[Resolved] Symantec Norton Internet Securityrebate scam!

D

For the second year in a row I bought Norton Internet Security and sent in the two rebates, both for $30. I received one rebate with no problem but as the year before received a post card stating that I had not sent all the information and was late in submitting. Knowing I meticulously followed detail in submitting the rebate, I wrote and asked them to send a copy of my envelope with mailing date and its contents. Of course I never heard from them again and feel that two times is a sure indication that (1) we are being scammed and (2) not to use them again. Maybe it is time to call the State Service Commission.

RESOLVED

• Norton's response · Oct 24, 2018

Sorry about the trouble you have with claiming the rebate. Please use the following link to send your query to our rebates team: http://www.symantecrebates.com/promocenter/symantec/email_us.html, we will check this further and help.

• Norton's response · Nov 21, 2018

Sorry about the trouble. Please reach out to our phone/chat support at: www.norton.com/contactcs. We can collect more details and help you cancel the renewal.

please, solve my problem

• Updated by A.Nijnik · Jun 29, 2019

I think I need to return additional payment for Norton Premium £79.99 on my account

• Updated by A.Nijnik · Jun 29, 2019

I was charged twice for the renewal of Norton Security Premium and Norton Utilities
    31.05.2019 Order Number AP1283132104
    and
    29.06.2019 Order Number AP1285204558

• Norton's response · Jul 12, 2019

Hello Mr Nijnik,

I have replied to your other post.

• Norton's response · Jul 12, 2019

Hello Mr Nijnik,

We understand that you have been charged twice for Norton subscriptions. This might happen if you have multiple subscriptions in your account. Visit: www.norton.com/contactcs. Our chat/phone support can verify your details and help you get refund on the second charge.

• Norton's response · Aug 02, 2019

Sorry about the trouble. Get in touch with our support at: www.norton.com/contactcs. We can collect more details about this and help you disable automatic renewal.

• Norton's response · Oct 17, 2019

Hi Ronald,

Sorry about the trouble you have with Norton. Get in touch with our support at: www.norton.com/contactcs, we can certainly help to cancel the renewal. You may also follow the steps mentioned here to disable automatic renewal on your Norton: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/in/norton-renewal-purchase/current/solutions/kb20090818144126EN

• Fr
    Fran Sargent Feb 03, 2007

I've just written Symantec about this issue. I've probably submitted six rebate claims in the past few years, and have never actually received a rebate. I'm always careful to submit all requested items, and have never had a rebate claim rejected by another company. BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS REJECTED BY SYMANTEC. They've even rejected them on downloaded products where there is nothing to submit but a form printed out from their own site. If you search "Norton rebate scams" and "Symantec rebate scams" you'll see many others who have encountered this problem. It's obviously Symantec corporate policy to refuse to honor rebate offers and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for treating their customers this way. I plan to contact Costco, Best Buy, Office Max (where I've purchased Symantec products with rebates) and our State Consumer Fraud department. Hope others cheated out of their rebates will as well.

• Un
    Unhappy with Symantec Norton Mar 03, 2007

Symantec tried the same scam with me. I know I sent all the required information for my Norton AntiVirus 2007, and they refused my rebate. I finally emailed the CEO of Symantec, John W. Thompson at [email protected] I also sent a complaint letter to the BBB, FTC, and Texas Attorney General. My rebate was sent via DHL Overnight within a few days of my email.

• Oh
    Ohk Q. Pehnt Mar 14, 2007

I just got an e-mail from Symantec saying they received my NIS2007 $40 rebate request. I clicked the link to the web page and it said that my request was invalid because of a "missing original UPC or invalid UPC number". Sure enough, when I called the toll-free number, I was told that my UPC code "was off by a few digits".

Well, that's just tough, because the UPC I sent was cut from the same box that's pictured on the rebate coupon and it's the box that Office Depot advertised for the rebate and sold me.

The CSR apologized for any inconvenience caused me and said that they would send me the $40 debit card [owed] me. (Now don't get me started on rebate check versus this new debit card thingy.)

