Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Magazines & Newspapers Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands Office of the Prize Award Administrator

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - Office of the Prize Award Administrator

L
Author of the complaint
9:56 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Letters from Office of The Prize Award Adminstrator -
ATTN: Marisa Orsini

Many prizes, e.g. $500, 000.00, signed by Vice President Karen Burgess, Vice President of Finance Dept.
$60, 000.00, signed by same as above
$31, 500.00, again signed by same as above
$107, 500.00 - again same as above
$3, 500.00, again same as above
$ Keys top as new car, value of $40, 000.00
Free Piero Carlo (D. Alessio watch - Free)

All you must do is say "YES" and mail back to

Reader'w Digest
P.O. Box 1600, STN Westmount
Westmount QC, H3Z 3B4

"LAWRENCE LAVKULIK: 5 BIG CHEQUES WAITING TO BE CASHED!
With all the hard work done. we've left you the easy part. Just return your "cheques" by Dec. 15, 2008 Entry CloseDeadline. Each one is another chance for you to walk away with cash in hand, including our $500, 000.00 Grand Prize plus any one of 360 additional prizes totalling $202, 500.00. I'm waiting to forward our final list of winners to our Vice President of Finance, K. Burgess, for full payment, so please don't delay.

What happens next could be the moment you'd always dreamed about. It's the moment when you see a huge $500, 000.00 depsoit on your bank statement, yours to spend any way you'd want.!"

It goes on and on, someone might believe them, maybe you can stop this crap. I can FAX you pages of mail I get from Reader's Digest. I know one thing, I will never even read THE READERS DIGEST' again. This is garbage, nothing but garbage.

Thanks in advance
Lawrence Lavkulik

P.S. - Would be nice to hear from you and your comments.

Helpful? 0 0

More Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands complaints & reviews

Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - prize money
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - 3 free gifts
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - www.rd.ca/vault
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - THEY KEEP SENDING ME BOOKS THAT I HAVE NOT ORDERED
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - 1,000,000 fraud
Reader's Digest / Trusted Media Brands - Unsolicited VPP & Recipt of unordered book on 15-02-2010
132 comments

Once again, we are paying for something I don't recall ordering. We have received in the past some of the hardback bound story collections, which I did not order but decided to keep anyway, and payfor. This happened several times, and each time I lost a little more patience at being taken advantage of. This last time, I wrote on the package in BIG BOLD marker "return to sender", yet the bills keep coming.
Let it be known now that this is the LAST time I will EVER order/pay/communicate with this company. Shame on you for your shady practices! I am copying this email and intend to refuse ANY MORE packages that come my way. If I ever receive another nasty threat, I will be taking all this correspondence to my lawyer.
ENOUGH ALREADY! Marie Hayward
Robert Hayward

C
Aug 25, 2008 9:56 am

I subscribed the magazine Reader's Digest through i subscribe on 26 Mar 2008 and till now, not one issue arrived up till 27July 2008! 4 Months of waiting! Upon expediting them, they sent all 4 issues for 4 months in a go. Now it is August 26th and the August issue has not arrived (when It was supposed to come last week of July and 1st week August), and today is the 2nd email in a month i am writing to them about getting the August Issue posting out.

This is extremely frustrating and exhausting to have to expedite every time.

B

DEAR SIR
EVEN AFTER I HAVE PAID SUBSRIPTION AMOUNT Rs, 379.00 ON 08.07.2009 TO M/S LIVING MEDIA INDIA LTD, THRO' VPP POSTAL SERVICE, I HAVE NOT RECEIVED TILL NOW READER'S DIGEST.
REF. POSTAL VP PACKET NO:M-16892.

C
Jan 17, 2008 9:56 am

Even though subscription is no where near the expiration date I keep receiving renewal notices & phone calls. It is very confusing when you know you just renewed the subscription and you receive a notice yours is expiring. Also they offered a free 1-year bonus gift subscription plus a free gift subscription for a family member also a free desk calendar & pocket calendar ( which has never been received) I called their 800 number and they said they ran out of them & reordered them but it will be 8-12 weeks before I will receive them) Hello, that's 3 months into the new year I needed the dsk top NOW! I received a call yesterday stating my subscription will end in April, which I replied I just renewed AGAIN in Nov., that evening I received a book in the mail and my expiration date is DEC. 08. My family really enjoys the Reader's Digest but I think they are SCAMMING people!

X
Sep 17, 2010 9:56 am

So here is a World Class company from the Aussies down under, but the South African branch is a far cry from World Class! I have paid for a full year's subscription and to date I have only received 5 copies of the supposed 12. It's absolutely no use dealing with the call centre as they are based in another country and the staff in the call centre really struggle to understand what you are saying - they all sound Mexican! E-mailing them is not of much use either-I sent one explaining the situation and they came back saying that they have cancelled my subscription as per my request(I never asked them to cancel the subscription) and the Magazines will stop coming, but if any do arrive in the interim I may keep it with compliments - WITH COMPLIMENTS? HA! I paid for them! Reader's Digest owes me either the money back for books not received or the books I paid for. Crazy isn't it?! So yes, I wasted R254.00 on a 1 year subscription and I will never make that mistake again. Neither will I ever deal with Reader's Digest or recommend that anybody else use them! They are unprofessional and incompetent.

0 0

I received a card from my subscription to Reader's Digest. The entitlement was to enter a contest for a Sony GPS & the access code was 33791. The contest, per the card is scheduled to end Feb. 28, 2009. The directions were to go to www.rd.ca/gps. Each entry to that does not lead to any contest. I think that Readers Digest should be investigated for their contests. I am assuming there is a law to protect Consumers against fraud & this to me constitutes fraud.
S. Boone, Niagara Falls, Ont.

Mar 18, 2008 9:56 am

Once again I am shocked at the amount of lying Reader's Digest does. I subscribed for the Reader's Digest so that I can "win" a lot of money and, after 2 years, have yet to win a penny. I just received another copy of the Reader's Digest and found a card that said a surprise gift is waiting for me. I went to the website and, again, NOTHING! This is disgusting! The government should take some action against this company and dissolve its charter. I am sick to death of all their promises which never get delivered. I hope they can be penalized, and fast, before someone gets really hurt by their shady way of running a business. As far as I am concerned, they are sisters and I WILL NOT RENEW MY SUBSCRIPTION AGAIN!

Mar 14, 2009 9:56 am

I received a "free gift" from Reader's Digest. I was suprised, as I had never ordered anything from the company or had even been contacted by them. A few days later, I received an invoice in the total of $29.01 for something I never ordered. I finally located a number on their website under "Customer care" and am now waiting on the line (and have been for about 1/2 an hour). This is absolutely rridiculous that someone could send you something under the false pretenses of a "free gift" and then send you an invoice for something you never ordered.
I don't know about anyone else, but I am a student and my husband's income is the only thing supporting us and our three young children. In this economy, I cannot afford any more bills, especially for a worthless piece of junk that I never ordered in the first place!

0 0

Ok. Quit sending us bills for subscriptions we never made. This is a scam. What happened to the old Reader's Digest we once knew and loved? Now we hate you and will never read your magazine ever again! Are you not getting the message? Have you not checked out the complaints waged against you? Are you not shamefaced at calling your publication a family magazine? What gives? Do you not understand that one complaint is a possible class action suit for fraud? Do you live on another planet or even on Pluto, the most recent non-planet? And in addition to all this you expect us to spend money on a postage stamp in order to return you bogus billing statement? Geeeeeeeze! GET OFF OUR BACK AND DO NOT SEND ANY MORE JUNK MAIL TO OUR ADDRESS!

vsnc members

0 0

I am complaining about the bill I got today for the "Silks" book which I cancelled when I got the first free book. I do not want this book and I
do not intend to pay for it. I did not order it.
Question: Why doesn't an outfit as big as Reader's Digest have an 8OO
number where you can be reached to settles this kind of problem?
This last book came marked Free gifts inside, and then when I opened
it there was this book I did not order.

Please reply so that I know this has been taken care of.
Ruth Britton [protected]

K
Sep 18, 2007 9:56 am

I received a bill from Readers Publication Services indicating it was for Reader's Digest. I paid the $24.76 installment and then ironically a couple of days later I received a bill from Reader's Digest. I thought I had paid the wrong place so paid the bill from Reader's Digest and didn't pay any more to Readers Publications Services. Low and behold, we get a threatening statement indicating we would be referred to a collection agency for a whole $24.76. When we called to inquire, the lady (and I use that word loosely) indicated we should have read the back of the statement. Hm, sounds like a racket to me.

Jul 16, 2011 9:56 am

got a postcard (with my current Reader's Digest) that says "3 Free Gifts are waiting for you. claim then today at www.readersdigest.com/myfreegifts" but that web site ONLY wants to sell you additional subscription of the magazine - NO mention whatsoever of my 3 free gifts - where they are, what they are, or how to claim them - this is VERY deceptive !

F

I received via mail a box containing 3 books. On the cover of the box was a statement that the books were free. Later on I received a bill for the books. I have not ordered any books from Reader's Digest; therefore, I don't believe that I should pay them for what they said was free. I would have returned them to sender if that statement had not been on the box. I believe that they are practicing fraud via the U. S. Mail.

0 0

I never ordered these boos they were mared as free and then a few weeks later I get a bill for $30.88 and for $26.62 and I am astonished for this the box says free on the outside of the box so I opened it and now they want me to pay I dont think this write and if im wrong I want something showing I ordered these and then I will pay but I am notn going to pay for this scam..

G

I'm tired of Reader's Digest Company sending me Boosk's I did not order, and when I recive them they say this is your free gift, a month or so pass by them here come's the bill saying you owe this amount, now I'm tired of this I make payment and when I recieve the next bill it is higher then the first one.

O
May 03, 2010 9:56 am

Please, don, t sent more payment, because I never made the order for thase book. Thase book is: VOL2-10 THE SCARECROW. Thanks

Sep 10, 2009 9:56 am

tried to enter access code to enter draw for an ipodtouch. number put in computer but says it is not valid. i notice other people having the same complaint it seems that everyone has the same code 94735. i feel this is a big scam and doesn't say much rfor the credibility of READER'S DIGEST> i would like a responce to this complaint at [email protected] or phone number listed above.

W
May 18, 2009 9:56 am

I just checked your page of recent winners. The contest for the Nikon Camera closes on May 31, 2009 but I see where you have already awarded the prizes. How can this happen? Is it not illegal? Willis Fox

A

I am getting a little fed up with Reader's Digest. Always sending out sweepstakes garbage. I wonder if people really do win? If they quit with all this paper that keeps coming in the PO boxes, they could certainly charge less for their subscription. Also this free gift card that comes..what a laugh that is. You cannot even contact them via e-mail. I like the magazine but don't think I am going to be re-subscribing.

Jan 21, 2009 9:56 am

The web site www.rd.ca/gps does not exist. Cannot enter the contest. I now will not be resubscibing to your magazine

Jan 20, 2009 9:56 am

Several complaints have been filed on this contest - site does not exist. The site does exist - but is found only if you search Canada sites only - it will not come up on www. search. This solution should be posted as it is a valid site and the contest is not a scam. I have been able to access the site and have confirmation of my entry. TRY IT ! ! ! !

Apr 27, 2008 9:56 am

I have tried to enter the contest www.rd.ca./ipodtouch and nothing is available. I have also written to Reader's Digest and did not receive a reply. Why do they attach a promise of contest entry with my Reader's Digest monthly magazine, then when I try to enter there is nothing .

T
Feb 12, 2008 9:56 am

Free surprise gift is a non-entity. When you try to enter the web site, you get nothing but gobbdy-[censored]. Another rip-0ff by and supposedly customer oriented company. I am canceling as soon and I can. Good by Reader's Digest.

Jan 24, 2008 9:56 am

I recently received 2 offers in the mail headed by rd.ca/ccvault and rd.ca/jackpot. Neither of these links work and there is no money to be won. I am disappointed in RD as I would have thought they would be above this type of fraud.

R
Sep 20, 2007 9:56 am

I have subscribed for Reader's Digest magazine for a year and have paid an amount of Rs.379/- for the VPP dated the 18th of August containing the three mystery gifts. But, I have not received a copy of the above mentioned magazine till to this date. Any suggestions?

0 0

Reader's Digest keeps sending my parents books that they have not ordered. And then sending them the bill for it. They do not want any of these books at all. They need to stop sending them information about these books they are elderly and they are getting conned into trying to buy things they do not want.

S

I don't have anything on Crossfire, don't want any Reader's Digest products. I keep getting bills that I don't understand. Account [protected] on this bill must be cancelled I won't pay anything on this account now or in the future.

Nov 13, 2010 9:56 am

Every time i get a book & pay it with a Cancel on it for any future shipments they keep sending more.

0 0

I believe that this is the third time in roughly 15 months that RD has sent out 'Thousands of dollars to be won!' material where the followed instructions show that no such competition exists. WHY does RD do this?

N
Aug 24, 2010 9:56 am

I received a notice from Readers Digest saying I might of won a lottery and wanted all of yy personal information, Social Security number, D.O.B etc. This was mailed from Canada. I did not feel this was legitamate and was a ploy to get my personal information for illlegitamate reasons.

0 0

Tried to respond to free gift offer at www.rd.ca/go/pick and unalbe find site. Got this site instead. Not mutch help here in ordering the gift.

R
Dec 19, 2009 9:56 am

i have received a vpp from reader's digest from an address Living Media Shop.:119 Anarkali Complex Jhandewalan extn New Delhi-110 055

Nov 23, 2009 9:56 am

In the December issue of Reader's Digest there is a page offering a monthly draw to win $5, 000 cash, with an a bonus access code #, but there is no way to access it. Yet again another scam that is by the wayside; as I haven't been able to enter very many of these at all. Maybe once.

Nov 18, 2009 9:56 am

Sweepstakes mailouts. I don't want to ever hear from Marisa Orsini again and the amount of paper generated by RD in this process is criminal. Not only that but I can't just recycle because my name is on so many of the pages in the package.

Oct 07, 2009 9:56 am

i recently was notified that i had won 1, 000, 000, 000 and a check for 3, 480.00 came in the letter it was afake.i plan on seeking legel help to go after this company. so many people have been hit by this company it's time to fight back.

A

I too have received the card to win an ipodtouch-same number as others listed - 94735 - draw close Sept. 30/09. There is no website to enter-SHAME on you RD. I used to trust you. My subscription will not be renewed even if i happen to love the jokes!

Jun 19, 2009 9:56 am

I purchased and paid for a 1001 answers to questions, with a promise that a wheather station gadget will be sent to me, instead a cheap carculator was sent to me byA-Z Direct Maketing, Inc.

N
Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am

I did not deposit the $4, 815.00 in my account to receive a certified check for $242, 000.00, because I knew it was not real.

May 30, 2009 9:56 am

on 11/20/2007 spoke to David Kelly [protected] and ordered 4 years of Reader's Digest for $19.95. Payments cleared my bank on 12/07/2007, 01/8/2008, 02/07/2008, and 03/07/2008. Continue to receive bills from Reader's Digest.

B
Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am

Keep getting cards in the mail for a free gift from Reader's Digest. This is a joke! Nothing is free these days! If you go to the website given by Reader's Digest, it brings you to a contest site. Others have complained, can something be done?

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

100 complaints