Sonic - Tupelo, MS North GlosterStealing and Overcharging

Over the past two months, I visited the same Sonic 8 times. I've ordered Blasts and have been overcharged all but one time. The menu says for a regular size butterfinger blast it is $2.19, but I am charged $2.29 I've brought this to the attention of several carhops, a manger, and general manager(GM) twice!. The fourth instance, the manager and GM were notified and were surprised and said agreed I was right, the price being charged does not match the menu. They apologized and refunded my money. The GM said she would make note of the error and contact Corporate. The following week after this incident I ordered a blast and the price was correct. The next week, I went back, and ordered a blast only to be overcharged again by $.10 I explained to the carhop I was overcharged, that I needed my refund, and that I wanted to speak to the GM (who the carhop said was working that night.) The carhop came out and said they knew about the issue and that she was sorry and refunded my $.10 plus tax. I had to remind them to include tax (1 penny for $.11)! Then the same GM came out and I reminded her of the situation of being overcharged by $.10. She NOW gives a different story. That the computer is right, but the menu is wrong. I asked her to put a PostIt inside the menu to reflect the correct price because it was false advertising by showing cheaper sale price and charging an inflated price. I don't think she understood a word I was saying. She said that she does not have authority to put signs on the menu (eventhough I've seen it done at other Sonics). She said the new menus would reflect the price change.

But I'm weary of this explanation. Why would the carhop tell me they were aware of the situation and error but then GM turn around and say there is no error and the computer is right??? The overcharging has been going on for 2 months. In 6 months, there has NOT been a new menu at the Sonic. As a professional, this logic doesn't make any sense. Why would the computer systems be updated to reflect a price change but the menu not be changed at the same time or within a reasonable time frame (less than 2 months) to reflect the increased price? And if the price had been changed in the computer, why would the previous week's blast charge be correct but now wrong again??? Very suspicious! The GM "Joanie" did not show any remorse or provide any help in resolving the issue. I made a suggestion to fix the false advertising and she didn't care. I told her it was false advertising, stealing and fleecing, and she gave me a glazed over look (she didn't understand what I was saying.) I said I will have let the local business blog and Corporate be aware of the lack of concern, lack of helpfulness, and the lack of customer service this Sonic and general manager exhibited.

I just would like to know the truth. If the price has gone up, then change the menu or modify the current one. It's been over two months of overcharging. It's not the $.10 I'm so much worried about, it is the principle of the matter. If they can steal $.10, what is to prevent them from stealing $10.00??? And if the are overcharging $.10 per blast, if there were 200 blasts sold every day for 30 days, that would total to theft of $600.00!!!

I would like see and feel customer respect and business ethics. This Sonic is not running business professional or ethically. Poor quality!!

• Dh
    DHB Dec 19, 2009

Hi there!

I am a regional supervisor for this particular region and I can shed some light on this subject for you. During the time frame that you visited this location, the price you were given was indeed incorrect. The new menu rollout did not occur until December. In September, the new menu items for this particular area had not even been agreed upon yet, so the GM had no way of even knowing what the new prices were going to be.

We have discovered that some stores in this general area seem to have an issue following the instructions that we set forward. For instance, you are being overcharged because they are charging you for the Blast and then charging for the candy. The blast price should have been entered into their system as $1.70 and the candy should be $0.40 to bring the total to $2.19. However, some locations have tampered, not only with the blast and shake pricing to nickel and dime you, but also with the drink add-ins. Drink add-ins are technically free for the first flavor and $0.10 for each additional flavor. Example: A cherry coke should be the same price as a coke.

I'm sorry for your trouble. Please do call them out on it each and every time. Also, remind them that if they don't fix the problem that you would like the number for the store supervisor, not the General Manager. If you speak to the GM's boss then you'll most likely get the issue resolved quite quickly. If they give you some trouble over obtaining this number, then once you finally get it be sure to include that they were reluctant about releasing the supervisor's contact information.

Lastly, never let them tell you they are "contacting corporate" about it. Corporate has nothing to do with most problems that occur in the store. It's just an old standby excuse that gets guests off your back. Always ask for the supervisor's information or call 1-866-OK-SONC and the complaint you file will be left with not only the supervisor, but also the owner (who is unaware of the problem in most cases and will handle it quickity quick for you!).

Hope that all helps!

David

Regional Supervisor
    ArkLaMiss Region

We have begun to systematically deal with this issue on the store-level. However, some GM's are particularly resistant to this idea and have had to be corrected multiple times.