RentalCars.comcar hire

D Sep 27, 2019

Dear Sir/ Madam,
I wish to make a complaint regarding a vehicle I hired from you. The details of the booking are: Booking reference no [protected]
Pick up - Sat 20/8/19 from Brindisi Airport
Drop off - Sat 24/8/19 at Bari Airport
I paid in full for this rental car some 6 months or more in advance. When I got to Brindisi airport to collect the vehicle on Saturday at around 11.30am, having spent a very long time queuing as the rental department was extremely busy, I was astounded to hear from one of your representatives that they had let the car go to someone else because I was not there to collect it between a certain time!!
This is absolutely unbelievable. I have never heard of this before in my many years of hiring vehicles abroad. We had flown into Brindisi the night before having been delayed by almost 2 hours hence the reason I was slightly delayed in getting back to the airport in the morning. I did not for one second think that you would let the vehicle that I paid the sum of £1, 126.53 for over 5 months ago (6/3/19), out to someone else. I was travelling with my wife, 2 children, my parents and my sister and her family who hired a vehicle through a different company. Never the less we needed two large vehicles between us whilst we were on holiday in Italy. I had paid for a ford c-max or similar and I was advised by rental cars that they were unable to provide this type of vehicle through Hertz but could find one with Budget, however, this would not be available until 3pm that day. I could not wait for this as my family were waiting for us and had checked out of the hotel. I therefore had no option than to cancel my booking with you and seek alternative car hire. Would you believe, as I cancelled via yourselves, I was stood at the Hertz desk and the rep there said he had a a suitable sized vehicle which I could rent directly with them! I was told by rental cars that there would be a cancellation fee of £150 and this would be deducted from the price I paid for the vehicle and the rest credited to my card. At the time I didn't have any alternative than to do this, even though this cancellation fee could have been avoided given Hertz did have a suitable car for me! I ended up renting a like for like car (renault scenic) from Hertz.

To date, however, have only received a refund of £830.13 credited to my card on 22 August 2019. I should have received the sum of £980.19 if you had processed the refund correctly.

However, my complaint is you did not make it clear to me that that you would let the car go if I was not there within a certain time, and also I would question whether it is even legal for you to let the vehicle go to someone else when I had paid in full for it well over 5 months earlier??? That is an absolute disgrace. Even if I didn't turn up for it at all, it should remain parked at your site for 2 weeks as I have paid for it. Why should you benefit twice? At the very least I would expect the full amount of the rental price to be refunded to me, i.e. we are still owed £296.40.
I await hearing from you.

Regards