Complaints & Reviews

deceptive trade practices

Ordered promotional $19.95 (free shipping) Proactiv after viewing TV ad. Provided credit card information to...

refuses to refund money for product sent back

I am pissed!! In Nov 2010, I recieved a proactive shipment which my wife decided she wasn't going to use it any more. So I called customer service and had them cancel my account. The Customer service rep said the account could not be closed all the way due to the outstanding balance due. I informed her that my wife wasn't going to use it, and asked if I could send it back. The CS rep said that I could send it back and the amount would be credited, and my account would be closed completely. I sent the shipment back within a couple weeks of receiving it. (Well within the 60 day refund period)

So I get a bill Jan 24th, 2011 stating that my payment is 2 months past due. I call CS again, and they tell me they recieved/processed my returned shipment on Jan 20th, 2011. But they said this date was outside of the 60 days for the money back guarantee, so they would not credit my account. They told me I could pay for the amount and they would ship it back to my house. I told them I didn't want it, and since they had the unopened product why couldn't they just credit the account. She continued to tell me they wouldn't credit the account. I the spoke with an "account specialist" who told me the same thing. I inquired why it took almost 2 months for them to receive and process my return, and they told me it usually takes about 4-6 weeks to process the return. So they told me if they didn't recieve/ process it within 60 days then I don't get my money back. I am [email protected]#$ pissed off now, because they have the product I sent to them, but won't credit my account because they were to lazy to move things along quickly. Sounds to me like they just take thier time "processing" returns to make sure you are stuck paying for it whether you like it or not. The best they can do is ship the product back to my house!!! I am never giving anyone else a good review of proactive, (oh, and even used properyly it doesn't work). Let me know if you know if you know of someone who I can contact to resolve this poor CS experience.

never never ever order from this website or by phone

Never never ever order from this website or by phone. Only order from their kiosks. My wife ordered off their website and got a great price. However by ordering that initial shipment of their product, you are now joining their club. That means that you are agreeing to allow them to send you their product at FULL price every 2 months. The product that they send is enough to last more than 2 months. Then when you try to cancel they say OK no problem, but than they keep sending you stuff. We had to call 4 TIMES and finally got them to agree to stop sending and stop charging. STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS! I am seriously considering lodging a more formal complaint. It is a great product but their marketing of it is the worst.

unauthorized charges

Do not get mixed up with ordering the $19.95 proactive offered on internet and TV..it is a scam!...They say you have 30 days to cancel but when you call to cancel in less than 30 day they say the shipment has already been sent and they have to charge you...it ends up costing you over 70.00 even if you do cancel within the 30 days...there advertizement is all a lie to cheat you...beware!!

excessive billing

Dissatisfied customer!!

Wont refund money
When you order from proactive you are now signed up for an automatic billing and shipping program every 2 months!! Once they have your information they will continue to send out new shipments (And bill you before they are even sent)! Customer service told me they can not stop the billing so I will have to go to bank to fight the charge. I am ver disgusted with this manipulation if the company is so great why is it that they are deceiving what they are really about and that is money. I am really upset, I trusted them with my debit informaion I don't know what else to do it is just a scam, then they will attach vitamins to your account if anybody has any information on what I can do to stop my account with them, they are telling me I can't thanks kathrine trochimowicz

• Le
    leslie c Oct 19, 2010

This is very true, I have gotten products from them as well and the same thing happen to me to..This is bull crap..

constantly charging when I did not order

I ordered the discounted trial version of proactive and then the next month I was billed and sent another kit that i did not order, the shipment frequency option on my account with the website was frozen so I could never change it, I finally told them I wanted the longest time in between shipments possible accepting that they will always just ship me them every so many months. Well they shipped and charged me for a MASSIVE size proactive kit that will last me a year, and I DID NOT ORDER IT. I asked them to not send me ANYTHING for the 26 week period. They are ripping people off and scamming them, it's nearly impossible to get it through to them that you want to buy a product when you want it not when they decide to just charge you for it.

Joanna Barclay Nov 22, 2007

I have & still are having $9.95 taken off my credit card with out my authorization & haven't been able to stop them.

• Ne
    nellieandalexis Apr 21, 2010

I order proactive while ago and i paid for it and my order did come. Now they are charing me 45 dollars after i already paid for it and i havent brought anything. They are doing this without my knowlege. They keep sending me bills. I dont know what they are charing me for. The stuff also dosent work to well, it dries out the skin. The commericals are a lie.

sam112233 Dec 19, 2010

I ordered only 30 day plan and thought of just checking the product. I didn't even use it properly. They send me another shipment and charged my account. this is really bull ###. i never requested and when i called these guys they respond to me in very bad way once they hang my phone and when i called again they are saying that there systems are not working. This is the craziest company i have ever seen, I called them 20 days back and cancelled my account after receiving my first shipment still they didn't refund my money they are keep on charging my account. i don't understand the ### rules of this company. I order once they already charged thrice and they are saying that they will charge again, If at all you don't need it doesn't matter. I'll suggest dont buy anything from this site.

never received the package, but sent to collection agency

ProActiv charged my credit card even though I never received the product. I called the customer service...

unauthorized billing

My wife ordered some Proactiv from their website. There was no rhyme nor reason to the billing. My wife i...

horrible customer service

After using Proactiv for about three months my skin was sensitive and dry and dull. Yes my acne went away but it came back worse after a couple of weeks, because of my dry skin I guess. I decided to cancel and the service rep told me that my latest shipment was in the mail. She said I would have to mail it back to them and get a "proof of mailing." In case it got lost. In March I sent the package and got that proof of mailing. Then no more bills or shipments came and I moved in May.

Today I got a notice saying I owed them $60 for a shipment. I called and the first person I spoke to said they had no record of my shipment being received and asked if I had my proof of mailing. I said no, because I had thrown out the tiny slip of paper after three months. The rep was quick to point out that 5% of shipments are lost in the mail. She said there was nothing she could do and I'd have to pay.

I called back thirty minutes later steaming that I would have to pay for something I SENT BACK. This time the rep said they had a record of my return being received on June 18th. So the first person blatantly lied to me. She said that since it was past the 60 day return period, I'd still have to pay. After a lot of arguing and asking about ten times to speak to her supervisor, I informed the rep that I WOULD NOT pay for a product that I sent back and pay a company that lied to its customers.

She wouldn't let me speak to her manager, but asked me to hold. A minute later came back and said my balance was cleared.

This seems like such a swindle and a scam. Not only is the product bad, but the customer service was absolutely horrendous. If you like the product, buy it a mall kiosk. The online service is the worst.

customer service

Let me break it down for you readers:

May 2010 - New customer to Proactive. I asked for a 90 day kit with a 3 payment option (1st month - $27.94, 2nd month - $19.95, 3rd month - $19.95).

June 2010 - Got my shipment of Proactive, but was NOT 90 day kit. Called customer service, told them there was a mistake. They told me that I did not order a 90 day kit, I told them I did. Went back and forth for a while. The CSR (Brian/Bryan) told me that what I did receive was a better saving, when in fact it was not. I tried to break it down to him, but he would not listen. He then told me "...perhaps you don't know your math as well as you think you do." NO JOKE. I told the CSR that I wanted a 90 day kit with the 3 payment option, he told me that I would have to keep what I got already and that he would change my order for the next time around... which is a 90 day kit with the 3 payment option. Problem sovled??? Not quite, read on.

August 2010 - Got my shipment of the 90 day kit of Proactive BUT was not billed for the 3 payment option, instead was billed for a 2 payment option (1st month - $37.92, 2nd month - $29.92). Called customer service and first thing I asked her(Cheryl/Sheryl) "What payment option do my records show?" Her response, "The 3 payment option." I then explained to her that my bill showed otherwise. She then RETRACTED her statement by telling me that "I was indeed on the 2 payment option." I explained to her that I had originally asked for a 3 payment option with the 90 day kit (see May 2010) and then thought the problem was corrected when I had called back in June 2010. She then explained to me that "...in order to have a 3 payment option with your 90 day kit, you have to ASK for it when you FIRST set up your order with Proactive." Uhh... I did. But according to her, I did not. Also according to her, Brian/Bryan, the CSR whom I talked to in June 2010, HAD CORRECTED the problem by changing it to the 90 day kit, but "accidentally clicked the wrong payment option" when I spoke to him. There was nothing she could do for me. So I cancelled.

