Sun Life InsuranceNot paying Life Insurance Claims

C

My husband passed away on April 1, and Sun Life denied his Life Insurance claim, stating that the conversion papers were not filled out properly from when he went on Disability from work, however they new he was on disability and not working because they were paying his disability payments, but when he died they refused the claim, even though they were taking our premiums every month. Never once told us that the forms were not filled out properly by his employer.

• Ly
    lyd reyes Dec 20, 2017

Even for a small claim, Sunlife will not settle. More so with bigger claims-NO SETTLEMENT! Sad to know that many others were fooled by Sunlife and only regretted when claim was denied by flimsy excuses.

Anne Feb 26, 2015

Sunlife has been a pain in the behind lately. I heard that they were doing everything they can to dissuade claims and I didn't buy that at first as I never had problems before. Well, I couldn't agree more recently. I filed for an accupuncture claim two months ago and still is battling with them. My claims, only for a merely $500! Don't entrust them with your life insurance policy. If they are not willing to pay out a legit $500 claim, I can't see them coughing up $100, 000 insurance claim. Do not put your love ones through the pain of having to deal with them. Anyone has problem with them, I recommend filing a formal complain then go to olhi.ca to get the assistance to deal with them.
    In short, here is my story.
    1. Filed claims online
    2. Waited 2 weeks (even though they claimed to process claims within 5 business days) to get notification saying I need to send them receipts through mail.
    3. Sent them receipts
    4. Waited another 4 weeks
    5. Got a notification saying I need to provide the length of treatment and time of treatment.
    6. Complied with request, took a trip to the accup office and get the accupunturist to pen in those details on the receipt
    7. Faxed (had to beg for a fax number so they can process it faster, they will not volunteer it) information over
    8. Waited 1.5 weeks
    9. Notification saying I need treatment notes for 12 months
    10. Another trip to accup office to get copies of treatment notes
    11. Faxed over with a frustrated note attached
    12. Waited another 1.5 weeks
    13. Today I got another notification, guess...yes you got it right, ANOTHER request
    14. I need treatment notes for TWELVE months, the notes I sent them, apparently were not for 12 months.
    So I had enough. Are the processors stupid? I faxed over notes for my treatment claims. If I had NOT been to accup for 12 months but only for the treatment periods, how in the world do I give them notes for 12 months, for the period in which I do not go for treatment? Where in the world should I get this information from? They are asking for the impossible.
    I had enough. I am going to cancel after this claim no matter what. I have had better health insurance companies at my other work place and will go back there even though I have to pay more.