Roomster.net aka Roomster Corp.this company is blatantly ripping people off!

K

Roomster.net aka Roomster Corp. - New York. This internet based company sells a roommate service. They offered me a 4 day pass for 5.95. However, they neglect to inform you that you are really signing up for a monthly service and they begin charging 29.95 immediately without notice. I attempted to cancel the service as soon as I noticed the unauthorized charge. The phone is a recording and the recording advises you to contact them via email only. When you email the company you get an auto response that denies the request for credit. I checked with the BBB and they have a total of 45/45 complaints unanswered for payment overcharging. This company is blatantly ripping people off and refuses to answer the consumer complaints.

• Gi
    Gina Shep Sep 12, 2007

They did the exact same thing to me as they did to the person originating this complaint. I have contacted the bank to dispute the transaction, hopefully they can get my money back.

John Schiller Sep 15, 2007

I disagree with this complaint. The site list the renewal policy right on the credit card page...I looked! They also allow you to cancel your billing at any time, and your account will not be renewed. Roomster worked for me, and I was able to cancel my billing no problem. I've used roomster for 3 years off and on without any problems. I highly recommend the site.

• Hy
    Hyun Choi Sep 15, 2007

Roomster.net should create a check box for renewal policy so no one can miss it, which authorizes roomster.net to renew billing only when the box is checked. Otherwise, SOMEONE IS GOING TO MISS IT (and I did) and roomster.net CANNOT avoid being blamed for ripping (at least some) people off. I never have imagined that I would actually get in this situation in AMERICA since in South Korea - where I spent my childhood - this kind of ripping off is punishable by law; and appearantly it is not a case in AMERICA. This is a disappointing fact to know. I thought you guys had better law system, but again, appearantly, it is not true.

I highly do not recommend this site.

• Fr
    FRANK WEINMAN Dec 07, 2007

I SIGNED UP FOR $14,00 , NOW AMERICAN EXPRESS WILL NOT STOP CHARGING ME $29.95 EVERY MONTH. MY ROOSTER BILL IS OVER $125.00

• St
    Stella Aug 19, 2008

This website has been very well designed so that it is easy to miss the fact that you are going charged after the three first free days. They have also looked at it legally so that if you missed that you were about to be charged you can't get the money back for a service you haven't even used! The suggestion to opt-in to be paid to use their service from Hyun Choi is very good. However, this is not something that they are going to implement. They want to remain unclear, they want the payment to be automatic when you register for the free service. This is how they make their money. Their are a lot of complaints on the net about roomster.com that they are fully aware of. If they wanted to be honest, they would have already set-up a system so that you can tick OK to be paid if you continue to use the service.
    All of the other websites to which I had subscribed to look for a place to rent were free and offered a much better service! I would suggest that you refrain from using romster.com. There are plenty of other good website offering you free listings such as www.rommate.com. Good luck on your search!

• Dr
    Drained Again Nov 03, 2008

I also agree with this comment. I have been ripped off by "Roomster "
    I cancelled my membership, but made the mistake ( after receiving an email from them that I had mail ) of logging in and signed up for a 3 day subscription at $5.95 in order to be able to read and answer my mail from so called potential renters. Never did hear from them !!!
    Apparently in doing this I automatically renewed my membership. "Roomster " has fraudulently robbed me of over $100. As a Senior, I really can not afford this loss.
    I would advise every one to stay away from this site. Furthermore, any one having positive comments regarding the company I would ask, "What made you look up this complaint site to begin with, if you only had positive views regarding "Roomster " Makes me wonder if perhaps you could be a member of the company itself ? "

• Ra
    Rachel Mar 03, 2009

roomsters STOLE over $1000 from me that I cannot get back. I signed up for a 3 day pass for $5.95 and they charged me 29.95 everyday until I finally had to take all the money out of my account. I was on vacation so I didnt think to check my bank statement. If I could find someone from this company to sue I would. And yes it IS a scam. Did you have $1000 stolen from you? DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!

• Nb

445 PARK AVE FL 9

New York, New York 10022

USA

Phone: [protected]

Website: No information provided.
    Classification:

nbr12 Jul 20, 2011

NYS Department of State

Division of Corporations

Entity Information

The information contained in this database is current through July 19, 2011.
    Selected Entity Name: ROOMSTER CORP.
    Selected Entity Status Information Current Entity Name: ROOMSTER CORP.
    Initial DOS Filing Date: SEPTEMBER 29, 2003
    County: NEW YORK
    Jurisdiction: NEW YORK
    Entity Type: DOMESTIC BUSINESS CORPORATION
    Current Entity Status: ACTIVE

Selected Entity Address Information DOS Process (Address to which DOS will mail process if accepted on behalf of the entity)
    ROOMSTER CORP.
    275 CENTRAL PARK WEST
    NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10024
    Registered Agent

• Mr
    MrCrabby Jul 08, 2012

Here are the ###' profiles. Send them some hate mail or something.

• Ka
    Kassandrac Aug 15, 2018

I deactivated and deleted my account about eight months ago and rooster has still been charging me this entire time up until this day. I need this removed ASAP!

• Us
    User1919 Aug 15, 2018

Roomster continues to allow a scammer to use my address and photos of my property to scam other users. I've tried to contact Roomster to alert them of this scam, but they don't care. Beware -- Roomster is full of fraudulent listings and scammers.

• A1
    a10cowgirl2 Aug 20, 2018

Looking for a room to rent. I get sent links to sign up on Roomster.com. That's not an option because I know Roomster.com is a scam. It's so frustrating. Why does Craigslist allow this?

• Br
    Bryan Clarke Aug 20, 2018

money was down out of my account and was curious if my rooster account the money went to or if it was a automatic withdraw that I don't know about my first time signing up for the rooster been using it for a couple of months so curious if its auto draw that I didn't give consent to

• Ku
    Kunzang Aug 20, 2018

I have downloaded roomster I am using full membership. Before I could unsubscribe from the app I accidentally deleted my account. I tried to login but it couldn't find my account. I deleted the app but I still get charged for something I am not using. I unsuscribe from iTunes but I still get charged.

Andrew Cortez Aug 20, 2018

Keep taking money and hiding behind fake contact information the right people will find you and prosecute your lieing asses

• Vi
    ViZa1507 Aug 21, 2018

I subscribed to roomster for 5 days. And at the end of subscription they charged me $25 without any reason. I activated the subscription on 05/14 and it ended on 05/18. I was charged additional amount which I was not supposed to pay. I desire for the refund of that amount as early as possible.

• Ni
    Nicolasitton Aug 21, 2018

I wish to have £10 credited to my account as I wasn't notified you would be taking it from my account every 30 days from my paypal account when I payed £1.00 to make my ad live no way or shape of from at time of paying to my make my ad live it was advised I was signed up to pay £10 every 30 days I want this resolved and my money back it's a con

• He
    Helen O'Connell Aug 29, 2018

Hello,
    I recently got notified someone is using my ID to scam others. I made the mistake of falling for the trap but didn't send them money. However, I did send my photo of my ID. My name is Helen O'Connell and it is a new York State license. I have since then deleted my account from roomster but now they are scamming others.

• Al
    Alex Torres Sep 01, 2018

I would like for you to reactivate my account, I found someone on this but did not work out. i paid for several renewals, I have not posted, or did anything to be flagged.

• Mo
    Morrigan666 Sep 02, 2018

I cancelled my Facebook account and I no longer will be on Facebook. I need to cancel my Roomster account asap. I don't use it anymore. How can I contact someone to stop this? I don't want to keep getting charged for something I'm not using... I would like this to be resolved asap!

• Sy
    Syd'ney Mathis Sep 05, 2018

You guys took 24.95 out my account that I did not sign up for. I only prayed for the smaller trial for 5 days and not to pay every month. I would like a refund ASAP

• Na
    N Alexzander Sep 10, 2018

I did not authorize y'all to take 7.99 from me at all give it back or imma pay you a huge visit you are a [censored]in fraud and imma show you what that's about if you keep taking money from me this is the 3rd time you have done this I have deleted my account a month ago I have your address give me my money back

• Kr
    Kristina155 Sep 10, 2018

I paid $7.51 for seven days only. Now I have some charge 7.71$ on october 2 and 7.75$ on october 18. I never authorized this payments. I would like a refund on my credit card. Please email me at [protected]@gmail.com

• Pi
    Pitts80 Sep 18, 2018

Deleted every last one of my accounts without any explanation blocked me from using my same email. Everytime would reach out to customer service they would block new account. Just foolishness no explanation whatsoever.

• Na
    Namuun Ganbat Sep 18, 2018

I paid originally $7.99 for seven days only. Now I have the same charge for the month of August. I never authorized this payment. My email is [protected]@yahoo.com

• Aj
    aj28393 Sep 18, 2018

Like many others I have been charged for months after cancelling. There is no response from customer service. I have put a dispute through to my credit card.

• De
    Dent Law Oct 14, 2018

Customer rep admitted to this app. Wing a scam.

• Ju
    JustLookingForAPlaceToLive Nov 13, 2018

They seem to have infiltrated Craigslist housing ads with real-seeming ads that prompt you to join Roomster.com upon which they will send emails to you where you have to pay to read the emails. They should be shut down. Straight-up phishing scam - surprised they aren't headquartered in Nigeria.

Chal01 Nov 14, 2018

They falsely market a 3 day trial to you for $5.95 and then as soon as the 3 days are up they will charge you $29.95

The listings are very suspicious -when you reach out they don't answer. Stay away and just use Craigslist, its a waste of money

• El
    Elaine Michaels Nov 19, 2018

Roomster is a scam beware
    After they charged my credit card account they cancelled my account and ad within 2 days instead of 30 days.
    I contacted my Bank and BBB to report them
    BEWARE THEY ARE FRAUDS

Anyone Else Aug 13, 2019

I've been looking for a room on craigslist. When contacting a few of the too-good-to-be-true listings, I get a reply from some fake looking email address. The reply is a generic short copy-paste message with a link to sign onto Roomster.com for more information. The original listing was obviously copied from a real local ad.

• Mi
    mikea62 Mar 11, 2020

I paid roomster 14.98$ for a background check but never received a conformation/ but they took that money out of my account right away/ I still don't know if the background check was done? patrick.[protected]@yahoo.com

Jared Herron May 16, 2020

I signed up for the site and I have been getting nothing but scammers this site is no good if you give my number it to the people!