SafeCo Insurance Companyit is an unethical insurance company

My experience with SAFECO insurance company has been that it unethically denies claims in order to meet their bottom line. I can honestly say that I have never had such a horrific experience dealing with an insurance company until I dealt with SAFECO. I was hit by a driver insured through SAFECO, and from the very moment that I contacted them they attempted to manipulate the situation. First, they only wanted me to go to have my car checked out by one of their auto body repair shops, and when we informed them that this was illegal, the troubles just kept coming. They ended up not even looking at my car, although their insured admitted fault. The adjuster was rude, extremely difficult to reach, and denied the claim to meet his bottom line although their insured admitted hitting my car. Please, I recommend: do not choose this company. They will want to ***.

Mary Jul 19, 2008

SAFECO is playing a very similar game with me. The adjuster showed up in my driveway without an appointment. He lied when he reported to SAFECO that he had an appointment. He also told his superior (?) that there was no damage. The body shop estimate is almost $1600. The "superior" was rude and refused to send another person. I escalated my problem and now there is another adjuster to come next week supposedly.

• De
    denise stephens Aug 02, 2008

Safeco refused to pay the blue book price of my diesel truck with a value of $40, 000. They paid $10, 000. I am looking for people who have had similar experiences and would like to participate in a class action suit against safeco. If you are one of those please contact me.

• Bi
    Bill Aug 27, 2008

No insurance company will pay you blue book value for your vehicle. If yours will, why didn't you just file your claim through them?

• Bi
    Bill Aug 27, 2008

Safeco requires you to get an inspection through one of the shops they deal with but makes no requirement that you have the vehicle fixed at that facility. All insurance companies require an inspection either by one of their employees or a shop they trust. Does your insurance company just write blank checks for estimates you send them?

• Mi
    Michelle Morris Nov 01, 2008

My son was involved in a small collision with a SafeCo customer. I witnessed the accident yet SafeCo never called me to find out what happened. A rude adjuster called to say that the accident was 50%-50%. I spoke to my insurance agent who told me that I shouldn't accept the offer so when the SafeCo adjuster called back I refused the offer and said I didn't agree with the 50-50 that in no way was it my son's fault. She told me that was the offer and if I didn't take it then I could file through my own insurance. She said she was closing the case and not paying anything. How can they do that when the accident was clearly not my son's fault and I witnessed the accident? I would advise anyone to get pictures and witnesses if ever dealing with a SafeCo insured!

• Au
    Audrey Bates Glenn May 29, 2019

@Michelle Morris I had overwhelming evidence of their driver hitting my car then speeding off in traffic (leaving the scene of the accident) - we were able to follow long enough to get photos including photos of their license plate. A police report was taken. They refused liability!

EBeornsen May 29, 2019

@Audrey Bates Glenn https://www.facebook.com/Liberty-Mutual-safeco-Rips-People-Off-1999333553457066/

Many, Many similar complaints

Write your Insurance Commissioner online, takes ten minutes ... lets bring these Ripoffs to ustice

• Re
    Retired Adjuster Nov 25, 2019

@EBeornsen I am a retired property adjuster for over 25 years & presented a claim to Safeco/Liberty who did not fully inspect my roof damage & denied my claim! I know how to read my policy & even have the extra endorsement on my policy that states damage to my roof is covered under the policy! Unfortunately, now a days adjusters are not educated in the legal contract of the insurance policy set before them. I’d would really like to be able to file a Class Action suit against Safeco/Liberty. I would need all who have legal problems with the company to let me know by commenting to this. There is a lot to an insurance policy & by law it is said the owner of the policy should understand their policy. What actually happens is the people let the bad handling of their claim to gather dust. This absolutely infuriates me!

• Cl
    C L M M Jul 23, 2009

WOW!! This is great to hear!!! I seem to be having the same issues getting a claim resolved. Does anyone have a contact for someone @ Safeco that has ANY follow thru?

mamur Sep 02, 2009

We have a similar issue going on. My husband was in an accident with a Safeco driver on Aug 5th. At first they seemed to have their act together. We got the car into their shop immediately for an assessment. The car is still drivable but pretty messed up. The next week the adjuster was to come and look at the vehicle. He was a no-show and ended up going on vacation. The next day we got a call out of the blue saying some different adjuster was coming to look at the car that day without any warning. We weren't available so it didn't happen. A week later they called to tell us that their 'driver' wasn't insured with Safeco and we would be out of luck. Two hours later they call back (after we threatened legal action) saying their driver was insured and they were cutting a check that night. We got the check yesterday but for an amount that will not cover the damage. I don't understand where they got their figure from. No adjuster ever looked at our vehicle and they just sent us a check? Now we can't get a hold of anyone to explain the situation and/or if they plan to actually pay for all the damage. Seems like they just paid us some random amount of money to 'shut us up.'

Safeco is an UNETHICAL company. Gawd forbid you ever get hit by a Safeco driver.

Radseattle Mar 04, 2010

I'm unfortunately having a similar experience with Safeco right now. I was in an accident with a Safeco insured driver and now they're playing games. Basically, they're impossible to reach and are extremely rude. This is clearly their mode of doing business. Thanks for the previous comments, I'll be seeking legal counsel instead of continuing to think that this would actually be resolved in a reasonable fashion.

johntl Mar 31, 2010

I just had an accident with a Safeco insured driver who absolutely lied, and am supported by the Police report that she indeed did lie. Safeco is denying coverage oin me and my vehicle as of yesterday choosing to disregard the police report, all evidence, absolutely everything, and believe their insured and her lie, just so thy do not have to pay. How do you fight them? what can you do? Where con you go? Someone has to stop them... there just has got to be a way to end this.

• Au
    Audrey Bates Glenn May 29, 2019

@johntl The very same thing happened to me! We had pictures of their driver speeding off after hitting us, pictures of their license plate, a police report. I even submitted a complaint to the insurance commissioner (Georgia) with no results.

• Up
    upsetandangry Apr 01, 2010

Safeco is denying a claim of mine as well. My back was injured and I went through physical therapy and even corizone shots in my back to relieve pain. During that relief period of the cortizone shot, I did not require medical attention or pain medicine. However, when the shot wore off I went back to the doctor and the doctor told me I will have chronic issues with my back and the doctor prescribed more pain medicine and muscle relaxants. Now Safeco is not wanting to pay the bill because they state that the doctors visit was too far apart from the visit I had to receive the cortizone shot even though they have a statement from the doctor that it is still related to the accident. Not only are they not paying for the doctors visit but they have rude people working as claims "customer service" representatives. Customer service? I dont think so, there is no customer care or service with SAFECO. They have no regard for your health and safety. They need to change their name to NOTSAFE.

JasmoneR Apr 02, 2010

Wow...I wish I knew of this website...this does not sound good...since my insurance company is Safeco. Does anyone know of a good insurance company for cars, homes, etc.? I think I may be switching...

raineyde Apr 07, 2010

This company is a nightmare. I have severe roof damage from windstorms and need a new roof. They have jacked me around for months. First they offered me $500 (my deductible is $1000 so they offered me zip). Then when I appealed they sent an engineer out who said at least one slope needs to be replaced plus damage in other areas. The estimated cost for a new roof on my house is $13, 000. They are now offering me $800 after the deductible. Can't even get the same shingles anymore so my house will look like a patch work quilt.
    I am 60 years old, have owned homes for 30 years. I've never filed a claim and I have never had a car accident or ticket in 44 years of driving.
    So, all of these premiums I've paid for four decades have been for nothing. I might as well have saved the money and paid my own claims. They are total jerks.
    There isn't a house within a block of me that hasn't had their ENTIRE roof replaced after all the damage we experienced with hurricane force winds. But, I'm the only idiot that has Safeco.
    I can't wait to cancel my policy.
    They are the worst!

johntl Apr 07, 2010

I would like to hear from anyone interested in joining a class action against Safeco.

raineyde Apr 08, 2010

John ~
    For the most part, class action suits amount to "get rich quick" schemes on the part of many attorneys. I was involved in one with Steinmart over a security issue with credit cards. While I didn't initiate it, I didn't opt out after Steinmart apparently supplied the names of all those whose identity might have been compromised.
    When I received the letter regarding our "award", I said "IS THIS A JOKE??".
    We got "coupons". If you don't believe me, check out the link below.
    Betting those high roller attorneys didn't settle their fees for 20% off at the nearest Steinmart store. These class action attorneys are about as corrupt as Safeco.

• Da
    david Hollenshead May 22, 2010

SafeCo
    My car was hit by a Safeco insured motorist in Portland Oregon. Safeco accepts responsibility, but claims that my 1984 Audi 4000 Quattro is totaled and worth $535.

CCC One
    $535 is based on the half of the value of a a front wheel base model found in the Bargain News of New Haven Connecticut. A company called CCC One performed the estimate. They omitted local examples for sale and used the wrong model of audi, just to come with a small figure. Kurt, CCC one’s estimator referred this dishonesty as his “Cooperate Responsibility”.

Damaged as it is, my car is worth over $1250 as a parts car. Before the accident it was worth over $2500. I have found five cars for sale in the Pacific Northwest that back the value of my car.

It would cost less than $1500 for Safeco to fix the car. I offered to accept used parts, and I have not hit up Safeco for a rental car. Currently I am driving a car with a spent bumper, bumper shocks, broken taillight and a leaking trunk. But they are insisting that my cart is totaled and “worthless”.

I have contacted the Oregon Insurance Division http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/ins/
    and expect to make a complaint. They view CCC One as a tool of the insurance industry and that Safeco is responsible for the quality of their work.

I suggest that every one dealing with Safeco company notify their state government.

• Je
    Jean Jetta 04 Sep 20, 2010

I was involved in an accident with a Safeco insured driver Sept 10th. The accident involved 3 cars, the young lady that hit me, me, and the woman's car whom I was pushed into. I too have a police report, witnesses, and the young lady was written a ticket with 3 violations, including fleeing the scene of an accident. My insurance company is holding my claim open which I filed with them to make sure my car is fixed. They have already determined the driver that ran into me is at fault for my damages and the woman that was in front of me stopped in construction. I agree the adjuster for Safeco is rude and has stopped returning my phone calls regarding when I will be able to get my vehicle repaired. It's very frustraiting to know this young lady who caused the accident has probably already had her vehicle fixed while I have to drive a vehicle with damage. I called the adjuster with Safeco, again, and told her I'd like a call back from her with in 24 hours regarding the status of her investigation. It should not be my problem that they are unable to reach their insured.
    I'm constantly receiving invitations from Liberty Mutual to quote on my auto insurance for my VW and I can tell you after this episode with Safeco they will be getting a resounding NO THANK YOU from me!

• Pw
    PWRLFT2020 Sep 24, 2010

I find Safeco adjusters and managers to be very bottom line profit driven bottom feeders. Do NOT use Safeco!! It may seem cheap but you need to remember that you get what you pay for and w/ Safeco that isn't MUCH!!!1

• Sh
    Sharon K. Jan 07, 2011

The aduster I am dealing with at Safeco give extremely rude and the company is refusing to pay for the coverage I paid for all these years. It is a nightmare dealing with this company. We have been aguring with them for two weeks now.

joyceannie Feb 15, 2011

I too have had a horrible experience with Safeco. We were hit by a uninsured driver and we were carrying safeco and had uninsured coverage. It has been since 2008 and safeco is takeing a no pay for loss of salary and low on our medical. Yes, Anyone wanting to file a class action suit I am willing to join [email protected] All the above is in my opinion.

joyceannie Feb 15, 2011

Safeco is the worse insurance we have ever had...

joyceannie Feb 15, 2011

If you have an adjuster name Sarah...be prepared to be jerked around in my opinion. She is not looking after your best interest and will do everything but do the right thing she claims she wants to do...
    DO NOT GET SAFECO FOR YOUR INSUANCE EVER...

• Vn
    vnicholas Apr 04, 2011

I have also been abused by Safeco and the body shop Safeco recommend. My car was involved in an accident that was no fault of my own as well as confirmed by Safeco. The body shop held my car for 53 days without any regards for my being without a car. The body shop only estimated and fixed body problems. The body shop contacted me on a Monday 45+ days into the repairs (?) and told me to come and pick up my vehicle on the following Thursday. When Thursday arrived the body called and explained that they had test drove my vehicle and found out that the radiator was damaged and I needed to pick it up on Monday. I went on Monday to pick up my vehicle and pay my deductable $500.00. Gerber collison never once told me their were any other concerns regarding my vehicle until I decided to look under the hood of my vehicle then the manger ran out to me and explained that I had a broken motor mount that was due to wear and tear on my 2006 Chrysler Pacific that was purchased in June of 2007. I contacted Safeco and they agreed with Gerber although Gerber Collison did not give me a written report that I have requested of them. I took my vehicle to a 2nd party repair shop and it was fixed after constant calling to Safeco and the Safeco adjuster trying to convince the 2nd party to agreed with their assessment/without justification from Gerber's verbal report. I also was informed of more mechanical damage to my car from the accident and the adjuster was adamantly claiming wear and tear on my vehicle struts which is totally out of the question of wear and tear. The 2nd repair shot sent Safeco their assesssment. Safeco asked me for a 3rd opinion. I than asked for Safeco to contact their recommended body shop (Gerber Collison) to get the mechanical estimate of damage in written form so that the 1st(?) and 3rd opinion won't have the opportunity to get together and manipulate the situation. After all Gerber held my car for over 53 days. Carl the adjuster stated what if Gerber refuses to give a written account. I told him to send me a letter of their refusal and we could take it from there. I haven't heard back in 2 weeks now.
    I now have my strut coming up through the hood of my car and the adjuster acts as though that is a normal accurance. I am preparing my complaint for the Attorney Generals Office. I don't know what else I can do. If you have any suggesting please comment.

• Da
    david coxe Jun 17, 2011

In July of 2010, a pipe burst in my house while I was out of town for 3 days. Needless to say my hardwood floors and the plywood under them was ruined. But the damaged was far worse and each day passed by. As it turned out, the water had soaked a major structural beam under the house and it moved. Long story short, from day one Safco denied the damages to the actual structure. My entire house had to be gutted and structural work had to start to prevent the building from collapsing onto itself. Their adjuster just so happened came up with a figure that equaled what I had paid in premiums over the last few years, $17, 240.

Since January of 2011 we have been going through adjustment process where I hired a public adjuster and Safco hired an outside adjuster to represent them. They seem to believe that contractors can renovate a house for $28/ sqft. Not even in 1970 could you make that number work. Now we cannot get them to come to the final meeting with an umpire to aribritrate the case and settle it. They now claim I am not entitled to additional living expenses that is in my contract with Safco.
    The Mississippi Insurance Commission will not do their job in forcing this company to act fairly.

• Re
    redheadedguy Jun 29, 2012

We had a slow water leak that seeped into the flooring in two rooms. Safeco denied our claim because of the leak being slow, and us not catching it sooner. The damage/water were all under the floor! Can you see through hardwood?
    Safeco's adjuster had already decided they weren't paying before he turned in our claim. He even sent an expert with a water leakage infrared scanner, and the expert told us the leak should be covered. One conversation with our adjuster, and suddenly our expert wouldn't return our calls.
    Take a guess: do you think we ever saw a dime from safeco?
    We had 5 cars with 4 drivers, and our home insured with them. They could have paid
    about 2800 and our floors would have been professionally repaired. We were paying

over 5000 per year for the insurances bought from them. Not very smart to lose that kind of money (and customers) over half a year's premiums.
    If I catch that adjusted out in public, he's gonna need some insurance!

• Ca
    cajun82 Jul 09, 2012

I am just now beginning to deal with Safeco after hitting one of their drivers WHO RAN A STOP SIGN! The adjuster is saying since the other driver was almost thru the intersection she may not be at fault. I did insist on a police report at the time of the accident. My insurance company says I am not at fault that being thru the intersection is irrelevant a stop sign is a stop sign. My insurance company is planning to fight on my behalf.

• Ar
    Artie79 Jul 29, 2012

Involved in an accident with a SAFECO driver that is at fault? Prepare yourself! It is going to be a long month for you.
    First, find out who is their agent is and have your wrecked car towed to his front door. That way he will possibly be motivated to move faster on the accident claim. ... but don't count on it! ... AND ...prepare yourself for poor service, switching around of claims adjusters and really rude claims supervisors.
    Also prepare yourself for 1 month of stalling and 30 delays eventually an unfair settlement amount . NOTE: THEY WILL TAKE 30 days... and if you live in Florida... do not even contact the Insurance Commissioners office to help you. They are useless.
    Get the accident report. Contemplate a small claims filing immediately after the accident... go for the maximum, usually $5000 . Know the value of your car. Get 3 local used car sale ads for car similar to yours . Keep the ads . Also research NADA, KBB . used car websites, etc.
    Do not expect SAFECO to get you into a rental car, it will not happen! . Expect to pay for all the fees at the storage/tow lot where your car is being held for the SAFECO adjuster to view. ... (Unless you have your wrecked car towed to the Safeco insurance agents lot or to their local claims adjusting center... that'll fix em.)
    And in closing... if you can find an attorney willing to help you by all means get him to go after them...and if you are a SAFECO/Hartford policy holder switch right now to a reputable insurance company, with a better insurance rating. (AM Best). In My Opinion, SAFECO has no business being in FLORIDA selling any policies... let alone the rest of the USA.

• Sh
    Shocked Mom Oct 30, 2013

My daughter was hit by an unlicensed, speeding, uninsured driver while on a bicycle. Her back was broken and she spent days in ICU awaiting a surgery to shore up 7 vertebrae that had been broken or crushed with titanium rods a screws. She also received a head injury. The adjuster called while she was barely out of the hospital, talking about stacking limits, setting up a future medical trust, and asked to speak with her while the accident was still fresh in her mind. She had severe PTSD and was on 12 hour morphine, throwing up everything she ate, and barely walking. She had severe gaps in understanding what had happened, and he effectively re-traumatized her. Why? So he could deny the claim, suggesting that it was her fault, or that of her father, who was cycling with her. 2 years later, they are wanting to run up legal fees and asking for "proof" that her life has been and will continue to be affected. At 19, she deals with chronic pain, has deficits in brain functioning, and has suffered so much. I find Safeco, and in particular the adjuster, John Clements, to be unscrupulous. Insurance premiums are paid to safeguard you in the event of a horrific event such as this. Our experience with Safeco is that they actually add to the shock and horror of a loss.

• Be
    BenTachen Apr 07, 2014

I had a Safeco insurance policy on my home in California. Safeco sent an inspector out, who wrote up a report specifying some minor cosmetic maintenance that needed to be done. (Paint the fascia, patch some cracks in the driveway, etc.) They gave me sixty days to get the work done with the threat that they would cancel my policy if I didn't comply. I spent approximately $2, 000 getting the work done and turned in my receipts as asked for. As a reward they sent me a cancellation notice anyway and a note casually stating that they changed their minds. This company is unethical, dishonest and could care less about promises they make. If they are cheaper than your other quotes, whatever savings you may gain by placing your insurance with them is definitely not worth the brain damage of dealing with these dirtbags.

• St
    stacy4OU2 Aug 08, 2014

I am currently going through the same thing as many of these people. A guy with safeco insurance backed into my son in a parking lot. He admitted 100 % fault then insurance company says it is 10% my son's fault because they don't want to pay the full amount. What a fraudulent company.

• Ke
    Ken in Washington Nov 14, 2014

I too was hit by a Safeco insured driver. If they had been UNISURED I would be much better off as I could use my coverage. I've spent weeks dealing with lowball offers supplied via CCC Valuescope that are $1000.00+ below what I could actually replace my car with. (You can Google class action lawsuits and CCC valuescope to see that their business model is to consistently provide the lowest possible valuation of your vehicle) Fine company you keep Safeco! It's been a complete mess from the appraiser showing up at my house unannounced to me spending hours trying to find comps to counter the comps Safeco sent (half were different models half were in different states) Meanwhile they keep coming up with deadlines for me to decide if I'm going to keep my car or accept their offers. If there wasn't personal injury - they know you cant get a lawyer to touch your case so their method is wear you down until you get tired and pay the difference yourself. My Insurance agent suggested my next step should be to file a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

• Th
    Thomas S Feb 11, 2016

I was involved in a collision the middle of January. I agreed to have my truck fixed at the shop of their choice. The rental policy states a maximum of 30 days unless there's "unforeseen circumstances" even though the completion date has been changed 3 different times and a part was on "national back order" for two weeks Safeco didn't consider any of these as unforeseen. Now I'm out a vehicle and the truck still isn't supposed to be ready for another week. Needless to say I'm canceling my policy with them after this is over. If anyone has had problems like this with them and want to consider legal action I'll be more than happy to join in.

