PetSmartage discrimination

D

Applied to PetSmart several times for an entry level position. Retirement became too boring so I applied for an open position. My resume is stellar and I would have expected as least an e-mail that I was not considered. Nothing happened even after I personally handed my resume to the hiring manager. The position remained open for months.

When I went there to buy a few products, I casually asked the checkout employee if they were still hiring. I jokingly told her that I had applied twice months before and heard nothing saying "maybe I'm too old." She casually said "yea they want younger people."

No matter what a company's job application says about equal employment opportunities, it's still a very sad fact that it does happen more often than gets reported.

• St
    Stephanie Hundemer Feb 15, 2021

I a dog groomer with 25 years vast knowledge in show & pet grooming Applied to Petsmart & Petco & was told I could be a 'greeter' after learning my age! you'd think they would be happy to have me with their record of dog abuse & Death!!!

• St
    Stormb Mar 08, 2020

I have not given PetSmart my business anymore because they think someone in their fifties is to old. The manager wanted to hire me until they saw I was older. I was treated poorly and wouldn’t want to work for a company like that, or buy anything there. I used to spend a lot of money on my pets there. I go to petco and chuck and dons for quality products now.

• Ru
    RuthJ Oct 03, 2017

I recently applied to PetSmart and was asked in a questionnaire after the application process if I was 49 years or younger. The questionnaire included an aptitude test and then this questionnaire, which allowed me to opt out of race and gender questions but not the age-related question. I felt very uncomfortable and upset but went ahead and finished the questionnaire. I also sent an email of concern to the third party conducting the test and questionnaire, which referred me back to PetSmart to voice my complaint. I called PetSmart corporate and was told the questionnaire was for government purposes and they don't even see the questionnaire. However, the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I became. Though at the end of the application process there was a statement saying I could opt out of the questionnaire, that simply wasn't the case. It kept circling me back via an email through this third party, Infor Talent Science, stating that in order for PetSmart to receive the app I needed to complete the test and questionnaire. I have since filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division and EEOC, which isn't anonymous and will probably destroy whatever chance I may have had working for PetSmart. But then again, if they do age discriminate, I wouldn't have been hired anyway. So at least I can feel good about officially lodging my complaint. If they do age discriminate, shame on them. Older folks are often much more reliable and show more wisdom in stressful situations. Age discrimination is difficult to prosecute. That's why everyone who feels they have been the target of this type of discrimination should make a complaint through official channels.

• Ni
    Nikki Pons Apr 18, 2017

I started to apply online but stopped when I got to the question that basically asked my age. It asks "at what stage is your carreer", starting with student...I canceled my application because they are not supposed to ask how old you are.

• Ke
    Kenetha Sep 20, 2016

I have been applying to PetSmart for several years for a part time cashier position. I have several years of retail management experience as well as being an entry level cashier. I am available for nights and any time on the week-ends, so I don't believe scheduling was a problem. I am 58 years old. PetSmart recently posted a part time position for cashier and pet care, I applied for both. I love animals and really wanted to work for PetSmart. I didn't get a phone call or even an e-mail from PetSmart. However, my friend who is 19 years old, put her application in on 1 day and got an interview the next day and was hired practically the next day. She has less that 6 months work experience ! Hmmm