Moral of the story, huge multi-billion dollar companies like Guthy-Renker hire people to read off scripts when people call and treat their customers like robots and to assume that the customer is always WRONG.

When did it become this way? Why has it become this way? I remember when you could call a company when there was a mistake and that company would actually FEEL BAD and would try their hardest to correct the problem... not to mention try and make you feel like they actually cared about you.

Humanity is lost when it comes to... money.

• Hb
    HBAK22 Nov 01, 2010

Wow. I can't believe how crappy this company is... here is my story :(

I ordered my proactiv in mid-june of this year, tried it out, it made my skin waaay worse, so I talked to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back (after trying to convince me to keep it for a few more weeks, and that way I wouldn't be able to send it back. Coincidence? I think not). So I sent it back mid July (WELL under the 60 day money back guarantee), and was told not to contact them before about a month and a half as that is how long it would take for them to process the return. Well 2 months goes by, I email to find out where my refund is, and they claim they never received it at their warehouse, so it was "too late" for me to return my product (that I obviously didn't even have since I RETURNED it). So of course I am really ticked off that I wasted $10 shipping it back, and never got my money. Well just the other day I came across my receipt from sending it back. It even had the postal code of the place in Mississauga where returns are sent. So I tracked the package online and it turns out they DID receive the package on July 28. And a D. McLean even SIGNED for it!!! So they LIED about receiving the package, so I emailed them and attached the receipt and the delivery notice from canadapost.com, evidence that should definitely prove that I sent it back. And they STILL refuse to refund me!! Bunch of friggin crooks!!!

• Je
    Jennys9040 Aug 24, 2013

The plastic thy use on the bottles is substandard. It tips over and the cap breaks off. This does not happen with any other bottles I use ever. If you're oing to charge as much as ou do, please make what you bottle your products in better.

• Je
    Jennys9040 Aug 24, 2013

The plastic they use on the bottles is substandard. It tips over and the cap breaks off. This does not happen with any other bottles I use ever. If you're going to charge as much as you do, please make what you bottle your products in better.

damaged my face

I used proactive about like 4 months ago.. the first couple weeks were normal but then my face started breaking out pigmentations and wierd cycsts..i want to do something about this..i have been like this for 3 months already and it's leaving me real bad scars bigger than a dime size!.. I want to sue proactive solution because i have been waisting alot of money going to like 3 different dermatolgist and even hospitol. i can provide pictures for proof of damage. I just don't know how or where to start.

theft

Please do not order from these guys. I got my first order for $29. Then they proceeded to charge me $78 without my permission for a 90 day supply. They charge your account without your permission, they are a scam. ProActiv worked at the beginning for me and then it just dried out my skin really bad and made me break out even worse. I cannot believe their customer service. I asked for a reference number or cancellation confirmation e-mail from them and they wouldn't even do that for me. The customer service agent I talked to even gave me a fake name; his English was horrible and said his name was Bryan Smith (yeah right). Horrible Horrible service, and it is theft.

ProactivHelp Sep 22, 2010

Bijou88,
    I'm so sorry for the experience you've had. Proactiv is based on a continuity program and I'm sorry that wasn't more clearly explained to you. I understand it's been a few months, but have you since been able to resolve your issue? If not, I'd really like to help you here. Can you send an email to [email protected] and put in your subject line "Complaintsboard.com Issue" -- if you include your name, address and account number we'll be able to help resolve this even quicker. Again, so sorry for the experience you had!!!
    -Kathryn (Proactiv USA)

nottootickledpink Jan 05, 2011

Okay well first off most Acne fighting products good ones anyway always make you break oyut first..Its call purging of the skin. That is very normal. It pulls of the gunk in your skin to the surface, go ask any Esthetican about this and they will tell you this. This is one of the reasons they dont do facials before big events.. Secondly you mean to really honestly believe theres no POSSIABLE way someone has the name Smith as a last name... I am sorry but last I heard that was an extreamly popular last name .. Also if you read the things you agree too when ordering online or listen to them you do sign up for a coniuning order...

• In
    Informant619 Feb 09, 2011

Proactiv isn't theft. You just didn't understand the terms and I don't know why you would even sign up or give someone your credit card info without even asking what will happen. Either if you ordered online, there are boxes you check, which you should read by the way or by phone they confirm with you and tell you how it works out. Plus, acne isn't curable so it defeats the purpose of it all if you just "try it out" then quit. If that's how you work with things, you will never have clear skin. Proactiv is actually a lot cheaper than individually priced items at the store. If you don't want it that often, change your shipping frequency up to twice a year that way you don't have to pay for it all the time, or customize your kit to what you know you'll always have a need for, or put a hold on your account if you wanna try it out because you never know, it might just work. KNOW what you're getting into before you give your lifeline away. All PA is trying to do is help, you have control over the account, so utilize that power.

Plus, who knows about "Bryan, " maybe if people don't ASSUME things and actually be able to work with and not so rude then they'd be more willing to help. They are people too and if you make their job hell when really you're the one that signed up then they will probably not be so helpful to your situation. Think about it people, would you like someone yelling at you and them expecting you to make everything fine and dandy when they know right off the bat they aren't appreciated?

bad business practices

This company billed my credit card account twice in Feb, 3 times in March for one product shipment each month. I have numerous e-mails to customer service each with replies stating their policy for shipments. I have sent credit card statement showing amts taken out incorrectly. Now am receiving bill stating I owe more money when my acct ended March 25th. This company deducts from credit cards with no accounting. They do not take any complaints seriously nor do they try to fix any billing errors. In my opinion I would advise anyone intersted in this product to not buy any products from this company.

marimari May 23, 2010

I would suggest you to make a complaint with bbb, i did it and they helped me :)

scam will not refund money

This company will continue to charge your card after you cancel. They will not refund your money when you send back the product. The customer service is the rudest company I have ever dealt with. This was a very costly mistake. I have had to go through so much with my bank to get the debits from them to stop. Unless you have countless hours to spend dealing with this problem do not buy.

• Hb
    HBAK22 Nov 01, 2010

I could not agree with you more!! I ordered my proactiv (from Guthy-Renker or whatever) in mid-june of this year, tried it out, it made my skin waaay worse, so I talked to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back. So I sent it back mid July (WELL under the 60 day money back guarantee), and was told not to contact them before about a month and a half as that is how long it would take for them to process the return. Well 2 months goes by, I email to find out where my refund is, and they claim they never received it at their warehouse, so it was "too late" for me to return my product (that I obviously didn't even have since I RETURNED it). So of course I am really ticked off that I wasted $10 shipping it back, and never got my money. Well just the other day I came across my receipt from sending it back. It even had the postal code of the place in Mississauga where returns are sent. So I tracked the package online and it turns out they DID receive the package on July 28. And a D. McLean even SIGNED for it!!! So they LIED about receiving the package, so I emailed them and attached the receipt and the delivery notice from canadapost.com, evidence that should definitely prove that I sent it back. And they STILL refuse to refund me!! Bunch of friggin crooks is right!!!

premature agin/skin cancer

I would like to inform all Proactive Users that Proactive contains benzoyl peroxide, which creates free radicals, and therefore causes premature aging and skin cancer. By using daily benxoyl peroxide, I would say I have aged prematurely of 10 to 15 years. As a result, I need now to recourse to plastic surgery and I am not mentioning the emotional distress and the financial cost. Proactive is simply a scam. It does get rid of acne but at the price of our youth, beauty and health.

• Mi
    michell623j Nov 30, 2010

I agree kariemmanuelle. I used Proavtive and now I also have to go see a plastic surgeon because I have skin cancer on my nose.

• Sr
    srangel719 Mar 16, 2011

I've only been using proactive for 4 days, just before I go to bed. I hate looking in the mirror now because I'm 22, and I have wrinkles around my eyes that literally appeared overnight! My eyes look like a 50 year old! I sure hope this goes away:( I can't believe that proactive has made it as far as it has... I would never recommend this product to anyone. Premature aging is truly devastating...

• Ho
    HOLE SNIPE Feb 12, 2013

This outfit charged me before when I did not order any of their product. I am 65 years old. I don't do beauty products. I contacted them and they said they would close the account. Well, I never had an account. They said they would not do this again. I filed fraud charges with my bank. The charges were removed. I considered th matter resolved.
    Now, they have done it again. They have taken the last money from my account without authorization. I am filing charges with the roswell police department, the better business bureau abd the sun trust fraud department! This time i'm going to sue them!

• Me
    melanielittle28 Apr 04, 2013

This company has debited my account twice for product I have never received after the first order I paid for initially and received. I paid extra for "rush shipping" that took a week. I asked to cancel membership, they did not. While they stopped sending product tjey sure are charging me for it! Bad business in my opinion!

• Lg
    lgn98683 Oct 18, 2013

This company does not care about any customer service, We called them 4 months ago and closed the account, closed the bank account due to moving out of the area, Proactive sent product that was refused and sent back, they somehow pulled the money out of the closed bank account. Do not do any business with this scammer business, they don't care about anything except the money.

unsolicited shipment

For years now I had seen advertisements for Proactiv so I decided to try it. I went on line and ordered one month. There was a box I could check to use my debit card for subsequent shipments but I did not check the box because I only wanted try the product. I am currently unemployed and money is very much in short supply so imagine my distress when three weeks later I was charged $40.00 the beginning of 3 monthly charges for a 3 month supply. When I called the company they told me that I had agreed to receive this shipment and have it charged to my debit card. I of course told the woman I had not agreed to this. She told me to return the product when I received it and I would receive a credit. So now, I am unable to pay my electric bill because basically Proactiv has stolen $40 from me. I can only imagine how long it will take to get my credit from them based on all the other complaints I have seen on the internet. By the way, the product is bogus. I see no change in my skin so it is nothing less than a scam-do not buy from these people they are not honest and you will not only be very disappointed but will most likely be ripped off!

• Le
    Let's complain! Apr 04, 2011

Complain T0 Proactive
    More customers should put complain about their business in order to shut it down. They make seem that we are getting a deal to receive the product for $19.95 with 2 free gifts without shipping or handling. But they are size of trial package. They also will send you the full size of product and bill you without your permission after 30 days. If you complain to the customer service, they will tell you that you can cancell the future order and send the package back to them, but you will have to pay for the shipping and handling. Why can this type of company stay in business by ripping off the customers? Is it an American way to get rich?

• Mi
    MinM May 18, 2011

These douches did exact same thing however we did not get a package ...

unable to return

I cancelled my account, but continued to receive products. Upon receiving I would refuse and return to sender. The last shipment that have, but since it was not returned within what they claim was 60 days than I still have the balance to pay. So I have to pay and than they will submit my product back to me, "to sell or give as a gift" per customer service.

ProductReviews Jan 01, 2010

You should call Guthy-Renker, the owner of Proactiv at 1-800-274-4910 and dial 0 (zero) for consumer affairs.

worst product

i Have bought proactive products through net.and i used that products 25 days before buy these products i saw an advertisment on tv i saw they sell this products with guarantee if consumer would not satisfied with their products then they can return the products and take the refund so i m not satisfied with the products and want to return the products so kindly help me out of this and tell me about this process
thanx
Amita Makker
[protected]@iciciprupartner.com
C-6, C-7 ist floor
patel garden, dwarka mod
new delhi 110078

fraudulent credit card charge

I was charged twice for the same shipment. They claimed that since I cancelled the autoship (which they asured me I could do after the first order), the original shipment was supposed to have cost twice of the advertised charge. This was never at any time disclosed to me when I made my order. How can a company claim for more than the advertised cost? In other words, they defrauded me.

ProductReviews Jan 02, 2010

(760) 773-9022 ask for Customer Relations
    (800) 274-4910 ext#5001 for Customer Relations
    www.guthy-renker.com

rip off

I purchased a trial size proactive kit for my Son in December of 2008 Well, they never told me that they would charge my debit card $50.00 every month after that. I canceled in January 2009 and told them I didn't want the product anymore, It took six weeks to get a credit to my account. Well, six months later I get another package from proactive, this time I get overdrawn on my account $30.00 plus the $50.00 for the product. Apparently instead of canceling my account they put it on hold for six months then started re-sending their product. I came unglued. When I called again they said they would credit my account in another six weeks but they wouldn't do anything about the overdraft fee.

They never tell you about the nice monthly fee or that when you cancel they may decide to put you on hold and start sending again whenever they choose. This is not only deceptive but downright Illegal in my opinion. People need to know that if they order something from proactive they are signing up for a monthly RIP-OFF!!

• Sh
    shan0123 Mar 26, 2010

ha they did the same thing to me! 3 kits which I sent all 3 of them back. They sent me to collections on them too. They gave me credit for one so they get 2 free kits and im out almost $200.00. How is that fair? Also I bought Procraptive from a keeoks thing in the mall. The girl charged me twice. They wouldnt refund that either. Funny thing I called the next day and told them. They said "no sorry we cant give you the money". What the heck would I need 2 starter kits for purchased with in 30 sec of each other? And the girl didnt give me my reciept either!
    So PROCRAPTIVE is a rip off no matter where you buy it!

• Lc
    lckkam Apr 14, 2010

I as well as many others was misled into purchasing this product on-line thinking I was purchaasing a one time trial package. Then I began having money deducted on a monthly basis from my paypal account. I called and complained and recieved nothing but poor customer service. I feel that I was misled and then basically told to deal with it. The hoops and circles I would have to go through to get refunded was ridiculous and not worth my time. A more satisfying approach I feel is to spread the word to other consumers on how bad there service is.

• Gr
    G-R Customer Service Apr 23, 2010

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We're sorry you had this frustrating experience. From your post, it sounds like your issue has been resolved, but if there's anything at all that is still unresolved, please email our corporate customer service team at [email protected] so they can make a special effort to look into your account and call logs and identify how we could have served you better. If you include a link to this post as well as your name and zip code (ATTN: RENEE), they'll be able to find your account records and contact you directly with a solution.

Again, we're sorry you experienced this and appreciate the feedback.

Corrie (Proactiv - USA)

chris2119 Jun 04, 2011

Got me too! Good thing I check my bank account often! They never state that it is a membership and will keep shipping AND billing you forever! If I see one more charge on my bank statement, I file a lawsuit against these theives!

• Po
    PO'ed in Wyoming Sep 21, 2011

I am having the exact same experience. I specifically purchased a trial pack with no obligation to continue. Now another $30.00 debit just came out of my account, and when I called to cancel, they told me that I still owe $67.00. These people are no better than a junkie who would snatch an old lady's purse. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BANKING OR CREDIT CARD INFO!!!

• Fa
    Faaak U Oct 25, 2012

Folks, under threat of legal action pursuant to the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, it is amazing what can be done. All of a sudden those who stated that they couldn't refund anything without the product being sent back, 60-day refund policy, etc., was BS. They IMMEDIATELY refunded the money to my credit card AND repaid the shipping expense. It should not have to come to threatening legal action, but if you know what you are doing, you can stop companies like this in their tracks. They are large corporations who would have to spend $300 an hour for an attorney to defend a small claims court filing of $100 - $200. Educate yourself about the law and your legal rights...it goes a long ways towards ending these deceoptive practices.