• Lo
    Lori McAdoo Aug 31, 2016

My daughter has also had a frustrating experience with SafeCo, not sure why in that USAA has taken full responsibility for the damage caused to her car. It 3.5 weeks since the accident and she still has not gotten a determination on if it is totaled or will be repair, poor follow-up, blaming the mechanic etc. I talked to a friend in the insurance business and one to escalate is to file a complaint with your state's department of insurance. I have done something similar with Comcast filing a complaint with the FCC and it definitely gets far better attention and results. The state of Washington's Dept of Insurance has a File a Complaint on their home page - https://www.insurance.wa.gov/complaints-and-fraud/file-a-complaint/. She made some progress with USAA today but will likely not renew with SafeCo and may still file a complaint.

• Sc
    SCBnboco Mar 20, 2017

My son was given permission to drive his dad's truck. His dad is a Safeco customer with a liability policy. Said child, was blinded by the morning sun and hit a parked car. The parked vehicle needs to be fixed. Safeco is trying to deny the claim, stating that my insurance (I am divorced from the Safeco customer) company has to pay to claim. If you give your child permission to drive your vehicle, your insurance covers the damage...not mine ya ###s!

• Ta
    taplinlawfirm Feb 13, 2018

SafeCo routinely denies claims that do not have Witnesses ... who is

theer to witness wrecks. They semand what cannot be provided

Sandbagging company and UNETHICAL.

SAFECO Sucks Nov 24, 2018

SAFECO / Liberty Mutual Routinely denies or lowballs claims. Had a similar experience ? Write the CEO of the parent, Liberty Mutual at his unpublished email [email protected] and complain directly .

Claims dept will just give you the run - around.

EBeornsen May 29, 2019

@SAFECO Sucks That address is david LONG

EBeornsen Nov 26, 2018

Keep complaining, SAFECO routinely ignores your Claim despite your evidence. After nine months, they

are finally reviewing my claim. I had to complain in every venue I could find. They got tired of the publicity .

Take a look at my "fender bender" where their insured was " not even moving" ...

EBeornsen Nov 26, 2018

@EBeornsen pics would not load, feel free to email me at [email protected]

pics, third attempt

Safeco Sucks1 Jan 08, 2019

Feb 2018 I struck by an insured (SAFECO / Liberty Mutual insurance ), a driver on his last dr license point ... facebook.com/Liberty-Mut…... ...This is typical ... it is Policy with Liberty Mutual to ignore claims ... and it has to STOP

Please contact your Claims Dept and get them to return my call and cover my claim, from February ! SafeCo Claim Number: 5666 8808 6039
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    latest post :https://www.facebook.com/Liberty-Mutual-safeco-Rips-People-Off-1999333553457066/?modal=admin_todo_tour !!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Angie Baker to Safeco Insurance
    15 hrs ·
    I had a lady insured by Safeco Insurance hit me a month ago...I cannot seem to get anyone here to call me back!! I spend 40 minutes on hold trying to reach a supervisor today. The call center gal finally transferred me to the Presidential complaint dept where I spent another 20 minutes on hold only to get transferred to a voice mail that disconnected me before I could even leave a message...WOW!

Laura R.
    San Francisco, CA

I hav
    e been a property owner with Liberty Mutual Homeowners for 12 years. Never had a claim until our neighbor's contractor destroyed a sidewalk that was providing foundation support for my house. I experienced multiple people who told me they were my "desk adjuster". I provided (6 times), at my cost, structural and construction reports on the damage, which Liberty Mutual "lost".

The "field adjuster" thought we could repair this issue for less the $500. Of course he was not a licensed contractor, or structural engineer, or had any knowledge of the SFDBI. Followed by, months later, trying to send us $140 to settle this. The cost to fix is upwards of $175, 000+.

If anyone knows a good attorney, please have them contact me. This has gone on since last March.

• Bo
    Bonnie Burns Dec 23, 2019

This is the worst insurance company I have ever been with! I had a very similar experience with them. Non responsive and rude. They stated that they did not need to place Toyota parts on my car because generic are cheaper market parts. Even though market value parts do not fit well on a Toyota. They would not allow for a 2nd quote and threatened if I went outside of their contracted collision I would not have any warranties. I would not recommend this company to anyone!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices