Menu

TD Bank  -  Recent letter re heir potential

G
Author of the complaint
1:53 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Recently received. Letter from Paul Alfred Thomas, TD Canada Trust Bank, [protected]@gmail.com, stating that I might be an heir to a Joe Granke who died in 2007 in London. Is this for real or a scam? I am highly suspicious especially since the letter is not on any bank letterhead and the city is listed as Ontario, which I know is not a city.

More TD Bank complaints & reviews

TD Bank - outrageous overdraft fees
TD Bank - overdraft fees?!?
TD Bank - extreme delay in posting direct deposits
TD Bank - horrible customer service
TD Bank - racist treatment
93 comments
May 24, 2022 2:56 pm

Just received a letter similar to all of those mentioned in the comments. Must act fast so that 9.2 million dollars can be claimed and split with the writer, Jean Macrae 🙄

2022 and this letter is still being sent out! The weirdest part to me was that the envelope was printed with “Voila By sobeys” in the return address area. A quick search showed that it’s a grocery store in Canada.

May 19, 2022 11:06 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Also received this same letter from : Daniel Tibor, LOL..what a joke of a human being!

May 02, 2022 12:51 pm

Received same scam as well...May 2022

Apr 29, 2022 3:21 pm

Same exact letter name

Changed - SCAM

Apr 25, 2022 2:50 pm

Received the same letter 2 weeks ago. The name on the envelope was not even close to my name! Obvious scam. This looked more professional than the "Spanish Letter" i received a few years ago. However, the scammer didn't even bother to use a color laser printer as the bank logo was in black, rather than the real bank logo which is in green.

I am going up to Toronto in a few weeks to visit with a friend who worked for Scotia Bank until he retired. I'm sure he will get a kick out of it.

As they say, you can't cheat an honest man!

Mar 24, 2022 1:00 pm

My wife just received a letter from Mr. Daniel Tibor with a relative that died in 2012 of a cardiac arrest. He too had USD 9.2 million in his estate. Is a Canadian or US agency looking into this guy?

Apr 05, 2022 1:17 pm

It's a scam. I just got the same exact letter, from Daniel Tibor, relative died in 2012 of cardiac arrest, had $9.2 million.

A
Apr 19, 2022 9:11 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I got one, too! LOL. What a scam. And because they're using US mail, I believe this is mail fraud, a felony. Turning it into the post office.

May 18, 2022 11:56 pm

Daniel Tibor letter received in Oregon today. Says 9.2M was left without heir by guy that died of cardiac arrest in 2012. Asking me because dead guy shares my last name do I want to go in with him to scam the loot. Kek.

G
Mar 14, 2022 8:37 pm

Are people really that stupid ?

Feb 23, 2022 6:35 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Mr Daniel Tibor is still at iT! That 9.2 Million sure sounds Great but the fact he says “once the funds are released they will be shared between us”…. What makes him think I’m not a SCAMMER Too!😏😏😏…. This is a Busy Guy that needs to be behind Bars with no printer or Bad copy paper!😜

Feb 03, 2022 8:57 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Good to see that this scam still has 'legs' ...

I received a letter yesterday (Feb 2022) from "TD Canada Trust." Same basic details: someone with my last name died in London, Ontario in 2012 this time, leaving $9.2M USD. Sent with a Canada Postes metered mail stamp. Low grade copy, skimps on ink. Etc. The contact, Mr. Matias Edison, has an email address that leads to a parked domain on GoDaddy.com (figures). Two funny details:

- The letter is 100% black + white; they didn't even bother to make the TD logo green.

- There is a faint outline of *another* similar letter imprinted into the sheet of paper, upside down!

The RCMPs should be investigating: there are a lot of wealthy, lonely American ex-pats dying in London, Ontario! ;-)

May 06, 2021 12:50 pm

My wife received a letter last month. Same deal 9.2 mill, London Ontario, blah blah...

email was [email protected]

Garbage!

May 19, 2021 7:19 pm

My husband received one today almost identical to yours. It was Canada Post too.

Apr 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Ok here is the scam if you get a letter. Regardless it will start off someone died and some lawyer is trying to reach you because woohoo there is a boat load of money with your name on it. You do the happy dance and email them back saying yes yes yes show me the money. The next step will be that they will email you back saying that they are serious and send you all kinds of fake documents, maybe a passport showing that they are legit (but if you do a google image search you can find the fake image as someone else). But hell you want your money so you go forward and reply to the mail with what ever information they are asking for. Next is the scam. To get the process started they will need money. How much depends on the scammer. They will say to do the documents and what ever else is needed you will need to send them funds which they will repay you once you get the money and they will pay you out of there split. I stopped dealing with them after that part but I'm guessing you send the money wait by your mailbox for that big check everyday wondering where your money is at.

