Playphone ClubUnauthorized subscription

Playphone club charged me an unauthorized subscription fee on my cell phone bill. I never signed up for this service or never heard of them.

Don

• Cj
    CJay Jun 11, 2009

I had the same issue with this scam. Call your service provider and have the charge or charges taken off and the service blocked. Note that the charges usually reappear every months since the first occurrence.

• Ia
    Ian Jun 11, 2009

I just saw the same charge on my cell bill - $14.99. AT&T removed the fee and cancelled the subscription so it would not happen again.

• Ve
    Venetia Jul 27, 2009

I had the same problem and I have no idea how they signed me up and charged $19.99 to my cell phone bill.
    I called At&T right away and they have reversed the charges and un-subscribed me. I have taken advantage of the free service AT&T offer called Purchase Blocker which will stop and block any more of these unauthorized charges. When you DO want to make a purchase you just put in a pin number first (which you create yourself )

• Je
    Jeff Jonez Aug 16, 2009

I just discovered these leeches on one of my lines too. No idea how the subscription was started, but they've been blocked from doing it again.

• Lo
    losbravos4 Aug 24, 2009

Scammers, indeed. I just got off the phone with AT&T and they reversed my charges, as well. I am also taking it a step further and filing a complaint with AT&T on line, using these comments as a reference. NOTE: at the same time, I received another scam for 'Auction Alerts' from a company named SendMe, also charging me $9.99 per month (and AT&T also removed from my bill and cancelled for me)

• Da
    DallasDiva Oct 09, 2009

This scam needs to be stopped. Auction Alert, SendMe, belong to a company called "VERISIGN". I just got off the phone with my customer service rep at AT&T, this is the fourth time I have had to remove a $9.99 fee for this AuctionAlert, I have put a block on purchases, but the last one was posted to my account hours after putting the block in place. I DO KNOW how this scam works . . . . because I remember when it happened. I was posting my resume (of all things), on a website that the employers sometimes ask for you to complete a profile and application form. At some time during the process, a Pop-Up appears (which does not look like one), and asks for your cell phone number, it looks like part of the application process. Well, I put in the # and reached the end of that section, and realized what was going on, instead of clicking on OK you I closed out of that window . . . It's too late!! they have your # and the rest is history. How can we stop them? AT & T does not have a contact number for them, but they did give me their name, so I'm going to see if they have a website. VERISIGN.com and they will be hearing from my attorney.
    I hope this was helpful to unsuspecting victims . . . Outraged in Dallas

• L9
    l90ughboy Oct 22, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Don't mean to be rude or negative but these charges are completely your fault; you just didn't realize you did it. Ever taken the IQ test on Facebook?? Remember your asked for you cell phone number and carrier for a reason, your being signed up for something!! Some of you just forgot after the test and when you received the text message you didn't do what your supposed to do, reply with STOP! I agree that it's sneaky, but stop blaming other when you're the one who was fooled.

• Ci
    circa68 Oct 25, 2009

I was nailed in this months bill for $14.99. While l9oughboy has a point, I *did* reply with STOP, but was still charged, which I am sure was the case with other folks here.

chassie Jan 08, 2010

this is a scam. I just noticed i was charged 2 months in a row.

• El
    el Gene-o Feb 16, 2010

If a company or individual has to resort to "sneaky" (ref. l90ughboy above) tactics, then its a scam. period. (IMHO) A sad truth we unfortunately have to live with, in so may different ways.

• Gi
    Ginger000 Jun 28, 2010

They got me too. and the number I was given to stop it is not accurate. Does anyone have the number. My carrier is T-Mobile.

• Bl
    blkaxe Jan 02, 2011

I have been charged $19.99 a month by something called Playphone. It says "to stop subscription, text STOP to the short code". I have done this and recieved a confermation text telling me that my subscription has been stopped. A month later now and the exact same thing happened. These people are ruthless!!!