Progressive Business Publications Logo

Progressive Business Publications

Having problems with Progressive Business Publications?

+1 610 695 8600 (Head Office)
+1 570 628 5939 (Pottsville, PA)
370 Technology Dr.

York, PA
3931 East Market St., York, PA 17402

Complaints & Reviews

fraud and cheating

Company information: Progressive Business Publications 370 Technology Drive Malvern, Pennsylvania United...

Resolved false invoice

We received a call from International Credit Recovery for a subscription that was never ordered. The invoice was faxed to our office and shows a past due balance of $299.00. Noone in our office ordered this subscription.

watchoutortheywillgetyou Oct 31, 2012

If you get a invoice from Progressive Business Publications all you have to do is e-mail... [email protected]

TFS Mar 07, 2013

Please send your complaints about fraudulent conduct regarding International Credit Recovery Inc. and Progressive Business Publications to the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, E consumer .gov, the Better Business Bureau, and/or your local General Attorney's office.

Resolved fraudulent invoice

This company sent us a bogus invoice for a bogus publication called "Administrative Professional Update" that no-one at our office has ever heard of or would EVER (!!!) be interested in. Needless to say, no-one has ordered or approved this publication, either (especially the employee named on the invoice), which by-the-way would have had to be authorized by myself in the first place.

Looking at the other posts in this forum, it is clear that this is the way this company operates and -sadly- nothing is really being done about it. Shady business practices like these need to be stopped! I am sick of ### backs!

• Ha
    Hassled Jan 06, 2010

Constantly getting mail from these people. Either invoices and sometimes stupid flyers. We do not know where they come from and no one subscribed to them, yet they do not understand the word "CANCEL" nor do they understand the phrase "WE DO NOT WANT YOUR BUSINESS" because they keep making new accounts in our name and sending us the same crap and new invoices. If you ever have anything to do with the be prepared for a lot of junk mail that you will have to pay for to send back, because if you don't they will charge you for them, is what it says according to the paperwork. They state to return to cancel. Haven't seen that happen yet as we are recieving the crap from them still.

BishPBP Jan 14, 2010

So if you are having problems with PBP. Obviously, an employee within your company talked to them, agreed to the "free of charge, subscription with the right of cancellation" other wise...they wouldn't be coming in the mail to you, nor would they have proof of the person's name, address, and also their Month and Day of their birth. Apparently...the companies need to pay a little more attention..during phone calls and understand what they are agreeing to! Nothing is free. The first two issues are...we say it "free of charge"...hello...how much clearer can the saying be?

subscription plan

Free Trial Issues turned into having a collection agency calling my place of business daily demanding payment. Stay away from them. Invoices were returned marked cancel. No phone number or email on invoices to cancel with. Stay away. 9

TFS Mar 07, 2013

Resolved failure to cancel account after repeated requests

I have repeatedly tried to cancel accounts and continue to receive publications that are always returned. Now two bills have been received regarding subscription renewals to items I don't want! I have emailed, called and written this company multiple times in the past 6 months with no answer and complete failure to just delete the account. I refuse all publications and return all bills with CANCELED hoping they will get the deal. But they don't.

Progressive Business Publications is a horrible company for customer service and publications. I don't recommend them to anyone.

Resolved unauthorized subscriptions

This company states that as an employee at a long term care company in SC, I ordered 16 magazines for managers and supervisors. I do not remember ordering these magazines. I am no longer with this particular company and now I am being asked to pay a bill for 691.20. This is fraudulent to say the least. I would have to have gotten corporate approval for this.

Resolved invoice

I looked for this company online and read all the complaints. I called co to complain also when they brought up the order i found it had been cancelled already. I had started a trial and sent the invoice back, received another publication and saw red!! I figured i would threaten them as the internet says works, but it was not necessary. I asked them why the complaints? They dont understand, but it is mostly people like me, who instead of calling them, write complaints and assume they messed up. I recommend you call them first then complain if you still feel it neccessary, most complaints are invalid, and even the bbb complaints, if you actually check them, have been unfounded and resolved.

• Kw
    kwiggerly12 Jan 21, 2010

I just received an invoice from Progressive Business Publications stating it was the 2nd notice and that payment was overdue for some bogus publication I had never heard of. I have never spoken to anyone from this company, nor have I ever ordered anything from them. I never even received the 1st invoice! This company is a scam, and don't bother calling them because you'll just end up getting in an argument with some rude telemarketer more or less calling you a liar. I can't believe that places like this are allowed to operate under any magnitude...where's the better business bureau when you actually need them!

• Be
    Belcorp Apr 12, 2011

I received a call from Lynn Gregory informing me that I have a invoice due for $237.12 since Oct 2010. I asked her what it was for. She said I accepted a free trial back in September and didn't opt of receiving publications after the 30 day trial. I told her no one told me that I had to do that. I accepted the trial because telemarketers would not stop calling me and they assured me I wouldn't get billed and if I like the service then I would pay for it. I told her I was NOT going to pay for anything especially since I did not receive anything, not one publication! She said it wasn't "her fault" and I needed to check with whoever handles the mail. She then proceeded to ask me for my title and was very rude by telling me to "admit" that I signed up for it and to just pay it. Very unprofessional. Obviously its a scam and its sad that they have to get business by sending invoices in hopes that someone will pay for it.

• Hi
    hilite Jun 26, 2011

You can not call If There Is No Phone Number on the Fake invoice!

• Pa
    Pam McGovern Jun 11, 2013

Completely agree with the person commenting here as there is NO telephone number on any of the invoices these people send out! I received a telephone call today telling me I ordered this coding publication however we don't even have coders here in our office nor do we need any publications that discuss such issues! The lady caller insisted that I placed the order and when I told her I have looked for a phone number on the invoice to call and discuss the bill, she simply told me that there have been e-mails sent to me as well. I told her I never received any e-mails but I will contact my company IT department to search the e-mail address she gave to me. I doubt there will be any messages ever received. This company is a scam and although I am surprised to see so many complaints, I am glad people can take the time to make a public complaint so others are aware as well. I will contact the legal entities noted above to further lodge a formal complaint against their fraudulent practices!

Resolved bogus invoice

The compoany Progressive Business Publication sent my employer company an invoice claiming that I ordered a one year subscriptiono to the Internet & Marketing Report. I did not order this. My employer company does not subscribe for publications. In trying to contact Progressive Business Publications I went online to search for their phone contact since it was not shown in the invoice. The Google search also gave a Progress Business Publication Scam site which I reviewed the compl;aints contained therein. I now understand the invoice is a scam. I will be reporting it to the BBB and fax Progressive Business Publication that we would not be making payment and that we have lodged a complain to the BBB and submitted a complaint to the Progressive Business Publication Scam web site.

• Bu
    Burbank, Ca Apr 08, 2010

We received one of those invoices that stated we subscribed to the Progressive Business Publications - Selling Advantage. We did not make any such subscription. We have no intention of paying the invoice.

They will need to provide written evidence that any such subscription was placed. We want the signatures. We filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov. I hope more people will follow our lead and file complaints with the FTC.

If there are enough complaints against this company the FTC will take legal action. These people need to be stopped. With the economy in such a bad place right now, any additional burden to a struggling company's finances could mean more lay-offs or the complete shut down of businesses.

This type of unethical business just makes our economic/individual recovery and survival more difficult. How many more people do they have to put on unemployment?

Resolved invoice scam

Got a letter call from ICR collection agency stating that we owed $299 for an accounts payable publication we did not authorize shipment of. Was told if we paid $130 they would cancel the rest and not charge more. To keep our credit clean we gave our visa # to pay the $130. We were given the name of the employee who supposedly authorized it by giving her birthday. It sounded fishy, but this employee was at Mayo clinic battling skull cancer (not an exaggeration) so we let it go. When this employee came back to work, she had a copy of the original invoice that she had mailed back to the company with a big X through it, having written on it "did not order". I called progressive to notify them of the situation and they had me fax it to them. A few days later, I spoke with Cynthia Thomas who was nice at first and eluded to the fact that she did us a favor by reducing the original $299 to $130. When I asked her to reverse the $130 since we had documentation showing that we did not want the publication, she started getting a little more defensive and said she would not reverse it since that invoice was not sent back within 30 days (which it was, but we couldn't prove). I told her that this is a huge scam and that there are complaints all over the internet about this company. She said she didn't care what people were saying about her on the internet. At that point she was becoming belligerent, so I told her forget it, that I would just do a chargeback on the VISA. She responded by saying, "Fine, if you do a chargeback, I'll "come at you for the whole $299", and hung up on me. Wow, what business savvy!