This is so sad! I was already making plans thinking that my husband was a millionaire! LOL 🤪😭🤣

T

I just received a letter today, from Lenny Mendoez claiming I am heir to 9.2 million dollars.

May 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Replying to comment of Tamaj

My husband received one from his as well...

T
Mar 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Yes, Daniel Tibor is still at it. I received my letter today with the same 24.5M offering.
I would have thought he'd have been prosecuted by now, or just given up.

Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm
Replying to comment of T.J. Scott

Well, I will add my two cents. I just received a Notice by mail today March 9, 2021, from Larry Wolf claiming that I am the inheritor of a 9, 764 million Dollar from a relative with the same last name as mine who died in London from Cardiac Arrest back in 2010. The Letter is from a Canada Trust Bank. Would be nice if it were true, but everyone please be careful, and do not provide any of your information to these scam solicitations. Hopefully, they'll locate and prosecute these scammers.

Apr 16, 2021 8:18 pm

My letter says exact same thing

Jun 12, 2021 8:19 pm

Same letter came to me today... but it was for a relative with my married name - so that was a big red-flag right away since the person would've been my husband's relative - not mine. After I read the first paragraph, I knew it was a scam. Can't believe people actually fall for this. Sad.

I received the same letter from a Daniel Tibor saying I am the heir to 24.5 Million USD. My last name is through marriage, and there a LOT of legitimate relatives he could have contacted. SCAM if I ever saw one.
Pat

Dec 14, 2020 10:57 am

I received my letter at my office today. Said I was the next of kin of a George Raby. My last name is through marriage so surely there are many next of kin ahead of me including my husband, my children, my sister-in-law, her children, and all of their cousins who are offspring of family members older than my father-in-law! It's a shame that there are innocent people that fall for these scams! It's too bad. I could do a lot of good with $9.2 million USD!

Sep 07, 2020 8:02 am

Hmm, I guess i must be special. My scam letter from TD Canada trust said I had 24.5 million waiting for me!
Oh if we could only take these scammers to task over this, it would be so nice to see them get what they deserve.

Aug 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Got mine today from James Noval, TD Canada Bank. My relative, George died in...you guessed it...London!
Wonder how many folks have actually been duped by this guy(s)?

Jul 25, 2020 9:07 pm

My husband received a similar letter today from a Steve Anderson. The circumstances of death have changed to a “ghastly car crash” and the amount of cash in his bank account had gone up to $47, 500, 000.00! I could tell by reading the letter that English is not this person’s first language. Beware.

Jun 29, 2020 7:52 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I received same letter today from Daniel McFarland.
GEO is The deceased same last name as mine. Lol died under the exact same circumstances.
Really?! Give me a break.

May 13, 2020 6:14 pm

I received a letter from a Jean Macrae. Works at TD BAnk canada, 9.2 million inheritance from someone I’ve never heard of. He wants to split the money. He even send a death certificate. Now he just wants me to send a letter claiming the money to the bank along with the death cert and a copy of my driver’s license. I just can’t figure out where the scam comes in- he hasn’t asked for money.

H
Jun 11, 2020 4:56 pm

Well... what’s the latest? So curious!

Mar 12, 2021 7:01 am

Getting your driver's license may be enough for the scam. Name, Date of Birth, valid address, photo. Many places will allow you to open an account or verify your identity by electronically sending a photo of your ID. Scammers don't always have to ask for money if you give them the "key" to your identity.

Apr 25, 2020 9:54 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Why won't anyone just go along with the letter's instructions so that one of us here on this blog can legitimately say that, "yes, it was a scam and these so-called managers asked me to send $5000 for processing fee of this transaction, etc...". then at least one of us can really say it is a scam, and these people are just wanting to score money from innocent victims like us. Dare, anyone? At least one of us here can say what this scam is all about (if this is a scam). What if none of these managers want money from us, but, instead, they just want a piece of the action- and as long as the split is fair, and everyone is happy, right? But beware, if these managers start asking for money, then that's when you can say "HELL NO!" and simply run. Then one of us can complete the ending of this suspicious scam...

Mar 12, 2021 6:54 am

First, IF it were legitimate and only "want a piece of the action" that would be fraud and put everyone on the hook for major prison time. In Texas, that dollar amount would put you in First degree felony charges, not to mention federal charges. Again, IF it were true, but it is not. Second point, add up the number of people reporting this in this thread alone and multiply that by the dollar amount offered. Seem outlandish yet?

Your comments are leading me to think you are hoping that this may be something leading to money. It's not. There's no such thing, prosecutors all over the country have put out warnings for this very scam. At its worst, responding to this will lead to losing money or having your identity stolen. At best, responding will confirm to the scammer that your contact info is legitimate and can be sold to other scammers.

K
Apr 22, 2020 10:50 am

April, 2020

Received a similar letter in E. Grand Forks stating Jean MaCrae, an account manager with TD Bank Canada; and a deceased relative in London, Ontario Canada has left an account with over $9.2 million USD. Apparently a scam.

Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I received the same letter as everyone else. Geo -- died in 2010 with 9.2 million but mine was from Lenny Mendoez. Have to say the scammers don't give up easily. Please don't fall for this!

Mar 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Mr. Thomas Mendu @ [email protected] sure is a busy fellow. He sent me a letter also... same guy Geo dies from heart attack in London leaving $9.2 milllion unclaimed in TD Canada Trust.

Mar 09, 2020 12:24 am

I received my letter today from Mr Lenny Mendoez Canada Trust Bank 9.2 million GEO Rice died in London from cardiac arrest stating we need to make claim to these funds now. Lenny Mendoez is claiming I am the next of kin and once he has these funds released it will be shared between the two of us. Please send your response to this fraudulent piss ant [email protected] just so every one can send lenny an email just to let him know how we feel about his attempts at scamming money. Karma is no joke these pissants doing this need to understand this attempt at fraud or theft by deception is not a joke what they are doing has a way of coming back to bite them in the [censored]. Sincerly DW Rice...

Feb 24, 2020 8:02 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I received the same letter today from Daniel Tibor.

Feb 14, 2021 12:27 am
Replying to comment of M131

I just received that very same letter from the same guy Daniel tabor funny thing is the was my husband name is is technically miss spelled and stuck for 30 yrs lol so I new right away it was fake

Feb 18, 2020 3:32 pm

My husband had the same letter come in the mail today the account manager name is Daniel Macfarland deceased is Geo and our last name 9.2 million all the same as everyone else but my thoughts are what are they hoping to get by doing this?

Feb 16, 2020 6:13 am

I just got a similar letter today from a Lenny Mendoez ([email protected]) claiming a $9.2 million dollar estate and he wants 50 percent.

P
Dec 26, 2019 4:10 pm

I just got one today! 🙄

Dec 03, 2019 2:32 pm

My step-father, who has been deceased for three years, received the exact same letter today from Daniel Tibor of "Canada Trust" so the scam continues. I hope no one falls victim to it.

Nov 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Oct 03, 2019 5:49 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I received one today from Daniel Tibor. Same letter as above, Mr. Geo _______, cardiac arrest 2009, 9.2 million. No next of kin. Funny thing is, it came in a Salvation Army envelope! Email [email protected]

Sep 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Got the letter too. My account officer is Mr. Jean Delon and the deceased died in 2009. My letter though does not have "TD Canadian trust bank" mine just says "account manager in a well-known Bank, London Ontario. They listed the amount to collect 5.9 million USD. If it where only true =( Letter address in "Markham ON L3R OX1"

P
Aug 19, 2019 11:56 am

I have just received the spoofing letter also dated August 8, 2019.
The letter is supposedly from TD Canadian trust bank authored by Mr. Daniel Tibor.
This is the second letter I've received the first was several years ago but it was the same scheme. I hope that TD Canadian trust bank is aware of this and is doing what ever they can to stop this fantasy.

Aug 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Wow...i guess you can add me to the list...Seems like Mr. Mendu has 2 names and i don't have a Geo in my family either...Smh

Aug 12, 2019 9:09 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

A friend of mine received a similar letter in New Mexico within the last couple of weeks from Mr. Daniel Tibor...I guess he is still making the rounds!

Jul 29, 2019 7:40 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I received the same letter last week. I don't have any relatives named Geo worth 9.2 million. I wish Geo was real. I keep the letter around for a laugh. It is there to remind myself that people (especially scammers), are idiots.

F
Jul 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I got one yesterday. I decided to have some fun with the scammer and sent an e-mail to his address but, alas, it no longer is a valid address.

Check out the Youtube videos by James Veitch to see the potential for playing with these fools. If more folks handled these situations like he does, there would be fewer scammers.

Jul 09, 2019 6:52 am

Honestly, it's a no-brainer this is a scam. Unfortunately, there are some who will fall sucker to it. It's printed from a laser printer for Pete's sake. Most importantly, if an alleged relative died in London, why would a fake AF bank in Canada be contacting anyone lol I get one from the same idiot monthly, about a different relative lol As far as the lame logo, it's 'TD' which is this idiot's initials backwards. Doesn't take a detective to figure that out.

E
Aug 26, 2019 10:33 pm
Replying to comment of Dr Watson

I hate to disappoint, but TD Canada Trust Bank, 77 Bloor St. W., Toronto, Ontario is a legitimate bank. The rest of the letter is, as you have pointed out, bogus bologna.

Nov 13, 2020 4:00 pm
Replying to comment of Dr Watson

The letter is an obvious scam BUT the TD Canada Trust is a real Canadian bank.
But ya'll got the cheap letter my amount was $24.5 million Nov 2.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

411 complaints