Portfolio Recovery AssociatesPlaced A Judgement On Me

Received a call from Portfolos Litigations Department on 2/4/10 saying that I had a debt for Providian Credit card I said no I was not aware of the debt . She said that it shows there that I have been paying on the account. I then thought she was talking about a debt that I had agreed to pay for in 2008. I then thought that the people I had been paying changed me over to their company until I checked my credit report and found out that she had lied to me. I then found out that I had a judgement out on me in NYC for the year 2007 which I knew nothing about. I have not lived in since 2000. I feel they delibertly did that so I could not defend myself. I have read so many things about this company that I am not sure what to do. I know this judgement is going to stay on my credit report unless I go to New yorks Bronx County Court House to try to vacate this judgement, which will take several visits to prove I was not a resident at that time and I was not served properly. What shall I do. If you can help please let me know.
Ms. Lelia Brodwith
[protected]@aol.com

• Ft
    F them! Feb 13, 2013

Portfolio claims that they owe these debts and usually it is not the case. I would request all the information possible from this agency and hire a consumer lawyer. If you do not, then they will get away with messing up your credit report. The longer you sit back and do nothing, the more they can scam your credit report and everything else. I am currently in a situation with them fighting now. I meet with my attorney tomorrow morning. Do not let these roaches get away with this. They know the economy is bad and want to abuse people the best way they know how. They don't realize how difficult it is for a lot of people.

• Gi
    Gina Hamilton Jun 19, 2018

@F them! They just sued me over a credit card I paid off over 10 years ago I win the first round, they sent me a letter and said they considered this matter dropped, , they took it to court a year later without notifying me, and won, I'm disabled, and very sick, I don't no what to do:-)

• Us
    UseryIsBadMkay Feb 09, 2011

Contact your State Attorney Generals' office in the state which you lawfully reside. Just make sure you know for sure you don't really owe this debt. Do your homework on your past credit, it will be better to have a full set of evidence to back your position, otherwise you're just like the millions of others who say the same thing without any proof.

• Gr
    GreggTinker Mar 11, 2010

Penelope W. "Penny" Kyle, who is President of Radford University, is currently on the Board of Directors of Portfolio Recovery Associates.

Looks like Penny will do anything to make a Buck.