ka
    kamalj99 Aug 16, 2011

I rent the car July 15 to 21, 2017. When i got there to pick up the car they give me more old car then i thought. I take it because did not have choice i have to meet someone in New york. When i when to return the car tire got flat i call the road assistent they told me wait hour and half. I call the triple aaa. they come chang the tire. When i got there they told me it's my fault the tire got flat how, because i rent the car. They charge me two hour late fee $150.00. Then they chage me for tire and rim $174.00 How they did thet i don't konw. I try take to mange he said i cannot do any thing. I don't know why i go to cheap rental place.

• Le
    lepkap Aug 05, 2011

I had a similar experience - they engage in deceptive practices - Do not use Thrifty

• Le
    lepkap Aug 05, 2011

I had a very similar experince - do not use this company - they engage in deceptive practices

• Ro
    Roxie G Jun 24, 2011

Went to the city of Scottsdale, AZ and decided to use Thrifty Car Rental to see the cities in Arizona. We choose Thrifty Car Rental because they "seemed" to be the most reasonable. The man that checked us in took all our information from our online Reservation Confirmation information. He reviewed what we wanted with our rental. Once he was done, he had us sign this small electronic tablet, reviewing again our choices we made with the rental. Remember, you're just off the plane, took a bus stuffed with people, and you're told to read this tiny tablet filled with a million sentences and you're expecting this man to post exactly what you're requesting. I didn't read every page that was explained to me, I took his word what he was saying was in the contract! Once our vacation was over, we returned the car early in the morning of our returning flight. We were told to go to the check-in area to confirm our bill and ask any questions. If not, all charges will be billed since we had to show our credit card when we checked in initially. Well, there was no one to be found that morning. We could no longer wait since our bus to the airport was ready to leave. When I saw the bill posted on my Mastercard I was quite surprised. Reviewing the charges, we were over charged $123.00 for mileage. We clearly told the man at the counter we wanted "unlimited" mileage, plus it was in our confirmation reservation. Now try and settle with Thrifty. Not a chance. You sigh it you pay for it. You try and call, they will not even let you speak to any manager. I put in a complaint with my credit card; Thrifty faxed over the signature. They are sneaky!! Now we know why they were cheaper over the phone. They make up for it in the over charges they stick unknowing consumers. Will NEVER use them again. Buyer Beware.

Saze1 Jun 12, 2011

I purchased a car rental from Thrifty, in the Cabo San Lucas area, from an on-site representative at a resort I was staying at. My rental started on Thursday and was to be returned on Sunday of the same week, dropping it off at the airport. I purchased the rental at a good price and chose all insurance coverage available.

My credit card was pre-authorized for a little over $600 to be held until the car was returned. Seemed like a standard normal purchase- and then the nightmare began!

I checked out of the resort hotel on Friday and elected to stay at a hotel in downtown Cabo San Lucas for the remainder of my stay. Well, by Saturday afternoon all of my money was gone. Thrifty elected to increase my hold from $600 to $4, 159.34- NOT PESOS, BUT DOLLARS!!! Can you imagine this happening to you? For most people, holding over $4, 000 of your money would likely ruin your entire trip… you would be wiped out!!! Well, it is three days later and this money is still being held, and this is only one of two major problems still remaining unresolved.

WHY did Thrifty decide to hold over $4, 000 of my funds from me? Well, I went to the closest Thrifty office and they said they have been “trying to look for me.” First of all, I had NO voice mail OR e-mail from Thrifty, so I don’t know who they were contacting, but it sure wasn’t me. Secondly, I had NO reason at all to report to Thrifty on my whereabouts. I was scheduled to drop off my car on Sunday, at the airport. This was Saturday. So, again, what was this company thinking? Obviously, they thought I possibly stole their car. The nerve! Even after several times of directly asking WHY, no one at Thrifty gave me a direct answer on why my hold was increased.

To make matters even worse, I had somehow lost the car keys on Friday night, between my trip to local shopping and back to the hotel. It is very possible that the keys were locked in the car, but this issue also remains unresolved. When I went to the Thrifty office, first to scream about the additional money they decided to hold without ANY notice, warning, or warrant, I informed them about my lost key.

First, they wanted to get to the car “right away.” The Thrifty supervisor and an intimidating larger male co-worker drove me back to the hotel I was staying at, with a camera, took pictures of the car and then called the “manager.” At this point, I felt like a prisoner and not a customer. I did nothing, but was being investigated. I cannot describe the feelings I had about this situation and this alone will prevent me from ever dealing with this company for the remainder of my lifetime.

THE WORST IS YET TO COME: Finally, even though I purchased all of the insurance available, including insuring personal belongings, I was told that for loosing the keys I will be charged an additional $380.00. You heard me correctly. Not only am I being treated like a criminal, but NOW Thrifty is stealing from me! There is no way that is will cost Thrifty $380 to replace a lost key (and it may not even be lost, but simply locked in the car).

The supervisor told me that the insurance does not pay for “negligence.” Are you serious? Did she just call me negligent? Wow…. And, where in any fine print does it say that you should be responsible for anything after you spend the extra money to purchase all of the insurance. Isn’t that what insurance is for?

Again, I am back home and none of this has been resolved. Everything I have told you here is a fact. This is the 2nd time I have made the decision to use Thrifty in a Latin American country and it is the 2nd time that something “very shady” has occurred, where I end up feeling robbed rather than helped at a time of need.

I sent two e-mails to the CEO, the Senior Vice President of Operations in Latin America, and the VP of Global Sales and Marketing for the parent company of Thrifty Rental Car, who also owns Dollar Rental Car. No resolution from them; not even a reply back. I guess they care more about my $600 than how I was treated.

