Stearns & Foster King MattressIndentation in mattress - 2 times!

B

We purchased the "top of the line" mattress in November 2004 for right under 3K from Mattress Warehouse - a Stearns & Foster King Set, ultra plush Euro pillow top. Within a few months it had developed a HUGE indentation in the middle that we would fall in to. We followed the waranty procedure and it was replaced finally in July 2006. The new mattress was the "Grant PArk" model - a latex mattress costing around 5K (per salesman). Within a few months this mattress, too, has started having a huge hole in the middle that you have to pull yourself out of. My husband and I are average size adults and we were out of state for over 3 months last year and didn't even use it. 3 months ago we started the warranty replacement process again. Mattress Warehouse has been impossible to deal with so we contacted Stearns and Foster. They were worse - no customer service at all. After filing a complaint with the BBB and continuing to pursue this we just received approval for a replacement mattress last week. Mattress Warehouse has advised to look in to another brand - HOWEVER - insisting that Stearns & Foster is the best and they rarely have problems with them. I wish there was a consolidated place where we could list our experiences so people looking at mattresses in the future could learn from what we have gone through. S & F makes low quality mattresses at high prices.

• De
    dee evans Dec 29, 2007

What are the chances of logging on at 6 am and finding someone else with the exact problem as me. I too am working on my third S&F mattress. The first was a temper-pedic wanna be. Felt like I was sleeping on concrete. The second was supposed to be top of line for twin. Within 2 mos it started sagging in the middle. Eventually they sent someone out to photograph the mattress and see on what you had it placed on. In my case it was a steel frame with old fashioned oak slats. So there was no justification for this amount of sagging. Oh, yes I was given credit to get a new mattress at our Sleepy's store locally. By this time I just wanted a refund and go elsewhere. But no such luck. So I went to a new store that just opened and hoped their salesmen were more knowledgeable. Maybe we as consumers should go to mattress school or a school for consumers so were not to afraid of salesmen. Even when you think you ask the right questions you can still end up with a more expensive mattress with the same damn problem. Now I schudder to think of the hassle, I will face when I complain again. They must think all I want is a new mattress every 6mos. When in all honesty, all I want is sustained sleep and healthy sleep. I've been nothing but ill since I've these mattresses. They are not memory foam per sea. I am tired of spending high prices for low quality. I know people who are heavier than myself and sleep just fine. So I know it's not me. I've tried turning the mattress ans the new ones cannot be overturned. I've tried sleeping on an angle to redistribute the weight across the bed but to no avail. I've just put a board between the box spring and top but that doesn't really help. AND WHY SHOULD i FOR THE PRICE I PAID FOR THIS MATTRESS. It was supposed to be the upgrade to the original. I'd like to hear from other S$F buyers with similar problems. Oh, one more thing. Every time you return a product you must pay $69.95 redelivery fee. That is the ultimate insult to the already overinflated prices. Thanks. Dee

Anne MIller Jan 13, 2008

My husband and i purchased a S&F "Grant Park" a year and a half ago. After 1 month i noticed a sagging which has only gotten worse. I have contacted Sam Levitz, they have referred me to S&F customer complaints. We are just now starting that complaint process. From what i hear, we are in for a long fight with S&F. We spent $2500 on that bed-- and can barely sleep in it! I wish i had read these complaints before i spent all that money. I will never purchase a STEARNS AND FOSTER MATTRESS EVER AGAIN AND WILL TELL ANYONE THAT WILL LISTEN.

• Ah
    AHMSILALALAND Feb 28, 2008

The Stearns and Foster company must have changed gears. We complained on our first King Mattress after about 5 years and they sent someone out that used a compression kit. They reported the failure to the company and we were issued a voucher and replaced the mattress. Now with the new one the warranty is 10 years and we are having issues with the mattress so I called. Now the company does not know about the compression test, there must be a visual indent in the bed at all times 1 1/2" or they will not replace it. This is a new procedure so the company is not helping the consumer stay with the product. Like I said before and I will say again the quality in America has gone done and the price they want has gone up. This leads the consumer to build class action lawsuites agaist these companies and sue them into listening. It is the only way to get their attention because they don't care about us just the bottom line. Loyalty is out we need to go after them and make them either live up to their standards they claim or make sure everyone knows that their product is not worth the price we pay. Good luck everyone, I will keep you posted on my claim and what I am going through.

Andrea Mar 08, 2008

We purchased a Stearns & Foster King in Sept. '07 from Macy's. We too experienced deep indentations on both sides of the bed within weeks, making it difficult to turn over and making it an uncomfortable sleep. However, reading on the warranty that impressions are normal, we didn't complain until Oct. By this time,the thirty-day "try-out" period expired, and the impressions became worse. So far we've had three inspections from Macy's and they claim the indentations must be 1 1/2 inches. It's so uncomfortable, that I feel better on the floor. We haven't paid for it as yet, and don't intend to. Wrote to the BBB who in turn contacted Macy's and am still getting the same standard response. My old mattress, which was 10 years old when I disposed of it, was in better condition than this one. A mattress is a costly purchase and we feel that Macy's has treated it's customers in a shoddy way. Would definitely not recommend purchasing anything from Macy's and keep away from Stearns & Foster. There should be an organization regulating the sale of mattresses. It's worse than purchasing a car. I'm in favor of any class action suit.

Andrew Apr 04, 2008

I too had a similar experience. Sealy's (Stearn's and Foster) warranty department denied my claim due to "unsanitary conditions" of my mattress because it had a small area that yellowed probably due to sweating. My mattress did have a mattress cover on it. Sherry in their warranty department made the determination based on a photo from their independent contractor. My indention was measured at 1 5/8 by the contractor. However, he only measured one area and some areas were as deep as 2 1/4 inches. Next call I make is to the interim CEO and the BBB. This company sucks ### and I will NEVER purchase a product from them again.

jan porter Apr 24, 2008

I can't believe so many people are having the same problem. We purchased the top of the line ($3, 000) King with the luxury foam top and immediately started having problems with lack of support. We also were told that unless indent was 1 1/2 inches or more they could do nothing, well now after 2 1/2 years it is 2 inches indented on both sides but Mattress Warehouse says they will not replace because of a small stain on the mattress. What does the stain have to do with the defective mattress!!! We were told by the service people that S&F very rarely goes bad but ours is the worst mattress they have seen. We are starting our fight. Good luck to all of us.

• Eb
    eb May 07, 2008

We are going through the same problem right now!! I feel like I have to hold onto the edge of the mattress all night to keep from falling inward. I'm so frustrated I feel like crying!
    They had someone from a 3rd party inspect our mattress - she said there was obviously something wrong with it and yet 3 days letter we get a letter telling us it's not a warrantable defect. We've had the mattress for 6 months and it's a piece of junk! We paid 3 grand for this lousy thing!!
    My husband called S&F today who told him they couldn't do anything and he should call the mattress store to see why it's not a warrantable defect. They have still not returned his call.
    I emailed them a few minutes ago - doubt I'll get a worthwhile response - i will however probably be getting a lawyer.

Cheryl Jun 15, 2008

We purchased a sterns and foster 4 1/2 years ago. A queen pillow top. Pillow top is on both sides . We have flipped this matters every 6 months, and about 6 months ago the mattress began to sag in the middle. I feel like I am sleeping on a cliff. My lower back is in so much pain I ended up switching the mattress with an old mattress my mother had in her guest bedroom. The store we purchased the mattress from interestingly no longer carries sterns and foster because of poor quality and customer service. The salesman really understood what I was talking about and has encourage me to make a complaint and I will, however, there is no way I want another sterns and foster mattress. The salesman at the local store is willing to get me a better mattress and will work with me on the price so I think I will take him up on that offer and just tell everyone I know stay away from sterns and foster. Good luck to everyone.

• Ga
    garcia Sep 14, 2008

I am having the same problem with my S&F king mattress. It was replaced once and I am having the same problem again with indentations. I finally brought out a level because a feel like I am sleeping on a slant. Sure enough the matress is not level and has body indentions. I bought mine at Bedding Experts. I have never dealt with more rude employees as I have at Bedding Experts. I then wrote to S&F and have gotten no satisfaction. But I am going to keep on trying. I would never recommend S&F or Bedding Experts to anyone.

• Kc
    KCR Feb 22, 2009

Agree... I have the same issue. Was looking for a tempu-pedic...but salesman said that gets too hot and the S&F was the best. No need to flip it..no need to adjust...will nenver develop a well, blah, blah, blah. Two years later...i've got a 2 inch sink-hole on my side. I'm not the smallest guy (6-3 and 220)...but this is nuts.

the "indedpendent" evaluator came out...and what do you know...small stain voids the entire warranty. Yes..we use a bed pad...yes...there is a tiny stain...but ansanitary? give me a break. I'm a neat freak...and what does a small stain on one side of the bed have to do with springs breaking down on the other? Total BS.

If i can't get sasitfaction, i'm sparying "LOSERS" on the mattress and then bolting it to the front door of mattress warehouse.

• Ke
    kellybass Feb 25, 2009

Wow! It's always strange when you think you're alone...only to find others just like you. Purchased an S&F Oxford street pillow top about 2 years ago for app. $2500.00 dollars. Now with a 4 inch body impression, it's killing me! and now small ink stain prevents any kind of warranty replacement!? Well, I really got "took" this time. Now what to do?...a website called www.dontbuysealy.com...with every search engine pointing straight to my sight everytime someone searches "Sealy" or "Stearns and Foster" Who's with me on this? The bottom line is this: Stearns and Foster is JUNK and sealy has turned into a hack company.

• Ta
    Tammy Mar 11, 2009

My husband and I bought a Sterns and Foseter Oxford Stree in Sept 06. Shortly after about 6 months, there were 3 1/2 inch indentions on both sides of the matteress. called Fingers here in Houston and told them, they sent a letter with paperwork to fill out, measure the indentions and send back and they would be in touch. Well to make a long story short, they lost the paperwork and now afer 2 1/2 years they finally sent a guy out tht took one look at it and said it was defective. I got a call today thet we can go to the store, (now Ashley) Fingers went out of business, and pick out a new mattress... yea right... after reading all this hat the hell do you but??? I have been sleeping on a air mattress from Walmart for the last 2 years because the S&F bed hurts me so bad I can't even sit on it... Has anyone found a GOOD MATREss out there???? We paid $4300.00 for ours///

Ann Mar 24, 2009

I know you are all talking about more recent Stearns and Foster mattresses, but I have to tell you, I just now got rid of my 20 yr old Stearns & Foster top of the line king mattress and it was still going strong. I've heard from Mattressland here in Eugene Oregon that Stearns & Foster, and most any other mattress brand, are not making them the way they used to. Mattresses now wear out sooner, and are not made to last like they used to be. I'm sorry you're all having problems. I hope I don't...I ended up getting a Sealey Posturpedic Firm that is so far, so good.

• Fr
    Fran Fardell Apr 02, 2009

My husband & I purchased a Sterns & Foster (king size & pillow top on both sides ) mattress in 2001. After six months it was ALREADY sagging. We felt like we we sleeping in holes. My husband returned to the store where we purchased it and complained. We purchased it at Bed PRO's in Brandon, Florida. It seemed the manager just blew us off . They told us to rotate the mattress & that would take care of the problem. Well it DID NOT ! Then my husband returned to the store & they handed him a bunch of papers to fill out . You would have to be a rocket scientist to fill this stupid paper out ! They wanted you to do all these meausurements regarding the sagging. We really wanted someone to contact us from Stearn's & foster.Back to the store, ONCE AGAIN & a sales-person at Bed Pros said they would have them contact us. THEY NEVER did. It became embarressing having to continue to go back to the store & complain.Well now it is 2009 & still NO Satisfaction. When I go to bed at night, I say " I'm off to the TORTURE CHAMBER ! I just do not know how to get ANY satisfaction. I am disgusted. After paying over $1.700 dollars for a bed, You would think it would be comfortable. They say the mattress has a ten year warrenty. Well I think it will take longer than ten years to get ANY SATISFACTION! I believe the Company wants the time frame to run out. I hope by some MIRACLE I will get some type of response from Stearns & Foster. I also hope that anyone buying a mattress will check out this web page, before buying a Stearn's & Foster, so they can spare themselves the pain & torture.

• Re
    Restless Apr 12, 2009

To: Larry Rogers
    CEO Sterns & Foster / Sealy
    One Office Pkwy.
    Trinity, NC 27370

Mr. Rogers: Prior to this time, we have been ardent believers in Sterns & Foster. The brand has always been equated with premium quality and longevity. It was told to my wife and I last week that we should contact you directly in a final effort to resolve our dissatisfaction. We have been attempting to expedite the warranty replacement of this increasingly uncomfortable sagging queen Sterns & Foster mattress set (2 sided non-pillowtop Rose Medallion firm model) since 4/29/08.

The deep depressions of the mattress are causing us to incur physical injuries requiring periodic chiropractic adjustments and therapy at our expense. Its appalling at how our claim had been handled by consumer support. I faxed a reply on 6/2 in reply to the generic rejection letter that was mailed out to us. I called Sandra Murphy ([email protected]) recently and she claims that she could not locate our fax and mysteriously cannot receive the e-mails sent to her at the e-mail address mentioned above. We find this hard to believe. Our e-mail attempts to the general “help desk” were subsequently bounced back.

We followed procedure. The physical mattress / box inspection was done per company rules and it was determined that the set would not be replaced under warranty because the damage measurement criteria was not met. The “normal body impressions” are anything but. There is severe internal damage that should be acknowledged and covered under warranty. We Googled “Sterns and Foster sagging” and discovered a large number of similar performance complaints to ours. This is easily verifiable. For this class of product, one would reasonably assume that excessive sagging leading to great personal discomfort was not par for the course. Deep body impressions on a regularly rotated set should be enough to approve the replacement or full refund. This is very unexpected and substandard of your company to take this position towards loyal Sterns & Foster customers.

We have babied this set since new (purchased in 2002), rotated regularly, kept immaculate, etc. To be brushed off in this manner is totally unacceptable. We are so dismayed at our treatment that we feel like going to the media to express our disgust with the product and how our complaint has been processed to this point. Our sleep set was great up until about one year ago when we began to have progressing discomfort, loss of sleep, and continued chiropractic visits due to the failure of this sleep set to perform as it has prior to this time. Bottom line is that the sleep set should be replaced as a goodwill gesture as our family have been longtime customers of Sterns & Foster and expect much better than this from your company.

Again, the sleep set should be promptly replaced under warranty as a goodwill gesture so we can get a good nights sleep without incurring continuing physical injury and discomfort caused by this product. My wife has to sleep with a pillow underneath her leg to try to compensate for the extreme sinkage. We are of normal weight and height. It has caused me body aches and circulation issues (pins & needles feeling) because this set does not support as it was designed to. We do not abuse the mattress in any way. We have also had a less expensive Sealy set that never gave us these types of issues.

UPDATE: CEO never acknowledged letter. Still suffering and at wits end with this "company" handling of our warranty claim. They apparently design the foam and other materials to last only a short period of time (and these things are not covered under warranty - very deceptive). When you are left holding the bag, they are hoping you will just turn around and spend another couple thousand dollars. NO DICE. Guess, we'll just have to chalk this up to experience. Buy a Simmons.

• Sh
    Shelly Harris Apr 23, 2009

I agree. Our Airloom Stearns & Foster looked like we were sleeping in 2 canoes! And that was after less than 6 months, and after spending over $2000.
    We were told the impressions had to be 1.5" or more, so we have been waiting. We are now at 2" and sent the warranty claim form only to be told there is now no longer a Mattress Firm store in our community, so the retailer has directed us to the manufacturer--Stearns & Foster. After reading your comments above, I am not very encouraged that we will get satisfaction. My neighbors swear by Costco--if you buy there, they will accept it as a return!

• Mh
    M. Hadley May 02, 2009

After reading all of the complaints regarding Sterns & Foster, there isn't much else that I can add. My experience is the same, execpt I purchased my set 4 years ago from Burdine's, now Macy's, and have been insulted by management and treated rudely by everyone in between. It looks like contacting Sterns and Foster will only add to the frustration. I have been a loyal Macy's customer longer than I care to remember, not any more.

• Je
    Jeff_p May 06, 2009

I agree with all of the complaints. Our over $2000 S&F starting sagging on the sides in our normal sleeping position after about 8 months, and continues today. Without weight on the bed, it isn't enough for a warranty complaint, but lie on it and it drops down like a hammock, with a huge ridge in the middle. It's ridiculous. I'm to the point where I'm considering ripping off the "pillow top", and buying a king memory foam topper to see if it makes the bed somewhat acceptable. NEVER BUY STEARNS and FOSTER.

• Ca
    Cathy in Wyoming Jun 30, 2009

My husband and I have the same problem with our mattress and have called the dealer (JACKSON HOLE MATTRESS COMPANY) and complained twice now and it has been two years and counting...we only have a five year warranty and I am afraid that the company will just wait till our warranty is up and let is slide till then...my husband has a bad back and does not sleep well as it is! I cannot believe that a company with a supposed reputation as this would let this kind of bad public opinion become quite public without doing something to stand by their name!? Especially in this financial climate! They will never get another dime from me and that is certain! We paid $2500 ++++ for our STEARNS & FOSTER King Mattress and Box Springs set and are totally dissapointed with this inferior product!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCT from STEARNS & FOSTER OR JACKSON HOLE MATTRESS COMPANY, Jackson Hole, WYoming!!!

• Su
    Susieqoregon Jul 02, 2009

I see all these complaints with S&F mattress company. I can not beleive how many other are out there with same issues and spending lots of money for these mattress only to be disappointed in quality. We are in procvess of getting new king size mattress we were going to get S&F burt after reading these reviews I think not. Can anyone recommend a good brand and quality? I would really appreciate it!

Jonathan Douglas Jul 19, 2009

Holy smokes!- we just returned from Sears after buying and then returning a Sealy posturpedic pillow top mattress- once it was installed my wife couldn't stand it and it also stunk like rotted wood- the salesman said we should air it out but maybe we should consider a better quality option- we must have fell for it because we just agreed to buy a top of the line S&F. Anyone have anything good to say on Stearns & Foster? Otherwise it's back to Sears and refund city.

• Lp
    Lpage Jul 21, 2009

I just found this complaint and am stunned at the similarities of all the emails above me. I purchased my now 3 year old S&F mattress from Sleep Train. It began sinking in the middle in less than a year. I called to complain. They were rude and it took multiple requests before they finally sent out someone with nifty measuring devices. Findings: the dip was not enough to replace it. They then told me if I complained again and wanted it remeasured in less than a year I would have to personally pay for it. I then attempted to contact S&F. You cannot speak to anyone there -no phone number of a corporate office could be found. You can mail a complaint letter that clearly goes into the cylindrical bin. I now have been educated that it is because they make so many different beds for different vendors it is a store issue not theirs. I have finally thrown up my hands and given up after 2 years of complaining and having a daily backache. A new mattress/foundation from a different manufacturer is being delivered tomorrow. I will NEVER buy a S&F again - I am heartbroken and angry that I spent so much money on a bed I thought would last me for a very long time. NEVER AGAIN.

• Ba
    Backache in Texas Aug 12, 2009

We purchased an S&F mattress over 9 years ago and have been in pain ever since. We had two defective models delivered to us initially (very visable - slanted/ sagging, mismatched box springs etc). We finally got one with the correct boxsprings that wasn't broken upon arrival, but it began to sink after several months of use. We did exactlly as the directions said - turn, turn, turn. We thought it was just us. After many years, I have developed severe back issues - including numbness in my lower body and heel pain that is beyond description. I didn't realize it was the bed until several back to back vacations for several weeks where we slept on quality mattresses. This led to the relief of the heel and back pain - it began to subside (that is until I came home).

The mattress is still under warranty and am thinking about making a claim but wonder if it is worth it? It is definitely lumpy and indented - up to 4 inches in some spots. It's also indeneted on the sides and a bit of coil appears on the corners. I weigh just over 100 pounds and my husband is around 150- so I know it's not a weight issue! It's not just wear and tear. I almost feel like S&F owes us - not for the bed - but for all of the pain and suffering that has been caused all of these years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mattress that is well made and comfortable? I really don't want a hassle - I just want a good night's sleep.

Seeing all of these comments makes me know that all this time I've been suffering when I shouldn't have to. I just want to not be in pain anymore.

• Hl
    HL2 Aug 22, 2009

ARE YOU INSANE?

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ANY STEARNS & FOSTER MATTRESS.

IN MY VIEW THEIR "WARRANTY" IS NOT EVEN WORTH THE PAPER IT'S PRINTED ON. THEY HAVE NO INTENTION OF HONORING ANYTHING WRITTEN, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

WE BOUGHT OUR QUEEN SET AT MARSHALL FIELDS (NOW MACY'S). WE HAVE THE SAME SAGGING, HOLE IN THE CENTER PROBLEM MENTIONED ABOVE.

MACY'S CLAIMS TO WORK WITH THE MANUFACTURER TO ASSIST WITH YOUR PROBLEM WHICH THEY DO -TO DENY YOUR CLAIM.

MULTI-STATE, INTER-STATE, INTRA-STATE-MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR THE U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL TO TRY STEARNS & FOSTER.

HL

• Su
    susie59 Sep 06, 2009

We just sent a complaint letter into the S&F manufacturer and filled out all the needed paperwork to begin the process of replacement. We receieved a timely response from them agreeing to replaceing the matress only, but not the box spring. They did not ask for pictures or a visual inspection. They said the mattress would have to be comparable however, they no longer make the same beds. We bought our bed in 2006 and paid $4900. After going to two stores that carry S&F, no one knows what comparable means. Does it mean the cost we paid or the quality we bought? Not having the same bed to use for comparison on the store floor, how does one determine comparable? I hope I don't have problems with them when I call next week and ask for the top-o-the-line bed which only retails for $4000 now (box spring included)

• In
    ineedsleep Sep 12, 2009

My husband and I purchased the denfield king, plush pillowtop in 2003 from a furniture store in California that is now out of business. This is the WORST bed I have ever slept in. We are in our early 40s. My husband is 5'11 and 165 lbs. I'm 5'6 and 125 lbs -- average sized people. You would think we were the Shrek couple. There is a gigantic indentation in the middle of the bed, same as everyone else it seems, and we find it difficult to get out of. We spent a fortune on this bed. I have persistent and constant shoulder pain and back pain and my husband has back and neck pain. Neither one of us gets a consistent good night's sleep ever. We also purchased the gigantic Martha Stewart Penobscot King bedset (another huge mistake!) to go with our gigantic king mattress set. I still remember walking into our bedroom after it was all assembled. It was the biggest and tallest bed I had ever seen. Turns out they set it up using a regular sized box spring instead of the half size that goes with the pillowtop bed. Anyway, it was pretty funny, especially since I was 8 months pregnant with twins and actually had to use a step stool to climb aboard. Good riddance to this horrible purchase. Life is short. To all who are continue to suffer, bite the bullet and get rid of it. Moving on...

• Jf
    J_Faber Sep 29, 2009

My husband and I purchased our S&F king pillow top 5 years ago and have not had a good nights sleep in about 4 years. I agree with the person that said they felt like they were sleeping in two canoe boats. When I strip the bed you can clearly see the indentations. My husband has a very bad back and has had physical therapy and been on medication more times than a care to mention since we bought our S&F mattress. I even wake up several times a night and have a back ache every morning. This problem finally came to a head when I had to pick him up from work last week due to the fact that he couldn't walk. He has several slipped disks and is on medication again. Even though we had a mattress cover on there is one stain on the mattress which voids our warranty. It sounds like it's not worth the frustration to fight it any way. We are just going to bite the bullet on this one. I hope other people will read these complaints before buying a S&F. I know I will never buy another product from them. Last night we purchased a Tempurpedic.

• Kc
    kcornejo Jan 16, 2010

Sterns and Foster what a joke. Macy's sold the product and won't even stand behind it. Our mattress is a 5 year old queen pillow top, and it is like sleeping in two canoes. Our inspection for warranty came up with results of 1/2" on one side and 1" on the other. However the issue is not with the pillow top, it is with the structure of the springs underneath and the pillow top just hides the issue.

DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND... DO NOT BUY FROM MACY's

• Sl
    sleepless in bucks county Jan 21, 2010

More of the same. $3, 000 for a S&F HOTEL Grand Euro Pillow top eight months ago and the preceding post about sums it...like sleeping in two canoes!!! Just had the inspector here who measure only 1 1/4 inch...1 1/2 inch needed for warranty. Oh...and by the way...Macy's also claims that you must have 5 slats or warranty is void. What a joke. NEVER BUY AT MACYS AND NEVER BUY STEARNS AND FOSTER!!!

• Mi
    mill7213 Feb 06, 2010

Not much I can add. I have the same dip in the middle. Mattress Firm sold us a lemon and they WILL NOT honor the warranty. I am greatful to all who posted. It will help me in my rebuttal.

• Wa
    Washbaord Feb 27, 2010

Couldn't agree more: About Mattress Warehouse and Sleep Outfitters, the founder’s (Kim Knopf) and the company’s motto is name brand bedding at the lowest price and great customer service. They also offer a comfort guarantee. However, they don’t stand behind the quality of the products they sell. We purchased a Stern’s & Foster Governor’s Palace pillow top mattress with Smart Latex. It was as comfortable as the sales representative claimed. So comfortable, we took the plastic off after 3 weeks. At 6 weeks, there were noticeable depressions 1.3 inches. We contacted customer service. Response: Sorry, you took the plastic off and the depression are not greater than Manufacture’s (Sealy) specification (greater than 1.5) please contact the manufacture in 6 months. We appealed; they said they took it up with Sealy. 3 Weeks later not a word. They say bedding is their business and no one does it better. Yes, they took several thousand dollars. However, they have left us low and lumpy with a defective product. No bed should have 1.4 inch canyons after 9 weeks. My recommendation is don’t buy Stern’s and Foster and buy bedding from a company that will stand behind the quality of products they sell. Saving a couple hundred bucks but ending up with a several thousand dollar washboard is not a good deal.

• Mr
    Mrsbr Mar 06, 2010

This message board is unbelievable. It goes on and on for nearly two years worth of complaints. My story is just like all of yours. First we bought a King S&F for our apartment in NYC. We loved it so much, we bought another for our home. We bought a top of line King S&F Pillow top, both cost 5 g. We also bought a twin for our son and a queen for our daughter, totaling nearly 15 g. Well, shortly after we purchased the king for our home, it began sagging. I thought maybe it was the frame so we bought wood slats to put under the bed, no effect. I called the company which we bought it from, cannot recall name right now, and they said we had to go through this and that. So, an inspector inevitably came to our home and concluded that, indeed, the bed was sagging beyond the "allotted" amount. They charged us several fees and then did replace the mattress. Within a two months, the second mattress was sagging in the middle so much that I feel like I am rolling in and out of a cove. I am 125lbs and my husband is 6'4 and 200lbs. So I called the company again, they said that our warranty was passed because they started the warranty from the date we purchased and not the date that they replaced the new bed. Even though, I had to pay for the inspection and the new delivery fee. I have not attempted to contact S&F yet, but I will this week. What I am thinking is we all find a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit against S&F to replace our beds with beds that can be slept on comfortably and safely! Please contact me if you are interested. [email protected]

• Bi
    BIGBOXERDOG Mar 11, 2010

I GOT TO TELL YA I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH SEALY/STERNS+FOSTER. HAD A KING S+F, PAID 2700.00 FOR IT A FEW YEARS AGO AND IT JUST TURNED INTO A LUMP OF CEMENT WITH SAGS. I FILED A CLAIM ON LINE AND GOT A CALL FROM SEALY THAT THEY WOULD COME OUT TO INSPECT IT AND THEY AGREEDED IT WAS DEFECTIVE, SO THEY REPLACED IT WITH A SEALY POSTUREPEDIC. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP THIS THING IS! I WENT ON LINE AND FOUND OUT THIS REPLACEMENT WAS WORTH ABOUT 1G. I HAVE HAD IT FOR JUST A FEW MONTHS AND IT TO IS SAGGING AND IS LIKE SLEEPING ON A BED OF ROCKS. THEY PULLED A FAST ONE ON ME CAUSE THEY SAID THAT THEY DO NOT MAKE TWO SIDED MATTRESS ANY MORE SO I FIGURED I WOULD TRYOUT THE SEALY FIRST BUT ITS REALLY SUCKS. THE STEARNS AND FOSTER WARRANTY STATES THE FOR 10 YEARS IT WILL BE REPLACED WITH AN EQUAL OR HIGHER VALUE MATTERSS OR PROVIDE A REFUND. WELL HERE WE GO ROUND AND ROUND. AVOID THE HEARTBURN AND DO NOT BUY SEALY OR STEARNS AND FOSTER. THE FIGHT HAS JUST BEGUN!!!

• De
    deadbed May 24, 2010

We are in the same sagging sinking boat of a mattress. We have had the S&F pillowtop for not quite 4 yrs. After only a few weeks we went back to the store and got the same cockamamee story about the depth of the indentations, and that NORMAL body indentations do not get service. The clerk said however, she would send someone ... who never showed up. In fact, last check the store didn't even carry the S&F brand any more. I'm about to contact the State attorney general office / office of consumer affairs to see what might be done. We spent a few thousand, as did everyone else here. I wish I had gone with my "gut" feeling and taken the King Koil ... had one for years with no problems except age / time to replace. This is a nightmare and Sealy for not assisting is as bad as Stearns and Foster. We've rotated the mattress like a clock to try to find some way to be comfortable without being in a hole. Tough for couples to be together for sure ... unless someone can climb the mountain in the middle. My neck gets sore and stiff because I cannot lay flat and my head is bent forward on the pillow. This is a nightmare instead of a good night's sleep. If anyone has had any success at all in getting something done, I'd sure like to know!

• Ju
    julkat Jun 15, 2010

The salesman in our local furniture store saw me coming! We had taken down our waterbed to replace the flooring in our bedroom. We wanted a new mattress and I was exhausted from several nights of uncomfortable sleep. He fed me a line and I ate it up. After all, this was our small town store and people know each other. He told me how wonderful Stearns and Foster is. They have a lifetime warranty and will replace anything. No questions asked. They will even replace it if you get a spot on it. His whole family has them and they just love them I liked it for about a year. Mine is not as bad as other peoples on this site. It sags and makes little creaky noises that I notice when I lay on my stomach. But there is no such thing as a lifetime warranty and they will not replace anything with a spot on it.
    Next time I am going to the local mattress manufacturer where you can order the mattress the way you want it and watch them make it.

• As
    asamadf Jun 23, 2010

i can't believe what i'm reading...we have had the exact same issues...sagging w/in a few months of purchase. i thought at first it was the foam padding on top of this 'top of the line' mattress...in fact things have just become worse and now we are suffering from back pain. i have not tried to contact S&F but i can assure you that i will never buy another mattress and will make a point of telling my all of my very large family and friends NEVER to buy and S&F mattress.

• Sm
    smizumoto Jun 28, 2010

We purchased S&F at Macy's. It's been over 8 years of hellish sleep ever since. The bed did not feel the same as when we laid on it in the store, but we thought it might be just getting used to. We contacted Macy's to return, only after the meager 2-week tryout period ended, but they said sorry, no returns at this point. We tried to claim warranty against sag. They sent a technician over to measure the sag, but the "technician" came with a string with weight and a ruler to measure the deepest sag. With pillow top, there's no way that the sag of 3.5 inches will ever be detected, and they knew this. We tried to contact the manufacturer, but there is no website for S&F nor any number or email address to contact! Is it a fictitious company?? Since we paid something like $1500 for it, we had to get our money's worth. I think we've reached the limit of tolerance, and we are now shopping for a new mattress. We know for sure that it won't be a S&F nor will it be at Macy's this time, but the experience instilled in us the fear of getting another bad mattress. We are left scared.

• Sc
    Scott C. Aug 02, 2010

I bought my King Stears & Foster 2 years ago, it almost immediately started sagging in the middle...me and my husband are sleeping on opposite ends of the bed since the bed is beefed up on the ends and sagging in the middle...it pushes us into the middle and sinks us. We put that one in the spare room and bought another one, 2 months later, the same thing happened, sagging in the middle...OMG!!! What a piece of [censor] Stears & Foster is making overpriced mattresses that sag in the middle...I'm definately contacting BBB...this is [censor]...2 King mattress sets later and still the same problem. I weight 150 lbs and my hubby 190 lbs, that's nothing for these mattresses...I'm so glad I logged on to see that soooo many others are having the same problem...THIS MAY CALL FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT...any lawyers reading this...ARE YOUR INTERESTED????

markbus Aug 02, 2010

I'm not a lawyer, but I got the same back pain as everyone else caused by my 3 year old S&F Worth Avenue (Cushion Firm) queen which was supposed to be a firm mattress to start with. It performed OK for about one year but then the indentations in the lower torso regions were the culprit of undeniable back pain. I just thought it was my finicky back for awhile (as I was in some denial given the price I paid and the limited research I did on this thing back in '07). Then I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and slept on a basic 6 inch thick spring mattresses with virtually no foam type cushion on top -- you know the kind we all used back in the last century. Turns out I got the best 5 nights of sleep I can remember in many many years!!! I was even able to sleep on my stomach part of the time... wow that was nice!

So when I got home I tried flipping the S&F CF unflippable mattress to see if getting closer to the springs might actually help. I also put down a camping ground pad which is a 1 inch adjustable air pad. Unfortunately, this desperate attempt was to no avail as the sagging foam base inside the mattress cannot provide any support for the springs.

I am now researching mattresses which are flippable and have the least amount foam that is still going to be comfortable. I have a few prospects in mind now and will do all kinds of research this time around... but one thing it will definitetly not be a S&F as they are just too much $$ to be taking a hit or miss on another new mattress.

• Ir
    Ira Galford Aug 05, 2010

We also bought Sterns & Foster, have all the same problems with this mattress that is just a year old.Same old run around with mattress warehouse.Also bought a mattress cover for it. Returned it to the manufacture and the must get a kickback from mattress warehouse because the said it had been dried in a dryer that was to hot causing a sweat stain on my mattress therefor voiding my warranty.NEVER BUY STERNS&FOSTER.NEVER BUY FROM MATTRESS WAREHOUSE IN BECKLEY WV.AND NEVER LET THEM TALK YOU INTO BUYING A MATTRESS COVER.BRAND NAME PRODUCT A BED