StopzillaFree version is a scam

Not to long ago I download the free version of Stopzilla in order to take care of certain problems I was having with my computer. The advertisement said it took care of all spyware, adware and malware that was on your computer. At the time I didn't have the money to buy a well known program like spyware doctor (which I have now)

After taking about 20mins to download and to set up, I started it and after 5mins of scanning It said it found 10 "infections".

But when I hit the remove button surprise surprise it said I had to download the full version in order to remove the problems from my computer. And this was only the first part of the shenanigans that followed.

When I went to the add/remove program in order to delete from my computer after about 10secs of running the program a message pop up saying "stopzilla has stop the program and is unable to continue." or something more or less to that nature. So the program itself was preventing me from deleting it. So I restarted my computer and noticed it was taking a long time to load up and what turned out to be the problem... Stopzilla was trying to load up at the same time as everything else and it ended up crashing the computer 6 times before it loaded fully and gave my the same message "to download the full version in order to take care of the problems"

So I called the company at 1.877.877.9944 and they told me the problem was it didn't download all the files. The only way they could think of to solve my problem was to buy the full program (um... no I wasn't about to do that) or use this link they would send me in order to help delete it. So I look up the link and ended up finding other people had used it and all was saying the same thing. The link was bad and it only deleted parts of the programs which ended up causing the computer to blue screen or just out right crash.

So what i ended up have to do was have a friend completely reformat my computer in order to take care and fully deleted the program from my computer. So do yourself a favor and spend the $30 on Spyware Doctor and save yourself all the problems.

John CDM May 26, 2017

I am seriously surprised to see a number of negative reviews for this product. I have used it for years and feel VERY secure having it on my system. I have never tried to remove it so I cannot comment on the uninstall issues. I first came across the product when I picked up some DNS hijack issue which I had a hard time getting rid of. Every time I reset my DNS the rogue software changed it back. After I ran stopzilla it completely fixed the problem . I don't care for the constant offers to upsell me but hey, everyone is entitled to try to make a dime. My ISP, my cell phone provider, google and everyone else is using me to make a buck - that's the American way. Bottom line is I like the product, it does not have any significant impact on the performance of my system and it is VERY effective.

• Gu
    guitarpicker321 Mar 23, 2017

I got stopzilla 7.0 2012 loved it worked great, then in 2013 they offered a $100 life time subscription so I got it worked great no problems. in 2016 they released 8.0 my computer updated then it would not work!!! called tech support. they worked on it (remote access) for hours, every weekend for three weeks or so still no go. big red X active protection off, error has occurred attempting to contact activation servers, threat definitions are required to enable active protection, so on and so on, tech said your computer is to slow, so I call my provider up the speed way passed what was required, still no go, they gave me a new registration key, that didn't work, then they said we are going to turn this over to the lab, the persons who made stopzilla they would call me to correct this problem. I called back but the lab person was on vacation for a week, they said they would call me when he returned. He must still be on vacation! It's been two months and still on call! so I got the stopzilla optimizer 3.0 paid for it, loaded it down load went fine, (NO PROBLEM CONNECTING TO THE ACTIVATION SERVERS THEN) so what I'm thinking now is to get rid of Lifetime subscription members they just fix it so threat definitions won't down to your computer, don't call you back, and say f>>k ya see ya.

• Ta
    tamulgin Nov 14, 2014

Should not have go that far into recovering your computer. Are computers new to you? Ever heard of system restore? Bar cane in mind, you can still ask for help.
    Keith

• Cm
    C M Vyas Jul 23, 2014

I had the same experience as john7777. If the stopzilla people care for the about people they must help get rid of the problem they have put us in with their scamware.

• Lo
    LonesomeRider Nov 03, 2013

My wife had downloaded Stopzilla on her laptop and then it was always going blue screen and ultimately crashed to the point where she had to buy a new laptop. To say we were pissed is a total understatement.

• Dr
    drjbcjrea Aug 26, 2013

If you have a dual boot system you will have to pay an additional fee for the other system. You are buying it for ONE computer but they claim that each operating system is the same a another computer even thought their is nothing in there documentation that specifically states that.

• Dc
    DCClark Jan 16, 2013

I also got the blue screen running Stopzilla not once but 3 times and after paying for the full version I had to delete it and all registry keys and my PC is back to normal but out $39

• Te
    tecniboy Jul 24, 2011

This is a switch and bait product. Once you spend all the time scanning, then it ask you purchase when trying to remove infestions. Also, it gets you on a mail in rebate.

• Lo
    loopey79 Jul 20, 2011

I recently as well downloaded what was suppose to be a 9.99 deal and was charged 40.00. When I called the company they sent me a rebate form which I filled out and returned to them like they asked with a copy of the invoice. It has been two months now and everytime I inquire about my refund I am told that it is being processed. The ad was very misleading and did not mention the 40.00 charge or anything about it being that much that you would get a rebate. I am very tired of calling and writing them only to get the run around I want my money back which they were so quick to take from me but won't do the same in return. Do not download this program as it has caused my computer to run very slow. what a joke and a bunch of liars. If I don't get my money soon I am reporting the to the BB Bureau.

• Ji
    jimhupe Jul 17, 2011

Advertised as free, but when you try to use it, they want you to pay for it and that is not mentioned in the "false advertising"

• Gi
    gimi Jul 12, 2011

Hey vdismark, as for google redirect you might try admuncher. Click at: http://www.gimi.admuncher.com
    I paid the full lifetime version, got a 10% discount by being admuncher fan on facebook. And I got no more redirecting and no more ad scams
    I hope this helps. All the best

Marissa333 Jun 16, 2011

Microsoft Security Essentials is FREE. Why people still pay for antivirus software is beyond me.

• Sk
    skforce Jun 10, 2011

I had never heard about this annoying company till this morning. This morning I opened up my browser and realized my browser has been hijacked and keeps diverting me to Stopzilla.com. I called the number and got the same rhetorical answers posted on this forum. The rep was eager to offer a solution for money.
    Seems like they pay virus makers to divert to their sites.

• Na
    nanasy May 26, 2011

I installed Stopzilla on line. and after my computer crashed, and it coust
    me 180 euro to fix it.
    The computer service tech. told me the soft ware I installed coused the problem. He uninstalled the stopzilla soft ware and instracted me not to install it again.

I want a re found.

Pirated DVD's Apr 18, 2011

Well, it's been 3 months since I ordered StopZilla and 10 weeks since I sent in the $30 rebate form. I called yesterday and one person told me they never received it, until I told them I had post office confirmation that the letter was signed for on their end. He then put me on hold and never came back to the phone. The 2nd person I spoke to told me that the rebate was posted to the account from which I paid the pre-rebate price. Problem was is that the date they indicated this occurred was before I sent in the rebate form. Now, in talking to their business office, I'm told they "will give matter the highest priory" and that someone will phone me back in a day or two. SUre they will. Three different operators, three completely different stories. I'm not holding my breath.

• It
    ItsMeAgain2 Apr 11, 2011

If you're looking for a free antivirus, Stopzilla is NOT the answer. DO NOT download. I have to agree with everyone else on here (and other sites as well). When you run a search for a free antivirus, Stopzilla is listed in with the others - not sure why. After a long download and an even longer scan, it lists a lot of infections - then when you click on the Remove button, you find that it is in fact NOT free. They try to bully you into buying the 'full' version. So, you've wasted time with the download and the scan. I've yet to try to uninstall this. Can imagine it's not going to be much fun in doing so since reading the reviews. RUN RUN RUN!! Download or purchase another antivirus.

• Br
    BruceBigs Mar 27, 2011

Stopzilla is a great spyware removal tool but I agree that the Free Trial is a bit misleading. Just be careful and READ THE SCREENS before you do anythig. Most of the negatie comments seem to be from stupid people who are just to impatient to read and follow instructions and then after inputing their credit card number and gettng charged claim they never gave that information.

Jack Whitwoth Mar 25, 2011

I have used StopZilla for the past 4 years and find it to be a great
    program. The support teams is great. I think if given a chance
    Is3 will correct any problems you have. Also remember "nothing,
    I repeat, nothing is free." It is all worth what you pay for it.

Hang with them Mike.

Jack Whitworth

• Vd
    vdismark Mar 25, 2011

I installed the full (paid) version of Stopzilla successfully and was simultaneously running AVG Internet Security 2011 without any problems whatsoever with them interfering with each other, or any messages or error codes. I have recently transferred all my settings and files to an exterior hard drive using Windows Easy Transfer, then reformatted and installed Windows 7 on my laptop. Following that I attempted to reinstall all of my previous programs. I reinstalled AVG Internet Security 2011, and then tried to reinstall the updated (paid) version of StopZilla, and all hell broke loose. I was successful in downloading the current StopZilla program directly from the official StopZilla website, however, every time I try to reinstall StopZilla it precipitates the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and crashes my computer. I then restart my computer and all is fine until I try to again to reinstall StopZilla, which again leads to the BSOD. I then cleanse my laptop of any StopZilla files, try to reinstall StopZilla, and every time I get the BSOD. I have tried several earlier versions of StopZilla (figuring I would update to current once StopZilla was successfully reinstalled) to try to avoid any conflicts or errors, but that still leads to the BSOD.

Now this is a paid version (not pirated) of StopZilla. I paid $39 for it, and was to receive a rebate of $30 from StopZilla. The purchase was made on 12/28/2010. Below is the tracking information regarding the purchase of StopZilla.

iS3 Support Rebate Check Notification from iS3 ‏ 18/03/2011
    iS3 Support STOPzilla Registration Key ‏ 28/12/2010
    iS3 Support IS3 INVOICE # M6720101228095642NZPM ‏ 28/12/2010
    iS3 Support Thank You for Your Recent Purchase ‏ 28/12/2010

Rebate update: Your rebate form has been processed.
    Rebate Check Information:
    Rebate Amount: $30.00
    Check Date: March 18, 2011

To date(3/25/2011) I have not received any rebate. Perhaps it is on the way ("the check is in the mail"), as I have
    not allowed for the full two weeks for USPS delivery. We will see. The best part about receiving the $30.00 rebate is
    that, if I do receive it, I will only have made a $9.99 mistake, rather than a $39.99 mistake. That is comforting.

As for the performance of the StopZilla product, while it was installed as the only functioning stand alone internet
    security program on my laptop (before I turned to AVG in hopes of better protection/detection/notice/removal), I
    acquired the ever present, and seemingly incurable, pain in the [censor] "Google redirect to paid advertisers" virus/adware
    /malware blight that has demonized and taken over all of my search engine capabilities, leaving me to depend on the
    "cache" versions of the web pages I attempt to bring up using either of my two web browsers (Mozilla Firefox or IE). AVG
    was subsequently installed to remove any lingering "infections" and further fortify my internet security. As for AVG
    Internet Security 2011, it too failed to cure the cursed "Google redirect" phenomenon, and too this day I still have to take
    necessary measures to get around its redirecting me to paid adware/malware web pages.

As former President G. W. Bush attempted to state, but instead created yet another Bushism, I will now clearly state in
    the proper wording and context to sum it all up. Fool me once (StopZilla), shame on you. Fool me twice (AVG IS 2011),
    shame on me.

Now, I can overlook the annoyances inflicted on me by the "Google redirect" BS, however...

Does anyone have "the answer" to the solve BSOD encountered when trying to reinstall my authentic, authorized and
    paid for, StopZilla internet security program. Although some, or many, may perceive my verbose rant as being an
    undertaking to the end of entertainment and enjoyment by the masses, those are not the intended purposes of this
    comment. It was actually undertaken not only to fully describe the problem and bring caution to those who may
    intend to purchase either, or both, of the aforementioned internet security anti-worry products. but for the purpose of
    seeking out, probing for, and obtaining the answer for curing the problem from those computer programmers or
    otherwise computer geniuses who might possess the knowledge and savvy to bring an end to this problem.

Thank you and much appreciation for any suggestions, and hopefully answers, that might resolve this most frustrating
    and seemingly unresolvable affliction.

• Mi
    mike berek Mar 05, 2011

I agree with john7777 actually Mike Becker is trying to pull another customer/computer user to whom they can make a fool of them...

There operating system is in INDIA with QUATRRO BPO which is handled by Raman Roy...Who's team look forward the Technical Support Group Process and the team always says that don't sell stopzilla as we don't commission from Client. As per them they say always sell Support Plan which costs $99.95 for ontime fix and they force employees to sell and customer's to buy Annual Package for $209.95 for 1 computer 1 year which means more commission/incentives earning from Client End...and they will say it will cost you $249.95 and when customer start saying it to costly they will say ok we'll give you discount of $40.00 and you pay $209.95 and take the service.

In the same way they have $309.95 product which they will say $349.95 for 3 computer's 1 year...

Like this they have other plans for 2 yrs and 1PC...2yrs and 3PC...
    OR
    3yrs 1PC and 3yrs 3PC...

They also cheat people who use IOLO or My Phone Support Customer's or My Faster PC customer's...

And this is being managed by Qresolve team in United States.

Please be aware about the same..

Just Type Qresolve on google you will find lots of websites...

• john7777 Feb 21, 2011

Ya And I agree it's a scam and after almost 2 years I'm back...just for this one time.

• Th
    thewood180 Feb 10, 2011

Run as far and as fast away from them as you can. they will bill your credit card a year later wihout authorization and they don't answer the phone when you call customer service. I had to cancel my card and have the cc company go after them for the monies.

Pirated DVD's Feb 05, 2011

Use your safe mode when you next reboot. As soona s the computer comes on, hit the F8 key several times and your should see prompts to open the computer in Safe Mode. StopZilla should be available there. Run it there, reboot again and it should be back on your regular screen. I had to do this today and it worked.

Pirated DVD's Feb 05, 2011

I picked up a Trojan Worm from Facebook and my computer went haywire. I was able to finally get to the Internet and installed StopZilla, which was able to delete the worm. Today, I downloaded a program which indicated that StopZilla would be temporarly disabled during the download and that a reboot would reinstall it. But it didn't. So I called the 877 number, and after 45 minutes of trying t0 understand John (with a heavy Asian accent), he informed me that StopZilla does NOT protect a computer from software viruses, only hardware viruses. He then offered to fix my issue (reinstalling StopZilla) for a mer $219.00. When I expalined that I just purchased a year's coverage for $40 less than 2 weeks ago, he went on and on about that being basic coverage (which the ads do not say), so I hung up. Magically, when I later rebooted the computer, there it was. I have very mixed feelings going into this already and it's only been 2 weeks.

Andrewshousha Jan 19, 2011

PICTURE GOES WITH ABOVE COMMENT

Comments

Andrewshousha Jan 19, 2011

If you download Stopzilla, you'd have better protection by downloading a virus, with malware also.

marek tecza Jan 01, 2011

Do not charge my Credit card beacouse I have anouther anti varus acount from trend micro

Abalone Dec 22, 2010

As if you needed a topic to blah blah LOL!
    For someone who takes personally every complaint on this site, or others..., well this last comment looks like an inflated balloon.
    I am not spamming but passing info about what is possible to happen to common people, who don't have your skill or intelligence : hackers can control your webcam WITHOUT the light on.
    So better MASK webcams with a piece of TAPE.
    This is no science fiction stuff anymore .
    And you freaking know it, crook.

Abalone Dec 21, 2010

Abalone Dec 21, 2010

Many people, shame on us and our ignorance, are not computer geeks... however they don't end up as the infamous Matthew Anderson and many of his brethren.
    It took five years to the internet police to arrest him, because the right proofs were not in the right hands at the right moment.

• Ps
    Pssdzilla Dec 20, 2010

I think Stopzilla's sales matheods are disgraceful. I was duped into purchasing the product for a lifetime, havng
    1) been unable to get you to refund me for an automatic annual renewal that I did not want, and been unable to get them to cancel the automatic renewal process despite my repeated requests (and your assurances), some of them by phone from the UK to the US;
    2) been shamefully misled by the trial version's uniquely detecting 'Trojans' whose presence on my system must have been some kind of invention, devised to get me to buy the product, which doesn't detect anything now that I have paid for it. It wasn't made clear to me that it only detects IE malware, and -- so I now read in the reviews -- rather badly at that. A big waste of money. From my experiences connected to the running of my system, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some built-in mechanism designed to slow one's system down in order to simulate the effect of a Trojan horse, when the trial versin is installed.
    The scans have wasted huge amounts of my time also. I shall speak ill of the product to anyone who asks about malware detection.

• Hi
    hillbillyvol Nov 14, 2010

I had similar problems but caught mine early so I used the safe mode to get rid of it. Then, they billed me AGAIN this year. I refuse to pay my credit card company the bill.

• Pa
    Paul_99 Nov 13, 2010

I paid for Stopzilla after getting an infection. I figured with McAfee and Stopzilla, I'd be covered. Even after it scanned and repaired the problem, I was getting redirects on webpages. Well, that's crappy in the first place. Then, I decided to run one of their utility tools to see what was wrong with my computer's performance. It started running and not wanting to sit in front of the computer for 30+ minutes watching it work, I stepped away. That was a big mistake because when I came back, all I got was a black screen. I can't even boot in safe mode. Hard drive malfunction as a result of Stopzilla.

• Ta
    Taken Big Time Nov 10, 2010

I purchased Stopzilla iS3 and was lead to believe that it also had antivirus protection. Then ended up getting lifetime for both computers before getting rid of Norton. Found out $140 dollars later that it only deals with Spyware and Tracking cookies. Had to purchase their Deluxe Shield 2010 for 1 year which included free tech support. Great deal right, wrong!!! Called with a question since after spending several hours saving, downloading, scanning, etc. (It found nothing by the way) both computers had message at bottom telling me that the antivirus would expire in 14 days. Didn't want to go through process again so I called the 800 number. The tech (All of which are in India) asked for permission to take control of my laptop. I had no idea why he would refuze to answer my question or needed to see my screen, but I allowed it. He ignored my questions and the fact that I told him my computer was running fine. Then told me that my system was in terrible shape and requires immediate attention that will cost additional money. I tell him no thank you over a dozen times and he refuses to accept it, the whole time referring to me as "my friend". I explain that I will hang up if he persists and finally do. Of-course my question is never answered, I'm pissed off, and I delete all Stopzilla software after realizing that their goal is to try to take each and every customer for as much money as they can. They do not care if you lost your job, have financial burdens, or are pennyless. They tell you that your system could crash any minute. Well, it's still working. They refuse to refund any of my lifetime iS3 money. By the way, Fry's Electronics told me that Stopzilla was the only thing causing the system problems.

Manfred @aus Nov 10, 2010

I too know that the people at Stopzilla are a bunch of crooks! I downloaded the free version and was quite impressed. Then I received an invitation for the full version at a special price of $9.95. That was too good to refuse.
    When my credit card statement arrived I found that I had been charged the full price of $39.95. Emails to the company were fruitless and they point blank refused to refund the overcharged amount as they insisted that the other money were bank charges. I'm no stranger to international transactions and knew that to be false.
    My bank agreed with me as the claim I lodged against Stopzilla for overcharging was upheld and I received a refund from the bank.
    I would recommend that nobody deal with this company, I certainly keep a wide circle from them and advise as many people as I possibly can.

• Dr
    Dr. Tiberghien Oct 31, 2010

downloaded and installed, looked up the viruses the "freeware" detected and violently pulled them apart in script, i then promptly removed said program because it also was digging in my reg and the ability to remove said freeware.

dr. tiberghien

• Gn
    GnJ Oct 27, 2010

1st off you can uninstall stopzilla very easy in your add and remove!
    2.the problem is if stopzilla finds any problem on your p.c. you cant do an auto uninstall stopzilla it has to be manual uninstall aka not very user freindly

• Mr
    mrc_complaint Oct 14, 2010

DON'T Reward this company for the use of their software. They use what I would call unethical practices to gain subscribers with bogus popups, scans and free installations that are nothing more and a permanent installation and crippleware to get you to but the product. I could not enven uninstall the product with windows tools without calling the company for the manual steps, and a purchased version that was cancelled 3 months after installing is still hitting my credit card annually for the last two years and the only input is a canned exact response each year that the account is cancelled and refunded, but then the following year the charge hits again... been going on since 2008.
    MC

• Hi
    hillbillyvol Oct 12, 2010

It must be run by the Mafia as the FTC does nothing to stop them.

NOKOOK Sep 20, 2010

I had a redirect virus. It caused me lots of problems. When I tried to find something, it would redirect you to some spam or another site. I bought stopzilla and it did not help anything. It said it found 700 different spyware and infections. It did not not find or fix the redirect virus. I called tech support and they said I would have to pay $169.00 for him to fix it. I did not have that much on my credit card. He said my computer would crash. I said I can't help it I don't have the money. I felt like crying but decided to put my symptoms in google. I did this and found Combofix. I clicked on it and it got rid of the virus. So far it hasn't crashed. It is working great. Combofix was free.