Shriners Hospitals for ChildrenExploiting children to solicit donations

S Review updated:

The company has been bombarding CNN with commercials featuring sick and deformed children who are reading lines that were clearly written for adult actors. The kids, who have speech impediments, are sick or are missing limbs, have obviously been coached to work as sales people.

angieimagine Feb 28, 2021

shriners is the worst

• Bi
    Billy555 Apr 03, 2021

@angieimagine I did believe in the Shriners, Until I picked up the newspaper and saw a couple of persons from my hometown that belong to the Shriners holding up a check for several Thousands of dollars that they had given to a college that is well known, the money that is given to that college and the price they charge to go there is unreal, I believe in doing for the kids that are sick and need help, but I feel that money that is given for a sick child should be used for that purpose.

• Ms
    Ms. C.J. Feb 10, 2021

The BIG PICTURE is that we have children that have special needs. If the money is being utilized for
    any thing other than for the children, they will have to answer for this one way or another. My heart
    goes out to those little children. If I was a millionaire, I will try to help as many of those little darlings
    as I could.

Ms. C. Jones

Rob Auerbach Feb 26, 2021

@Ms. C.J. Of course the kids need help. But using them for advertisements goes a bit too far. I would be much more inclined to help out if the adults carrying for these kids did the talking. I would like to hear from doctors about what they do to help the kids Hearing just the kids voices has become quite annoying. Why don't the people behind the scenes start talking about the conditions the kids face. Kids should not be speaking at all. I prefer a breakdown of what the hospital does for them . Let the kids go...!

• Fr
    freejazz Sep 24, 2020

The ads are annoying as F. They make me want to HATE the kids and NEVER donate. They're worse than the Kars for Kids ads. The marketing team needs to be found, beaten and dragged

Robert Mike Smith Mar 28, 2020

Such apparently intolerant minds with knee jerk reactions, which in many cases stems from the strong emotional reaction generated and articulated in their posts, are exactly what effective advertising intends to generate. However, before attacking someone, as the proverb goes, “... walk in their moccasins” for a while (yes, I am speaking to you who are physically whole.)

You should grep the web for SAOS, Smart Alec on Sports” and ask Alex how he feels about the ads and, the Shriners who support the hospital. Then grep for the other children and do the same before coming back to this site with your report.

As to your emotions, search yourselves for their true origins. What. Do. You. Truly. Fear? Clowns? Secret Societies? Hospitals? Children with special needs? Freemasonry? Or is it the Unavoidable Truth that are born imperfect in some ways? Emotion born of a lack of knowledge and understanding is usually emotion based on our fears. Learn the truth about the source and cause of your Fears and the Truth shall set you free.

If your fear is the Secret Societies in Freemasonry, ‘Born In Blood’ by John J. Robinson.

If your fear is anything else read Leviticus and Deuteronomy, if you don’t know those books, find or ask for them at a Evangelical church and read them. Another good book to read is John.

Above all else “... fear not, for I have overcome the world.” - the Great I Am” in his visible form.

RMS

Rob Auerbach Feb 26, 2021

@Robert Mike Smith Let the doctor's talk!

• Ga
    GabbyBee Jan 08, 2020

I prefer to donate my money to a hospital like St. Jude simply because the commercials do not exploit children.

• Na
    Nathan00123 Jan 07, 2020

The world is filled with illogical people. If Loveshriners was legit they would solicit the hospitals. Instead they choose to solicit uneducated people who blindly give with their emotions rather than their brains. The only real charity is one which you know for sure is legitimate. That's exactly why so many charities have been exposed over the years. Nevertheless people are slow or too dumb to see the truth. Wake up and see reality.

• Ke
    Kelly Newsom Jan 11, 2019

I love Shriners and everything they do! I akso love that little cutie, Kaleb, I get such a kick outta him, what a character!

Jack P. Sep 15, 2019

The kid Kaleb has worn what appears to be the same suit in all of the commercials. Kids don't usually wear suits. Unless it's for church or things such as a wedding. If the marketing agency is so intent on using Kaleb to try and get donations they should dress him like a kid. Instead of like a businessman.

Rob Auerbach Feb 26, 2021

@Kelly Newsom Yeah, they are cute. But they run these commercial over and over and after a while they become annoying at best.

• Bo
    bonkers plus Jan 08, 2019

Saturation saturation saturation saturation saturation saturation saduration. Over and over and over and over and over and over and odor and odear. I write and I write and I write and I write and I right and I right. Please keep reading and reading and reading and reading and reeling and reeling. Mute mute mute mute mute mute mute mute and sorry Jesus it's hot hot hot hot hot down here. Please forgive me for tuning out.

ConA Jan 06, 2019

So much advertising reflects a waste of money after a tipping point. Their money is better spent on investing in corporate sponsorships and other funding streams. This saturation-bombing approach annoys both those who have given money and those who give to other very worthy causes. There are many worthy causes and many of us watching 70s reruns can't afford premium channels- we want to give, but choose our charities carefully. Too much advertising is a red flag that money is being wasted by "preaching to the choir." I would like to see their TV ad budgets.

• Rs
    rsrmt Jan 05, 2019

They're taking over advertising on some channels. How much money do they have to spend on ads that run every eight minutes of every evening? They appear to already have an infinite amount of money, so why not spend that on the kids? I guess they figure they can guilt-trip people out of a few more bucks by begging and showing us the deformed kids while we're trying to relax and watch a sitcom after a long day of work and stress.

If you want to see deformed children repeatedly begging for money every eight minutes when you're trying to watch a freaking little sitcom after a long day, then you feel free, but that's not my idea of fun. All of these obnoxious commercials are probably one major reason more and more people are giving up on TV. If they're not talking to you about diarrhea or constipation or your death or some propaganda, they have deformed kids continually begging for money. Why even bother trying to watch the thing?

ConA Jan 06, 2019

@rsrmt Thank you for your reply-Why can't these non-profits and drug companies realize that seeing commercials over and over again is very annoying no matter how worthy the cause. I am talking to drug companies when I say that people who watch 70s comedy reruns do not want to think about their mortality before bedtime.

Nico Santeramo Dec 18, 2018

@Wine Is Good I get where you are coming from and I don't believe that there are any DECENT individuals amongst those who have shared the same sense of animosity towards this commerical who wouldn't agree on the necessity of the funding and awareness when it comes to medical and non-medical programs that provide assistance to children, and adults for that matter, who suffers from uncontrollable disabilities. Personally, I think there needs to be a much higher level of public awareness towards programs such as Shriners Hospital.

I speak for myself here and it is not my intention to put words in any mouths other than my own. That being said, I think there is a line in the sand with any topic or scenario regardless of intent. That line was obviously pushed way farther than what it morally acceptable. Money or lack of funding is no excuse to shove these children into the spotlight and ask them to essentially exploit themselves on national television in the efforts of paying for the care they deserve in the first place. It's as if Shriners Hospital is putting them to work to pay off the costs they are incurring. Blunt words, I know; however, it is very obvious that Shriners is banking on human kindness as a result of thesheer pity and utter discomfort viewers feel when they watch this commerical...or better termed, Infomercial.

Do I feel bad for those kids, yes. Do I want them to receive the best care possible, of course. But please Shriners Hospital, where is your class and dignity? It is not ok to turn the images of the children you SERVE into a marketing ploy. Even the Humane Society portrays their animals in a more tasteful form then Shriners Hospital does their patients.

I have actually changed the channel or physically left the room more times than I have sat through that horrible commercial. The point of advertising is to create a level of interest and care to invoke the overall goal of, in this case, raising money to help these poor kids. Please stop showing them off as if they are your prize pumpkins at the fair. Act like a professional medical and research foundation should...please.

On a more serious note, please help in any way possible so the quality of life of those children can be set at a much higher level.

Nico

P.S. again, I speak for myself and apologize if I offended anyone.

anila a Nov 11, 2018

My family, friends and everyone I know and work with hates shriner's' commercials. They are too awful, deformed kids, all year round begging money!
    Stop this stupid commercials!
    All the money that goes back to you, do you ever share with these kids?
    We all change the channel the minute we see the commercial!
    We finally found channels with none of your commercials!

• Te
    Teresa Sloca Apr 16, 2019

@anila a I agree 100%. I hate that commercial where the kid says "Shwiners." I know from experience that kids with speech impediments can be taught to pronounce words properly. This commercial costs millions of dollars that could be used to help disabled kids. It's a disgrace.

• Qu
    Quick69 Jul 01, 2018

Everyone has their opinion on anything. Whether it is right or wrong to show these children I don't know but if anyone out there had to have been with someone like a small innocent child that has one of the problems the children have then I think they would be thankful for these hospitals. My wife and I are living on social security and are grateful our children were born healthy and we thank the Lord every day they were. If the hospitals use this method to solicit donations, as long as the parents and children do not pay one dime for treatment, I see no harm. People are wasting money every day on cigarettes, lotteries and alcohol and that is their right. I think it is my right to give Shriner's and St. Jude's Hospital both $20.00 a month.

• Pe
    Peyt Feb 23, 2018

I agree that the kids are exploited (even by their own parents), but I am entirely sick of the media saturation. The ad is on every station I watch, several times every 30 - 60 minutes. Even if some of the air time is donated, I can’t fathom the size of this advertising budget. Disadvantaged kids or not, I would NEVER donate to a charity that is in my face so repeatedly and invests so much on solicitation. I am a lifelong charitable donor, and can decide where to donate without being bombarded with excessive and tacky ads.

• Pe
    Peyt Feb 26, 2018

There are many, many people (and animals) who depend on the charity of strangers for their needs; Shriner's and St. Jude's just have the highest advertising spend. I prefer to direct my contributions to organizations that aren't so in my face. There are plenty to chose from, and they are equally appreciative - possibly more so, since they don't have the same advertising muscle.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

@Peyt On the channels I watch the ads are on literally during EVERY commercial break sometimes twice. I change the channel and there they are again. Maybe with more channels in my lineup, or of course the TV off more often I can get a break from them. But I don't see how they can think this insane oversaturation is necessary, as if they were that unbelievably hard up at this point (which they obviously can't be if they can afford these stupid (overlong and dreary) ads).

JFon Apr 09, 2018

@Peyt PS Don't worry about that fanatical idiot Wine Is Good, who can't understand what a complaint board is for, and wastes over a year trying to condescendingly invalidate as many people's opinions as possible.

ConA Jan 06, 2019

@Peyt I have worked for nonprofits and we had galas and fundraisers, got corporate sponsors, wrote grants. I would be suspicious of any nonprofit or any for-profit company that saturation-bombs the public with so many commercials. The frequency of the commercials should raise an alarm that they are not using the best means to get needed funding. They need to show the numbers of dollars and % of budget they spend on advertising.

• Te
    Teresa Sloca Apr 16, 2019

@Peyt You said it well. I agree 100%. That commercial featuring that kid, Alec, who says "Shwiners" is a total disgrace. I know from experience that kids like that can be taught to pronounce words properly . It is not cute. It's offensive. My mother and my sister-in-law have donated to Shriners for years. Both of them are disgusted with the commercial.

• Ah
    a. h. Jan 03, 2018

Sorry, meant the elephants at the circus, not the whole circus. That's still around.

• Ah
    a. h. Jan 03, 2018

So I'm a "Shriner's Kid" adult. I had multiple surgeries at the Minneapolis / St. Paul Shriner's Hospital. Yes, the surgeries, the months and months in the hospital, all the physical therapy, the many many orthotics, were all free. They even flew me to Minnesota in a private plane for free for appointments. All the travel and meds were free. And I'm thankful for it all.

That being said, I too think these commercials exploit kids. Why not use adults that were treated there as kids (I would not do it, but of the tens or hundreds of thousands treated, there must be a few willing former patients)? There are surely photos and video or whatever as testament to the help we got as kids. They don't have to use these kids to pander for funding! There ARE other choices! I get it, the circuses don't exist anymore, so the funding doesn't roll in like it did. But these commercials are cringeworthy. Even to me.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

You were well over a year here playing enthusiastic shill for the company and you can't even respect the inoffensive criticism of a FORMER patient. Gotta even invalidate them. You still can't understand that this is a complaints board. I hope you've been enjoying all your downvotes, lol.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

And St. Jude's is no better where this nonsense is concerned.

