Privacy Matters 123Cancellation of Membership

J

On April 9, 2008, I requested cancellation of my account and the
trial membership. Subsequently I have been charged monthly
for the membership in the amount of $19.95 plus $1.oo . I now
am requesting not only cancellation of my membership but a re-
fund of money charged me since April 9th. I figure this amounts
to a total of $62.85.

James Buchin

• Ka
    Karen Eastwick Aug 17, 2016

I tried to cancel a recurring monthly fee which I apparently was not aware of when I visited the website to see about obtaining a free credit report. I found a debit transaction on my banking report and alerted the bank of an authorized purchase. However, I do not know the correct name of the company other than the information that appeared on the banking report which was MNI*CREDITRPT MNTR. I would like to get a refund and cancel the monthly fee but was unable to do so on their website. Thank you.

• Dr
    drrezzin Aug 17, 2016

For the past 2 months, Privacy Matters 123 has taken $19.95 out of my checking account without my authorization!
    I called back in Jan. 2010 to complain and I was promised a refund, but one was not issued. Again, this month (Feb. 2010) a second withdraw was made. I called again. This time, the so-called manager told me, that no record even existed that I had called in January! I was given a confirmation number and I have 2 names of who I spoke with.

I then called my bank, Wachovia, who proceeded to tell me that I cannot get a refund! The only way they can help, is if another payment comes out in March. I can then call my bank, give them the confirmation number, then they can take action! Stay away from Privacy Matters 123!!!

• Me
    Melissa Webber Aug 16, 2016

I cancelled all services on 9 / 8 / 09 and today they charged my account.

• Me
    melmark98 Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone know the current status of this company? I just discovered them on 8/13/2012 when I got my cc# stolen while on vacation to Mexico. We had to close our credit card account and open a new one. I wanted to make sure all the monthly charges were being transferred to the new credit card number. I found the charge to privacy matters 123 for $37. I immediately called the customer service number and asked "who are you and why are you billing me?" He very cheerfully said "You signed up for our service in Dec 2008!" I asked how that was possible since I've never heard of them and he said, "You signed up for a people finders search and then when you checked out, you requested a 7-day free trial of our service, followed by monthly billings after that!" Sure enough I looked at my statement and I saw one charge for $3.90 to People finders for a one time search on 12/21/08 and 7 days later started the monthly billings of $19.99 to two different programs, "privacy matters 123" and "home savings mall" for equal charges every month. And the charges go up once a year also, which is why now they are taking $37 instead of $19.99. Between the two programs, they have billed our credit card $1900!!!
    I know I should have looked closer at the cc statement, but I usually don't even notice charges that small, since I'm looking for things that are over $100 and my husband and I usually make quite a few charges. I had no idea that something so small could add up to something so big. So I told the sales rep that I wanted to get back my money and they took $1900 without my knowledge or consent. The sales rep offered to reverse one month of charges, which was $37. They offered to escalate my case and then sent me an email stating they are generously refunding my $103 of the $1900 that was stolen from me. I talked to my chase credit card company and they said they could only dispute charges back three months. They said they wish they could do more for me.
    - So I appreciate the comments on this website and advice for getting some of the money back. I think I will next go to the BBB and file a complaint there. And also the parent organization, Adaptive Marketing to file a complaint. And if I don't get my full refund, then I will contact the AG as mentioned above. Any other advice for me to get me money back is appreciated! I can't believe that I made a $3.90 charge to people finders and it snowballed into a $1900 mistake! I feel sick about it! Thanks for any further comments that might help me!

• Re
    Rebekahc Feb 12, 2012

I just found a charge of $19.95 from a Privacy Matters company that I have never heard of. Looked back and I've been getting charged monthly since February! I have never heard of this company or authorized that they charge my account. Is there any action that can be taken??

• Do
    doris turissini Aug 23, 2011

my complaint is that I WANT TO CANCEL ... aug 23 made mistake and requested free credit report ... i WANT to CANCELmmediately... do you understand

DO NOT WANT TO BE A MEMBER ANYMORE

Do NOT WANT TO BE A MEMBER ANYMORE

maureen e schmeltz Jul 26, 2011

DO NOT want to be a member anymore

maureen e schmeltz Jul 26, 2011

do not want to be a member antmore

• Ho
    HOWCOULD May 16, 2011

OMG! run, they are the worst company i ever dealt with. Yeah, it's only $19.99 but its just the principle on how they take your money. Weekend included in the 7 days but they are closed during weekend. They are RIP OFF! I haven't even viewed my report, I WANT MY DANG MONEY BACK! I will hunt them down to my last sweat...

• Vi
    Vickie Baker Apr 22, 2011

I agreed to pay $1.00 from my debit card to get my free credit score you did not even give me that CANCEL this NOW and do not touch my account. I have contacted my bank about you! Privacy Matters123 you ARE A SCAM!!! and a theif

• Vi
    Vickie Baker Apr 22, 2011

This site is a scam!!!

• Eq
    equalizer3 Mar 21, 2011

Unauthorized charges on my debit card. I DO NOT know how they got it. Possible phishing/ virus.

• Ab
    Abbie White Feb 26, 2011

Please cancel my membership. This has been a waste of money

sandrasss3 Feb 04, 2011

It is 2011 and PrivacyMatters 123 is still raking in the money from unsuspecting people. We started getting charged on our credit card account for $16.95 a month out-of-nowhere. They claimed we clicked on a banner that allowed them to start charging us. I called our credit card company who called PrivacyMatters 123 ands they got a person named "Ever" on the line. with us. I asked what we were supposed to have gotten for such a sum of money and he could not even tell me what we get for their outlandish fees! In addition, they only gave us one month back of their fees. I told the fraud dept of our credit card comp. that this was a highly unethical company with questionable business practices.

• Su
    Suzie G Nov 08, 2010

My 14 year old son ordered from a TV Commercial, received the product he ordered along with additional monthly subscriptions at $19.95 per month from Privacy Matters 123, an identity theft company. What a joke. They are the one's who are stealing money from a debit account!
    They called shortly after his product was ordered, never confirmed his age, and coerced him to sign up for their service.
    I had to threaten them to have the service terminated and have all monies refunded. They said they would return all funds except the $1.00 account set up charge, that was definitely not refundable. Are these people for real. They are an IDENTITY THEFT company????!!!??? I am awaiting the refund that somehow takes 3 to 5 business days. How is it they took our money in a matter of minutes?

Jaisun Oct 20, 2010

Initially I was interested in their services to track down the identity of a caller. After signing up and realizing there were strings attached, I called to cancel. My cancellation was confirmed by the lady on the phone, however, I've been charged for the last 4 months! I called today and their employee said they were never notified of my cancellation. This is a complete scam...they make their money by continuing to charge people who have already cancelled.

• Ca
    carolyn austin Oct 06, 2010

I am requesting the cancell of my accout. I have never use this account and I am being charged for something that is of no use to me. When I tried to use thi account, Inever got my credit score. S cancell please. carolyn austin

• Ub
    ubATTLE Aug 19, 2010

i will never trust this company again they to you, i never seen a credit report, they say it free and a 7 day trial they take the money before the date now takem 63.59 from my account i need a law to get my money back its a scam please dont used this fake [censor] privcy matter 123 them will take your money ineed my money

• Le
    lexicon5 Aug 05, 2010

Trust me, if enough States Attorney Generals get complaints, they can all go after them at the same time. The problem is, PM123 sends letter to the AG stating I agreed to this and I KNOW it's BS. I've been a computer engineer longer than the internet has been around and I KNOW the scams people pull. I looked again at the Classmates site and se NO WHERE that PM123 is going to get to charge me for anything. I agreed to a 1 year membership with Classmates and I read the disclaimers. Why call yourself PrivacyMatters123? If you're a partner with Classmates, CALL yourself Classmates! I've sent screenshots back to PM123 and asked them to explain WHY so many people have issues with them if they are on the up and up?

• Th
    Thaxton Waters Aug 04, 2010

I recently canceled with these people, I did not request nor know how they got my credit card number. But they just started charging my card. Something needs to be done about unethical business practice such as this. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to have someone just take my money like that.

• Le
    lexicon5 Jul 24, 2010

Contact you states attorney general office and file a complaint. I called PM123 and only received a one month refund. I then contacted my AG and they sent an inquiry to PM123 and I just received confirmation that all of my money has been refunded. This company need to be stopped... "This email confirms that a refund/credit of $119.70 was processed for your Privacy Matters 123 membership. "

• Mv
    MVPStars Jul 06, 2010

Privacy Matters 123 is a SCAM!! They keep billing you each month after their trial period is over!!
    WARNING:: NEVER USE THEM!!!

Angry and Broke CT Jun 16, 2010

You will be held accountable for ALL of these fraudulant cahrges to us all. Investigations have been set in motion and I am conacting my attourney and the state and federal goverment. This is not an up-standing business by ANY standards! I'm a single, unemployed mother and you have cost me aout $500 in overdraft fees and reinstatement fees for my vehicle insurance. I will also need to pay DMV fines for losing insurance because you took so much from my account. That won't happen again, my accounts have ALL been closed and I DARE you to send me a bill so I can track you down faster. P.S. Karma doesn't tickle, nor do class action law suits.

• Al
    AlphaO Jun 07, 2010

This happened to me...I am being charged because my husband thought he was getting a free check...when he saw it was not free, he backed out. HOWEVER...I got charged 29.95 for many months for something neither of us signed up for!! How did they get my account number????? I passed this information onto FACEBOOK and so should YOU!!...I canceled, now lets see if they charge me anyway next month. My charge co. said to send them a complaint if they do and they will do something about it!!!

• Gr
    Gremaw5 May 13, 2010

I was checking my bank account to my surprise I find 3 separate charges from Privacy Matters and their other so called companies. I don't even know how I got roped into such a thing. My bank account has been charged $16.95 three TIMES! I am royally pissed off! Why do we as consumers put up with internet companies who fraudulently continue to scam people?? I want this company shut down! We ALL need to contact our Consumer Affairs Depart. in our states. If we sit back and do nothing this kind of fraud will continue. I had best get my money refunded, I told this woman off and told her I wanted my account closed and to give me back MY MONEY!
    Valerie Banta

• Se
    seanweiss Mar 29, 2010

I got charged without ever signing up, but I caught it when checking my statements online. The statement should give you a phone number to call. The number I got was [protected]. Just give them a call and ask for the cancellation and ALSO ask for a refund. It seems they will only refund if you ask, so make sure you ask! Good luck!

p.s. What the hell is privacymatters123?!?!

• Rl
    RLW1956 Mar 10, 2010

I want to be the newest victim (non-member-member) to lodge a complaint against this so called company. My complaint is basically the exact same scam that many of you have described. My wife and I thought that this was a free service for a short period like many legitimate services offer, but this scamming company has gone far beyond "FREE TRIAL PERIOD" and then makes it virtually impossible to contact them much less cancel what I never intended to order in the first place! Somehow they operate in a manner that is most certainly fraud. I intend to pursue this further as they used private information that I never gave them for their continuing financial gain. Privacy Does Matter and they have most certainly stepped on the wrong toes to criminally invade my "PRIVACY". It sounds as though many of you have had similar experience with this "scummy" company and also could pursue this in a way as to PERMANENTLY put them officially OUT OF BUSINESS. Go for it as we are and don't stop until you get results!!!RLW1956

• On
    oneangryexpert Feb 09, 2010

I called to cancel and get a refund in December. They refunded 1 charge, and then charged me again. Now 2 months later I noticed they charged me a 3rd time. I called in and said their system is down and they cant do anything tonight.

So tomorrow i will call and try to get the cancellation and refunds through them.
    Then I am contacting their parent organization, Adaptive Marketing, to file a compliant
    Then I am contacting the 3 Credit Agencies to complain and hopefully cut them off at the source.
    Then I am opening a BBB claim in the state of their HQ, which is CONN. This should result in my getting my $75 back a 2nd time, so I end up making $75 off them
    Then Im calling my credit card, VISA, to demand the charges be put back (as a merchant they will get charge backs from VISA, extra penalalties, merchants hate that..they will hate these extra VISA chargs.
    Then I will put a BLOCK on them via my VISA so they can never charge my account again
    Then I will also report them to www.fraud.org

I am an expert in Credit Card Security and Identify Theft and so it is my pleasure to resolve this situation, but I am making this a personal matter due to their rude behavior and will do my best to actually get them put out of business, or at the very least ensure an investigation into their business practices by the DOJ for Credit Card Fraud.

In this cases, obviously people just want their money back and for the charges to stop, but I would highly recommend anyone having problems with them also follow the above steps I have outlined...its alot of phone calls, but dont let it stress you out, just call and calmly follow all these steps. It might be best to have a friend do this for you, since they wont be as emotionally involved and can more easily complete all the above listed steps.

Good luck!

• Gw
    gwen davis Feb 08, 2010

Ihave been billed to view report online but everytime I go to their site they ask the same infomation to bill card again

• Co
    Conjo1963 Jan 26, 2010

Same problem here...my charge has been $29.95 for the past 6 months. I called and cancelled and then had CC company dispute all charges. I'd love to know how they started that charge and how they can get by with what they are doing. This company needs to be stopped.

• Mr
    MRSMALDOANDO Jan 08, 2010

SOME HOW PRIVACYMATTERS 123 GOT THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF MY CREDIT CARD AND MY DATE OF BIRTH ALONG WITH MY ADDRESS AND WHEN I ASKED THEM HOW THE GOT MY INFO THEY SAID THAT I PURCHASED SOMETHING. I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING TO BE CHARGEDTO MY CREDIT CARD AND THEY DID. THEY CHARGED THE CARD FOR $1.00 AND THEN $19.95. AND AN INTERNATIONAL FEE OF $0.75. THAT WAS FROM THE BANK BECAUSE THE COMPANY THAT WITHDREW WAS INTERNATIONAL.. I CALLED TO GET MY MONEY BACK.. I THINK THIS COMPANY IS A FRUADULANT CO. TRYING TO COME UP ON PEOPLE'S MONEY.. THEY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN.

• Tr
    Tracy Lamson Dec 14, 2009

Very misleading phone call leads to unaccepted membership fees bring taken from my account.

• Jj
    jj-08 Dec 01, 2009

I also cancelled and been charged twice.

• Ge
    george adams Nov 12, 2009

they keep committing fraud

• Gt
    Gtaylor Oct 13, 2009

Same story as everyone else.. Somehow Privacy123 got my info and started charging my account 19.95...I NEVER gave them my card number..
    I called and had to give them my number for them to find my "account"..
    they gave me a cancellation number..and followed up w/ an email confirming the cancellation.. but I'm still concerned... I contacted my bank about the fraudulant charges.

GT

NoPrivacyHere Oct 05, 2009

That just happened to me. Over the weekend a $29.95 charge showed up on my pending transactions. I called the company and they are supposedly going to refund my money, we'll see.

The customer service reps at that place are horribly rude, just before the rep was about to HANG UP on my while I was still talking (she said thanks, have a great day - in the middle of my sentence). I immediatly requested a supervisor. Well, she was no help either so I asked for her supervisor' and here is her response:
    "My supervisor is at another location". So I said let me have that number, she said "I can give you the address and you can write them a letter". I said no, I want to call them. She said "They have no phones" and hung up on me!!!

Angry with websight... Oct 05, 2009

I just signed up for my "free credit report" and never once saw my credit report. I had to call and speak to someone who obviously could hardly speak engish...We live in Americal right? She told me that I had to go back to the sight and sign on within 5 minutes. I did and it told me that there was a problem with it. I better not get charged for something I didn't even get a chance to look at... I will be contacting a lawyer if it happens. Just wish I had looked at the blogs before I signed up.

• Ta
    Tammy Creg Oct 02, 2009

I never agreed to any money to be taken out of my bank. I cancel and NO MORE money to be taken out of MY bank using MY debit card due to i only went to that link to check it out and never did enter MY debit card number. I want every bit of my MONEY BACK!!!
    Tammy c.