Subway Restuarant Chainpredatory franchiser!

M

I've been involved with the subway chain for a long time. They used to be legitimate, but over the years I have seen drastic changes. Today subway headquarters (aka doctors associates, inc.) is the worst bunch of crooks and con artists in the industry, and they are ruining store owners lives. Much of this can be verified on line by following the links to published documents, articles, congressional reports, forums and court hearings.

Read fortune magazine archives on how this chain led by president fred deluca has caused a record number of unhappy franchisees, defrauded landlords and violated laws. Discover why after a six year study, u.S. House of representatives' dean sagar concluded: "subway is the biggest problem in franchising and emerges as one of the key examples of every abuse you can think of." says cliff marshall, a franchise consultant for more than 30 years: 'if anyone in my family ever asked whether they should buy a subway, I would say absolutely not, no way. A subway franchisee who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation said the system "is a total mess." go here learn more: http://nextraterrestrial.com/pdf/FDeluca-Fortune%20March%2016%201998.htm

Learn how deluca violated connecticut's unfair trade practices act by pressuring independent sfaf board members to block owners he didn't like from running for office. Apparently he has no respect for legal statutes or fair play. Go here to learn more: http://franchisepundit.com/index.php/2005/05/28/what-to-learn-from-this-subway-lawsuit/

Read how deluca's franchise agreement forces owners with a legitimate grievance to submit to arbitration where there is no jury, few rules, and the outcome is binding. Arbitration companies compete ferociously for subway's business and deluca knows how to stack the deck in his favor. Florida attorney keith kanouse says, "i've seen over 300 franchise agreements, and subway's is the worst." go here to learn more: http://franchisepundit.com/index.php/2005/07/05/subways-deluca-loses-battle-with-franchisees/

In a perfect example of poetic justice, the wall street journal recently announced that deluca lost a nasd arbitration claim, in which he alleged the ubs caused him $193 million in damages. Not only did the deluca trusts fail to recover any of their losses, they also were ordered to pay $50, 000 to reimburse ubs for document-production costs. Store owners were delighted to hear deluca got a taste of his own medicine, but some worry that it will only fire his drive to abuse them more. Go here to learn more: http://markjakubik.com/2007/07/10/subway-founder-loses-nasd-arbitration-not-a-big-surprise/

If you think subway owners make good money, think again. A store owner in the us nets less than $26, 600 in profit, barely above the poverty level for a family of five. To earn a decent income, they must often work 60 to 70 hours a week and invest in multiple stores. The main problem is encroachment of stores. Even with more than 28, 000 subway's already open, they keep building more. The result? Average revenues per store are down some 8% from when they peaked way back in 1994! Go here to learn more: http://books.google.com/books?id=yNFN1OpnkBkC&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=subway+franchisees+lowest+paid&source=web&ots=l-dgtBas1-&sig=Of1ObbDdfXuZsckQcO2Vp54RAV4&hl=en

Consultant marshall estimates that 25% of franchisees are unhappy and suffering, while about 40% are "just getting by and making a few dollars. Barely a third are happy and doing fine, though many of those owners are also development agents who control the number of competing subways in their vicinity." steve sager, a departed subway agent estimates that half the franchisees in the northeast are suffering. What does deluca have to say about this? "it bothers me that people lose money, but I don't lose sleep over it. This is america." I imagine deluca and co-owner peter buck sleep pretty soundly indeed, both being ranked by forbes as the 207th richest men in america. Go here to learn more: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/54/BNPG.html

For most people, reaching billionaire status would be enough, apparently not for deluca. He recently rewrote the franchise agreement, stripping owners rights and doubling already inflated royalty fees for stores out of compliance of written guidelines. It also eliminates protection against encroachment, encouraging development agents to stack stores. He even added a loophole to take back the lucrative subway advertising trust which he vested to owners decades ago. Owners can't renew their agreement or open a new store unless they agree to the new terms. Almost immediately field inspectors began bloating corporate profits through increased compliance fines. Ignoring past policy, inspectors now mark owners out of compliance in several areas for each deficiency! Go here to learn more: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_23_40/ai_n16463127

Even more unconscionable, deluca devised a scheme to rip off owners by claiming high internal loss is royalty theft. Using proprietary software, he sniffs out owners suffering from excessive shrinkage and forces them to undergo intense internal audits. Owners who can't account for every portion of lost, wasted or stolen meat are labeled thieves and fined up to $50, 000! Those who fight deluca's illicit attacks are threatened with criminal prosecution or store seizure. Coincidentally, "shrinkage", a term prevalent in the restaurant industry has been stricken from the subway training curriculum since deluca's royalty theft crusade began. Go here to learn more: http://subwayfranchisee.blogspot.com/2005/04/compliance-issues-at-subway-real-or.html

What help can store owners who suffer from chronic shrinkage or compliance problems expect? Does deluca offer additional training and support to help them get their losses under control and their stores back into compliance? Just the opposite. He dangles eviction notices over their heads and charges them huge fines! The u.S. Small business administration even stopped lending to subway owners until deluca removed a contract clause that gave him the power to seize any store without cause. Go here to learn more: http://nextraterrestrial.com/pdf/FDeluca-Fortune%20March%2016%201998.htm

Franchisees fear that deluca may have bolder plans to cannibalize the chain. For years he pressured owners to abandon cash registers in favor of computer pos systems, despite dependability issues and a higher cost to own. When he encountered resistance, he simply ordered pos systems mandatory. Then he required all owners to connect their pos systems to headquarters, giving deluca access to every store's transactions. Using his custom software to monitor stores chain wide, now deluca can efficiently target owners ripe for royalty theft audits and spot inspections, boosting corporate revenues. Go here to learn more: http://storefrontbacktalk.com/story/081006Subway.php

Deluca appears intent to use more new technologies against franchisees. Some owners suspect that the subway technology department's pet video surveillance vendor dtt usa has conspired to help deluca spy on owners through live camera feeds being installed in stores. If deluca can tap into ring ups and video evidence then use it against them, they might as well kiss any hope of a profitable future good by. Is this the reason deluca's new contract gives him full rights to transmitted data? If you're a subway owner, here's a hot tip; if it seems every time you have a minor compliance violation, a field inspector mysteriously shows up on your doorstep for a spot inspection, big brother is probably watching! If this happens to you, obtain a copy of your dsl provider's server logs and have them scrutinized by an ip expert. If you are being spied on, take your findings immediately to the fcc or your state attorney.

Want more proof that subway corporate is corrupt? Investigate subway's legal beagle leonard axelrod (nicknamed lenny the ax), the architect of subway's contracts. You'll have to dig deep, the evidence is buried. If you're diligent, you'll uncover how axelrod was disbarred for brainstorming a scheme to defraud landlords. An illinois appeals court concluded that there was 'overwhelming' proof that subway had committed "far reaching fraud". An illinois jury awarded a landlord $10 million in punitive damages after concluding that subway had defrauded him. Deluca spent $1.3 million to resolve 72 similar claims. Go here to learn more: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n49_v29/ai_17847096

Once landlords wised up to subway's shell game, axelrod brainstormed his dirtiest trick; a way to skip arbitration by signing leases with landlords and then subletting stores to unwitting franchisees, unaware they were being used as de facto landlords. This way subway can quickly evict a store owner in a lease dispute and deluca is off the hook for the balance of the 20 year lease. An illinois court has called the eviction/ arbitration provision "unconscionable". Go here to learn more: http://nextraterrestrial.com/pdf/FDeluca-Fortune%20March%2016%201998.htm

What effect has deluca's predatory actions had on the subway chain? At a recent franchise convention & trade show, it was all too obvious. Attendance and morale were at an all time low. Store owners sulked by, all emotion drained from their faces, not unlike holocaust survivors. Some wore shirts printed with "I survived a dai audit". They huddled in small groups, searching for some relief from this nightmare. Sadly, subway was once the greatest opportunity in the industry. Today it's just the greatest con job in the industry.

If you're a subway franchisee and believe you've been victimized, your franchise contract prevents you from litigating, but you can take your complaint to your state attorney. Many states are moving towards franchise reform laws, some have already passed legislation. At the very least I urge you to post a report on complaintsboard.com. Their posts are monitored by numerous law firms around the country. Your identity will remain confidential but will allow them to contact you in the event a class action suit or criminal complaint is imminent. Any criminal act that subway staff may be guilty of negates the arbitration clause you are currently bound to. If you're considering joining any franchise, do your homework first! Predatory franchisers are popping up everywhere, forcing states to enact anti-predatory franchise reform laws.

• Vi
    Vijaya Patel Nov 18, 2018

I thought slavery has ended in the USA a long time ago but being a subway franchise owner is a 21th-century slave. The field consultant will constantly harass you every month and the subway HQ will send you the termination letter based on the compliance issues time to time to harass you no matter how hard you work. You spend all your money, put all your hard work, fix everything on your own expense and these [censored] come and evaluate you. Now the good thing is that subway is in decline at a faster rate, they have closed 909 stores in 2017, almost 1000 in 2018, results of year and years of exploiting and harassing its franchises. Glad that I will be soon out of subway slavery.

subway worker Aug 16, 2016

The strips were probably burnt, the sauce is practically pure sugar so it burns easy. I'm pretty sure it wasn't moldy, I've worked at Subway for ages and I have NEVER seen our chicken go moldy, even when I find a piece that accidentally fell somewhere behind a box or something and has been sitting for awhile, it's so processed that it just dries out.

They make your sub in front of you as you order too, did you not notice?

However, if the sub was not made properly and you didn't eat it then if you have brought back the whole thing they absolutely should've given you your money back for it.

• JuliePooh51265 Jul 18, 2016

next time ask for it on the side. then you can pour as much or as little as you wish. Could be that your little and their little are just different.

• JuliePooh51265 Jul 18, 2016

that's why if I'm feeling picky, I have them put it in a little container on the side. then I can pour how ever much i want on my sandwich/salad.

• He
    Heywood Jablowme Jul 18, 2016

@ Winterlace_me: Amen sister!

• AerosmithandQueen Jul 18, 2016

I've given up on Subway a long time ago, tired of getting undercooked pizzas and food full of hair.

• JuliePooh51265 Jul 18, 2016

Subway has pizza? I've only ever gotten sandwiches from them. I get my pizza from Domino's. Never had a problem with either. I mean, I've had some that weren't as great as others, but never the problems that folks seem to complain about here. Maybe I'm just lucky. The only hair I've ever found is my own.

• Wi
    Winterlace_me Jul 18, 2016

If that is all in this life you have to complain about, God bless you. You must be blessed with a life of simplicity. Most people on here are not getting their deliveys not delivered and scammed for alot of money. Throw the sandwich down and tell the person where to go. I am an old lady and I do not take no s*** off anybody. But, how much could you be out $5 bucks. I know you want the sandwich the right way and it can mess your day up, but goodness gracious. As long as anybody lives and breathes there will always be some rude a**hole piss in your cereal. I am very sorry, but you got more response probably than someone who got really scammed. Get some buns, 3 kinds of sliced meat, lettace, picles, onions and make it youself, that way you can fix it, JUST RIGHT!

Sue21050 Jul 18, 2016

I ask for only a little sauce on my sub and the employee puts enough on the sub for at least 3 or 4 other subs. I've tried to explain that I only wanted a little sauce. I give up. I'm not going back. I don't know why they try to ruin my sub every time. I'm polite and smile and ask nicely for only a little sauce. I've heard this from my friends who go there too.

• Di
    disheartened again Jul 12, 2016

i would not have paid at all on principal... in the future be strong and walk out dont pay for anything under those conditions...there is always somewhere else to shop.stand up for yourself and whats right.

• El
    Elizabeth2 Jul 12, 2016

The school gave us a .50 cents off coupon to Subway for selling a lot at a fundraiser. When I used the coupon at the above Subway, I noticed that my charges were higher than purchasing without a coupon. I asked the cashier if a mistake had been made. She said no. Customers pay more when they use a coupon (does that make sense to any body?) I asked her why she didn't explained that to me before using the coupon. She said it was against company policy. Of course, they rip you off. I told her to refund and charge me regular price and she said she had already made the transaction; therefore, I ended up paying more with a coupon rewarding me for the great job I did selling.

mrfranchiseman Jun 17, 2016

OK, everyone who is Subway bashing with legitimate complaints. The bottom line is you get into this type of franchise as it appears to be so successful, why else would there be so many stores in USA and around the world.? Right? Partially right...
    You get married to a guy who is cute, has a nice physique, appears charming, etc...then you find out he is a bit of a slob, needs a maid not a wife, etc... and its time for a split.
    It is the same with Franchises in general, especially Subway. So do it for a short term and then leave when you are done with it. May franchisees have been in the system 20 years plus because they learned to work with it and get along and put up with some BS. Along the way, they made good money.
    Why am I saying all this? in 2016, there are more stores for sale than in the past and values have dropped 20-40%. They are all making money so do not take that the wrong way. It is just that the demand from buyers have vanished so they are few and far between making it a BUYERS market. Opportunity arrives in cycles. Here it is. But do not overpay and be careful out there. Usually the third owner of a Franchise buys at the right price and makes it, whereas number one and two took a haircut along the way or made money and are done with it.
    Buy smart.
    Buy stability.
    Buy a known brand
    Just get ready for the ride, accomplish your goals and sell out when you are done.

Need my 28 years of Subway experience? go to mrfranchiseman.com and write to me, [email protected] Any sellers out there?

• St
    steve976 Jun 10, 2016

I hate Hispanics

• Me
    MegMeg Jun 10, 2016

I have been going to this Subway for the past 6 years. They have the same Manager in which for the past 6 years has refused to speak english to me or my coworkers. Most of the staff has a very very bad attitude. Today July 21, 2009 I had ordered Black Forest Ham the woman started a Tuna. How do you get Tuna from Black Forest Ham? Then when I corrected her she scrapped off the tuna and put the ham on the same bread. I tripped I told her "Toss it" I will not nor my coworker will eat a tuna flavored ham sadwhich. So I got a new on, but the sandwhich was apparently too plain for them. I already went threw two more sandwiches and that one was still open waiting. I told them more than 5 times "Thats it". Then again I didn't say it in spanish so the message was never delivered. I am Hispanic and I do know some spanish. I try to communicat with them in spanish to ensure my orders, but the entire staff refuses to respond to it. Uggg this is obviously not only my problem apparently Toronto has to deal with the same problem.

• Valerie Jun 09, 2016

The incompetent manager halted production of sandwiches for customers who showed up at the store for 30 minutes while they completed Fax Orders. I think it's ridiculous to put Fax orders ahead of customers who actually take the time to walk in to your store. The manager said something about "sorry, it was a large order." It took me 45 minutes to get my sandwich and get out of there. Next time, we're going to Blimpies -- everyone in line was angry.

Antoineh Apr 20, 2015

Hello, I'm a french journalist working for french television. I'm currently investigating on Subway. If anyone accept to talk to me about the way Subway treat their franchisees, please contact me: [email protected] It would be very helpful, thank you.

chitikela Dec 12, 2013

Hi Kindly reply to this mail,

I have gone to subway along with my 3 friends, we have ordered WAH 55 (Normally i see through online as WAH 50 but it's there as WAH 55. i.e. for RS: 55.) To our surprise can you imagine a WAH 55 without ALOO Patty, according to me the WAH 55 is nothing but the bread along with ALOO PATTY and the vegetables but for me its just given only with vegetables. I am the regular customer to this store as my office is located near to it. when we were about to pay for our order then ABDUL the ASST.MANAGER of the store was just asking us that you are the regular customer haven’t you seen that the WAH 55 is with no ALOO PATTY, He said she forgot to include ALOO PATTY in it. Is it my duty to tell them that they have missed while preparing the WAH 55. I along with my friends where having some chat. ABDUL ASST.MANAGER later asked us to wait and he reopened the same sub and added the ALOO PATTY . You can observe how it will be after completing the sub and again reopen and just add the ALOO PATTY and just give the same sub. And it’s cool you can think of it. That's how my bad experience with the SUBWAY.

In accordance to this complaint filed by me, my friend has been treated in this way:

My friend RGR,

I have been to Subway Store #56228 (radhakrishnan salai, opp to city center-600004 )
    on 30/11/2013 myself and my friends went to subway, one of my friend has registered a complaint against subway .(complaint no #400625)
    on (5/12/2013) at 1:20pm i went to subway with my colleague, i just ordered sub of the day, all of the sudden the owner of the shop came out and he is shouting...myself and my colleague(Girl) to get out of the shop and told me not to come again, everyone in the store was staring and astonished on us ...i asked why??? he replied me -- why u complained about our store and he is saying that he will call police...i asked what is the need of police here...he replied i will file a complaint against 4 of you for teasing our staff(Subway)...
    I am working as a software engineer and this is how they will treat a regular subway customer????
    If they would like to talk to a regular customer is this the way to speak??
    If necessary for the owner to speak to a customer there is certain process or ethics to be followed, he cannot just arrogantly speak to me in front of other customers who were in the store.
    The complaint was registered by one of my friend and not by me, they need to first confirm the person whether i am the right person who had complained on behalf of subway.
    They cannot straight away arrogantly speak to me in front of everyone prior knowing the right person.
    This is an international brand is this the way to treat a regular customer???
    i am totally disappointed with this, never again i am ready to go to any of the subway .
    unless and until i get a proper response and apology from the concerned person who is involved in this, i am not going further to subway.
    This is the bad reputation on international brand like this.
    This is not a road side store, i guess it’s an international brand they cannot speak like cheap people as on road side .

Regards,
    Praveen,
    +91 [protected].

• Ky
    Kyaliesnana#1 Nov 17, 2013

I visited Subway on 9901 New Kings Rd. on11/17/13 at 1:26pm which my receipt showed 10:26am an ordered a foot long steak, egg and cheese and was charged for extra meat. When I asked the lady (Erin) why she only put 1 tray of meat on my foot long she replyed that the foot long only got 1 tray of meat and not 2. As well as 1 and a half egg. Which as much as I eat Subway I know that you receive a tray of meat per 6" sub. That was not the only reason for my complaint. There were 7 people in the store only 1 server she keep using the same glove on her right hand. She didn't acknowledge anyone when they came into the store. Once I got my sub I went to get my drink and the ice had black specks in it. The Dr. Pepper nozzle had crud on it as well so I had crud and specks of mold in my drink. When the other employee came into the front of store the other employee went to the back. Both employees were not pleasant nor nice as the other stores I've been to. this will be brought to the attention of the home office.

• Mi
    Mirky Sep 10, 2013

Searching for franchisees in southern California being harassed by DA that are still in the system fighting.
    Email me. At [email protected]

NO Shoes Jun 24, 2013

It makes me laugh out loud at people who want their fast food to be made in a sterile environment.
    Here's an idea, if you want your food as void of foreign germs as possible, then COOK AT HOME! It's really that simple. I'll bet there are more germs and bacteria in most people's home kitchens than in some restaurants, and likely the same amount as in most fast food restaurants. In the US it's very common and quite the norm for people to walk in the house with the same shoes they had on walking around the whole day at work or play. Those shoes pick up everything known to man kind, and some yet unknown, and bring those things into their homes. Then, they lay around on the same surfaces that have had contact with those same shoes. Think about all those people who likely used a public toilet facility at some point during the day, who then come home and never take their shoes off. Anything those shoes picked up, which is everything, is now in their home. How clean do you think that is? Yes, it's not 100% sanitary to touch a cash register and then continue to make sandwiches, but it's far less nasty than homes where people wear their shoes in all the time. Americans really need to think about that behaviour and CHANGE it. In our home shoes are left at the entrance and are never allowed in the home.

• Da
    Dave-Sorro Jun 17, 2013

I am sitting outside and have been hearing how Subway owners in Southern Ontario, Canada are pulling 30-50% profit. Most of the owners have multiple locations and keep growing. I also know that local Development Agents have special relationship with some owners and give favors to the one who kisses their butt. I.e. inviting Development Agents to home dinner, giving them gifts on special holidays is very common. Very unethical business practice is common among most franchisee, who happens to be East Indians. Most of the Development Agents give favors to their own community and relatives, very common in Southern Ontario. I wonder if Head Office keeps an eye on these crony DA and their corrupt and unethical business practices. Brampton, Ontario is the worst run locations in entire Canada. Maybe Mr. DeLuca should come pay a visit as a mystery shopper. Most of my visits to Subway locations were met with Indian workers who had no smiles and greeting at all.

Sandy33 May 26, 2013

I am strongly agree with DOINGTIME and have the same experiences with my field consultant.
    Hey Kingtaken, why you and others like you can't eat any thing without discount? That certificate you are crying out for is marely a piece of trash for us. If you were the subway owner, I doubt you would say the same. Mr. F Karim, I don't know what experiences you have with subway system. It was then and this is now. I have been working at store 65 hrs a week for 5 years. It's a living in hell. I believe you need to do some more and recent research.

mrfranchiseman May 24, 2013

I have heard many such stories, but you need to separate Franchisor induced issues vs employee induced ones. Your case is clearly a mixture of both, but seriously, you should be more hands on, involved and more in charge so that employees know who the boss is. If you had done so, the employee forgeries might have been prevented
    The fact that the Field Consultant had a less professional attitude to her work, might also have been averted if you and her had been more engaged and understood each other better.
    It feels to me as though you just wanted to milk the business for its cash flow, leaving employees in charge( of dubious character)...so they took advantage as you did not have a full handle on the business. HOW MUCH RESPONSIBILITY ARE YOU TAKING HERE???? Could some of this have been averted with your presence in the store????

mrfranchiseman.com, 25 year Subway specialist

Subwayower May 24, 2013

I just unloaded my Subway franchise and it was the worst 5 years of my life...everything everyone wrote about is true...and really much worse...Nazi like field consultants, non responsive DA's and headquarters inbreeds right out of movie Deliverance that know basically one thing...Kiss Freddie's butt. Every "new window" promotion the advertising materials a were wrong...and who pays for reprinting the new ones? Subway...hell no! The franchisee does!
    But I would like to ad another twist to this sad franchisee...The field consultant...lets call her Karen...not her real name...use to come into the store and would ask the employees how often the owner was in the store...She then would say you guys(sandwich artists) are doing a great job and the owner needs to be in there every day helping them...bad mouthing the owner to the employees created an adverse relationship between the employees and myself. The employees began to steal more...as they felt "entitled" because the owner didn't help them enough...It got so bad the assistant manager who processed the payroll decided to give 7 employees all big raises without talking to me the owner (me). She got a hold of a secretary at the accounting office and forged documents to support the raises...We finally caught this but not before over $4000 of raises went out.
    All this because of the Nazi Field Consultant !!!

Subway worse mistake a person can make in their life.

gttt Apr 28, 2013

There was a lady at subay preparing a large order of subs and she also did my order. I watched the lady make my sub with her gloves (as though to imply she was being hygenic) Then she went and handled the cash register with those same gloves to finish my order. Then I watched her go back to making the large order of subs with those SAME gloves! I complained to her about this and she explained that what she did is ok because she did not handle any money and just touched the buttons on the register. This is discusting. Obviously the cash register is covered with germs from people touching it with unwashed hands and also handling money there! And another thing that I noticed was that my cup of water from there smelled fishy. 2100 white bear ave maplewood, in the community center.

gty Apr 28, 2013

There was a lady at subay preparing a large order of subs and she also did my order. I watched the lady make my sub with her gloves (as though to imply she was being hygenic) Then she went and handled the cash register with those same gloves to finish my order. Then I watched her go back to making the large order of subs with those SAME gloves! I complained to her about this and she explained that what she did is ok because she did not handle any money and just touched the buttons on the register. This is discusting. Obviously the cash register is covered with germs from people touching it with unwashed hands and also handling money there! And another thing that I noticed was that my cup of water from there smelled funny. Why is that?This happened at the 2100 white bear ave maplewood, in the community center.

gty Apr 27, 2013

ubway complaint: There was a lady at subay preparing a large order of subs and she also did my order. I watched the lady make my sub with her gloves (as though to imply she was being hygenic) Then she went and handled the cash register with those same gloves to finish my order. Then I watched her go back to making the large order of subs with those SAME gloves! I complained to her about this and she explained that what she did is ok because she did not handle any money and just touched the buttons on the register. This is discusting. Obviously the cash register is covered with germs from people touching it with unwashed hands and also handling money there! And another thing that I noticed was that my cup of water from there smelled fishy. This is something I often ( but not always) notice about water from fast food places! This can't be healthy. I wonder why it has this smell? This happened at the 2100 white bear ave maplewood, in the community center.

• Mo
    monstersquad Mar 17, 2013

Its a special request to not have your chicken heated. Didnt you watch her put it in the microwave?

• Id
    Idocare Feb 06, 2013

so you were rude to him and he was rude back? I would have ignored you as well
    "and there was too much salad dressing for my liking".
    Didn't you watch them make your sandwich?

AnnoyedfromCanada Feb 04, 2013

On December 29, 2012, I visited one of your establishments at 50 SE 20th Avenue in Deerfield Beach, Florida, at approximately 3:10 p.m. I ordered a double chicken salad. Once I sat down, I discovered the chicken had been warmed up, which melted the cheese, and there was too much salad dressing for my liking. So, I approached the cash register where I told the gentleman the issues and that the salad would have to be remade.

He didn't even address me and turned immediately to the girl next to him making subs and told her the situation. She then told the girl who made the salad at which point I heard, “She didn't tell me she didn't want the chicken warmed up.” My first question to you is, why do I need to tell her? Shouldn't she be asking the customer their preference in the first place?

The manager of this location, whose name I cannot reveal, as he would not divulge this information, so for all intensive purposes, he will be named “Bob”, heard the commotion and asked what the issue was, addressing me in a very unfavorable manner. He completely dismissed the issue at hand and simply stated, “This is a Subway policy and the chicken has to leave our hands to the customer hot”. How this pertains to having the salad remade, I'm not quite sure.

Bob then turned away and continued making incoming customers' subs. After a few minutes of being ignored, I spoke up and asked the cashier if they were planning on remaking the salad or to just ignore me, their customer, all day. Bob began a shouting match with me, telling me that he told me to wait while they served other customers and said to me, “You're a rude person and I don't deal with rude people. I told you to wait, so why don't you go home and get some training on how to be nice.” This was quite hurtful and disappointing to hear.

As someone who worked in the service industry for more than a decade, I'm sure you know as well as I that you never talk to a customer or client like that, even if they are in the wrong. His job was to diffuse the situation and fix the issue. All he had to say to calm the situation down was, “Sorry about that. We'll get your salad remade once we clear up this line of other customers.” It would have been that simple, but he continued to belittle me and behave condescendingly in front of the other patrons by first offering me a refund and then refusing to give me a refund stating that he does not “take commands from rude people or give refunds to rude people”. Bob got so frustrated that he threw out my salad and even told me leave.

He then ignored me, even after I asked, “Are you giving me a refund or are you remaking my salad?” He said NOTHING and continued to cash out other customers UNTIL he found out my boyfriend was recording the situation on his smartphone, a video I would be more than happy to share if you would like a copy. Only THEN did he give me back my money and even said, “Thank you”.

I am completely shocked at the way this manager handled the situation. When a customer comes to you with a problem, regardless of their demeanor or attitude, your job as a manager and a leader is to be objective and to help the customer. I am told by this manager that I need training to be less rude, so after hearing (and potentially viewing) what transpired, what, in your opinion, would this manager need? I am absolutely disgusted with this situation; I have never been spoken to like that, thrown out of a restaurant, and embarrassed like this. This was completely the wrong way to deal with a customer.

If someone has an issue with a product you are offering, does this entitle them to speak to a customer like this? I can only imagine the repercussion this had on the customers around us as well as his staff. Every other customer in the restaurant was looking at us with their jaws dropped. If this is the poor attitude Bob portrays on how he handles this type of situation, his employees will only learn this destructive behavior. If you are looking to hire motivated people, as your website states, you definitely have a manager working at this location who is motivated to lose customers, which is no way for a leader to act.

I've always been satisfied with the service and food at Subway, but after this interaction, please be assured that I will be retracting my future patronage from any Subway restaurants, as this experience has understandably turned me off.

• Fu
    FUSubway Feb 01, 2013

I was PROMISED a $.50 raise a few months ago.I went to collect my paycheck today and my raise was not on there...again.I contacted my supervisor and left him a voice mail and I contacted corporate and most likely I will have to wait until Monday to get a response.This is the third attempt at trying to contact corporate about this and my supervisor claims to not know anything.Hopefully I get this job I had an interview for this week.F U Subway!
    P.S I know writing on here won't do anything about it.This is to vent.Thank you!

• Something tells me were the positions reversed you would not care at all. Fake sincerity is so much worse than none at all.

mrfranchiseman Mar 19, 2012

Again, I continue to hear about Subway and DA instigated problems. You have to learn to play the game their way and set a time limit for how long you will stay in the system before YOU get tired, NOT until THEY get tired of you. There is a Subway survival strategy while making money with them and Subway is a clear winner on that score for most owners-that is why you have so many multi-unit owners.
    Let's face it some people are NOT Franchise material and should be in business as independents. So ask yourself the honest questions and take some of the blame. Don't get me wrong, there is blame enough to go around to the DA and Corporate, but you cannot always bite the hand that feeds you or that of your theoretical "benefactor"...

Fayaz Karim, www.mrfranchiseman.com, Subway Specialist 25 years

• Cr
    Cranial Compression Mar 03, 2012

Anything else you'd like to get off your chest today, or do you want to save it for your next therapy session?

• Ke
    Kevin Ber. Mar 03, 2012

The little scooter comercial. AfricanAmerican male dehuminizing the White male on how no woman would ever look at him over him. NICE JOD SUBWAY YOU LOST ME AND HOPEFULLY ALL I CAN NOTIFY . CYA. HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS

• Ba
    Balitole Feb 02, 2012

I used to work for this Subway. I stop eating meat because store was so nasty and food was expired. Still served the dishes were never cleaned with soap. The bins of food in the front were never changed. Every time the health inspector came in, we had to lie to him saying the temperature log was done when in fact it was forged. We would put out moldy tomatoes and browning lettuce. Never cleaned the bathrooms.

• Sw
    switzer29 Jan 21, 2012

Paul is right each location can decide for themselves. I work downtown where I live and the location there is only open for breakfast and lunch and they never participate in any of the deals and discounts. there is a huge sign that says it, but the line is always long so they must do a pretty good business.

• Ko
    Koper Jan 21, 2012

I have seen on advertisement on tv that there is a $5 for a footlong special sandwiches even for the more expensive ones.however the store told me that the owner did not participate with the offer.

• Ji
    Jim Eddie Jan 17, 2012

My wife and I owed as Subway in 1993. Once a week we still talk about the misery we suffered. It sounds like things got even worse since then. I always had a feeling the success of the company was on the back of the hard work of store owners. We only owned the store for less than a year and it was the worse year of our life. I do feel the whole subway system is a scam and if you already own one, it's too late but if you are thinking of buying one speak to current owners. If they are honest, they will talk you out of it.

• Dr
    Dr. Gus Nov 06, 2011

Our DA Office has clearly demonstrated unethical behavior for years.
    What has been demonstrated so far to our local area franchisees, is that the DA Office and Subway Corporate are the "same entitiy".
    Some franchisees value integrity and honesty far above money. Those few will not stay once they experience the unethical behavior.
    The rest who compromise their values for the money, will stay, and will stay quiet about it.
    This is just a microcosm of what America at large has come to recently exceedingly suffer from. Excessive greed, above all else.
    (visit: http://evals.yacoub.net/evals.htm)