SmartSavingsCenter.comCredit card charged without purchase

K

After Googling for discount books, I got this website. I ordered a DVD and a paperback book, paying shipping on just one, as an introductory discount. In order to complete the second order, I was told that I did not qualify for the intro discount anymore, but did I still want the book? I clicked on the "yes" or "approve" and did recieve the mentioned orders in the mail, but then was charged $29.95 a MONTH for some sort of membership! They were also charging $1.00 for a debit card used without a code. I did call and cancelled this so called membership and was told that I will get a rrfund for just one of the $29.95 charges. This is a definate RIP OFF WEBSITE!!! I will comply with anyone who tries to shut it down. I do live near Boca Raton and I tell you that if that refund is not in my bank account next week, I will go down to this address. I bet it is an empty building! I have been online for 12 years and have made many purchases of all kinds from, all over the world and this is the first time I got caught like this! They are very good. The chap I talked to just repeated over an over the same thing. He was located in Manilla in the Philapines, Someone should DO something about this company!!!

• Valerie Nov 12, 2008

I don't know what type of company it is. I just noticed monthly withdrawals that I did not authorize. When I called to cancel, I could not understand what the heck she was saying.

• Ho
    hoppy1680 Nov 28, 2008

Ordered nintendo game, and was not only billed for the game, but $29.95 for a membership fee. I NEVER authorized, or signed up for anything other than the item I ordered. These folks are scammers, and I doubt if they will ever credit me back. They also had the nearve to charge me $1.00 for the first months membership fee..

john lamanna Dec 02, 2008

company claims I signed up for some sort of membership regarding products, e-mails, and possibly some type of protection; I spoke to a live rep, to no avail.e

ANTHONY C. QUINTAVALLE Dec 26, 2008

YOU OWE ME " MARK OF ZORRO"FOREIEN CORISPONDENT" BODY & SOUL
    TOU KEEP TELLING ME, YOU SENT IT!
    WHERE IS IT?

• Mi
    missy Jan 06, 2009

I order a book off discountbooks.com for $1.70 still haven't received the book but now have additional charges on my account . I want to cancel my order .I've tried to call the 800 number and when I finally get to voice mail it says voice mail full. I would really like to resolve this matter asap.

John Been Robbed Jan 14, 2009

Ordered DVD, they charged me $29.95 without me authorizing. Pissed off. Going to find any bureau or complaint board to post these ###. Called and got the leave us a msg for a call back and voicemail is full and cannot take any more. Dont buy movies from Hotmovies.com. That is the name they phished me to smartsavingcenter.com. They got me one but never again. Isnt this against the law?

Angie Jan 19, 2009

I ordered a DVD set and somehow was charged two times on my credit card from this company. Each time was for 29.95. I keep trying to reach them via phone and there is no answer. I left a message but I do not receive any calls back. What a rip off.

• Na
    Nancy Cruz Jan 26, 2009

can you guys please stop charging my credit card on something i didn't authorized.

• He
    Henry Rose Jan 27, 2009

I have been attempting to cancel my membership for the past two months by phone and nothing seems to work. I am continuing to have charges appear on my credit card. What can I do?

• He
    Henry Rose Jan 27, 2009

This appears to be the way they operate. Their phone message is garbled to not be understood.

sandy Jan 28, 2009

i also bought a book and now i have a 29.95 charge and 2 for 1.00 someone named jeffery has agreed to cancell. i hope so when you call the 800 number your told it high volumn time and it may take 15min to answer your call i waited over 30 fot someone to speak with, i called mt credit card co and requested all charges be denied

• Rn
    rnb Feb 03, 2009

Charge my credit card several times w/o my authorization and when I call the toll free number to investigate it is always a busy signal. I do not know who this company.

• Al
    Alabama Shopper Feb 05, 2009

I had a similar experience. I bought a book through discountbooksale.com. The confirmation said I would be billed by smartsavingscenter.com. I didn't really think much about that at the time. Hidden at the site was the fact that by buying the book I had signed up for a "membership" and my Visa would be charged $29.95 a month. I routinely check my Visa account online every 2- 3 days to make sure there aren't any unauthorized charges on my account. I discovered another charge from smartsavingscenter.com and began an investigation. When I said to a person at smartsavingscenter.com that I hadn't signed up for anything but the book I bought, she replied that I certainly had and that I just didn't read the fine print. I haven't received credit yet, but they said my "membership" is cancelled. Amazingly, I learned that I had "signed up" for 2 memberships that were going to bill my Visa account. I was told yesterday that one of them hasn't been activated yet, and I will have to cancel it in a "week or so." I've been shopping online for over 12 years and have never had an experience like this.

• Ri
    Riped off Feb 05, 2009

You can try to cancel on their website, I had to do it online as well as over the phone. It took me about 40 min. to get it done over the phone. But I have been seeing other complaints saying that they too had cancelled both online and over the phone and are still being charged. I think the safest bet is to cancel your credit card and get a reissued one so they are unable to continue to charge you. I got a new card just in case. I didnt trust it. GL!

• Ju
    judithgriffin Feb 09, 2009

My account was charged with $29.95 on Feb. 4, 2009. I did not authorize this charge . It states membership organizations as the merchant description. I called and they said they would have someone call me back. That has not happened yet.

sam Feb 10, 2009

yeah something needs to be done about these guys, they scammed me as well, i cancelled my card and they still got the 29 bucks, makes me so mad i could drive down there. but ya cant get ahold of anyone and they say they have a live person on the chat thing, but if ya keep chatting, you find that they are not live. this place is a huge scam. wish i could do more to get them back. is this the day when you cant trust anything in america?
    this place needs to be taken out!!!

• To
    tooduu Feb 13, 2009

I recently ordered from hotmoviesales. This is a site that sell old movies at low prices. The prices were great. Ordered five movies(old b&w on dvd) for a total of $36.83 with shipping. Specified I wanted to wait until the release date for all and have only one shipment. Instead they proceeded to send them one at a time with shipping cost added and so far I have been charged $65.50and I have only received three of the five dvds. I realized that while I had ordered them from Hotmoviesales.com, I was being charged by Smartsavingscenter and I had been given a membership and charged $19.95. I immediately contacted my bank and stopped all charges on my debit card. Now I have to go through this dispute and forward all of the emails from both sites and my repeated request for membership cancellations. Both of these sites are ripoffs and should not be allowed to continue scamming the public.

SandraO Feb 16, 2009

I have three charges on a brand new Visa card for smartsavingscenter.com out of Florida. I have no idea what this is about-nor have I signed up for any type of service that has access to debit my Visa!

MARIA RODRIGUEZ Feb 18, 2009

THIS COMPANY IS A RIP-OFF! I WAS ONLINE ORDERING BOOKS FOR SCHOOL AND WITHIN THE AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE THERE IS A MESSAGE EMBEDDED IN THE FINE PRINT AGREEING TO JOIN "S M A R T S A V I N G S CENTER" BULL ###! THEY HAVE CHARGED MY DEBIT CARD FOR 6 MONTHS NOW! HOLY ### HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. I SEE THERE ARE MANY COMPLAINTS LISTED HERE, ANYBODY WILL ING TO FILE A LAW SUIT, LET'S SHUT THIS DOWN!

• Li
    Linda Butcher Feb 20, 2009

I did not authorize this transaction. I want it stopped. I have tried cancelling but to no avail.
    Linda Butcher

• Ti
    timbrich Feb 23, 2009

I'm in Arizona and noticed a $29.95 charge to smartsavingscenter.com fot the month of 2/09. I immediately googled the charge contact off my Wells Fargo statement and this stuff all pulled up with loads of complaints. I have never done business with these people and I have no idea I had been charged until now and have no idea how they got my info. I did not contact them but went straight to my bank with a phone call and reported the charge. The banker informed me that I have actually been charged the same amount from these people on 2 other occasions around the same time of the month for the month of 1/09 and 12/08. This is [censored] up. My bank immediatley cancelled my charge ( the charges were linked to my debit card and not mmy wife's) and will send me a new one in a few days. They said this would put a stop to the charges as inconvenient as waiting for a new card may be. Luckily Wells Fargo will also be crediting my card for the $89.00 or so that were unauthorized. Beware and be aware of what's going on with you account.

• Rh
    Rhonda Feb 24, 2009

Alright, I'm very upset right now. Just today I discovered I too have been ripped off by smartsavingscenter.com. I ordered an old black and white movie for my mom for Christmas for $5.30 and as of today have two 29.95 charges and two $1 charges on my account!! Wow, so this movie has now cost me over $60!!! What the heck is going on? Yeah, I'm in if anyone is willing to look into a law suit! This is outragious and needs to be stopped.

sam Feb 26, 2009

just wanted to let people know that I sent emails to this business and demanded that I get my money back and I also disputed it with my bank. I got my money back, so dont give up on these crooks. the first email you got from the when you placed an order has an email address on the bottom. I sent them a nasty letter and have just recently recieved all the money back. I wish you all luck, this is a sad case of crime against people. I had ordered a few Christian movies and got scammed. just not right. but please dont take it from them. fight for you justice. these guys do not want any publicity and will give in. good luck and I am sorry it happened to you as well as my sel[censored]

• Rn
    RnRDH Mar 02, 2009

I am thankful for this web site. I ordered a childrens book from discountbooks.com and smartshoppercentral.com was attached to it, or perhaps, they are all in one. Once I received my welcome e-mail I had an uneasy feeling so I googled smartshoppercentral.com and I, too, tried unsuccessfully to cancel my membership via phone and web site. Then I realized that I was in a scam and THERE WAS NO WAY TO CANCEL. I called my bank, canceled my debit card and am getting another one reissued. BEWARE!!

charliefoxtrot Mar 03, 2009

I also fell victim to them... but after complaining enough and sending letters to the Florida Attorney General, I did receive a refund from them totaling $59.90. If you your self would like to raise a little cane (I highly suggest it) you can call THEIR OFFICE DIRECTLY not the one in a 3rd world country. All of their information I will list below. Good luck and tell them I said hi ;-)

Skip Middleton is the Executive Vice President at Xacti Group which is their parent company. Xacti can be contacted at:

[protected]
    999 W. Yamato Rd
    Suite 100
    Boca Raton, FL 33481

When I called the 1st time I spoke with Lesley at extension 435, then with someone names Auntrey, and finally with Andrew.

I hope this helps!!!

• Je
    Jessicer420 Mar 04, 2009

Hi. I had the same problem. They kept charging after I canceled. The when i called back to "cancel" again, they told me that the last lady didn't have enough "power" to completely remove my membership. Here's the kicker. Even after I canceled my card...they kept charging. Supposedly it because they were already authorized. What they do is, they enroll you for a certain amount of months and pre schedule the payment so that they are already authorized. AND if you don't catch those dollar charges int he first few months...they go up to 29.95. The only way for me to stop it was to file a dispute. Then they lost (because they were stealing), I got back the money and they were not aloud to charge me again. Plus, I had to put in a complete closeout for my card. My bank is a real pain in the a** about that. Good luck!!!

• Os
    osoteddy Mar 05, 2009

I bought book for $2.20; I probably should have been leery the extremely low price, but I have found wonderful bargins on the net before. Anyway, I was charged an additional $1.00 on 02/06/09. For what? I don't know. My reciept nor the website checkout did not mention anything more than the original $2.20 charge. On 02/13/2009, I was charged $29.95. I called and got some guy with a foreign accent. He told me something about some membership to smartsavings.com. Now, originally I ordered this book through discountbooksales.com, so I don't know how smartsavings.com got involved. Well, I got a refund for the $29.95 on 02/17/09. However, I got charged another $1.00 on 03/02/09. Why? I don't know. I called my credit card company, Bank of America. They said that they would remove the additional $1.00 charge, but that I would have to dispute any additional charges on a month-to-month basis. What a scam. Locked into a loop of monthly charges in hopes that you may not act on them. I will call the postal authorities and see if they may be interested in this.

• Ki
    Kim Mar 05, 2009

They did that to me also. I cancel my smart savingcenter membership of 29.95. They gave it back to me the next day. I thought it was done with. The following month a dollar. I called back. They said it was from hotbooks.com. So they cancel that one. I should be getting my money back tomorrow. Keep ttrying to call [protected] They will answer. First couple of times it said some bull crepe on a recording. I tried and tried. I got a hold of someone.

• Li
    Lindsy Mar 10, 2009

I bought a book off of amazon.com for $2.17. I thought I was getting a great deal. A couple of weeks later I noticed a charge from the same company Smartsavingcenter.com for $29.95. I called the number and had a really hard time getting a live person on the phone. When I finally got a live person they were very hard to understand. I believe the call center is in India that fields all the complaint calls the company gets.

They asked if I wanted to cancel my membership. I informed the person on the phone that I just bought a book on the internet and never agreed to a membership of any kind! He said it happens automatically. So they would reverse the charge and cancel the 'membership'. Again this month there are two $1.00 charges from the company. I called the Indian call center and again they asked if I wanted to cancel the membership.

I have since called my bank and have had to write a letter of unauthorized withdrawals to my account and have had to cancel my card and get a new card. I would never buy a book from Amazon again seeing that they let smartsavingscenter.com abuse customers this way. I believe it's a scam and are withdrawing small amounts so people will not notice.

Christ Patriot Mar 12, 2009

HOW TO HANDLE THIS FRAUD:
    PROCESS YOUR REFUND DEMAND FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY OR BANK IMMEDIATELY BEFORE SMARTSAVINGSCENTER DISAPPEARS. PRINT OUT A PAGE FULL OF COMPLAINTS FOR PRESENTATION IF REQUIRED.

ALSO GO TO WWW.IC3.GOV THE FBI COMPLAINT SITE TO ADD THIS FRAUD TO THEIR LIST OF INVESTIGATIONS OF ONLINE CRIME.

ALSO CALL THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE TO FILE A COMPLAINT IN THEIR CONSUMER COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT BY CALLING 1.[protected]

[protected]@gmail.com

• Se
    Seth Black Mar 18, 2009

I ordered an extremely cheap movie, $2.95 and $3.00 s/h. I accepted the Terms and Use, and in those, there was apparently a clause for a monthly membership fee of 29.95. I may have actually missed it on my statement, but for each membership charge, they also charge $1.00. I was billed by the Web site a total of at least 6 times. (1 membership fee for Dec, plus 2 $1.00 processing fees, and the same 3 charges for January- all on one statement). I went online and called to cancel my membership. I got scammed, shame on me for not reading the Terms and Use agreement.

I get my next credit card statement, and 3 new charges from SmartSavingsCenter.com are on there for February's membership. I called to complain again, they confirmed that I canceled last month, but they informed me that I just canceled my "1st membership, " and they would now cancel my "2nd membership." (mind you I adamantly expressed I wanted to close all accounts and memberships) They are reimbursing 1 of the 2 $1.00 processing fees.
    Ultimately I paid $99.85 for a DVD. Never use this service.

• Yk
    Y. Kao Mar 26, 2009

I made an purchase and they said that I accepted a five-dollar discount and enrolled me as member. They charge $19.95 at first then later increased to 29.95. This is outright scam and there should be a way for internet merchants to gang up against those unethical practice that give honest merchants a bad name.
    I am not should if there is a website available so that for any of us before making a purchase can go to that web site to find out the list of those unethical merchants to avoid.
    I would also add buy.com to the list because for a purchase unknowingly became a member of "shopper discounts."

• Ri
    Richard Moore Mar 27, 2009

I order a Bond video from SmartSavingsCenter.com for 18.95.. they never sent me what I ordered, and charged my AMEX two seperate times .. one for 29.95 and another charge for 1.00

SmartSavingsCernter.com is a total fraud and scam

they should be shot for stealing other peoples money!

Richard.

• Ad
    adelfig Apr 09, 2009

I wish I saw this website before I purchased a video for $5 plus shipping. I also began receiving charges on my credit card for the last 2 months. I called and cancelled and asked how I managed to sign up for any type of membership and was told that when I purchased the video, I automatically signed up for this membership and could not receive my money back but they would cancel my membership. I will dispute the charges with my credit card company and hopefully I will receive credit, and hopefully, they will stop charging my credit card.

• Ro
    Robin Berndt Jun 03, 2009

I don't even remember ordering a book from smart savings, it is possible... but since then they have automatically taken out a total of 150.00 from my account in increments of 29.95 or 12.00 or 1.00, looking back since Nov. 2008.
    How can we get our money back... can not get in touch with anyone? slow to catch on in Colordo

• Th
    thijs Apr 05, 2010

This Company Makes Money Of Scaming People,

There are hidden memberships, that you agree to without knowing

Maria Jacksons Apr 05, 2010

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Here is all the information I could find on the Xacti Group-which is the company that owns Smart Savings Center, Best Brand Values, HotMovieSale.com, HotBookSale.com, DiscountBookSale.com, and DiscountPosterSale.com:

[protected]
    999 W. Yamato Rd
    Suite 100
    Boca Raton, FL 33481

CEO-Robert Oesterlund
    EVP-Skip Middleton
    EVP-Sarah Purseglove
    Customer Service Manager-Bibi Rasheed
    Customer Service Manager-Ana Leite-I talked to this lady personally when a represntative wouldnt help me out, and he told me that he could "escalate it to his supervisor."

This information i compiled by doing vast research on the internet.

Joyce M. Reid May 23, 2010

I received a DVD I didn't order.

• Jm
    jmgearth Jul 23, 2010

These people are thieves. They steal from consumers and mislead their employees.
    They were up to this several years ago and the Florida Attorney Generals Office pressed charges - see below.

"Company Charged With Deception in Credit Card" Offershttp://myfloridalegal.com/__852562220065EE67.nsf/0/8E466E50BF4016A5852567A7004CE863?Open&Highlight=0, complaint, form

SPREAD THE WORD AND FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE CURRENT ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE:

• In
    Insite Mar 02, 2011

Fraudulent charges made to my credit card account for a book I ordered as a gift to www.smartsavingscenter.com, and then was signed up, without my authorization, for a $19.95 month Membership fee. When I called after repeatedly asking about the money that was taken without my consent the story kept changing about the amount I could be refunded. First it was 19.95 and they would cancel my subscription, then it was $20.00 finally it went to $40.00, of the $140.00 they owe me. I will be pursuing this much further.