• Se
    setrudeau Jun 30, 2010

Did you get the charge reversed from Visa? Have the same situation and just told our MasterCard company to dispute the charge. Waiting for a response from PBP and hoping to have our $237 back. Was not lucky enough to be offered a lower rate. Just a sad scam of a company.

Resolved fraudulant invoice

This company sent the company that I work for an invoice for $299.00 for a safety newsletter. They used my name as the person that order it, funny thing is that the invoice date was during a week that I was on vacation. When I called them to question why we were being billed they were very rude and argued with me over the issue. It's a scam, don't pay these people anything.

• Ca
    california2013 Sep 23, 2013

progressive business is a fraud they call over a year ago and ask my name how many employs worked with us and to speak with our HR and when i told them we did not have HR department they ended the call...now there sending an invoice for$299.00
    for a 12 month HR news letter... that we never received...and there threatening to send to collections ...We have reported them to BBB...and i was not the first or last.DO NOT PAY they are SCAMS

Resolved free offer/no obligations/invoice sent

Received a call from a rep at Progressive Business Publications offering a free trial subscription to The Selling Advantage newsletter, to be sent twice a month. I informed the rep that my company was small and had no interest in their offer. The rep said that they would send one copy and call me back to see if there was any interest after reading the publication. I informed the rep that it was a waste of time and that there would be no interest.

We then received three issues and then an invoice. I am sending back a copy of the invoice, marked "Invalid. Never Ordered", along with a letter and a copy of this posting.
Hopefully this will work but based on the other posts, it will not and legal action or a call to the Better Business Bureau will be necessary.

BishPBP Jan 14, 2010

I am an employee at the Meadville, PA branch - I take a great deal of pride in my position and company. This is now my 3rd time returning to this company, just shows how great of a place it is to work. PBP is an amazing company to work for, they are for HONEST and CARING. All employees at PBP take alot of pride in the service we give to our customers. I first want to explain (again) how the process works, since many of you seem to have a problem listening and comprehending information. PBP puts alot of time in effort into the training of their reps, not only for their benefit but the benefit of our customers - current and future. All of our calls are scripted (approved by many business law professionals), a rep goes off script it is possible that their employment is terminated. The most important section of the script is the Invoice and Offer section, which states " that after receving your 2nd issue you WILL receive an invoice, if you find the publication invaulable you write cancel on the invoice and send it back" Very simple instructions I would say. Our reps never say they will call back to check. Secondly, We ask if you feel it can fit into your budget... If at anytime during the conversation we sense hesitation we DO NOT place the order. Never once during the conversation do we say it is a free trial... YOU purchased a subscription with the option to cancel!

I would like to say I am sorry for any inconvience your lack of comprehension may have caused you. I assure you our reps only have the best interest of your company in mind, just as they do for the 200, 000+ customers we currently have had for the past 20years including all Fortune 1000 companies... I guess take it as a lesson learned... LISTEN AND PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!

mamaruby Jan 02, 2011

I worked at the Meadville office it is scripted but it does say free trial if not find useful can cancel by writing cancel on the invoice or cancel on the website.BEWARE IF YOU QUIT BETTER CALL MAIN OFFICE FOR CHECK IF YOU WANT IT, So far I'm still trying to get mine. ANd Jenn is a lying sneeky big mouthed _itch, and you will freeze it is cold in thier office have to punch out to go to bathroom or get a drink,

• El
    ELIZABETHTOWN Jul 01, 2014

SENT UNWANTED NEWSLETTER THAT WERE NOT ORDERED AND CONTINUE TO BILL FOR THEM.

fraudulent invoice & submission to collections

We were billed for a subscription that was not ordered by our company or anyone working for our company...

Resolved fraud/malfeasance

This morning I received an invoice from Progressive Business Publications for a subscription to "Foundation ...

Resolved bogus subscriptions

Been fighting with PBP since November 2008 regarding a $299 unpaid invoice for an unsolicited and never received publication called "What's Working in Human Resources". Regularly we receive faxes and menacing phone calls from Cynthia Thomas at International Credit Recovery, Inc. The last time she called she said all conversations are recorded so I asked her to play back the conversation we allegedly had about me ordering this publication. She said they already recorded over it. Cynthia Thomas of International Credit Recovery swears I ordered the item because after all "they have0 my date of birth". Well anyone with a half brain knows no one will ask for a date of birth and anyone with half a brain would never give out that information when ordering an item. Second it was the wrong date! The last time Cynthia called she asked if I was the President or Owner of the company. Although I'm in upper management I told her I was just a peon answering the phones every day. She totally was taken back! The phone calls and faxes claiming I owe them $299 have stopped for now so I think I found the answer to get them to stop! We also reported them to the BBB and Missouri Attorney General's office.

• We
    Western Title & Escrow Co. Dec 10, 2009

Thank you! We have had the same experience.

TFS Mar 07, 2013

Resolved invoiced for something not authorized

This company called an employee here under the guise of doing a survey and then started billing us for a Quality Managers Alert magazine that we either never received -or- was thrown out when the mail was received because we don't pay our employees to sit around and read magazines -- they're here to work.

We get scam mail daily and I throw out the unopened scam mail as I am aware, in our small company, of any subscriptions and/or advertising that are authorized here, so I know which ones are legitimate and which ones are not.

We don't even know what this magazine looks like and they want us to pay for it? I don't think so. They have now turned this over to International Credit Recovery Inc. to try to collect. I will issue complaints wherever I can on this company and their scam artists.

• Mc
    mcc1008 Jun 18, 2009

Funny - I had a lady call and offered this FREE TRIAL for CFO & Controller Alert newsletter. I advised her that we did not want to receive this publication, but she insisted that we take a look at it. She continued to talk her talk even after I had told her several times NO.
    Now I'm receiving an invoice for $299.99. What's up with that. Another scam???

Cha999 Jul 23, 2009

I too have now been contacted by a collections agent regarding junk mail I threw out as business mail spam. This is a scam. Of note is that businesses getting this invoice should check with all emloyees that receive mail. In my case I own a small company and see the inbound mail and invoices. PBP tried to send the Managers Alert newsletter to our director of operations (me) as an employee and the invoices to an Accounts Payable Dept at our company address. This is also me. Funny thing was that the invoices started at 3rd Notice and was already past due. Did the USPS somehow loose the first 2 invoces and then the 3rd got thru? Nah, I don't think so and since I see all inbound mail I know the first invoice was number 3. I think this type of practice should be turned over to a BBB for filing.

Resolved fraud

We are a small non-profit. Katy from Progressive Business Publications called a part-time employee with no...

Resolved awful company

It all begins when you start receiving invoices for $240 for a business newsletter to which you did not subscribe. You will get several invoices over a period of months. Then you will start getting telephone calls from a 'collection agency.' The telephone number of the person representing herself as a collection agency is [protected], an area code in south-central New York. When you ask for proof that you subscribed to the newsletter, you are told that you gave your birth date as confirmation. Of course, birth dates are easy to come by and many people have them on their Facebook accounts.

I do not know why the government has not shut down this operation. This is the second time they have fraudulently tried to pry money out of me. They tried it before about eight or ten years ago.

Because the invoices are sent to businesses and addressed to 'Accounts Payable, ' my guess is that oftentimes the invoices are paid by some clerk who thinks that someone in the organization actually did subscribe to the publication.

• Ca
    Cat837 Jul 04, 2009

Progressive Business Publications is not a scam company. The company has been in operation for a lot of years! When the Sales Reps contact the businesses "offering" 2 FREE OF CHARGE, issues of the current newsletters...they make it CLEAR, they are FREE OF CHARGE, the FIRST two are only free, they explain to the customer STRAIGHT out, during the second issue, you will be receiving a invoice, if the services are not up to par and the newsletter has not been beneficial you need to "write cancel" on the invoice and mail it back. Or if you decide to continue with the newsletter service it is...299 say for 23 issues. Which come out twice a month, all except one month...December. It's clear as day. I don't understand where everyone states that..they are not aware of invoices. The very last part of the conversation tells you what you need to do with the invoice if you decide to cancel or continue. The day.month birth. confirms the "subscription with a right of cancellation"... to confirm who the sales rep talked to and for quality control! Also, all calls are taped!

• He
    henri198345 Jan 28, 2010

AREN'T YOU JUST THE CUTEST LITTLE THING THIS SIDE OF SATAN'S YOUNGEST SON...HOW ABOUT THIS FOR CONVERSING, MY ETHICALLY DEPRIVED CYBER ### CONTACT...BITE MY HAIRY ###!!!

AS TO YOUR MEALY MOUTH AND FECKLESS DISCLAIMER ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT, YOUR LYING AND UTTERLY MISLEADING ADS AND YOUR RIDICULOUS TERMS AND CONDITIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHOVE THEM WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE, BEGINNING ANYTIME YOU ARE IN THE PROPER POSITION!!

OR NOT...YOUR CALL!

YOUR AD WAS EXPLICIT AND SPECIFIC TO RISK FREE REVIEW OF A PRODUCT.

BUT DID YOUR PRODUCT DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO ASSIST ME IN MY FRUSTRATION? NO!

DID YOUR PRODUCT CAUSE ME GREAT ADDITIONAL FRUSTRATION? YES!

DID YOUR PRODUCT AND ADS MAKE ME FEEL STUPID AND GULLIBLE? YES!

ARE YOU ALL JUST ### SUCKING GUTTER SLUTS WHO SHOULD BE SWEPT INTO THE NEAREST SEWER PIT TO MOLD AND ROT UNTIL THE END OF TIME?

HELL YES!!!

YOU SIMPLY SCAMMED ME AND WENT YOUR MERRY THIEVING WAY.

BURN IN HELL YOU HUMAN REJECT!!!

OTHER THAN THIS, YOUR PRODUCT IS SIMPLY WONDERFUL!

BY THE WAY, HAVE I CALLED YOU A NUMNUTS YET? NO...LET ME CORRECT THAT...NUMNUTS!!!

IN WHICH PRISON DID YOU CONCOCT THIS ELABORATE MARKETING SCAM SCHEME?

YOU ARE ALL PATHETIC LOSERS WHO NEED A FEW YEARS ON A REMOTE AND DESERTED ISLAND WHERE YOU WOULD COME TO LEARN THE FINE ART OF MAN LOVE AND ALL ITS ASSOCIATED NATURAL WONDERS.

MAY YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND YOUR MISLEADING AND FALSE ADVERTISING GIVE YOU A LONG TERM CASE OF TERMINALLY PAINFUL CONSTIPATION!

I HOPE THAT I HAVE MADE MYSELF CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOUR CRIMINAL BRAIN TO COMPREHEND!!!

YOU AND YOURS COLLECTIVELY SUCK!!!

TFS Mar 07, 2013

Resolved company sent invoices for free publication

Telemarketer called to see fi they could send some free issues of CFO & Controller Alert to see what I thought. I agreed to them sending two "risk-free" issues. I received one newsletter and then two invoices billing me for $299. The invoiced thanked me for ordering a year's subscrption. I never agreed to ordering the newsletter. I never even got the two newsletters to review. This company is not reputable. I suggest not doing business withe them.

• Da
    DanFellas Oct 19, 2009

I strongly disagree with the dissatisfaction of the CFO & Controller Alert. I tried out their "Risk-Free" issues, and I loved them so much, I bought a year's subscription. The newsletter not only saved me time, it gave me ideas to boost my cash-flow and control my spending. I strongly recommend checking it out for free! -Dan Mellas, CFO

• I echo the original complaint -CFO & Controller Alert is not reputable and trys to collect for subscriptions that you never signed up for or approved. If you deal with them be prepared to get harrassing calls from a collection agency trying to force you to pay $299 or else!

• Fo
    Fooledonlyonce Apr 17, 2014

I also agree with the original complaint - CFO & Controller Alert is a SCAM! They strong arm you into accepting a free trial which ends up costing $299. I never signed up for it, yet they were still able to say I agreed to it by not returning the first copy that was sent to me. If you deal with them be prepared to get harassing calls from a collection agency trying to force you to pay $299 or risk your good credit rating.!