• Ut
    Utahwilkinsons Sep 27, 2017

My child recently had a procedure done at Shriners Hospital and they charged my insurance $20, 000 for the procedure. My portion of this bill was $5000. Everyone told me how great Shriners Hospital is and how they will work with financially. (not always the case) I checked around after I got the bill and this procedure could have been done elsewhere for a fraction of the cost - $1800. My insurance was billed $698 for a follow up appt. This is ridiculous. My regular ortho doctor could have done it for $150 (exam & x-ray). Of course these visits happened before I got my bill. I will now be taking my son to another location for the rest of his follow up appointments. Shriners is too expensive for me.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

Doubting and overanalyzing the written experience of someone you don't know now? This is a COMPLAINTS board and for a person who has a grievance to share regarding their experience, and they weren't asking for your input, it's not for you to address but the company. You don't represent them. Not everyone's experience is going to be like yours. It's not your place to validate or invalidate what they have claimed.

• Kk
    KKH369 Nov 24, 2018

Holy CRAP, you are a whiny reactionary. Just stop. With every "outraged" reply, that hole you are digging is just getting DEEPER. You on the Shriners' payroll or something? Jesus!

reynolds hedland Nov 07, 2019

It all has to do with insurance contacts, etc.

• Ri
    Rick54321 Aug 13, 2017

That is how you shut them down. I was so sick of feeling terrible and depressed whenever one of the commercials came on tv that it made me angry, then i felt guilty because how can you ever be angry at a disabled child? Its the knuckle head old creeps behind the commercials using these poor kids like puppets...why not put more focus on the grattitude from their loved ones instead of exploiting the child patients, or just tone it down a little bit! I get it! god bless the people who help these kids! (But im eating)

JFon Apr 09, 2018

How horrible that an opinion written on the internet, one not about you stirs your delicate sensibilities (apparently fiercely so). He even stated he had nothing against the kids. Get over it, not everyone likes being manipulated.

Joshua Fettig Jan 19, 2021

@JFon Who do you keep replying to? I agree with your comments, but I don’t see anyone arguing with you...maybe they been deleted or something? Just curious

Angels for Elephants Aug 08, 2017

With all the back and forth did anyone actually stop to do some research before proceeding to rip the author of this post a new one? Shriners are the richest charity organization in the country. Their largest money-earner is their yearly circus. A nationwide audit on ALL chapters found that less than 2% of those proceeds goes to help the Shriner's Hospitals or sick children in any way. In fact, Shriners were forced to put in writing on each circus ticket that the cost of the ticket is NOT tax-deductible aka DOES NOT go to charity. IF it did, BEST BELIEVE Shriner's would be fighting for their tax exemption. In fact, the CEO of Shriners Children's Hospitals has publically stated that those who wish to make a donation to please do so through the Hospitals themselves and not through their local Shriners. Shriners have been busted from everything to tax evasion to sex with teen prostitutes to human trafficking. The money they pocket from their fundraisers goes to fund lavish 'member-only' parties where it is alleged they hire prostitutes and book them as 'guest speakers'. Are there good Shriners, sure. Is the organization as a whole corrupt? Absolutely. Google it.

• Ra
    RandyK56 Dec 05, 2017

@Angels for Elephants Well, I am a pediatrician, and they have helped a lot of my kids with physical disabilities without concern to their socioeconomic status. Can’t say the same about some of other colleagues. I would agree that it is best to contribute directly to your local hospital rather than through a telephone solicitor or the Shriner organization. Telephone solicitors may not even be legitimate. Don’t throw the babies out with the bath water!🤔

Jeremy Ward Jul 02, 2017

Proof that their brainwashing manipulative commercials work. Most of these people thing with their emotions instead logic rational. First, Shriners is a fraternity, a concordant body Freemasonry. That being said they are NOT a charity. As it is said in Freemasonry we do charity because we are a fraternity of good men. I was chairman of the Masonic Safety ID for many years, and we never asked for a dime. As a Freemason solicitation is shameful. It is obvious that the Shriners have changed their tenets to having no integerty or shame in exploiting children for something that is suppose to be a self supporting from their fraternity. Put a cute disabled deformed child in front of a camera is all that's needed to make poeple lose their sense, become rageful at any messenger in telling the truth. I have done more for children in first hand charity work more then anyone here, and I can say that these billion dollar commercial campaigns are complete [censor]. Just because something is non for profit doesn't mean people aren't making money. The commercials are proof that Shriners is disappearing since they can't self support anymore. Working the Masonic Safety ID we never ask for donations. There was even a time that when we donated to build a wing for a hospital we wished to not take credit for it to humble ourselves. What the Shriners are doing goes against all the tenets that Freemasonry stand for and it's extremely shameful as much as it would be to stand out on the street begging for money. Freemasons don't panhandle period!

