Paypalunsecure site

I am in the process of cleaning up $12, 500 worth of airline tickets charged to my Pay Pal accounts. This included debit, credit card and the bank checking account tied to PayPal. Not the first time I've had to deal with fraud through Pay Pal.

My computer has good, current virus and spyware on it. The 'geek squad' at Best Buy found no planted keylogging program/virus and they just guffawed at the lack of 'security' on the PP site. Their comment was it is "not safe, no matter what they say".

Last year someone hacked into Pay Pal and listed hundreds of individuals' names, socials and credit card# w/security codes onto a discussion board thread on Ebay. Every few lines he stuck in "wheeeee!!!" I saw this myself yet Ebay/PayPal (one and the same) covered it up and denied there was anything to it.

I would recommend NOT using Pay Pal. Let Ebay know what the concerns are as they are starting a new "policy" around the end October 2008 not allowing sellers to list any payment option other than Pay Pal. This is not out of concern for buyer/seller safety, it is only another way for them to get more money in their already deep pockets.

• Da
    dARLETTEKNOX Oct 29, 2007

I applied and was denied a merchant account last year with paypal. yet they have all my bank info and personal info. and are charing my bank account as if I have an account with them and I do not.. during the application process they told me to deposit ten dollars. towards thier account for a test and that they would send it back .. after many phone calls hours of explaining and frustration with various departments and supervisors paypal put lke 6 2 or 3 dollars back towards my account and charged for the service...then sent me a check for one cent..now i get a email saying that they are going to cancel the one cent check and want to charge for that probably as a way to access my account because they know that they are in the wrong for thier past actions.. I should not have to change my buisness account because they are not set up to withdraw information from thier databases.. they are a fraud..shortly after this fiasco I opened a merchant account to process my own credit cards..this company is not trustworthy and does not have resolutions in places for thier problems to give even one cent back that they steal and I mean STEAl ..theft by fraud...

• Me
    Melissa Nov 14, 2007

sold a car on ebay. Buyer paid thru pay pal. Pay pal locked up my account and set all these limitations on my account. Would not release my 3700.oo dollars unless i sent them all this personal info. Which I did. And they still would not release my money.Its been 4 months. Still nothing.....There are all kinds of things just like my case happening, to honest people. Way more than my 3700.00. I guess i should count my blessings it was not over 25,ooo. Like some people. Tons of negative if you just research pay pal. So please know this could happen to you as well as it did with me and so many others. Pay pal does not back you up. They just hold your money.

John A. Roush Dec 29, 2008

I did not authorize Pay Pal to deduct any funds out of my account. The amount on this time was $89.15. This was suppose to be bought by the bull ### name: Buyer: Green M. Jess; Receipt # [protected] Item Product # 922-166; Transaction ID: 9875242566FG486722N. I want my money.

I will be in Kentucky before the 15th.

• Ba
    bamargeracom Aug 06, 2009

Paypal has brainwashed everyone into thinking they are safe and secure, however they are far from that!!!
    I have also had my share of shady business practices from both ebay and paypal.
    I use Amazon.com now, and will NEVER use ebay, paypal or any of their affiliates ever again nor will I recommend them to my worst enemy.
    Ebay and Paypal are a scam and a Monopoly!!

• Ba
    bamargeracom Aug 07, 2009

Paypal and ebay are a scam and a monopoly. Ebay will very soon become a thing of the past. You will see!!!

chiefredelk Aug 13, 2009

I had an account with Pay Pal.. A few months ago I purchased some items from Deals Extreme. Pay pal had NO Problem with my credit card. Recently, I canceled my account with Pay Pal because they would NOT allow me to Use another credit card. Because I use "Shop Safe" with Bank of America each purchase on the net has a different credit card number with a set limit. It works like this. Example. If you order something on line costing 100 dollars you credit limit for the "shop Safe" number can be set for a limit at or near your purchase. In my case I would set my limit at about 101 dollars. That way the seller can't ship you two items and bill you 200 dollars saying that is what you ordered. I know it's happened before..It seems that Deals Extreme uses ONLY Pay Pal for check out. Now that I have closed my Pay Pal account I can't purchase from Deals Extreme. I am told that E-Bay is now using Pay Pal exclusively. In that case I will not be able to purchase off e-bay. My credit is GREAT I have NEVER declaired bank rupsy, my home and car are paid for, I am not behind on any bills, no late fees. Pay Pal has TO much control over our lives..Simply put I HATE doing business with them and think vendors should go back to letting us use our OWN banks and credit companies. Pap Pal even asked for my bank routing numbers and other personal info they DO NOT NEED.. My Credit Card is GOOD and that is easy to verify. Now Pay Pal will NOT accept a credit card from me and I have NEVER defaulted. Is their way of punishing me for Closing my Pay Pal account? You decide..

• Mi
    Michael MacColl Dec 01, 2010

wanted to buy a product online told to get credit card got said visa went to buy item online told they had to join pay pal did that pay pal took out 1.95 to verify credit card no problem there went back to buy the item when i tried pay pal declined the item said their security system will not allow the purchase called them up they said to try again after doing so I was told they would not accept my visa for payment that i would have to get their green pay pack ( why I did not understand I had gotten the visa to make a purchase not to have it and not use it, now I go to store and find this green pay pack it cost an additional 4.95 plus tax and on the card it reads that thy will charge a fee for the use. what type of crap is that? so Ive been looking for a company that has the product and does not use pay pal their is none at least online that i can find.just wanted to put this out their and the kicker is they even charge a closing fee they get you coming and going.

• Ii
    Iiralene Mar 02, 2011

The Pay pal asked me to veryfy my bank account or I reached limits for transactions and cannot do more... Took 1 week to complete and the representative promised - there will be a button to choose to pay with credit card orbank account, but there was not... time was up to pay for e-bay items, could not wait longer and I knew they could not possibly take money from bank, funds were locked, so I confirmed payment... and called service 2nd time - because I saw no funds to be taken from credit card. Well, this time I had to confirm credit card!!! Another week to complete. Call #3 - what's happening to all those transfers? Ah, they used my credit card now! Ok, now I have the button to choose to pay right away from credit card - still Pay Pal wants me to use bank account and asks again and again to press - not to change to credit card... Call #4 - what?!!! Why?!!!. O'k, they promise not to charge for using credit card and advise to go ahead... But at the end of the day they created me negative balance on their own account - Call # 5 - Why negative? Ah, one of sellers did refund 2$ out of 3$ sent and they cannot charge my credit card for this 1$... They want me to pay cash advance, which will cost me $2.5 for transaction from credit card ($5 if to debit my bank account). What kind of monkey business is this? Well, Paypal representative transfers me to his supervisor, and supervisor transfers me to their "account specialist" - which will coplete charge from credit card which will be not as cash advance...after 2 minutes me waiting for answer they hang up the phone. So they solved their problem! Leaving me with no other possibility to pay negative balance THEY CREATED but those which will cost me high fees, and damaging my credit history reputation.
    Willing to risk your credit score using pay pal, anyone? They do not help and push you into trouble for no reson, no fault of yours... i heard, they want to get rid of small customers, or up to something else... Anyway, what they advertise - is false, and should people charge them for this - these could be a winning case with a good lawer. And may be i will have to go to cort to protect my reputation. Just for 1$, LOL! But I would advise to use pay Pal account unconfirmed up to limits they set, and after walk away from future using. Why to confirm your bank account, if everything get's so screwed after that?! After that transactions are not easy, nor care free...
    Neither should I say - I am no longer e-bay customer...after all this mess and abuse from Pay Pal.

• Je
    jeff81 May 24, 2011

After several weeks and many phone calls I have given up. The PayPal plus operations are either in shambles, suffering from neglect, or fraudulent. Every attempt to settle a requested charge back has ended in no action what so ever. The latest attempt required I file a new (second request) and then fax the evidence to [protected]. This phone number does not work! Avoid this company and alert others to avoid this company as well. In my opinion the brand 'PayPal' is severely tarnished. I will never trust any eBay product again.

• Na
    Nancy lucky Jun 28, 2013

I have been a member of Pay Pal since it first came out. I am disabled so I do a lot of online shopping and don't like to give out my credit cards. Well they were offering a special that you would get a free 10.00 if you signed up for a new program called "Bill me later" I thought what the heck it would be nice to get a free 10.00 . So I applied and was denied. I have never been denied for anything in my entire life. I don't owe any credit cards, my credit score was in the 800's as I just refinanced my home at a lower intrest rate. I was not only shocked but I am mad. If this gets reported on my credit report I will find out what I need to do to have it taken off. I am going to pass this information to everyone I know including the people who do their business on this service. I will not only never use it again but I will apply for the new one out there. I do not understand why and sent them a letter asking them and they said I would receive a letter in the mail. If this does anything to my credit I will seek legal advice. So all of you who use Paypal I would think twice. They are not the company they appear to be!

Mariam Conte Jan 26, 2014

I fully agree with this post as I have personally been scammed out of USD883.60 by PayPal when withdrawing funds from my PayPal to my registered and verified bank account.
    The transactions (2 in total - 1 for USD500 in February 2013 and the second for USD383.60 in January 2014) show completed however were never in my bank account.
    I contacted PayPal more than 50 times via phone and sent over 100 emails. Their customer service staff does nothing to assist and simply do not care to help their customers trace missing funds.
    PayPal advertise itself as trusted and reliable and I have found out the hard way - TWICE - that this is a blatant lie.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices