Specsaverswaste of time

Just 2 weeks ago I turned 19, now I booked a eye test last week because a letter came though saying about my old eye test that I should get another because its been 2 years.

So I called up the branch I was at, which is ilfords one, the woman over the phone asked for my details and my age, I told her im 19 and all of the details she needed, she then said it wouldnt be free unless I am in education, I said "yes I am in education ill bring my new letter of acceptance", she said its fine.

Comes to 17th now, I got to the store after having a hour drive back home from a wedding of a family member, which I wanted to stay longer with my cosins so I can stay the week there, as soon as I got there they told me I cant have it, and I have to pay for it, I asked the reason why because I was told that all I needed was my acceptance letter, they asked the manager of the store and he denied me my eye test, fair enough I though, they dont get paid for it by nhs and I need some sort of cefitcate, so they said they will do it if I pay for it, I told them they wasted my time completely, made me rush home from almost 30 miles journey which was 1 hour just to tell me to # off home, I would of have to go all the way home, bring my credit card which I left there, and come back just for them to onces again, tell me to # off lol, because I would have to book another eye test on another day.

Now, what you think of that? To me ill rather just go someplace else then waste my time with that branch, since they so enjoy pratical jokes, they did the same stunt almost 2 years ago with me, didnt bother booking a eye test back then haha!

John_Smith Sep 06, 2009

Not surprised in the least, the staff in the specsavers branch in Aberdeen are rude and unprofessional.

• Cr
    cr78 Nov 30, 2009

The swansea branch perscribed me a perscription that I could not see with for two years- despite telling them I could not see they simply responded with- its just like that for some people. Finally had the correct perscription with a small independent optician in mumbles that I can see with- much better service and testing than I ever recieved in specsavers- would never use or reccommend them!

When I complained to the manager they offered no help !
    Waste of time and money!

j a short Nov 30, 2009

same here the staff at the shipley branch of specsavers gave me bifocal glassess which were set to high caused me severe headaches resulting in a visit to the doctors the staff were rude and also the manager was very rude and un helpful they do not appear to have any complaints procedure whatever will never use specsavers ever again i think people should say a new slogan ( sorry we went to specsavers )

• Do
    doblett May 30, 2010

Please be aware that the NHS have strict guidelines regarding the provision of eye examinations, and that you are only qualify for an NHS eye exam if you are UNDER 19 and in full time education. If you are 19 you would have to complete an HC1 form prior to the eye exam to see if you qualify for financial help towards NHS services (prescriptions, wigs, spectacle vouchers etc). This is the case at every opticians in the UK who are bound by the regulations set out by the NHS

• Da
    david.j Jan 06, 2011

Ilford Specsavers are TERRIBLE!!! I completely agree with you. It usually takes me 2 hours there for one contact lense check! I received a letter from them early December saying my lenses would be ready for collection on 19th dec - so I went to the store (baring in mind I have moved house, and now live over an hour drive away!) only for them to tell me they don't have my lenses in store, and as I havent had an eye test in the last year they cant give them to me!! Then why send me the letter???!! What a wasted journey!! I've had SOOOO many bad experiences with the Ilford branch - full of student workers who dont give a damn!! I have now moved to another branch who are MUCH better and professional. And I'm STILl waiting for the Ilford branch to send me my lenses - having to wear my glasses because of their inability to post my lenses to me!!!

• Bi
    billybhogal Mar 09, 2012

Specsavers were wrong you are still 19 and in full time education. It is only when you turn 20 that you will need an HC1 that is if you still are in full time education.
    Also it is unlawful to be turned away for an eyetest, or dental treatment etc if you did not have appropriate proof. If you feel bitterly you should complain to AOP or GOC

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices