Sunbeam, Westpointe & J.c. Penny's Electric Blanketthese new electric blankets are a rip off!

I've purchased 3 electric "warming" blankets since January or February of this year. I have listed them above. Honestly, none of them worked over six weeks (if that long). Once I got them up to a good, high heat...they freaked out & basically just quit.

I assume that the companies are so afraid of being sued these days that they won't make the good, old-fashioned kinds that our family used when I was a young girl. (I'm 59 now). Practically everyone I knew used electric blankets & I NEVER heard of an injury, fire, electrical shock, etc. back in the '60's & 70's.

I've Googled this & have read precisely the same complaints about exactly the same 3 products from a magnitude of other people. I mean it has literally become a joke among consumers, as well as in my family about Moma and her ongoing, yet futile quest for that ONE illusive electric blanket that would truly warm her throughout at least one winter season!!! I KNOW they do not exist...UNLESS...My husband has ordered me what is called the "Classic Electric Blanket" from the Vermont Country Store. One of the people recommended this in my Google search. So I read about it and I am hoping it's one that gets hot & stays hot...and that the company that manufactures it is not afraid to provide real heat to real people who are freezing to death at night! My crippled arms and shoulders won't allow me to lift a bunch of covers. I need that one light blanket which will be twice as hot as most people could stand.

WARNING! WARNING! Do NOT buy the three products listed: Electric blankets by : Sunbeam, Westpointe, and J.

C. Penny's Top-of-the-Line model. The second one cost $146. All cost well over $80 for only a double bed model.

None of minded work over 3-4 weeks.,,and the many people I googled reported exactly the same results. If the "Classic Electric" from Vermont Company Store ends up working, I WILL report back. If it doesn't, I' SURELY report back. Thanks for allowing me to "vent".

Dennus the Mennus Dec 25, 2014

I have bought 8 or 10 electric blankets over the years, mostly Sunbeam because that is usually what you can find. They work for 1-3 years and quit. JUNK. I've moved to comforters, PJs, and a heating pad for my feet. Also, you can pre-heat the bed up with a hair dryer. Much cheaper and nearly as good.

• Ll
    ll716 Sep 30, 2014

westpoint truly does not care about the paying customer!!!i paid over 140 for my queen size blanket first year controller went on one side year after the other side went bad sent it in to the company only to hear nothing in return i contacted them she put me off and put me off I'm still without the controller a year later they could give a ratts ###!!! buyer beware!!! they are junk dont wast your money

Noting Nov 03, 2013

I been looking for a new electric blanket . But all I can find is the one they call electric blanket. I miss the one with the silk edge and the wonderful fabic they use before. Please bring them back

• Me
    MemphisTigers Jan 21, 2013

Buy a new one, if you dare, and send the old one back in the shipping container of the new one. Don't worry about the old receipt; send your new receipt.
    Mine is now a year old, and it's been blinking with the E.

jonpat Dec 22, 2012

I bought a Sunbeam heating blanket and you had to turn it to the highest setting and even then it didn't put out much heat if at all. The start of the second season, it didn't work at all. I called Sunbeam and they said to return it but I told them I didn't want to pay the postage back. So they sent a prepaid label for UPS but it took over several weeks to get it. I got another one and now this one seems too hot even at the lowest setting. I'm going to put the heating blanket on the outside of my comforter tonight and see if that doesn't
    help. I really don't think I'm going to get two seasons out of this. Won't buy another for sure.

• St
    stp162 Feb 16, 2011

Another sucker to add to the list. Only one side works. We had this 1 season. We has the Westpoint model
    Found this on their site:
    Has an address and troubleshooting. You also have to send a form with your return.
    Their page is here:

deathbycold Apr 07, 2010

I do not have A DOLLAR TO MY NAME. The few items I have bought recently included the Sunbeam blanket because I couldn't sleep I was so cold and no sleep = no work. I'm SO POOR I USE THE BOX AS A DESK. I'm so poor I split Ramen Noodle cups in half just to get by. AND AFTER 2 MONTHS, NO WASHES AND USE AS INSTRUCTED, IT STOPS WORKING. I got it from Coscto, a place I trusted and loved. THIS IS NOT RIGHT. There are people like me who have to ration toilet paper and really value the things they buy. This is absolutely disgusting. Some people don't realize how their actions can really f*ck someone else's whole world. And that goes beyond the blanket issue too people, do the right thing, take the high road.

• Ce
    Cecels Feb 17, 2010

I will never purchase a sunbeam electric blanket again. I have purchased so many blankets and they don't even last the entire winter. When you call sunbeam to complain about the blanket not working, they want you to pay your own money to mail it in so that they can check (test) it. Why would I waste any more money on these crapooo blankets. I bought my parents a electric blanket 3 years ago that was not a sunbeam, and it still works as well as it did the first day.

Mark.g.t Jan 31, 2010

I have to concurr with all of the complainants, up to the originator. I bought a WestPoint Home blanket about a week ago and it now blinks E 4. It gives a perfectly fine military pay grade a bad name.

We used to have a waterbed, and replaced it after the novelty wore off. We might go back to them, if we can determine if they can keep their heater element working. It was NEVER cold unless the power had been off for several hours.

• Jt
    jtayloriv Dec 31, 2009

To any Sunbeam Exec,

First, I do not expect a reply or a resolve. I have/had an electric blanket PAC363D/K85KQP for several years. Only used a couple of times because I live in Houston TX. The blanket quit. Thought about replacing it but found that the China made blankets fail, a lot. It seems the global market for cheap labor and sub quality parts is not working for you. Please consider a re-design, maybe user replaceable parts. If Sunbeam improves the reliability, then drop me a line. The previous blanket, I had, simply was worn to the point that it needed to be replaced, after 20 years. Please bring back quality products that Sunbeam was once known for. Otherwise, at this time a sincere goodbye.

• Sb
    S Blackwell Dec 27, 2009

I totally agree..I bought a SunBeam king size electric blanket as well as a twin sized one and both of them have stopped working and they are only two months old..The only good advice i have is that i have a heating pad that i sleep on and it helps hold the heat in at night but it seems to work okay as long as i have a blanket on top of the electric blanket(then the comforter on top of it)!!! Do Not buy a Sun Beam Electric blanket

• He
    Helen with cold feet Dec 05, 2009

What does the F2 mean? I came to the conclusion, FU*KED TOO...don't you agreee???????? There is no answer, and no help.

margarita rosa Dec 05, 2009

You are all lucky! Why? Because my Sunbeam purchased on just this past Thanksgiving never worked a minute in its short life. Yes, I too associate Sunbeam with junk products. I bought an iron from them that fell apart very quickly with minimum use. I think the only thing to do is contact Better Business Bureau as this is a reoccurring problem that the company has to deal with in order to stay in business in the U.S.

• Ri
    RichG Nov 30, 2009

I bought 2 Sunbeam electric blankets last year. They worked fine last year but this year they barely get warm on the highest setting. Does anyone have a phone number for Sunbeam????

Deenas65 Nov 26, 2009

My Sun Beam is doing the same thing. Blinking lights, no heat. I guess I was lucky that I got a few years out of it. I hope my kids blankets make it through the winter. They got theirs for Christmas last year. Nothing but junk nowadays.

• Am
    AmandaBananaFeeFieFoFanna Nov 18, 2009

Same thing here. Bought the blanket at Costco and did not keep our receipt. The blanket only worked for about three weeks before it started blinking F2. Since it was initially working, we did not think there would be a problem and threw the box away. I have had electric blankets in the past that worked for about two years, so I would have thought that this one could have made it through a winter. Who knew an expesive electric blanket would fry after three weeks of low heat?

• Sh
    Sharon Creel Jun 19, 2009

We just had the same problems with our blanket...so add us to the list. Guess we have to find the papers and start our circle jerk.
    The Creels

• La
    lady L. May 28, 2009

I HAVE OWNED SUNBEAM ELEC. BLANKETS ALL MY LIFE AND YES I DO AGREE THAT THEY MAKE A LOUSY PRODUCT NOW. I AM 65 YEARS OLD AND I REMEMBER "BACK IN THE OLD DAYS" A BLANKET DID WARM UP AND KEPT THE COLD OUT. I WAS ON CHEMO FOR 6 MONTHS AND NO MATTER THE TIME OF THE YEARS, I WAS COLD AND SHAKING AND I NEEDED AN ELECTRIC BLANKET. I BOUGHT A QUEEN SIZE, A WARMING MATTRESS COVER AND THE WARMING THROW. ALL JUNK!!! NOW I JUST PILE ON A BUNCH OF COVERS AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. GOD BLESS.

• Ke
    ken_c May 05, 2009

Same deal here. WestPoint king size. her side is still nice and toasty. my side went out in the middle of January. E 3. wonder if theres a class action coming? I'd like to be in on it if it ever happens.

• Fr
    Fritz Steiner Mar 02, 2009

We've have a King-sized Sunbeam for iIguess three years now and it hasn't worked for some time. I hate to throw good money after bad. Is there a brand that actually will work?

Fritz

• Al
    alphaxdx1 Feb 09, 2009

Sunbeam heating blankets stop working and loose heat to areas after you wash them once, even if you follow the directions exactly. They want you to buy another every year. Just another example of corporate greed. They do this on purpose and try to decept the masses about saving energy and then extract more surplus by making a crappy product which will give them residual income. Capitalism has diminishing returns.

• Ih
    iHilary Feb 06, 2009

I got a sunbeam blanket for Christmas and it was heaven the first month, then out of nowhere, it starts blinking "f2" and wont stop, so I went online and checked it out on the website, it told me to unplug it from the wall and then the module, so I did and then plug it back in the to module and make sure it's secure, and then plug it into the wall, after doing this three times, I gave up, it's still blinking "f2" and now I'm without an electric blanket. I also think it's because it's been on for two days because I'm really sick. But I still want it to work!!! I'm very dependant on it.

saintcheryl Feb 01, 2009

I just wish I had read these comments before I purchased my Sunbeam blanket. My comments are "ditto" to "Heated for one month", Sunmbeam does not respond to questions. My blanketg heated for about 1 week and now it just flashes "F2 " over and over. List price was $139.00 at Penneys. Not worth $3.95.

• Lm
    lmtae Jan 26, 2009

Same deal, I've had this blanket for about 4 weeks and now it blinks!

• Ba
    Barney Rubble Jan 25, 2009

I bought a double size Sunbeam electric blanket hear in Tulsa at all-American Maggot Mart ie. walmart in the fall of 2008. I used it the first chilly night night we had in October, almost roasted myself, and had to turn it off; since October it it would only heat up a little at one
    end, around the middle of january of this year(2008)it quit working all together.
    someone needs to sue the butt off of theses company
    so we the public won't be throwing our Money away every time we buy something.

Just a little social commentary My grandfather
    was a jeweler and ran a jewelry store here in Tulsa before world war ll (the family business now manufactures church metal ware) my grand father
    wouldn't of stayed in business or supported his family
    if he sold the garbage products and used the business practices like these electric blanket companies do.

• Bi
    Bill Dec 14, 2008

WOW!!! “Westpoint Homes” should see these posts…We picked up two of them, two years ago ( I feel pretty lucky after reading all of these posts), got one and a half winters out of them before they started to act up and were put away.
    We pulled them out tonight, plugged them in…and you guessed it…nothing but “3” and “E”s and no heat.
    I went online to see if I could find a solution and found all of these posts and decided I would chime in too…all I can say is “Made in China”…what a piece of junk.

• Te
    Terry Dec 05, 2008

Great. We just bought a king-size WestPoint Home electric blanket today from Linen & Things. And like so many others, it does not work. Error code E3 on both sides. Tried all the suggestions. So with LNT's status, it looks like we might be stuck with this. Has anyone gotten a good response from the manufacturer?

• Di
    Diane Dec 03, 2008

I too can join the long list of people who own the Expensive yet useless Sunbeam Electric Blanket!!!

Joe Dec 03, 2008

I guess I should feel lucky as I did get a full winter's use out of my overpriced "Sunbeam" king sized heating blanket. I pulled it out for use a couple of weeks ago and it's become completely worthless! Like someone else mentioned, I now assosiate the name "Sunbeam" with junk!

• To
    tom Nov 22, 2008

I purchased 2 of sunbeam's queen sized electric blankets last fall from Wal Mart. Neither one of them lasted the winter, both of them quit heating. Too bad I misplaced my sales receipt. What a rip-off and a total waste of money. These blankets were expensive! I'll never, ever purchase another Sunbeam product again

• Pf
    pfeifest Nov 22, 2008

We have a Sunbeam doing the same thing... not heating up and just sits there and blinks. For the $ it is a piece of junk. Unfortunately, I now associate all Sunbeam products with the same "junk" status as this blanket.

I'm going to just get another one the day after Thanksgiving and take the non-working one back. Whoops... did I just say that.

• Sh
    sheila jeffers Nov 15, 2008

i purchased a sunbeam electric blanket, used it 1 winter, and it does not work now, it wont heat up, controls just blink off and on, i paid alot of money for this product and looked forward to using it this winter i am very disappointed, that my sunbeam electric blanket, wont work, my home phone number is [protected] i live in milford illinois, 60953 at 105 east main street, I am unenployed now, and cant afford to buy another blanket,

• Na
    Nate Nov 09, 2008

We are on our second Sunbeam electric blanket. This one, too, only gets barely warm after less than a season of use.

I contacted Sunbeam, and they sent me an RMA number. Problem is, they want me to package it up and ship it at my expense back to them, then they'll determine if the unit is still in warranty (since I don't have my receipt - I purchased it last fall) and if it's not they'll send me an estimate.

Jane Nov 01, 2008

I have had the same problems with several Sunbeam blankets as described above. Where does one send the blanket for warranty work? I can't find an address anywhere on the Owner's Manual or Sunbeam website.

• Ti
    Tina Oct 11, 2008

I am behind EVERYONE on this sunbeam heating blanket issue?! I can't tell ya how many Ive bought..and I thought it was just me?! I have about 7 of them laying around my house right now..not counting the couple I got rid of and NONE of them work!!! For what they cost..youd think theyd AT LEAST work thru ONE WINTER..come on now?! This company really should compensate people..especially when they say 5 year warranty of them...NONE of them make it a year...?! Im searching now for a way to email them?!

• Fr
    Frustrated former customer Apr 25, 2008

I thought I was imagining that I was freezing to death. I couldn't believe it was the new electric blanket giving out after two months. But I hate to be cold, so I tossed the old one and bought another. Three months later it too quit. The next one lasted even less time. They are all variations of Sunbeam so they obviously have a problem.

The fourth time I bought a replacement at Macys as they will take back anything that is a problem during the first six months. I figure the new one won't last that long and hopefully Macys will replace it. This is getting ridiculous!

• Te
    Terry Beaudry Feb 18, 2008

I got my Sunbeam electric blanket in October in hopes of a warm, toasty winter instead of freezing like I typically do. Well forget that idea with this blanket!

The blanket only heats to about a level 1 or 2 if that, most of the time there's no heat from it at all even when I have it turned onto "HIGH".

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt (Costco) so I can't even get my money back.

So... long story short, don't waste your money on this worthless blanket!

Angry Jan 25, 2008

I totally agree with the poster. I bought a sunbeam electric blanket back in december and at first it got nice and warm, kept me toasty all night. Now its almost February and now the thing wont even heat up any more, if it does its so minimal that it doesnt even matter. I emailed sunbeam and got an automated response of "we've received a high volume of emails, you email will be processed in the order it was received"

A high volume of emails, gee I cant even begin to imagine why!
    Dont buy sunbeam!! it wont work after a month!!I did some research and I saw MANY people had this problem. I guess we will see if they respond to my complaint.

• Ji
    Jim Lucas Jan 19, 2008

We LOVE the feel and quality of the blanket itsself, but we had the same problem with three different blankets -- all Westpoint higher end warming blankets (different sizes). There is a 5 year warranty. We sent in the blankets and controls since the problem was of a code that required this (according to their support people). They returned two blankets with merely a post it in the box -- and no remotes. We're now starting over in finding out what we need to do since no paperwork came in the box at all. This is definately a pain!

• Vi
    Victoria Burns Jan 15, 2008

I purchased a WestPoint electric blanket from JC Penneys in October of '07. I paid $140.00 for a king sized blanket.

Within 3 weeks one side would only heat up by using the #4 setting or the #9. Nothing lower, nothing higher. At this point the blanket will only heat up to the #4 setting and I doubt it gets that warm.

This weekend the other side completely quit. Nothing. It won't even shut off. It just keeps blinking the E for error. We have to unplug it from the wall.

The blanket came with a 5 yr. warranty...I just emailed the company about my problem...I'll let you know if they replace my controls. As they should per the warranty.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster. DON'T waste your money on a WestPoint (by Martex) blanket. Not worth the money.