Privacy Matters 123Cancellation of Membership

J

On April 9, 2008, I requested cancellation of my account and the
trial membership. Subsequently I have been charged monthly
for the membership in the amount of $19.95 plus $1.oo . I now
am requesting not only cancellation of my membership but a re-
fund of money charged me since April 9th. I figure this amounts
to a total of $62.85.

James Buchin

• Su
    Susan B. Lewis Jul 16, 2008

I didn' receive a welcome email as advertised with instructions on how to access the members only benefits. and there was no phone number given to call and discuss this or cancel this account.

• Lo
    Lorraine Wheeler Aug 30, 2008

I am on disability and a very low fixed income, I wanted to know my credit report so I signed up and thought for $1. I would get other info. Well I got an overdraft charge to my checking account for $64.85 for all kinds of things that was supposed to be a one time $1...I am in a panic now as what to do. I emailed them (Privacy Matters 123) and they did reply to say thanks and it would take 1-2 business days to cancel, no mention of sending any money back or any credit, nothing!! It's the first time in my life I've felt like I"ve been scammed...

Lorraine Wheeler
    Prospect, CT

• Li
    Linda Carr Sep 25, 2008

I wish to cancell my membership, don't know membership # Have not been able to use internet since April. Provider didn't pay his bills. Will expect a refund of $62.85 soon. Could use money to help pay for husbands funeral expenses. Will be in contact with my bank to cancel any new charges from you! Sincerely Linda Carr

• Ta
    TAMMY Oct 02, 2008

I HAVE JUST ENDED MY SO MEMBERSHIP WITH PRIVACY MATTERS 123. THEY CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD NOT ONCE, BUT 8 TIMES ON SEPTEMBER 23. FOR WHAT, I DO NOT KNOW.
    NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE CANCELLED MY CREDIT CARD ALSO. THEY CHARGED ME 3 TIMES FOR $29.95 AND THEN 5 TIMES FOR $1. I KNOW THE ONE IS NOT ALOT, BUT WHEN THEY CAUSE YOUR CARD TO GO OVER THE LIMIT IT IS ALOT BELIEVE ME. SO PLEASE ANYONE OUT THERE DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR CREDIT CARD OR YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER. AND BE ADVISED WHEN YOU CANCEL, IF YOU STILL OWE THEM ANYTHING THEY WILL TRY TO GET YOU TO GIVE THEM YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER. I TOLD THAT GIRL SHE WAS NUTS. WELL GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU THAT GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS MESS TO. I AM NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET, IT JUST STARTED TODAY. OCTOBER 1, 20008. TAMMY T.

Mark Oct 13, 2008

This just happened to me...I never gave them (Privacy Matters 123) my Credit Card information and they charged me anyway. I never signed up for, nor even ever heard of this company. They charged me $39.90 for nothing. WOW I did not know companies can access your banking information without your approval...I am going to check my bank statements more carefully.

• St
    Steven Miller Oct 13, 2008

I want my membership cancelled as soon as possible thank u

Marcia Tolgen Oct 25, 2008

I just received my letter from Privacy Matters 123 and I can't get on to check my credit score. What good is the letter if you can't get the information you paid for...

Marcia Tolgen

• Ka
    Kay Duncan Oct 27, 2008

I am unemployed and have been since March of this year. I wanted to review my credit report so I signed up for $1.00. I got two subsequent $1.00 charges to my bank account that seemed to come monthly and I did get update messages. I was OK with everything UNTIL NOW.

On October 20, 2008 I was charged $29.95 plus $1.00; then again on October 21 I was charged $29.95 plus $1.00. This resulted in 2 overdraft charges of $36.00 each day.

I want my membership cancelled and expect a return to my account of $123.90 for fees that were neither expected, explained, or authorized. I feel that your methods are unethical and deceptive.

By the way, another good move, you left off the last digit of our phone number on the notice to the bank, so I couldn't call back directly...but noticed from other messages that calling doesn't work either. CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP and DON'T FORGET THE REIMBURSEMENT.

jorge ramirez Nov 11, 2008

I never see my repor they steelig your money, I whish i'll get my money back (*v*)

• Ku
    Kurt Dec 03, 2008

This is by far one of the most unethical companies ever to exist.

Do not in any way shape or form get involved with them. I personally would avoid any affiliated sites or sites that allow them advertise on their. That includes Reunion.com and Monster.com. I never signed up for the service, they simply ENLISTED me in it and told me my card would get charged if I didn't cancel. Cancellation is a pain in the butt too. I'm hoping I was able to catch it in time before these jerks charge for something I wouldn't let THEM pay me to give me! With businesses like them allowed to operate, your credit scores are the least of your worries!

These guys are criminals and whomever in their organization authorized their business practices should be serving time!
    Avoid them at all costs, other wise the cost will be EXTREME!

• Be
    Bernard Duplessis Feb 09, 2009

I Bernard Duplessis request cancellation of membership as of 2/9/09 . My membership number is 1d252901382; my mailing address is 32 moss drive dtafford virginia;22556.
    Bernard Duplessis

• Un
    Unhappy Feb 14, 2009

I tried to cancel privacy matters 123 and they referred me to People finder but they referred me back to 123. I'm getting pissed. Have you ever wanted to just reach through the computer screen and choke someone? They wouldn't even let me finish what I was saying before they were rattling off their ID number and wishing me a good day. If I have to close my checking account and reopen I'm going to speak to an attorney. I'm on Medicare and they automatically take out my premiums every month so closing and opening a new account would be very complicated. Working with Social Security is almost as bad as these people. I'm also going to check with the online complaint site called "planetfeedback.com" they are very helpful. I've used them before against Lowe's and I won.

• Ro
    Roy Bennie Feb 25, 2009

I pressed button for free credit report. It then said for 1.00 dollar you could get you credit report and scores. It s very tricky they do not tell you in till after you give them you account number and say it is ok to take one dollar from you account that it is a monthly with draw. I canceled it right than and there. I then went to my bank on line and there was two withdraws pending for one dollar, I went back to the site and tried to log on they said the account was closed. Then two days later the withdraws were gone. I though good it`s ok. But one week later on Feb 24 two withdraws for one dollar are there again. Now on Feb 25 to more pending withdraws show up for 29.95 each. Please help I do not have that much money. I cant`t pay my bills with that money gone. Thank you Roy Bennie

• El
    elsa gomez Mar 09, 2009

Please cancel this acct. I never authorized this and I can get my own credit report without paying $19.95 for membership if that's what it's for. If it is not taken off my account I am contacting the better business bureau and The SHAME ON YOU PROGRAM. THE SUPPOSED ACCT # is [protected]

• Pa
    Pam Mar 10, 2009

Privacy Matters 123 is a complete ripoff. They somehow obtain your personal account information and then begin debiting your account without your consent. How can this happen and why are they still around. I have filed a complaint with the Internet Fraud Center and with the FTC. Hope this helps. In the mean time, I will file fradulent charges with my bank.

• Vi
    Victim May 19, 2009

Yeah, I'm the victim of fraud. There's this unauthorized transaction called privacymatters123 and I never authorized it nor do I know how to cancel it. Theft! $29.95 plus $1.00 / month for several months.

• Jw
    jwbrowninvestigations May 24, 2009

We are conducting an Investigation in regards to the business practices and fraudulant charges allegations against this company.

If you have recieved any fraudulant or unauthorized charges to your bank account from this company, please contact our Firm at http://www.jwbrowninvestigations.com

We would like to obtain a your statement of the dates and amounts, and am compiling these to present to each respective state's Attorney General's Office.

We are not asking for any bank account numbers or credit card numbers. We just need to know who you are, the circumstances surrounding the event, and who you bank with.

Our website provides our license information, which can be verified through the Kansas Bureau of Investigation PI Verification website.

Email us at: [protected]@jwbrowninvestigations.com

Sincerely
    JW Brown Investigations
    www.jwbrowninvestigations.com

• Ei
    Eileene Hildebrandt Jun 28, 2009

I just tried to get my free credit score from privacy matters, and immediately after giving my credit card info., I was transfered to another site welcoming me to a membership with another (unrequested) company I've never heard of and certainly didn't ask for, complete with a membership #. I was kicked to this second site before I could access the free credit report, so now they have my credit card # - & from what I'm reading from other people, are capable and most likely WILL, use the card to charge me for things I don't want or need. I tried to call the 888# to cancel the Priv. Matters 1 2 3 membership, but they aren't open for cancellations till tomorrow ( funny, they're open enough to get your billing info & assign you a member # !!) .That second screen that gave me a member # for "God-knows-what" other service (THIS ONE ABSOLUTELY NOT REQUESTED OR AUTHORIZED) worries me as well, because I don't know what they'll do with my credit card either. HELP!!! Eileene K. Hildebrandt

• Wm
    wmartinez Jul 03, 2009

my grandfather had an account with them and cancelled 3 to 5 months ago and they some how got my debit card number and keep charging me 1st time 1 dollar second time 14.95 they have his name my number and wont give me or him any information

• Tm
    TMCPEAK Jul 05, 2009

I have just been billed $29.95 for a service I did not ask for. I have never even heared of privacy matters until it was too late. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

• Sc
    scart22 Sep 03, 2009

My husband got on this site for privacy matters 123 and thought it was free, however when thay asked him for a credit card # so that they could give him his information that was all they needed and I have been fighting this now for about 3 months. I have sent several messages to them about the charges they keep charging and have a cancellation number but can never get to talk to a real person. I am glad to have found this sight and now know this is thier practice and hope that someone can do something to stop this. So far I have only been charged probably less than $100.00 but don't know where its going to stop.

janice1956 Sep 15, 2009

Somehow or another Privacy123 got my info and started charging my account 19.95. I called and cancelled it on Sept. 2 2009 and needless to say there was a charge of 19.95 debited from my account. I then callled and they told me they had no record of the cancellation. They did say they would credit my account back We'll see.

• Ta
    Tammy Creg Oct 02, 2009

I never agreed to any money to be taken out of my bank. I cancel and NO MORE money to be taken out of MY bank using MY debit card due to i only went to that link to check it out and never did enter MY debit card number. I want every bit of my MONEY BACK!!!
    Tammy c.

Angry with websight... Oct 05, 2009

I just signed up for my "free credit report" and never once saw my credit report. I had to call and speak to someone who obviously could hardly speak engish...We live in Americal right? She told me that I had to go back to the sight and sign on within 5 minutes. I did and it told me that there was a problem with it. I better not get charged for something I didn't even get a chance to look at... I will be contacting a lawyer if it happens. Just wish I had looked at the blogs before I signed up.

NoPrivacyHere Oct 05, 2009

That just happened to me. Over the weekend a $29.95 charge showed up on my pending transactions. I called the company and they are supposedly going to refund my money, we'll see.

The customer service reps at that place are horribly rude, just before the rep was about to HANG UP on my while I was still talking (she said thanks, have a great day - in the middle of my sentence). I immediatly requested a supervisor. Well, she was no help either so I asked for her supervisor' and here is her response:
    "My supervisor is at another location". So I said let me have that number, she said "I can give you the address and you can write them a letter". I said no, I want to call them. She said "They have no phones" and hung up on me!!!

• Gt
    Gtaylor Oct 13, 2009

Same story as everyone else.. Somehow Privacy123 got my info and started charging my account 19.95...I NEVER gave them my card number..
    I called and had to give them my number for them to find my "account"..
    they gave me a cancellation number..and followed up w/ an email confirming the cancellation.. but I'm still concerned... I contacted my bank about the fraudulant charges.

GT

• Ge
    george adams Nov 12, 2009

they keep committing fraud

• Jj
    jj-08 Dec 01, 2009

I also cancelled and been charged twice.

• Tr
    Tracy Lamson Dec 14, 2009

Very misleading phone call leads to unaccepted membership fees bring taken from my account.

• Mr
    MRSMALDOANDO Jan 08, 2010

SOME HOW PRIVACYMATTERS 123 GOT THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF MY CREDIT CARD AND MY DATE OF BIRTH ALONG WITH MY ADDRESS AND WHEN I ASKED THEM HOW THE GOT MY INFO THEY SAID THAT I PURCHASED SOMETHING. I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING TO BE CHARGEDTO MY CREDIT CARD AND THEY DID. THEY CHARGED THE CARD FOR $1.00 AND THEN $19.95. AND AN INTERNATIONAL FEE OF $0.75. THAT WAS FROM THE BANK BECAUSE THE COMPANY THAT WITHDREW WAS INTERNATIONAL.. I CALLED TO GET MY MONEY BACK.. I THINK THIS COMPANY IS A FRUADULANT CO. TRYING TO COME UP ON PEOPLE'S MONEY.. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN.

• Co
    Conjo1963 Jan 26, 2010

Same problem here...my charge has been $29.95 for the past 6 months. I called and cancelled and then had CC company dispute all charges. I'd love to know how they started that charge and how they can get by with what they are doing. This company needs to be stopped.

• Gw
    gwen davis Feb 08, 2010

Ihave been billed to view report online but everytime I go to their site they ask the same infomation to bill card again

• On
    oneangryexpert Feb 09, 2010

I called to cancel and get a refund in December. They refunded 1 charge, and then charged me again. Now 2 months later I noticed they charged me a 3rd time. I called in and said their system is down and they cant do anything tonight.

So tomorrow i will call and try to get the cancellation and refunds through them.
    Then I am contacting their parent organization, Adaptive Marketing, to file a compliant
    Then I am contacting the 3 Credit Agencies to complain and hopefully cut them off at the source.
    Then I am opening a BBB claim in the state of their HQ, which is CONN. This should result in my getting my $75 back a 2nd time, so I end up making $75 off them
    Then Im calling my credit card, VISA, to demand the charges be put back (as a merchant they will get charge backs from VISA, extra penalalties, merchants hate that..they will hate these extra VISA chargs.
    Then I will put a BLOCK on them via my VISA so they can never charge my account again
    Then I will also report them to www.fraud.org

I am an expert in Credit Card Security and Identify Theft and so it is my pleasure to resolve this situation, but I am making this a personal matter due to their rude behavior and will do my best to actually get them put out of business, or at the very least ensure an investigation into their business practices by the DOJ for Credit Card Fraud.

In this cases, obviously people just want their money back and for the charges to stop, but I would highly recommend anyone having problems with them also follow the above steps I have outlined...its alot of phone calls, but dont let it stress you out, just call and calmly follow all these steps. It might be best to have a friend do this for you, since they wont be as emotionally involved and can more easily complete all the above listed steps.

Good luck!

• Rl
    RLW1956 Mar 10, 2010

I want to be the newest victim (non-member-member) to lodge a complaint against this so called company. My complaint is basically the exact same scam that many of you have described. My wife and I thought that this was a free service for a short period like many legitimate services offer, but this scamming company has gone far beyond "FREE TRIAL PERIOD" and then makes it virtually impossible to contact them much less cancel what I never intended to order in the first place! Somehow they operate in a manner that is most certainly fraud. I intend to pursue this further as they used private information that I never gave them for their continuing financial gain. Privacy Does Matter and they have most certainly stepped on the wrong toes to criminally invade my "PRIVACY". It sounds as though many of you have had similar experience with this "scummy" company and also could pursue this in a way as to PERMANENTLY put them officially OUT OF BUSINESS. Go for it as we are and don't stop until you get results!!!RLW1956

• Se
    seanweiss Mar 29, 2010

I got charged without ever signing up, but I caught it when checking my statements online. The statement should give you a phone number to call. The number I got was [protected]. Just give them a call and ask for the cancellation and ALSO ask for a refund. It seems they will only refund if you ask, so make sure you ask! Good luck!

p.s. What the hell is privacymatters123?!?!

• Gr
    Gremaw5 May 13, 2010

I was checking my bank account to my surprise I find 3 separate charges from Privacy Matters and their other so called companies. I don't even know how I got roped into such a thing. My bank account has been charged $16.95 three TIMES! I am royally pissed off! Why do we as consumers put up with internet companies who fraudulently continue to scam people?? I want this company shut down! We ALL need to contact our Consumer Affairs Depart. in our states. If we sit back and do nothing this kind of fraud will continue. I had best get my money refunded, I told this woman off and told her I wanted my account closed and to give me back MY MONEY!
    Valerie Banta

• Al
    AlphaO Jun 07, 2010

This happened to me...I am being charged because my husband thought he was getting a free check...when he saw it was not free, he backed out. HOWEVER...I got charged 29.95 for many months for something neither of us signed up for!! How did they get my account number????? I passed this information onto FACEBOOK and so should YOU!!...I canceled, now lets see if they charge me anyway next month. My charge co. said to send them a complaint if they do and they will do something about it!!!

Angry and Broke CT Jun 16, 2010

You will be held accountable for ALL of these fraudulant cahrges to us all. Investigations have been set in motion and I am conacting my attourney and the state and federal goverment. This is not an up-standing business by ANY standards! I'm a single, unemployed mother and you have cost me aout $500 in overdraft fees and reinstatement fees for my vehicle insurance. I will also need to pay DMV fines for losing insurance because you took so much from my account. That won't happen again, my accounts have ALL been closed and I DARE you to send me a bill so I can track you down faster. P.S. Karma doesn't tickle, nor do class action law suits.

• Mv
    MVPStars Jul 06, 2010

Privacy Matters 123 is a SCAM!! They keep billing you each month after their trial period is over!!
    WARNING:: NEVER USE THEM!!!

• Le
    lexicon5 Jul 24, 2010

Contact you states attorney general office and file a complaint. I called PM123 and only received a one month refund. I then contacted my AG and they sent an inquiry to PM123 and I just received confirmation that all of my money has been refunded. This company need to be stopped... "This email confirms that a refund/credit of $119.70 was processed for your Privacy Matters 123 membership. "

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices