Sunbeam Electric Blanketsmultiple product failures!

R

Below is a history of my complaints with Sunbeam:

Dear Laura L.:

Thank you for your response.

As was stated in my first email message to you, the voltage and electricity system here in Taiwan is the same as the USA and Canada. There is no need for a converter.

In the event, I have decided what I will do. I will return the defective product to the place of purchase in Vancouver, Canada, on my next visit there. They (The Bay) are a service oriented business and will refund my money and take care of returning the blanket to you.

You may be interested to know that I am not alone in my experiences with your products. Simply Google "Sunbeam electric blanket complaints" and you will see what I mean.

I will add my own story to these sites: two product failures involving Sunbeam blankets that failed in less than one year, subject to a supposed 5-year warranty which is inconvenient and impractical to enforce, and which involved 4 weeks of ultimately unsatisfactory communications with your service center.

Very truly yours,

Richard

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Consumer Services consumeraffairs AT spemail.esecurecare.net
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:06:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: Blankets - SUNBEAM HEATED PRODUCT STYLE 83E [Incident:

[Incident: [protected]]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Laura L) - 01/27/2007 08:06 PM
Dear richard,

Thank you for your E mail. My name is Laura L and I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

As was stated in the first response to your first email: "All products which are sold in the United States and Canada are manufactured and UL approved for 110-120 voltage. We do not recommend the use of a converter with our products. Converting the electricity may cause the product not to work properly. Although it may be possible to use a voltage converter with one of our products, we do not recommend using them. We do not have any information on specific voltage converters so we cannot recommend that one be used. Use of this product with any other than the recommended power source and supply voids the warranty."

And as was stated in a consequent email to your further queries: " The blanket service center is unable to ship outside of the United States however, so in order to have the blanket returned, you must have a U.S. address for it to be sent to. Whomever lives at that address would then need to ship the blanket to you overseas."

Unfortunately, we do not have any service centers in your area that will be able to service you. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Sincerely,

Laura L
Sunbeam Consumer Services

Customer (RICHARD) - 01/26/2007 01:40 AM

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for your message.

The product was purchased in Canada and I reside in Taiwan. The reason I am communicating with you about this is that the user manual states, in bold type, DO NOT RETURN THIS PRODUCT TO THE PLACE OF PURCHASE. I note too that at the bottom of that particular page of the manual, it states that the product is "Imported and distributed by Sunbeam Corporation (Canada) Ltd" and that there is a Canadian address, namely 5975 Falbourne Street, Mississauga, Ontario.

Now I am willing to incur the shipping cost of returning the product to you in the US, or to your Canadian address, but I cannot provide a US shipping address (and I don't see anything in the warranty requiring me to do that). You would really need to either return it to me here in Taiwan, or I can provide a Canadian shipping address.

I note again that this is the second product failure under warranty that I have experienced with identical Sunbeam products. I was willing to forget about the first one, but this latest failure--coming in id-winter--is very frustrating.

Finally, I note that the product is made in China, which is right next door, geographically speaking. Why not suggest to me that I return it there, and that your factory send me a new one back? That seems to make the most sense to me.

Very truly yours,
Richard

• Ei
    Eileen Waits Feb 13, 2012

I bought a full sized electric blanket from Sunbeam, used it a few times, and now it barley gets warm, i have had it for several months, i don't have any receipts, i thought it would work...I just thought i would tell the company about this blanket, i was disappointed, but i am on the losing end, next time i will be sure to keep all my receipts..thanks, and have a good day..

• Br
    Briana Lee Sep 05, 2018

My heating blanket has stopped working in a matter of a couple of months. It was 90$, so I expected it to work. I've reset it several times with the sunbeam instructions, and when it's on high it's barely warm. I'm disappointed with this purchase. I bought it for my anemia, and now it does not work.

• Th
    Theresa de Wet Oct 15, 2018

I can't find an agent in whole RSA (South Africa). Looking for cord for SUNBEAM Supreme Electric Wok with Glass Lid. Model No. SSW 000 230-240V - 50Hz 2000W Do not immerse. Please assist me with an agent nearby me. Location - RSA. Town. Nelspruit. Mbombela.

Comments

• Li
    Lildreamer Nov 12, 2018

I am beyond mad! I paid $89.00 for my blanket. The first winter it worked ok, but I had to turn it up to high. The second winter, I set it up and plugged it in. The controllers are flashing and it doesn't get warm. What a waste of money I don't have!! Can I get a replacement? I have medical issues and need my blanket.

[email protected]

• Ik
    Ikilledcupid Feb 25, 2019

Joining the "Blinking red light" club, plugging and unplugging it to "reset" doesn't frikin work! Used one season and now both the controllers are blinking and not working, I'm so FN mad right now!
    -BUYER BEWARE
    DON'T BUY SUNBEAM
    THE RESET STEPS ARE A JOKE !

• Ry
    Ryan Elder Nov 06, 2019

I have a king size heated mattress pad from sunbeam and it has only been turned on a couple of times and now 1 side is flashing and does not work. Unplugging and trying other outlets does not work. I've had several electric blankets and have never got more then 1 season out of them. Sunbeam you have failed so many people

• Ne
    Nelda doukas Nov 20, 2019

Ever year I purchase electric throws sunbeam go to sue them next year they do not work wash them put them away in storage .TAKE THEM out to use the do not work blanket is like new but control will not work I have 3 in that condition now. Sunbeam must have them work for only ine seasaon