Super 8 Worldwidesuper 8 motel portland me unauthorized card charge

K

Saturday November 4 2017 my boyfriend David Engler rented a hotel room with my debit card. I was at work until 9 pm so I didn't get there until after that. I called him on my break & he told me the room smelled like smoke, I told him he needed to tell someone. I guess he told either a maintenance person or a house keeper. I got there later that night after work & everything was fine. We went & got some food & came back to the room. We went out a few times to smoke. Came back in watched a movie & fell asleep. The following morning Sunday November 5 2017 we got up early. I had to work at 9 & he had to be at the bus station to catch a bus to MA. We threw some clothes on went out to smoke a cig. He finished before me as usual & went & got us some coffee. When he was walking bask with our coffee I was just coming in from smoking & we both walked back up to the room together. We drank our coffee & packed up our things & I put makeup on. I used the mirror right at the table because it was bigger. After I finished putting makeup on I went outside to smoke again because I was sweating. I came back up to the room & got dressed. We picked up whatever trash we had in the room & threw it away. I use to clean hotel rooms so I absolutely hate leaving them a mess! Anyways we threw out whatever trash we had & put whatever dirty linens in the bathroom.. towels & face clothes we used. Gathered our belongings & headed down to check out. When we got to the front desk I asked if there was a hold on my card for a security deposit because I was unable to use my debit card the previous night after David had gotten the room with my card. She then had told me just to call my bank & let them know I had just checked out of the room & everything was all set. We called a cab & waited inside because it was freezing outside. About 10 minutes later the cab came & he went to the bus station & I went to work. This morning Tuesday November 7 2017 I checked my account & it was negative $13.00. When I looked it said Super 8 took out $150.00 today. When I called asking why they told me their was evidence of smoking in the room. This is untrue. Nobody smoked in that room. I am a single mother & work full time to support him. When I called this morning I asked her to check the cameras because you can clearly see us going outside multiple times to smoke. She said they dont have cameras at their entrances or exits. Also when my debit card was frozen why did she tell me to call my bank & say I checked out & "everything was all set" if it wasn't? Also when David got the hotel room Saturday the charge showed up immediately on my online banking. I checked out Sunday morning between 7:50-8:05 so why did they wait 2 days to charge me the $150.00? As I stated earlier I use to clean hotel rooms. I know what happens if you smoke in a room. The woman I spoke with this morning told me the housekeeper found ashes in the room. There is absolutely noway there were ashes found in that room. We definitely didn't smoke in that room but even if someone did before we we cleaned that room before we left. So after that woman refused to help me I called the cooperate office. She then told me that this has been happening a lot. People who have never smoked in their lives have been charged for smoking in a hotel room. I just feel like this is absolutely insane! Im a very honest person, if I smoked in a room Id be the first to admit it however I did not. & now Im stuck paying for something I didn't do, plus my account is over drafted $13.00 & I'll have to pay $35.00 extra when I get my check because I dont even have the $13.00 to put into my account. Your company literally took every dime in my account. I would not smoke in a room. I would really like the hotel to review the cameras maybe you dont have cameras at the entrances but you can clearly see us leaving the room multiple times so you can see were going to smoke. This is absolutely insane. I cant afford to just give away that kind of money. Not when Im a single mother & a simple night at your hotel is now costing me $273.00. That is the original cost of the room, the $150 I am being charged for no reason, the $13 my account is now negative & the 35 I will now have to pay for being negative. I just ask you review your cameras so you can see we left that room quite a few times to go & smoke. Also the woman at the desk told me I could call my bank (the 800 number) & let her know if there was a security deposit being held we checked out & everything was all set. Please get back in contact with me. My email is [protected]@gmail.com & my number is 207.618.2395 Thanks so much!

• Kr
    Krista Brown Nov 08, 2017

When I know what i have in my account & the hotel has my card on file I wouldn't be so stupid as to smoke in my room. Especially being a single mother. When my BF got there the room smelled like smoke! I don't think I would have spent all day on the phone yesterday if I were lying! Funny cooperate told me this as been happening a lot lately, I think someone at your hotel is charging people the smoking fee & keeping the money! Worst hotel I've ever been to by far..& to think I tried to be nice & clean the room before I left because I seen how people would leave rooms! I will absolutely be filing a complain with the BBB this is very unprofessional!

• Po
    pobarjenkins Nov 08, 2017

@Krista Brown I don't work at the hotel. If you truly think they were intentionally over-charging you, then you might want to consider contacting your bank.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Nov 08, 2017

Unfortunately even if the video cameras show you leaving the hotel several times to smoke, that does not mean you couldn't have smoked in your room as well.