I encourage you to take this information into consideration when comparing Thrifty to other car rental companies. I can tell you, for me, I will always choose to pay the extra $10 per day, or to walk the extra few blocks, to work with a brand name that I can trust… not Thrifty Rental Car.

• Be
    Berleck Mar 29, 2011

We rented a vehicle from Thrifty Car Rental in San Jose, Costa Rica & after stopping for gas we noticed a "bulge" in the side if the front tire.

We returned to the rental place and asked if they would change it for safety reasons, but they declined to help us.

We were told we had to find a tire place on our own and have the same quality tire and replace it at our cost.

The clerk was rude and offered very poor customer service skills. The new tire cost us almost $50.00.

It scares me to think what could have happened if that tire would have blown on those mountain roads.

• Dt
    dtaginformant Mar 11, 2011

Im sorry to see bad things happen to good people, I used to work there and They would a force foreign customers to take every single item, if they didnt they would not let them rent the vehicle.

chibrivp Feb 25, 2011

• Ka
    Karl Legge Dec 27, 2010

Dear Sir / Madam,

You have not answered the query at all. I want to know how you can send me a quote of roughly $450 and then on arrival the bill gets jacked to over $1200 ! As I explained in my previous email there is no part of your quote to me that mentioned this massive amount of money. In future I shall never be using your very poor services again. I will keep you posted of my mailshots addressed to all travel companies, Facebook, Twitter, review sites, forums and office of fair trade here in the UK.

When questioned, your employee at the pick up desk read the complaint script that she admitted she has to use many times a day as I am most obviously not an isolated case. In all other parts of the world that I have been too, a hire car would not be let out the car park without being fully insured, you are not operating any where near a professional service by using "ratcheting strategy" on your pricing and miss-quotes.

I have seen many forums that are littered with similar stories (just by typing "thrifty car complaints") into Google and I will be doing my upmost to bring all of these to a much wider audience. Having rented in Orlando on several occasions, I can say with confidence that you are well below par with your competitors, and really know how to put a sour taste in everyones holiday.

Also please remove me from your mailing list, it is an insult.

regretfully yours,

Mr Legge.

• Sh
    Shawn Zhao Nov 24, 2010

I rent a car from Thrifty Car Rental company at the airport of Augusta, Georgia in Nov of 2017. When I was driving at the highway normally, the light above the driver seat fell down by itself. I did nothing to the car before. When I returned the car to the company, I reported that, and thought I would not be liable for this. But to my surprise, I received an invoice of about $400.00 for the damage that was not caused by me. Thrify Car Rental company should check their cars very carefully before it rent the car out, and should not let innocent customers get hit by those hidden quality issue of their cars.

• Ne
    Nenka Nov 04, 2010

OUR experiance with Thrifty Car Rental
    Very Bad Experiance in KonaHI. We had HHonosr Reward Certificate but they didn'r "recognise" the code, so we had to rent car on the spot. They say on ther website that upgrade is $3.00 we were charged $26.00.Our certificate was accepted after numerous calls, but the whole experiance was very unplesant. I spoke this morning with "custumer service" person Dan and you should heard him. It was all our mistake we should not signed contract ? but there was no other way to get car, we were told that all the charges would be corrected later. Well, they were not.
    So, never, again we'll rent from them, and I hope you will noth either!

matthewj Mar 08, 2010

My boyfriend and I dropped off our rental car (Which was stained and dirty when we picked it up) on the monday we got back from vacation, by wednesday night we realized we forgot some stuff in the trunk so I called and talked to someone who said the car had already been sent back out but that they would check it when they got it back. So I called everyday since that night and no one would answer my phone calls. I left numerous voicemails with my number and my boyfriends number and the list of items we were missing. It took us a whole week to finally get a hold of someone to find out only some of our things were in the trunk. Someone had taken expensive photos and our new sweatshirts we had gotten on our trip. Now I know they wanted us to think the person who rented the car after us took the stuff but with the run around we got my belief is that whoever cleaned the car out when we dropped it off had something to do with taking our missing stuff. It has been a very shady situation and I would never deal with them again. I had already been turned off by the stained seats when we picked up the car in the first place!

anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

Unfortunately, when you rent a car, maintenance becomes your responsibility. Thrifty did all they were required on contract, by continually replacing the vehicles. It seems like the girl there was having a bad day as well...

By contacting corporate, you can probably get your one-day reimbursement. I would push for two. Usually at the rental counter, agents cannot issue credits of any sort.

• De
    Debbie Jun 12, 2009

I reserved a car May 6-19 at the RDU Airport in Raleigh, NC and was given a mid-size car as requested. I drove it for less than a day and heard a bumping noise. I had left Raleigh and was unable to return it for a few days. Thrifty exchanged it for the same model when I made a special trip back to do so. I was back and forth across NC visiting family and friends and began to hear noises from the second automobile. Again I had to return and exchange vehicles and Cheryl of that office was very rude when I asked her what could be done because of the problems. I was basically living out of the trunk of the car with two heavy suitcases and staying with family and friends and grabbing what I needed to avoid lugging everything. She asked me if the gas was full and I told her almost and she told me that was my reimbursement for my problems. I asked if she could at least give me one free day and she said no. When I disputed that business practice, she began to say "yeah, and you're now gonna sue us, huh?" I left with a third vehicle after refusing a vehicle with no trunk space explaining I would need such vowing never to rent from Thrifty again. In addition, the person washing cars outside had the radio turned so loud it sounded like a concert coming from that area.