Talbotsunethical behavior at talbots ridgewood, nj 07450

Where: Talbots Ridgewood, NJ 07450.
When: Monday, 16 October 2017

Today (Monday, 16October2017)I had a very bad experience at the Talbots store in Ridgewood, NJ.

Last Saturday I went to Talbots Ridgewood, NJ and asked if they could steam the coat ($539 – not exactly inexpensive) I bought at Talbots online to get rid of the folds. They said they will try since they have a small steamer. I left the coat there and said I will pick up on Monday.

I went to pick up today. They gave me the coat and I thanked them. On my way to the car, I noticed that the crease on the lapel was still there, the sleeves with the folds, then the belt which I put on the shoulder of the coat was where I put it and the crease on the belt was the same as when I brought it in. It was untouched!

I called the store as soon as I got home. An associate answered and she said the coat was steamed the same day I brought it in (really?). I said it looks like nothing was done on it – I mentioned all the creases. She called the Manager. Manager Debbie said she personally steamed it (really?). When I said that coat was exactly how I left it, that the belt was where I had put it, and all the creases were still there, she said because their steamer leaks she was afraid water drops would ruin the coat. So it turns out she did not steam it (the truth comes out). It was so obvious that the coat was untouched. Why say you steamed it? Why lie to a customer? Is it so hard to say that you did not touch it so as not to ruin a good coat? That would have been a perfectly valid reason.

Why send me out thinking the coat was steamed when it was not? That is fooling a customer! If the associate who gave it to me did not know, the Manager could have put a note on the coat to say you were unable to steam it because it might get ruined. WHY LIE?

You see, lying will just put you in trouble because the truth will eventually come out. Lesson for you guys: the truth always wins. It is always in your favor to tell the truth rather than lie. If ever you are to get the flak anyway, it better be from telling the truth.

Is this the culture at Talbots now? Is this what those young associates are learning from the manager – to lie? Unethical behavior is not the way to manage a store. I have patronized this store since we moved to Ridgewood in 1990 – spent a lot in this store through the years. This is a terrible disappointment. I will think twice in coming back to this store.

This coat will always remind of this terrible experience at Talbots Ridgewood, NJ. I will surely recount this experience whenever I can. This store now leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Lo
    Lois Robertson-Douglass Jun 09, 2018

Not my idea of a store anymore. Attendants are indifferent, no one says hello anymore (something that used to be a signature feature at Talbot's), clothes are dowdy and overpriced. Not work my time and money to feel ignored, Talbot's!