NorthShore University HealthSystemjoseph raviv, md, ent

M Dec 01, 2019

I am submitting a complaint about Dr. Joseph Raviv, who works for NorthShore HealthSystem, Division of Otolaryngologist. Joseph Raviv is a very dangerous, unethical doctor. I visited Raviv in mid 2014, when I was suffering from sinus congestion. Looking back on things, most of my problems could have been resolved with antibiotics, and refraining from Afrin use. I did not know this at the time, though.

Anyways, Dr. Raviv immediately offered me sinus surgery, without elaborating on any of the risks, or discussing any alternative treatments. At the time, I thought this would help, so I accepted the surgery. This was the biggest mistake of my life.

Dr Raviv performed two surgeries on me: endoscopic sinus surgery (where they widen the sinus passages), and septoplasty (where they straighten the septum). The septoplasty, however was completely unnecessary, and severely narrowed the right side of my nasal airway. For people reading this, I have included x-ray images of my sinuses, before and after my surgery with Dr. Raviv. As you can see from the surgery, my airway was much more open, and equal on both sides, before my surgery with him.

Dr. Raviv performed this unnecessary surgery just to collect the additional insurance money. There is no other excuse. I also visited him multiple times after the surgery, telling him that my breathing was much worse, and I suspected that it was a problem with my septum. And every time I visited him, he laughed in my face at this idea, and told me it must be because of something else, like allergies. I told him I had been tested for allergies just the other year, and it couldn't be because of that. However, he still never considered my theory about the septum.

Also being person that he is, he charged me $500 for each of these post follow-up meetings. He charged me $500 to tell me I might have allergies. For these reasons, I stopped seeing him in early 2015. Eventually, in early 2017, I got a second opinion from a doctor that looked at my x-rays, pre and post surgery, and told me that my airway was much more open and equal on both sides before the surgery with Raviv. When I called Raviv, and told him this, he told me too much time had passed for him to perform the revision septoplasty (make it the way it was before). You can imagine how furious I was upon hearing that.

Since my surgery with Raviv, I have also had several additional procedures from other doctors, including vestibular stenosis (bracing collapsing nasal valves) and turbinate reduction in efforts to breathe better. Yet this did nothing to help alleviate my problems.

This surgery was almost five years ago, and it has had catastrophic effects on my life and health. Since I can't really breathe out of my nose that well anymore, I don't sleep well at night. Because of that, I am exhausted all day, and not able to function well. I have lost friends and jobs over the years, and I am not able pursue some of the career goals that I wanted to. And since there is nothing that can be done to fix this doctor's negligence, this is how I will have to live the rest of my life. I hope people take heed of the seriousness of my posts, and how it has affected me.