Hazel Joy May 02, 2017

This is a joke right? A stupid, ignorant, ### of a joke?

Jeremy Ward Jul 02, 2017

@Hazel Joy You are thinking and acting on your emotions instead of intelligent rational intercourse. That is what these commercials are feeding on, your emotions and it is obviously working. According to you anyone can put a disabled deformed child in front of a camera and get your money no questions asked. My other question is how many of these extremely hateful vulgar comments are actual givers? Such hateful violent words for people that supposedly have big hearts and love children.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

@Hazel Joy You mean you are? Possibly.

• Fw
    FWB jr Jan 18, 2017

Exploitation of children, no matter how well intentioned, is a violation of basic medical ethics. The Belmont report on ethical standards outlines the reasoning and rationale of avoiding this kind of conflict. This practice should be abandoned. Surely, the Shriners and other well-intentioned organizations can come up with effective, ethically defensible means of fund raising.

Jeremy Ward Jul 02, 2017

You just don't get it. You are proof that the manipulative billion dollar commercials work on people like you. The poster is correct, and so is my post that Freemasons DON'T panhandle period. I have don't more direct charity for children then anyone here, and I object to this kind of consumerism, exploiting, capitalism. Did you ever think how much it costs them for these commercials? They are nationwide commercials even places with a Shriners hospital, and their ad budget is more then the most for profit commercials. Just because something is not for profit doesn't mean people aren't making money especially the commercial business. They feed on your emotions and make it taboo to even put down what they are doing for the brainwashed will hatefully and rage fully troll the truth sayers which is evident here.

JFon Apr 09, 2018

How compassionate of you. Just because the organization helped you out doesn't mean you get to stop other people from criticizing. This is a COMPLAINTS board to begin with, isn't it? Who are you to run around trying to invalidate people's concerns? Any company needs to be open to criticism, and you need to learn to f--ing deal with the fact that not everyone had the same experience or reaction as you.

• Kk
    KKH369 Nov 24, 2018

Wow, you really are a clueless twatwaffle, aren't you? Go take your psych meds, you clearly missed your dose today.

see what I mean?

• Fu
    fukkku Jan 17, 2017

@hadenoughinflorida These commercials are still very poorly done dude. Manipulative and weird. Borderline inappropriate. He was attacking the commercial, not the organization. You need to learn to accept this dissonance. Shriners hired a marketing agency to create this commercial, and it sucks. That's all.

reynolds hedland Nov 07, 2019

@fukkku I'm waiting for the Alec does Christmas in the hospital, does he live there?

hadenoughinflorida Nov 29, 2016

and yes, I did make a number of typographic errors...this fool had be SO pissed...

hadenoughinflorida Nov 29, 2016

I usually laugh at the ignorance of many people who troll boards, blogs and other sites in order to spew their hate and venom. I can't laugh at this comment...

The Shriners Hospital, The Nicklaus Children's Hospital and St. Jude Children's Hospital and just three examples of the selfless individuals who are caring for terribly sick children and assisting their families.

Be grateful that you are healthy enough to pound away your idiotic statements with all ten [or is it just two?] healthy fingers and are not a double amputee or suffering birth defects. The "speech impediments" you criticize are simply children speaking as children. They haven't learned proper articulation, so how cn YOU make their lives better.

There is not gun to your head forcing you to donate. They ARE acting ask spokeskids for the hospital because what they are doing is putting a face to the donation requests...to see who benefits from the kindness of caring individuals, not cretonous, insensitive people such as tourself. You see, I can take any slings you throw back at me because I consier the source... but many of these kids have probably also been tormented by bullies.

Speaking of which, I suspect you were on in school as well, and probably got your jollies by kickie cats, squishing butterflies of hitting dogs on their nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

Go find a better topic to complain about!

Jeremy Ward Jul 02, 2017

@hadenoughinflorida Selfish? Really? So all these doctors are being paid? Than why have a billion dollar commercial campaign to solicit money? Whether a doctor is being paid by a not for profit or a profit company the money is the same. How foolish of you to actually think any of these people are selfless. Non of those doctors nurses etc are doing what they are doing for free. They even get paid for the commercials. So where is the selflessness. It's a business. You try to sound intelligent but that is not true, because it's all superficial crap without any real investigation of the truth. You are completely emotionally biased and that is not a good thing because that is what brings out the foolishness in us.

Jack P. Sep 15, 2019

@hadenoughinflorida Why are you even on this site if you so strongly disagree with what people are leaving for comments about Shriner's?

Reggie51 Mar 30, 2020

@Jeremy Ward Hi Jeremy. EVERY Dr at the Shrine is giving his/her time. Volunteering! You do understand about donating you time to help. I'm sure you do. My Dr. gives the Shrine
    2 days a week! ALL the other Dr's do the very same! THEY DON'T GET PAID!
    They are selfless... and they really don't care what you think, or do. they are able to
    help and they DO help... for free!
    If you don't like the Shrine, that's ok. No really! It's ok for you to dislike what you
    don't understand. There are a lot of people like you, but, thank God there are
    people that DO understand and want to help mankind. two of the people
    in our foursome (golf) are Dr's. they belong to a group that goes to third world
    countrys and help people there! they donate their money, time, talent, and, knowledge. Just to help people, you know, like it tells to do in the Bible you keep thumping.
    There are some very good people in this old world. "Fox noise" just doesn't tell you about them, so you can't believe the are any.

• Wine Is Good Oct 12, 2016

Do you have any idea how many children get medical and surgical assistance by these hospitals at absolutely no charge? I sincerely hope neither you or anyone in your family ever has a child with a need you can not pay for and do not have to depend upon the kindness of the Shriners to help you. Honestly, I think you are a disgusting person.

Jeremy Ward Jul 02, 2017

@Wine Is Good Such love coming from your comment. Do if a person disagrees with this commercial exploitation that costs billions you passive aggressively wish vengeance upon them? You sincerely hope? The opposite is true and anyone with any kind of intelligence can see through your mean hearted cruel sensibility. You are the disgusting person to emotionally blackmail others with your hypocritical superficial love. I hope you realize this before you go to hell and ask Jesus for forgiveness you for your emotional selfishness.

• Sh
    Shari Gavreel Jul 19, 2017

@Wine Is Good It's not 100% free. Do your research. It has to be illegal for any organizations. It dies appears that the disabled children are being coached at a professional level. The average adult would find it somewhat difficult to act out the roles while bring recorded. Although this is the multi social media age; I still think it would take hours, days, if not weeks to prepare or coach these wonderful children. I hope that there are not impropriety occuring in this hospital or club

• Sh
    Shari Gavreel Jul 19, 2017

@Shari Gavreel My apologies; I had a typo * I meant to text *does instead of *dies😑

• Be
    Beaubear Jul 01, 2018

@Wine Is Good Well considering person who posted hate watches CNN is obviously an intolerant liberal. I'm sure the pareny of children in ads agreed to allow their children to be in the ads. BTW, Alec is a teenager

• Mi
    Mike Abbott Aug 20, 2018

@Wine Is Good Your drawing a non sequitur conclusion Jr. I know few people who doubt the good these hospitals do. We all know and support the mission of the hospitals themselves, and to suggest its a slight against the children is patently dishonest and you know* it. Billions? LOL You honestly think Shriner's paid "billions" for these commercials? I can assure you full price wasn't billions, and even if it was, Shriner's didn't pay that. The commercial is simply tasteless and creepy to a point. First it puts children in conversations and discussions that arent natural for their age ..the conversations seem stiff and very over coached to the point that the children appear much more like actors than patients. The practice of showing children with severe disabilities on national television to gain funding is tasteless and exploitative..No one is saying dont depict a child with a disability or physical defect. They shouldn't be hid away as pariah we cant show. they are children like all others..But what they shouldn't be-is paraded and have their disabilities accentuated to gain. We all know they exist and its the reality they live in. Im not in the least "put off or made uncomfortable by their appearance ... UNTIL you start parading them to gain money and have them dressed up like side show objects doing tricks to gain funding and illicit shame and guilt. Being a little less "in your face" with it would have a more positive effect. The whole thing has degraded to odd conversations between children acting like adults trying far to hard to be "cute" at the same time. We know that these are the kind of patients the hospitals treat. But making up melodramatic mini disabled child soap operas isn't going to help convince people who are in most cases, struggling with their own illnesses in their families, and their own financial problems..it isn't going to convince them that these children are "more pitiful" than theirs by staring them in a odd melodrama designed to portray points about the hospital that adults should be explaining..Having children do it dressed up and coached up like adults but still depicting the afflictions they suffer with isnt tasteful or appealing to peoples more charitable side is what we are saying. And you know that, but instead you chose to call people "horrible, selfish and condemn them to hell" -and here I was thinking only God had that authority.- Maybe, before so many people give themselves a knee jerk seizure reaction without considering what a comment is saying..they should read the point the post is getting at. And it isnt, as you suggest in so asinine a manner, to "insult the children" or the mission of the hospital. Its criticism of its ads and commercials. NOTHING MORE> And no, being Shriner's, or having a charitable mission doesn't shield one from criticism. Could some peoples criticism be more tactful, probably. But 90% of people here going all out hate on anyone who has something negative to say about the commercials is plain simple minded intellectual laziness. The commercials themselves are in poor taste, poorly thought out and frankly smack of the over dramatic ASPCA commercials trying to make a tragic situation "cute" and heart tugging to convey what should be a straight forward point. And before you go off again on your fevered rabid responses I'm not comparing the children to animals-Im comparing the two COMMERCIALS tactics.But Im sure some [censored] will make every effort to demonize me as well. The point needs to be made that the hospital does its wonderful work and does so without Gov funding. It provides care for children who otherwise wouldn't receive this quality of care. It provides care to what could be your children one day. And it does so without charge to families who cant afford it. Those points can be made without the commercials they are running. Its that simple. No need to call people demons, heartless and selfish, in fact many of us give to these hospitals regularly. So just stop with the self righteous feigned outrage -its melodrama defending melodrama.

joseph paduano Sep 21, 2018

@Beaubear beaubear, you sound like an intolerant conservative twit.

JohnT1972 Nov 20, 2018

@Wine Is Good Screw you, you POS.

Nico Santeramo Dec 18, 2018

@Wine Is Good I get where you are coming from @wine is good and I don't believe that there are any DECENT individuals amongst those who have shared the same sense of animosity towards this commerical who wouldn't agree on the necessity of the funding and awareness when it comes to medical and non-medical programs that provide assistance to children, and adults for that matter, who suffers from uncontrollable disabilities. Personally, I think there needs to be a much higher level of public awareness towards programs such as Shriners Hospital.

Nico

P.S. again, I speak for myself and apologize if I offended anyone.

concerned Pediatrician Jan 01, 2019

@Wine Is Good I agree that the work done by these hospitals are amazing.
    I am a Pediatrician and understand these aliments very well but remember there are hundreds of Children's hospitals in the country that treat kids with genetic disorders and cancer and usually will have annual fund raising galas and occasionally telethons to raise funds. I can asssure that if using kids with terminal illnesses cancer and genetic aliments to make ad's that run so frequently and daily on various channels was popular among we the Physicians whom treat them, you would definitely see more hospitals doing this.
    Let's take out the emotions, this is wrong advertising.
    Period!

• Mi
    mitchell B. Jan 19, 2019

@Wine Is Good Year ago, but can't recall the certain date, that people from India were cutting of hands and legs of small children, so they could go out in the streets to beg for money, to make them money, i don't see any difference what the Shriners are doing with their children, with the TV commercials, but are not sending them into the streets

hanratty May 28, 2019

@Beaubear You sound like an intolerant conservative.

Nick Crilley Jan 06, 2020

@Mike Abbott Mike Abbott, totally agree with your comment but these slimy ads probably work, as Shriner's keeps shelling out $$ on Fox and probably other media. We simply switch the channel whenever they air. These odious ads have the exact opposite effect on us and we'll direct our charitable $$ elsewhere3.

• Tu
    Tu Madre Mar 30, 2020

@Wine Is Good First, It is obvious that you drink too much wine. It is also obvious that you have an IQ score of less than 70. I will be brief. A quick review of any charity can be evaluated at https://www.charitynavigator.org/. For idiots like yourself, it is the BBB of Charities. Maybe I should spell it out for you. The-Better-Business-Bureau. The break down of accounting and expenses is not complicated. Your ignorance is overwhelming.

Reggie51 Mar 30, 2020

@Shari Gavreel Hello Shari..., you do understand that, ALL of the Dr's donate their time and skills
    to the Shrine Hospitals at no charge! You know that, don't you? You know that every dime the Shrine gets is for the children, don't you? You know that the Shrine Hospitals NEVER, EVER send a bill, or charge for any service, don't you?
    EVERY cent goes to help children! The Shrine circus is to support the children's
    hospitals! The Shrine east west football game is to raise money to help children!
    the Shrine also has children's burn hospitals... and no-one, not one Mother, Father
    Sister Brother, , , , NO ONE is EVER SENT A BILL! The Shrine works because of DONATIONS!!!
    You people are upset because every shriner is a Mason! But not all Masons
    belong to the Shrine!
    When was the last time YOU helped a burned child? Not a little burn... a life changing burn? When was the last time you held a child in so much pain you can feel it in YOUR soul. When was the last time YOU held and gave comfort to the parents of
    a child that are blaming themselves for bent and missing limbs, burns so bad
    the hands and feet and ears, hair and eyelids age gone... gee... I didn't see you there helping... when Christ asks YOU how YOU helped His little children... what will You say??? "well Lord" "I tried to stop people from helping the sick"

Every one of you people complaining about the Shrine Hospitals don't have a clue what you ate talking about. the real reason you run your mouth is because you think
    the Shrine is bad because they are the "luminauity" or what ever in hell it's called.
    That, and some Bible thumping sky pilot told you Jesus want you to give your money to said sky pilot... and only his...
    Go to a Shrine Hospital, see just what they are doing to help the children. Then
    come and tell everyone how bad the Shrine is... Look into the eyes of the Dr's,
    Nurses, Parents snd most of all... look in the eyes of the boys and girls and
    tell THEM how the Shrine is ripping people off...

• Fr
    freejazz Sep 24, 2020

@Beaubear Seriously, what's it like to be a worthless waste of human flesh. he's a clue, pig. NOBODY has to tolerate you. You're worthless, uneducated lowlife racist scumbag. NOBODY has to tolerate you, despite your entitlement. Go blow yourself

• Pu
    Pure Beef Oct 12, 2020

@joseph paduano Does that make you an intolerant liberal twit ??

• Ki
    Kim A. Butler Nov 09, 2020

@Beaubear Why would you make this political? I watch CNN and I’m not an intolerant liberal! I don’t like these commercials, but I have an option to change the channel. So do you.

• Ji
    Jinny Davis Dec 11, 2020

@Wine Is Good Shriners children are diagnosed with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate. They are eligible for care regardless of the patients' ability to pay.

St. Jude children are diagnosed with cancer, blood disorders and related life-threatening diseases. They are eligible for care regardless of the patients' ability to pay.

Though there are donations to help them (they are both rated very high on Charity Navigator) these children are typically enrolled in clinical trials that pay for a large portion of their care.

Robert JM Dec 31, 2020

@Mike Abbott ...hey Mikey, you couldn't have been more "melodramatic" if you tried. Not to mention a large dose of arrogance you've thrown into the mix of your diatribe. Nothing like the ole pot calling the kettle black! These two teens in particular have been doing these commercial for some time, I have no doubt their parents or guardians had to approve... just like any child actor. What a great way to make these kids feel somewhat normal knowing they are helping "the cause" towards their own care and that of their fellow young patients. It wouldn’t surprise me if other children going through the same health crisis wanted to do some of the commercials. As far as being coached, of course they have been. It’s a television commercial! The uncertainty of their future will at least be filled with knowing they got to be an actor for a short period of time. Not everyone’s desire but when your future employment/career choices might be limited at least they will be able to say they were apart of society’s work force. The current commercial is somewhat cheesy but something tells me there was a lot of laughing on the set. On top of it all these kids have done enough of these commercials that they must have their SAG card by now which means the union is looking out for them to ensure the child labor laws are being followed (thanks to the Little Rascals of days gone by). Otherwise, every nut case would crawl the internet screaming how poorly the commercials were done. Your comments went way beyond a simple disagreement to the level of arrogance.

Robert JM Dec 31, 2020

@Nick Crilley ... so make the kids suffer to make your point????

• Im
    Imaginei G. Jan 04, 2021

@Beaubear what happens when he turns 18 he's 16 now

• Mr
    Mrs. Robert B. Jan 07, 2021

@Wine Is Good I agree with you, Shriners are great people to help people with disabilities.