• Jw
    J Wheat Nov 20, 2007

Norton is scamming everyone.They have devised a real good plan to get you to pay $99.00 to fix your PC from a virus.Every year at this time I get a Virus from virus protect pro, and others from a hidden codex in a video file from windows media player. The virus will rampage thru you pc and completely hijack everything. You cant do anything with your pc. Norton will list on there web site the day after that there is a virus def. you can update your scanner with ,to take care of it. So if you are lucky enough to connect to internet to get the download update you should be able to get rid of it right ?since they have the updated definitions. Well thats not the case I did update the virus def. and ran the virus scan and watched as it scanned the files and watched the virus infected files go right on buy with Norton not detecting it at all. So you call Norton to ask why the scanner did not detect it when you have the virus definitions to find it and then fix it. They say oh sir I can connect you with a Technician and for $99.00 they will fix you pc 100%.I say no... Why would I do that when your company has the virus def. Already and I pay you already to find this virus and fix it with my subscription. There reply is Sir you downloaded the virus on you pc and there is nothing you can do, it is your fault that you had done this, I will connect you to a Technician to take care of this. I again state that I dont want a tech. that your web site states it has the def. for this specific virus and the def. are available for download to your Norton updater. But it does not work,go figure.The operator then will say that your Norton will not be able to take care of it because you are hijacked, I will connect you with tech.. I then stated that so you are telling me that a hijacker has been able to corrupt Norton and now disable it and that Norton program is unable to protect it's own program? A long pause comes from the agitated salesman,and then he just goes thru the same old spun of crap again.This is done by Norton to get you to pay them another $99.00 and then by the latest program. What a scam...

• Da
    Dave Cotton Apr 23, 2008

For the attention of the manager,
    Dear sir/Madam,
    I am most disappointed in the manner I have been treated and the lack of response
    I have had to my emails. I have been a loyal customer of Symantec over the years
    and recomenneded your products to my friends and colleagues.

However, my attitude as changed completely and I will not be renewing my yearly
    subscription unless the matter below gets resolved with some urgency.

I have had 2 emails from you in 2 days reminding me that
    "Your Norton 360 subscription is scheduled to expire on May 21, 2008".

Its a shame you cannot be a little more responsive when it comes to ensuring your
    product does what its suppose to do!

As a manager of a technical department I would have thought you would at least have
    had the courtesy to respond to my email.

As for your technicians, I'm afraid my faith is quickly being eroded in their ability.

I would appreciate a response to this email and your intentions.

Regards

Dave Cotton

The issue has not been resolved in fact I wasted nearly a whole day trying to run your so called virus check...

The problem is:
    1. Spam is not being filtered in Outlook Express.

I went onto the link you sent and I can get no further than "Downloading Active X Controls"
    Even when I carry out all the suggestions in your help section going to tools in Explorer 7
    then "Internet Options" /"Security"/"Custom Level"/ and carrying out the instructions. I have
    allowed "Pop-Ups" and it still will not carry out virus scan?

If I click onto "Security Scan" it downloads Active X and runs the security Scan Ok.
    However, it tells me I need to purchase your Norton 360 program even though its already
    on this computer!

Surely it should have picked up that I already have that installed? Can you also explain that why if I'm paying you
    each year for a virus program, why has it not protected me from any Trojan or Worms etc...

Ironically I have just had an email from Symantec saying "my subscription re-newel is due in May. I have to Say I will
    be cancelling this unless this matter is resolved quickly. I am very concerned that I have not had a positive solution
    to this problem.

I asked in my previous email for this to be read by a person in authority or a supervisor as feel there are some serious
    issues in resolving the problems I have.

Below are a number of questions I require answering please.

1. What do I need to do to allow Spam filtering to work correctly in Outlook Express.

2. Why cant I get your online virus checker to work (It gets no further than "Downloading Active X"

3. Why wont the virus checker I have on my Computer pick up any viruses I may have on my computer

4. What's the point of paying a yearly fee if your product is not checking for these things.

5. I'm still getting 'ccSvcHst.exe' error while shutting down the computer.

I have been trying to get these problems sorted out for the last 3 to 4 weeks which I'm sure you would agree
    I have been extremely patient. I would appreciate you giving me a telephone number of someone in authority
    I can ring so I can get some direct answers to the above issues.

However, bearing in mind the time and money I have spent I think someone should have the courtesy to telephone
    me (UK) 01785 256 049; Dave Cotton.

Please be sure and read all of the tread below and have the courtesy to forward this email to your Customer complaints department.

I feel that If I don't get this matter resolved in the next few days I will be reporting this to the trading standards or the relevant outside body
    that deals with such complaints as this.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
    within the next 21 days.

Subject
    Technical Support

Discussion Thread
    Response (Subir das) - 04/20/2008 04:11 PM
    Hi David,

Welcome back to Symantec Technical Support.

I apologize for the difficulties you have recently encountered.

This issue may happen due to some threat infection.

In order to resolve the issue run an online virus scan.

Please click on the url for more information regarding running online scan:

Title: 'Email is not properly identified as spam with Norton AntiSpam or Norton Internet Security'
    Document ID: 2004061809311436
    Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2004061809311436

If issue persists please click on "What if this didn't work" from the above lick and delete third-party plug-ins in your email client.

Symantec values excellence in customer service. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve this service we encourage your feedback. You will receive a survey which will allow you to rate your experience. You can also reach my manager directly on the following email address [email protected] Please quote the Case ID in your email.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Subir das
    Symantec Technical Support

Disclaimer :

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not follow any instructions provided within this message. Any instructions or offers contained within this message are for a specific person, system configuration, location, and situation. Following these instructions may adversely affect your system if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication. You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Customer (David Cotton) - 04/17/2008 04:40 AM
    Hi

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS EMAIL AND FORWARD TO A SUPERVISOR.

Re: Spam Filtering
    I updated to version Norton 360 version 2 about 4 weeks ago and at the same time installed the spam filter add on.

I have over the last 4 weeks been highlighting incoming emails which I consider spam by clicking
    on the Norton AntiSpam button, and then clicking "This is Spam" .

If you had read my email thoroughly would have read that I have been carrying out the procedure you have specified in your reply.

I have also been checking my Blocked list and Allowed list and they contain the required email addresses I would expect considering the selections I have made. I have configured my Client Integration to use Outlook Express.

I would have thought 4 weeks of me highlighting what I
    consider as spam should have been time enough for unwanted spam emails to place themselves automatically into the spam folder.

I have, since speaking with you uninstalled Norton 360 version 2 and re-installed Norton 360 version 2
    I have also installed the Spam Filtering Add On and carried out the necessary settings to configure it to filter out spam emails in Outlook Express. However, even though emails are listed in "Blocked List" they still end up in my incomming email folder!

I need to re-new my subscription in May and I must say unless this matter is resolved I will NOT be doing this but will subscribe to an alternative Antivirus and email spam filtering programme!

This would be a shame as I have been a very loyal customer to Norton for some 8 years.

I would appreciate your

Technical Support

Discussion Thread
    Response (Sonali Paul) - 04/15/2008 04:53 AM
    Hi David,

Welcome back to Symantec Technical support.

I understand from your message that still emails are not identified as spam and you are still receiving ccSvcHst.exe error message on shutdown.

As still emails are not identified as spam, I suggest you to train Norton Antispam engine and check
    for the issue.Norton AntiSpam's filtering engine attempts to identify spam automatically
    by using your outgoing email to determine your usual email correspondents.
    Over time, you can train Norton AntiSpam to reflect your personal
    preferences for receiving email more precisely. To teach the filtering
    engine, follow the steps below:

1. Start Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

2. Select each item that should have been marked as spam.

3. Click the Norton AntiSpam button, and then click This is Spam.

4. If you have set your options to ask before adding senders to the Blocked
    List, answer the prompt accordingly.

5. Open the Norton AntiSpam folder.

6. Select each item that should not have been marked as spam.

7. Click the Norton AntiSpam button, and then click This is not
    Spam.

8. If you have set your options to ask before adding senders to the Allowed
    List, answer the prompt accordingly.

9. Close your email program

Also, as you are still receiving error message on ccSvcHst.exe, I suggest you to perform basic optimization and check for the issue. To do so, please click on the URL below:

Title: 'Basic guide to optimizing system resources'
    Document ID: 2002061015214139
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002061015214139

If your issue still remains unresolved after following these steps, please reply to this e-mail with the exact text of the error message or the details of what happens after performing the steps mentioned above. This will help us better understand the issue you are encountering.

While replying to
    this message, please do not change the subject line of this message.

Sonali Paul
    Symantec Technical Support

Disclaimer

Thank you.

Customer (David Cotton) - 04/14/2008 01:42 AM
    Hi
    I'm still getting problem.Spam not being filtered!
    Request reference number: 080408-003801

I installed the version 2 update and then the add-on for email spam
    filtering (Anti-Spam).
    Below are problems I am experiencing...

1. Email spam filtering
    I'm using Outlook Express and the icon (Norton Antispam) appears at the top
    of my email programme.
    I highlight emails that are spam then click this is spam, the emails are
    placed into my spam folder.
    However, even though I have been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so NO
    emails are automatically
    filtered! The same spam emails come directly
    into my incoming email folder?

I have checked the folders in the Norton Antispam section and the blocked
    folder shows all the emails
    I have clicked as spam but they still are coming into my inbox of Outlook
    Express?
    and re-set Client integration as per you instructions.

Do I need to re-install? Please advise.

Kind regards

04/17/2008 12:02PM AUTOFIXVIEW

[---xxx:xxxxxx:xxxxx---]

• Al
    allen loretz Jun 12, 2008

I ordered your norton 360 2.o on may 21, 2008 & received email confirmation order #4387594312.But I could not download it for some reason & can not get ahold of anybody at symantec to help me with this problem.I find the system very user unfriendly & wish I could figure out how to get my $109.00 back thank's for nothing symantec your the best!!

• Su
    subhransu Jul 16, 2008

why norton antivirus 2007 including last update can not remove ieav.exe
    when ever i open any folder it shows that your system is infected.. download and run ieav.exe (internet explorer antivirus .exe) i found form google that it is the latest version of zolb.. so plz help me.. plz help me..

Jose Navarro Nila Nov 05, 2008

I have bought the Norton package 360 with the code key Norton TF6DQYXTD999GTRCT37TGMDJ9 and I can not install it in my Laptop, please say me the steps to do.

• Md
    mdp3395 Jan 27, 2009

my case # was 090127-002899. i would like to thank rajasekar for updating my system immediately.that is why i like your norton system 100%.i always get help when i need it and it is always prompt and fast. thank you to all that helped with the support of your team.

• Kw
    K Wirt Feb 15, 2009

I have used Norton Antivirus/Security for many years. I bought a new computer last summer. It came with McAfee on it. I called Symantec and asked how I would go about moving my Norton to the new computer since I had paid for a year. They acted like I was crazy and finally were to able to tell me how to do it. I decided to just keep the McAfee and not mess with the Norton. I received my credit card bill in September, and there was a charge for a one year renewal of Norton. I didn't realize that I had given them my credit card info last year so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I called and told them that I had not used Norton since June and I wanted a refund. I was promised that a full refund for the coming year would appear on my credit card within 10 days. It has now been 4 months and no credit on my credit card. I have written two emails to the supervisor with my unresolved ticket number and have not had any response. I had always thought highly of Symantec products. I am very disappointed that their customer service is so lacking and dishonest. I will not do business with them again, and I will tell everyone I know not to use them, too.

• Br
    brian Feb 16, 2009

Symantec wanted to charge me $100.00 to remove a virsus that their software (Norton Antivirus 2009)did not even detect. I used online chat support and was given a scripted sales pitch to buy thier service. The "support" person was simply trying to sell - no actual support for their product!!!

It is no different the virus that scams you into buying a "virus" protection program.

I use McAfee now and am quite happy.

BTW I wound up manually removing trojan that Norton could not - took 3 days

Maureen Robison Mar 02, 2009

We have been trying to fix the problems that our Norton program says we have. We are told that it cannot complete the fix. Your technician, Ganapothy, took control of our comput0r and tried to fix the problem but was unable to do so. He said he would install an updated program but we have nothing yet. Please update us on a solution to this problem.
    Maureen Robison

• Ro
    Robert Customer Jul 12, 2011

Norton has a new SCAM they on people when they offer a rebate. As of 2010 they now send you a DEBIT card which has an expiration date, plus charges when used. This means each month you don't use the card they bill you $3 it's deducted from your rebate. Plus if you don't use the card (its not accepted everywhere) they will just cheat you out of the total amount and say the card is no longer valid. At least when they sent you a check you could cash it, now you have
    all these new hurdles to get past to get your $25 rebate back.

• Ra
    Ralph Myers Aug 15, 2018

for two day your has blocked access to RBS and Natwest banking sites. I have spoken to the bank and been advised that this is a fault on your system.

I am sure you understand that that people are reluctant to ignore your warnings particularly where money is concerned. If these warnings are false the effects can be serious.

Please comment

• Lu
    Lucia Theuerl Aug 20, 2018

12/04/2018 - AP1254617863 - A$84.99
    this money was taken out my account without asking permission,
    and one month before expiring the first day of purchase (12/05/2017)
    my e-mail [email protected]
    thanks for reading - looking forward to read back from your services.

Jonathan Pettinato Sep 03, 2018

do not pick up malware in clean app but McAfee did.
    Why did Norton Mobile not pick it up and remove it.

• NortonSupport Sep 11, 2018

@Jonathan Pettinato Sorry about the trouble, Jonathan. Please get in touch with our experts at: www.norton.com/contactcs. We can check this further and help you. -raj

• Dr
    D&R Oct 21, 2018

The Norton Shopping Guarantee appears on some WEB Sites; I tried using and discovered that it is a complete HOAX. No money refunded for a change in price. Either they should provide a legitimate service or they should be put out of business.

Macmil Oct 22, 2018

On the 8th of March 69.99 was deducted from my account for an online back up that I don't and have never used. This has come off my account for 4 consecutive years and I do not recall ever subscribing to this. Could you please send me details of my subscription.

Anthony DeGiovanni Nov 12, 2018

I did not order a renewal from you and yet my visa account was charged 79.99. Please refund asap.

• Re
    Reviewer83861 Nov 19, 2018

Without my permission or authorisation norton stole $200 ot of my account. I would likemy details out of your system and no more money taken out of my account. I want a refund on a product i did not even order.

A.Nijnik Jul 07, 2019

I am Mr A Nijnik, Norton™ Security Premium subscriber under the name [email protected]

31.05.2019 I renewed my Norton, Order Number AP1283132104, for £69.99
    29.06.2019 I received second renewal, Order Number AP1285204558, for additional £79.99.
    See in added photos.

Please cancel the second renewal and return £79.99 on my account

A.Nijnik Jul 07, 2019

31.05.2019 I renewed my Norton, Order Number AP1283132104, for £69.99
    See in added photos.

Please cancel the second renewal and return £79.99 on my account

John Thornberry Jul 27, 2019

$174.99 taken from my account by PAYPAL because Norton had it on automatic deduction without my approval. I do not know what the product was. Same problem same time last year

Martin Tai Oct 10, 2019

What are you suddenly send me Monthly Report ??? I never reqeust any Monthly Report!!!

Pleaset top sending unwanted Monthly Report, it is a hated virus itself. If you do not stop this virus

I shall stop Norton immediately !!!

101 Harvest Moon drive
    Markham Ontario
    L3R 4L5
    CANADA

Martin Tai

• Ro
    Ronald Little Oct 13, 2019

I wish to stop using Norton with intermediate effect, because i am not Happy as they tried to get a payment from my Account without my Consent.Please do not try and get anymore payments from my Account as i want nothing more to do with Norton and nothing will change my mind.Thank You.

Charles Blum Oct 30, 2019

My bank account has been charged $41.99 for the annual renewal of Norton Antivirus however the renewal has not been downloaded or installed.

• NortonSupport Nov 02, 2019

@Charles Blum Sorry about the confusion. Renewal is extension of your exisiting subscription for one more year. You do not have to download or install anything. Could you check if your Norton is active on your computer? If you need any help, you can always contact us at: www.norton.com/cs

angry with FCC friends Nov 09, 2019

I have never used Norton on this PC. Now I essentially have a Norton virus telling me my subscription has ended and demanding payment! It pops up every several minutes and I have to close my web browser and start over!!! I will report this to the authorities. Imagine a anti-virus company that spreads a virus!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices