StopzillaFree version is a scam

Not to long ago I download the free version of Stopzilla in order to take care of certain problems I was having with my computer. The advertisement said it took care of all spyware, adware and malware that was on your computer. At the time I didn't have the money to buy a well known program like spyware doctor (which I have now)

After taking about 20mins to download and to set up, I started it and after 5mins of scanning It said it found 10 "infections".

But when I hit the remove button surprise surprise it said I had to download the full version in order to remove the problems from my computer. And this was only the first part of the shenanigans that followed.

When I went to the add/remove program in order to delete from my computer after about 10secs of running the program a message pop up saying "stopzilla has stop the program and is unable to continue." or something more or less to that nature. So the program itself was preventing me from deleting it. So I restarted my computer and noticed it was taking a long time to load up and what turned out to be the problem... Stopzilla was trying to load up at the same time as everything else and it ended up crashing the computer 6 times before it loaded fully and gave my the same message "to download the full version in order to take care of the problems"

So I called the company at 1.877.877.9944 and they told me the problem was it didn't download all the files. The only way they could think of to solve my problem was to buy the full program (um... no I wasn't about to do that) or use this link they would send me in order to help delete it. So I look up the link and ended up finding other people had used it and all was saying the same thing. The link was bad and it only deleted parts of the programs which ended up causing the computer to blue screen or just out right crash.

So what i ended up have to do was have a friend completely reformat my computer in order to take care and fully deleted the program from my computer. So do yourself a favor and spend the $30 on Spyware Doctor and save yourself all the problems.

STOPzilla Jun 05, 2009

Dear john7777,

My name is Mike Becker and I am with STOPzilla. I saw your post and wanted to take the time address some of the issues you experienced with STOPzilla.

STOPzilla is an award winning solution that successfully scans, blocks, and removes Spyware, Adware and Malware. We are one of four anti-spyware programs that have been given the West Coast Labs Checkmark Certification for Anti-Spyware Installed. We’ve also been awarded Cnet Editor’s Choice Award, Laptop Magazine Editor’s Choice Award, five stars from Tucows, TopTenREVIEWS Excellence Award and many more.

We do offer a free diagnostic scan in our trial version and full quarantine of any detected threats for 15 days. This free scan will identify any malicious threats that are currently active or dormant on your machine. Like our competitors, in order to remove any of the detected infections, you must have a registered copy of STOPzilla.

Along with our free trial version, we offer free technical support to both trial users and registered users. Users can reach us by calling our toll free phone number (1.877.877.9944), live chat and email. Offering this level of support is unheard of in our industry. Barring any extenuating circumstances outside of the service we provide, 99% of STOPzilla related problems or questions can be resolved free of charge by our Customer Support department.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments please feel free to call us at [protected] or send us an email at [protected]@is3.com.

Once again, we apologize for the confusion, and hope this response will allow you to try STOPzilla in the future.

Thank You!

Mike Becker

• Da
    David Marshall ssp Jun 25, 2009

I agree with john7777.

Stopzilla carefully words their ad so that it is very deceiving. Once installed on my machine, I had a terrible time getting it out without restoring my registry and backups. My xp media center was no match for the programming that went into that software. Since that install I have been leary of all internet advertisements that imply free assistance. CNET has lost its reputation for reliability and honesty in the process of its complicity in helping internet "Help" businesses to rip off customers. Too bad. The internet should have a "http://www.complaintsboard.com" for everything that is vulnerable to attack.

• Wh
    whitneyb505 Jun 29, 2009

I got a charge from StopZilla for the software on my Amex, but I never downloaded, purchased, or used it. Mike Becker, what do you have to say about that?

• john7777 Jun 30, 2009

But the sad part is Stopzilla is a real anti-virus program. It's just the "free version that's the scam. Once people get scammed into downloading the free version they are the stuck with it. They have to buy the full version or reformat their computer like I had to in order to get rid of it.

• Tj
    TjeerdG Jul 21, 2009

My experience is that it said i had certain registry entries infected, but when i tried to find those registries using regedid, i could not find them nowhere... Also my browser was trying to download something on start-up, but this was caucht by AVG, but when i deleted STOPzilla it magicly stopped...

If your software is "so good" than please change your marketing techniques BECAUSE YOU REALLY PISS PEOPLE OFF!!!

• So
    Son of Spam Aug 09, 2009

"Mike Becker" 's response doesn't actually say anything. He's trying to pull one over on computer users.

I saw the STOPZilla ad pop up during my browsing, and decided to go to Download.com to find out more about it. Out of all the replies, only one was positive, and that was only because he hadn't reached the nag screen yet. But then again, it may have been a STOPZilla troll trying to inject at least one positive review among the slags.

Someone there posted a link to this site, and I see there are more complaints.

While I have absolutely no intention of using this product (use AVG Free, people), I thought I should speak up nonetheless.

Take your scam, "Mike Becker" (or whatever your name really is) and Shove It.

• Kl
    klem57 Aug 20, 2009

All I know is it worked for me where AVG and AdAware did not.
    I had a couple of malicious anti-spyware programs auto install on my pc at work. AVG missed 'em, AdAware couldn't find them (and yes, I update them daily, sometimes twice a day).
    I ran the free sweep from STOPzilla and it found them. Yes, I had to pay $10 for the full version in order to remove them, but hey, I charge $60 an hour for my time at my shop. An hour for me to research the problem instead of getting work done when $10 solved it immediately seems like a good deal to me.
    I can't say much more because I haven't had it long enough, nor have I tried to uninstall it. It could use more functionality when it comes to turning features on and off, but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the product.

• Da
    dawn2222 Aug 21, 2009

stopzilla is a total SCAM it found 10 infections on my pc and suprise suprise it asked me to download the full PAID FOR VERSION!!! to remove them, when i went to the add/remove programs it would not remove. after that i went and ran other well known scans and all was fine!!!

• By
    ByronTylor Aug 23, 2009

Make a Google map of the STOPZilla's company address (Is3)... an empty lot. Mmmm...

They don't include a map in their webiste, but a PDF with directions. Mmmm...

The lastnames of the Executive Management page are not american sounding, not even Floridian-latino. Mmmm...

Is this the best malware scam ever made?

• Jk
    jk326 Aug 31, 2009

I had a problem on my computer that McAffee or AdAware could not fix. Based on the recommendations in Cnet, I downloaded StopZilla, ran it to find a great deal of malware on my laptop. The names of the items found correlated directly to the problems I was having so I felt there was no trickery on the part of IS3. I was not really surprised that I was required to pay for the full version to remove the malware - this is industry standard - and if they did not charge, how would they survive? Did you really think that anti-spyware survives through advertising? C'mon!

I I like StopZilla, and so far it works great! Not one problem, and I won't consider uninstalling.

Thanks again StopZilla - you saved the day for me!

• En
    Enforcer2006 Sep 04, 2009

Mike Becker probably wrote the above post. My moms computer just crashed after installing stopzilla and all she is getting is a black screen when she loads her computer now. If I ever run into one of these idiots that made this program, they will never be able to write another code in their life.

STOPZILLASCAMMERS Sep 15, 2009

STOP ZILLA WILL NOT REFUND. THEY KEEP SAYING WE CREDITED YOU STALL TACTICS LETTER SENT TO BBB AND ATTORNEY GENERAL

STOPZILLASCAMMERS Sep 15, 2009

SCAM ARTISTS DON'T DOWNLOAD MICKEY MOUSE PROGRAM YOU CAN GET BETTER SECURITY BY DOING NOTHING HA HA

• Qu
    quietone Sep 18, 2009

I'm sorry but i have to disagree with all but the one positive post on here. My reason why is that i uninstalled it myself trying the same method the above posts stated (such as goto add/remove programs) which of course i did and wooolah the program uninstalled itself successfully with no problems whatsoever, so that little issue you ran into with trying to uninstall is ludacrious & foolish, nothing personal.

PS: For the record last time if memory serves me correctly i recall that Spyware doctor (it's a pretty decent program despite not using the full version) like stopzilla is just the same when it comes to scanning for spyware, malware, etc, etc. and like stopzilla & some other spyware programs out there it's free to scan & you buy to remove the spyware, viruses and other crap of the nature. i'm sure that you all are gonna be asking me how do i know spyware doctor's a decent program?? it's fairly simple, I myself used the free version scan and yes i wasn't able to delete the threats but i wrote down the locations and filepaths of the threats and with just the free scan i was able to manually remove the threats from my PC, so that's why i believe it's a good program to purchase.

not everything is for everybody and stopzilla is one of them..

Goodluck and take care all.. ^^

• Ob
    ObjectiveGuy Sep 20, 2009

On Spyware Doctor, I purchased the program. You can get a near fully functional version for free, by the way, by downloading googlepack. On that, one is afterward left with the impression that if you purchase the full version it will function in real-time. Only aspects of if function in real time. You will be asked on each boot if you will let it run it's scan. It ALWAYS finds stuff to remove, so it was never running in real-time. IOBit 360 is 100 percent free, it is real time, it is better than Spybot and Spyware Doctor put together, since I run all three simultaneously (7 Gig of Ram, 3.0 Ghz Processor, Terabyte HD). Since installing 360, the other two never show any positive scan results. I"m telling you, you will appreciate it. I am in no way affiliated with any software company. I'm just an end-user, everyday run of the mill guy. All of my friends are onto it, my family across the states, everyone says the same things about it.

On STOPzilla. Obviously they know more about running their customers off (in the company's short term profit goals - like daily targets) than they do about a long term progress plan. I, too, found Mr. Becker's response to be quite "Form Letter" in style. All they have to do is put in their description at CNET that it is a free scan only and you'll have to buy to remove ... but of course they can't do that, because it would be the truth, and people won't go for it.

• Wj
    wj1pjdajt Sep 21, 2009

I had no problem removing it. It didn't waste my time nor my computer's time.

There are no traces of it after removal. Most reviews are subject to a user's capability; the machine's fitness and so on. It IS in fact the industry standard to scan for free without removal. We should expect that from the outset eventhough I disagree with that standard since it's initiative is inconsistent with profit through patience, as Mr. ObjectiveGuy said.

I removed it, obviously without purchase, due to comments and individual's reviews regarding their experiences. Research involving CNET comments, this site and four others aided in that decision. Refusals to simply, unquestioningly refund a person's money upon request demonstrates ill will. It's what, $40.00? The elimination of one negative review can earn a company many times that through unimpeded sales.

• Ca
    campagnola Nov 01, 2009

The stopzilla monster took over my poor ailing Pc and its voracious demands for more attention meant that i had to keep it in a cage in my hard drive . amazingly the monster broke through these bars with that dragon breath and eventually burnt out my hard drive.
    I have to hand it too the creators of this amazing frankensteins monster of the PC world that they really did do a good job of scareware, scamware, malware etc. The ironic thing is that the very thing that they profess to protect you from is exactly what they are doing themselves! I have had NO OTHER COMPANY HELPING ITSELF TO MY HARD EARNED BANK BALANCE!!!
    But stopzilla ...

You take the buisuit.. cleverly getting me to trust you.. I thought you may have come from "mozilla" for instance, but I should have gone to spec savers.

congratulations Stopzilla, on getting under my RADAR .. but the USA govt should have put you out of business .. I agree with the above post that says doing nothing would have been infinately preferable . Its like hiring a body guard who beats you up at the end of the night and then bills you to do it again. This Limey is well pissed ofF!!!

• Sc
    Scott G getgen Dec 14, 2009

When I booted computer this moprning, stopzilla failed to open. How can I fix? Purchased 11/27/2009 for 1 year. How do I get it back?

Sander van der Schaaf Dec 24, 2009

Now stopzilla is even working with the malware defense scam trojan and marketing fraud ###. I cannot remove it untill I buy one of these programs (which are probably all in this together). Stopzilla, Spydoctor, Mc Affee and probably many more.

Boycot these frauds! And get them sued!

• Mr
    MrMarco Jan 10, 2010

After a major crash and an inability of Stopzilla to remove the virus on my computer ... I reimaged it myself and never used Slopzilla again. In addition I never received my rebate. When I called to cancell the automatic yearly charge to my credit card ($40) I was told that they never received a copy of my invoice. LIE! I sent all appropriate material. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

• Rk
    rknighttrain Jan 22, 2010

i downloaded stopzilla to address small problems which only magnified to huge problems ultimately ending in a blue screen of death. my computer ran horribly after downloading scamzilla and i can't help but think it somehow lead to my computers demise. the little fine print scam where you think you are paying 9.99 for it, then they bill you $40, thats cute also. without the doubt the worst customer service rep i have ever dealt with ever

• Sr
    Srock-rocks Feb 15, 2010

I'd just like to add myself to this list of Stopzilla victims. I've had the exact same problems...downloaded the freebee> converted it to a registered version, >computer hardly ran after bootb up >got "BSOD". Now I'm really screwed, just like you lot. Stopzilla tech support simply referred me to XP repair sites. Fortunately, I do use Restrospect Backup, so I won't lose everything (hopefully), but this will still take me a long time to recover! We obviously need a "STOP STOPZILLA" campaign!

• Hi
    Highlander593 Feb 26, 2010

I paid US $6.99 for a trial version and they took $29.99 from my credit card. Fortunately, I misspelled my email address so they didn't send me the "key", probably saving me a lot of grief. I'll have to cancel my credit card as some people have reported that they have been billed the following year. Watch out for that one!

It seems that many of the registry and virus cleaners are scams as they put on false positives and infect your PC. Best to stick with the known brands and download Web of Trust.

What's the US Government doing about these criminals?

jollyroger27 Mar 17, 2010

they are really bad people at Stopzilla, they offered me after rebate, an amazing$9.95 for the full system, i agreed, then was billed $39.95!!!that was took out my account, i later noticed a link in the invioce which opens up as pdf document form, where you fill it in send it by post to the usa and then they send you a cheque back!!!what sickening con!!, obviously you only have 30 days and they will say they never got your form etc etc, ive just sent an e-mail to them stating i think what they are doing is illegal as they never stated you would have to fill in a form and send it off when proudly offerring $9.95 price, and demanded $30 back or else!!
    Roger h.

• Fi
    filthy58 Apr 09, 2010

I downloaded the free version but scurried when it asked for money. It had detected vundo.y, yet I had no symptoms of that trojan, and another trojan plus 7 infections. Subsequent scans with Avira, ad-aware, spybot s&d and iobit security 360 found NO trojans and only some low risk threats. Thanks to stopzilla I have wasted hours of time and heaps of download on a problem no one else seems to think exists. What a shonky scamming piece of rubbish! I'll also be posting this on cnet where it came from.

• Fi
    filthy58 Apr 09, 2010

I wonder how long cnet will leave this review up?

(Greentoastpuppy review)

• Sc
    Scott in Spokane Apr 09, 2010

Take a look at there rep here -> http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/stopzilla.com

I would suggest everyone to install the firefox addon for WOT if you use it firefox and save yourselves some frustrations the next time you get scammed.

• Kl
    klem57 Apr 13, 2010

Since my first post I have to say I now agree that StopZilla is not worth it.
    Orginally I purchased StopZilla because I had a bad infection that had highjacked my system and none of my other AV/ASW could 'heal' it.
    At first it appeared that StopZilla was the answer, but it wasn't.
    Ultimately I had to reformat my HD to rid myself of the original infestation (not caused by StopZilla).
    I'll stick with my assortment of IObit 360, ASC Pro and AVG.
    I'm not condeming StopZilla as I didn't find it intrusive or a drain on my system. It just didn't do the job.
    I recommend IObit Security 360, ASC Free (pro is even better), AVG and ZoneAlarm.
    I also use CCleaner for deep cleaning (secure) and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner (by far the best pure reg. optimization program there is at any amount.. and it's free)

• Dr
    drkstorm32572 Apr 18, 2010

perhaps the lads at StopZilla can explain this direct from Ehow.com

STOPzilla is a hijacking virus that hacks into your computer and steals all of the information it wants to use for malicious purposes. Computers can become infected with all sorts of viruses from having lax security settings, and it slipped in through a pop up or other ad-ware. Other sources include downloading freeware or shared files. Either way, it is of little consequence how the virus got on your computer, the issue now is removing it from your computer. If you do not have much knowledge of computers, do not attempt this. If you attempt this process without prior knowledge of what you're doing, you can permanently destroy and/or disable your computer.

My friends laptop is infested with this little bugger...you can't go to any "REAL" anti virus websites because the web browser mysteriously won't allow it and then it sends you to the stopzilla website so they can save the day!! I hop these guys burn in hell as the scammers they are.

StealthBunny Apr 22, 2010

Stopzilla was the only program that found the AntiVirus XP 2010 virus that hit my computer. However when I purchased it, whatever it did to my poor aging computer killed it. Maybe it was the age of the computer. Maybe it was because the Dell 8000 series was never compatible with the security patches. From all I read above, it was probably Stopzilla. I had to remove it afterwards because it tied up my computer so badly. Shortly afterwards, I simply gave up and had to invest in a new system anyway just to keep my inhome business going.

Never got my rebate back, either. Fortunately, I printed the envelope through Stamps.com, so I at least have proof of date of mailing.

By the way, Stopzilla has a Better Business Bureau rating of A+... why isn't anyone complaining over there? Especially those of you who are having their credit cards charged without authorization for a second year? Sites like the BBB.org are where people go for help and mediation, and if enough people file complaints and Stopzilla either loses their BBB rating or sees it plummet, that's gonna hurt them a lot more than grumblings.

stopzilla sucks May 10, 2010

**** you stopzilla i uninstall ed you damn program it's came back and i can't uninstall it what surprise you better TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE VERSION I CAN NOT UNINSTALL THROUGH THE CONTROL PANEL OR I WILL CALL A LAWYER DO YOU ****ING HEAR I AM NOT AFRAID TO CALL LAWYER YOU HAVE UNTIL MAY 15 TO HELP ME UNINSTALL IT AGAIN BECAUSE IT REINSTALLED IT'SELF AND I CAN'T REMOVE THE PROGRAM!

P.S.
    NO FUNNY TRICKS OR I CALL A LAWYER YOU BETTER FIND A WAY OR ELSE!!!

• Eu
    eurocyr May 19, 2010

RUN!!! DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOWNLOADING STOPZILLA!!!

My husband had a small issue with his computer, after reading CNET’s reviews regarding “Stopzilla” he decided to download the free version. As others have stated the program found many things wrong only to ask you to buy their full version to rid your computer of it’s woes, he backed out of it. Typically removing a program is a simple process however this is not the case with this rogue software, all attempts failed, shortly after his computer crashed !!

In my opinion the individual(s) that created the so called “free version” download are nothing short of unscrupulous hackers.

• Cu
    cutemianna May 19, 2010

i have used STOPzilla and it has been unsatisfactory i thought, well think my computer was trying to get hacked or was so i searched for the best virus (protection) program i could find.so i saw STOPzilla and went on their website and downloaded their free scan or whatever.so, when it finished downloading it asked me to reboot so i did. then after that my computer started up and the STOPzilla scan came up i let it scan for a day and a half it found 60 threats but i wanted to remove them. but to do so i had to buy it and i wasnt about to do that and even if i was it disconnected my internet.so i did the stop scan and the scan window went away. then my computer screen was black so i tried shuting it down then starting it backup but that didnt help so it stayed like that for 2 days then i researched STOPzilla and confirmed my idea that it was a total scam but i found a way to uninstall it so i tried 1 more time today (after doing it 4 times praying it would work) to reboot it again and it went back to my regular homescreen. then the STOPzilla scan came up then i stopped it then uninstalled it as quick as possible using some uninstall instruction from this link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5043148_remove-stopzilla.html
    then fortunatly my sisters' job is to scan people computers and i told her what happened (even before i did the free scan i asked her about STOPzilla and she never heard of it but i did it anyway) and she scanned my computer and told me not to do anymore free scans because most of theme are scams.so, DONT DO THE STOPzilla FREE SCAN 'CAUSE IT'S A SCAM OR BUY IT 'CAUSE IT DOESNT WORK GOOD!!!

• Ar
    ARX May 26, 2010

Guys, I j ust got billed for a second year despite e-mailing them in the first year to cancel it. They caused my bank acct. to go overdrawn and pretty much stole the last of my money this month with NO warning whatsoever.

I checked their site and it's all in small print, how convenient. I'll be emailing them non-stop for a refund as I still have the original email I sent last year demanding a refund and cancellation.

Is there any way to alert more people to this? This is shoddy business practice and it's sheer robbery. No other company would just dip into your account without some kind of confirmation email or alert.

• Do
    dori_torri May 29, 2010

Stopzilla STOPS the infections from being a harm to your computer, they do not REMOVE unless you download the full thing. Stop being cheap and lazy and BUY some actually protection for your computer next time.

• Bu
    Buddew May 30, 2010

You sure answered my questions about Stopzilla. I Too downloaded their online version of Stopzilla, started it running and it was still running 6 hours later. I have a 500GB hard drive, so I expected a little bit of time would be needed to scan my drive, but didn't expect 7+ hours.

When it finally finished checking for bad stuff, and the Remove button appeared, I was surprised somewhat by them wanting me to purchase the final portion of the product to make it finish the job. I know that this seems to be the way that some companies do their marketing. The product was marked as $9.95, and in small print $39.95, with a $30.00 mail in cash back offer, that I could print out and mail in.

I wanted to purchase Stopzilla on a disk but could find no info on their website. No contacts related to the purchase of their product were listed with an e-mail address, so I tried their phone number for Customer Service, and got a recording saying sorry for the minor delay, and then went on touting their products. After half an hour of listening to the recording I hung up.

I will stick with my PC Tools Spyware doctor, and Norton Symantec Internet Security, and Utilities program.

• Gl
    glphil Jun 13, 2010

After having installed the free version of stopzilla, I panicked and completely purged my computer of all traces... It was quite a task, as it left all kinds of entries in the registry. It redirected the browser and did other insidious things THAT LEGITIMATE SOFTWARE DOESN'T DO. I posted a review a CNET, pointing this out. There were several other reviews, these were from people in the computer biz (I'm just a dumb painter, home surfer), who made the exact same claims as me . At this time, CNET was inundated with 5 Star reviews, which about 90% said that "Joe" helped them. Never had they ever had such great help and their computers ran better than ever, their hair grew back, girlfriends came back and they won the lottery !! Alright, I made the last ones up, but check it out for yourselves, the reviews are so transparently phony!

Statistics are based on the Bell shaped curve. All reviews were either Fives or Ones (I would have preferred Zero, but that wasn't an option!) When all the reviews are clustered at both extremes, simple statistical theory will say that something is fishy! Joe at Stopzilla needed to do something, since they obviously don't do any customer complaints!

FYI Stopzilla is an advertiser on CNET. I no longer have much faith in CNET aka DownLoads.com.

(See CNET/Stopzilla/reviews)

As I ALWAYS say... Don't take MY word for it, do the research and GET REVIEWS FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES !!

• De
    Devil's Advocate Jun 18, 2010

to: jk326

Their names are "not american sounding" like you said because they are Italian born and raised in USA and Florida is not all latino population.

And if you go to this link - http://www.is3.com/home.do you will see the picture above is a real picture of their building.

• De
    Devil's Advocate Jun 18, 2010

To: ByronTylor

• Je
    Jenga Williams Jun 19, 2010

I foolishly started to pay stopzilla £25 sterling US about 30 dollars, I pay by DD but have tried to stop the DD, stopzilla just refuse to answer my request
    this as gone on for over a year, my bank says unless they stop the DD, i have to pay up. Nothing but a scam firm, anyonbe else had this problem

JO