Menu
Mirena IUD
reviews & complaints

Mirena IUD
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

20 complaints
12 resolved 8 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Mirena IUD. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
J
6:28 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've just come across these mirena complaints because just lately I've been noticing the bad odour, all of the sudden mind you, I've had it for nearly 2 years now, so I googled the same question as others obviously, and now I'm peaking right out!! I urgently needed to get this mirena, because at the time I suffered from endometriosis pretty badly. It's very...

C
11:09 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi I had the mirena coil inserted not as a contraceptive but to control heavy periods. Within a month of having the coil I suffered a severe bout of depression, having never suffered from depression this was a shock to myself and family.Resulted in having to take 3 months out of work.I Recieved treatment continued with everyday life returned to work.I then...

View 0 more photos
12:25 pm

Mirena IUD - horrible iud choice: mirena

I got my IUD in almost exactly 10 months ago and it was lifechanging. Not in a good way either! I searched for years for a birth control that was easy to use and didn't make me feel like I was pregnant, but ten times worse, as most hormone BCs do to me. I wanted to try the mirena and when it dropped in cost with my insurance provider I immediately got my Mirena. I have had more health issues since then than I've had in years. I have had a lot of sharp abdominal pain, heartburn, severe migraines (I even saw neurologists and had a brain tumor scare), severe change in vision, issues regulating my moods, etc. And it's so easy to find explainations for SOME of the issues and when I'd see a doctor I'd always say "By the way, I'm on the Mirena." Only one doctor, my GP, thought it could be contributing to my problems. My new OB is such a fan of this thing that he thinks there's no way that a woman can have longer periods on it, irregular, etc. "Those must be contributed to something else." No sir, I don't believe that. I'm having this thing yanked out. I'm almost in constant pain these days from one thing or another and I feel like a crazy person going to doctor after doctor. I'm going to get it removed and pray that the 30 pounds I've gained since insertion drop, along with all of the other odd symptoms I'm suddenly experiencing. I think women should definitely do what they feel is best for them, but I know that for all the women I've known on Mirena, they've all hated it. Gotten it removed early, or on time and never had it re-inserted.

B
12:10 am

Mirena IUD - Recalled?

I did not know this was recalled. The hospital that I got it from didn't even let me know or did not send me nothing in the mail. So far I got no side effects. What should I do? Go to the doctor and take it out? I clearly understand that there would be side effects, but did not get anything. I got it placed in 2009 of June. Someone help!

B
Oct 10, 2015 11:00 pm

I got mirena in 2006 had stomache pain and iud migrated got it taken out and replaced because thats what dr said was best i have serious chronic migrains everyday. What do we do

T
3:47 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been having alot of medical issues lately and i am now learning its due to the mirena iud i had put in approx 2.5 yrs ago. I have these aweful pains in my sides and center of my stomach, the dr said the pain may be due to a cyst rupture?intercourse with my hubby is painful and causes me to spot . Im glad to see that im not crazy and others are having the same issues.

K
7:16 pm

Mirena IUD - mirena problems

I had my mirena inserted 4 weeks after having my youngest daughter and it wasn't such a big deal, I didn't have a period from after I had it inserted and I didn't think much of it. I started have side effects about a year after it was inserted my back started hurting I had lost all of my sex drive couldn't loose weight and was loosing my hair to the extent that I could not put it up or I would pull out a hand full of hair it was even falling out by the handful when I went to was it. Well about 3 months ago the strings to my Merina fell out and my Merina became dislodged and was sideways not to mention I ended up with cervical cancer as well. I had to have a leep procedure done for the cancer and then they had to do a DNC to remove the Merina after it was removed it feels like a weight has been lifted and everything is slowly returning to normal I would not recommend it to anyone yes in some cases it helps prevent pregnancy but then the effects it has on some is not worth it. I would have rather brought another baby into this world insets of having to pay thousands in medical bills for the problems it has caused for me and my family!

R
Oct 05, 2012 6:56 am

I'm having the same problem. I went to the doc to have it removed, they couldn't find it. So I had an ultrasound and they said it is sideways. In THREE weeks I will have a consult with the doctor to find out if they will have to do sugery or how they will get it out. Until now, they had treated all my complaints like I was crazy. They ran every conceivable blood test, just to have them come up clear. One even recommended I get a catscan to see if I had a brain tumor causing my problems! Horrible product.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My daughter had the Mirena IUD implanted after the birth of her daughter in 2009. She recently had to have it removed because it had totally flipped upside down and was causing her severe abdominal pain. She now has been contacted by the doctor and told that she has cervical cancer. I want women to think 100 times over before they chose to have this device...

4:51 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am 35 years old, I have had horrific LONG-painful periods my whole life. I have had 7 miscarriages, and birth control pills do not work. My doctor suggested Mirena; it would put my eggs on hold hopefully getting my uterus healthy enough to have babies to term. My last chance and last hope of conceiving, and getting me healthy enough. This was a sad sad...

K
4:00 pm

Mirena IUD - iud

I am someone who has very regular, light periods naturally. I have three children (two of which I became pregnant for while taking the pill), so I decided that I wanted to have my tubes tied because I was done having children. My doctor told me that I was too young and that I may regret my decision, so why not chose a long term birth control that wasn't a pill. She recommended mirena to me. I was told that almost all of the office staff had one and that I would really love it. I decided to get mirena. The mirena was inserted while I was still on about the last day of my period. My period had been going on for about 6 days. The bleeding got a little heavier the day of insertion (which I believe is normal), and that is where my problems began. It has been 5 weeks and I am still bleeding! I have had heavy bleeding everyday for over a month. I was anemic before insertion, so now I am so weak and tired that it is hard for me to function. I am taking a full course load in college and have three children to take care of, but now I find myself so tired and headachey that I don't even want to study or move. I called the dr.'s office and reported to them what was going on two weeks ago and I was told that this was completely normal. I don't believe it. I feel miserable. I can't have sex because of the bleeding, and even if I could I am so exhausted that it doesn't even cross my mind. It is ruining my relationship, not to mention that I constantly feel dirty because of the constant heavy menstrual bleeding. I think mirena should be taken off of the market!

L

More research should be done on woman who have used the Merina. I had the Merina for a year and a half and suffered with depression. I felt that something was off, made the appointment with my OBGYN to ask her the questions about the side affects of the Merina I told her about my recent depression she assured me that It was not from the Merina. I decided to take it out to ensure myself that I was not going crazy. To my surprise I felt better. I had a couple of my girlfriends experience similar side affects after getting the merina implant.. Once they listened to me they got them out.

Anytime that you put something foreign into your body you can be assured that the body is going to react, especially when it is dealing with our reproductive system. I think that woman should think twice about selecting the IUD methods for birth-control.

M
3:28 pm

Mirena IUD - omg

had mirena inserted in october 2010 it is now april 2011. i have gained weight not been able to lose. mood swings. constantly aching body. i am only 24 i feel like an old lady. i wake up everyday just not wanting to get out of bed. i blame it on my 3 year old rolling around on me but thats not it. i am basically bi-polar right now. i can snap about anything. i am always worried like anxiety has consumed me. calling the doc to have this removed. thought the 5 years would give me enough time to decide about another baby before doing anything permanent.

N

Mirena IUD - was never told about the side effects I have had for a year now lost almost all my hair!

i have had the mirena for a year now and i have lost allmost all my hair, deppressed to the point of attempting suicide, been trying diffrent test to find out why and weekly b12 shots, the cramping is really bad but the hairloss is completly emmbaressing and i am soo sad, getting the mirena out asap!have heard so many of the same stories.

Mirena IUD - terrible side effects

I had Mirena placed in 5/2010. 4 Months later I began having hives, had trouble losing weight, started losing hair, had an increase in migraines, ovarian cysts, abdominal cramping and increased anxiety. When I went to have it removed, my OB first wanted a thyroid test because "most of my side effects were not related to Mirena". Thyroid test was normal so I went to have it removed. My OB stood in front of me and said that the hives, hair loss, weight issues and migraines were not related. How can this be accurate if you go straight to the official Mirena website and look at all the side effects. regardless of how rare they are. ALL of my side effects are on the list. What makes me even more made is that I could overhear another DR. telling another patient that there are hardly any side effects for this birth control. Now, I know that every person reacts different to medicines but the doctors should be honest about "potential" issues. I should have done more research, that is for sure. I honestly believe that the Dr.s are being incenteted for pushing this BC, it is a darn shame. They don't have to live with the misery that is could cause!

I
12:11 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hey ladies, You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that I am not alone... I have never really responded to any blogs like this before.. But this one... I must!! I am 23 and I had my daughter June 19th 2008. About a month or so later I decided to go ahead and get the Mirena because as so many of you have also said.. The drs. really so talk it up. They...

L
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have had the IUD mirena since 9-5-07. Things ere going well until I started having serious pain in my groin area. I constantly had a feeling of pressure and my left and right side hurt, pretty much all the time. I started hurting so bad I went to the emergency room. They told me because of my IUD, they could not examine me because of the liability issue...

Mirena IUD - Mirena IUD Problems

I had Mirena "installed" on 7/20/09, since then I have experienced non-stop bleeding...I believe there was a 3 day period where I did not bleed. I also have had cramps, depression, anxiety, my body hair growth went out of control (I have to shave my legs once a day!) and recently clumps of my hair on my head started falling out. This is on top of the strings poking my boyfriend's member and pressure and pain that I feel occasionally during intercourse.

I remember reading the pamphlet during a doctor visit while pregnant and thinking how perfect it sounded as a birth control...5 years of worry-free protection, low-dosage of hormones, very little side effects supposedly.

If I had known then what I know now about its side effects I would never have had it put in. The hair-loss is my biggest complaint...I have PCOS and while on the pill to treat it a few years back, clumps of my hair had fallen out. I *FINALLY* had grown my all that hair back, and now it's all gone to pot again. I am royally PO'ed about it all.

3 comments
D
Jan 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I had the nightmare device placed around April 2008 shortly after having my son, sick with cramps, aggitation, nausea, body aches, headache, and anxiety until Thanksgiving 2009 when I woke with fever, chills, dizziness, blurred vision and pelvic pain. Upon going to the doctor they informed me that I had a severe pelvic infection and treated me accordinly with immediate injections of antibiotics and oral meds and pain releif. NEVER TOOK THE MIRENA OUT, it was asvised for me not too. Had same symptoms as before infection after a few weeks of treatment ... up until the unexplained fever started in May 2010 had constant fever and flu like symptoms for about 6 weeks with no diagnoises from doc they told me probley a virus or a string of them, finaly put on antibiotics after a trip to ER that time but fever got higher, started with severe headaches, body aches and dizziness, had a friend help get me out of bed and drive me to the doctor on July 5 2010... Then the story begins... I was so very sick my teeth where chattering so hard i broke some off, they immediatly saw the shape i was in and ordered blood work and a complete exam, everything hurt so bad and the pain was unbearable but it was mostly hurting in my pelvic region like going into labor. They took out the IUD without haste and it was RUSTED! Anyway the doc said it must have been a defective one. Given again immediate shots of several fast acting antibiotics and sent to the ER for more tests and bloodwork, there they did CTs of my abdoman to show the severe infection that the Attending Doc said must have been there a while... More antbiotis given oral and by injection. 3 days later July 8th I was admitted to the hospital not responding to the meds the infection in my whole body got worse, and was in there a week with horrific pain, 5 different Meds in IV's, blood clots in my lungs developed while in, and severe dibilitating pain. Still fighting this thing to this day Jan 2011 I am not 100 percent, went through many tests since release...too msny pelvic exams to count, colonoscopy, bloodwork, CTs of pelvic and chest, lots of Doc appointments and ER trips when the symptoms return. I have to date been on 13 antibiotics since July and came close to loosing my life, and due to scar tissue on all reproductive organs may never be able to have children again, fighting the docs not to have a hysterectomy, I still have hot flashes, heart palpitations, headaches, deppression/anxiety and low grade fevers as my body trys to get healed from this and maybe never will be !00 percent since this devil device Mirena was inserted and taken out. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND MIRENA TO ANYONE, IT WILL KILL THEM! (Safe with no side effects or risks? REALLY?)

Sep 18, 2009 1:55 pm

p.s. I am sorry for what you went through.

Sep 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Hello, my name is Niki, and I just signed up. I had Mirena put in over a year ago and from the beginning until the end, the symptoms you posted, I have had. They got worse and finally in August 2009, I had severe pain under my belly button area, hot & cold I was. I felt like I had to use the restroom, that was not it. I was dizzy and thought I needed to vomit, no, not it. It was on a weekend vacation and no I did not listen to my relarive who is a nurse and go to the hospital. I "toughed it out"... ALL NIGHT! Then I started to bleed, thick, dismissed it as my period. Sore I was the next 2 days or so. Miscarriage?! I had it removed yesterday, it was coming out he said, it was in the cervix. Much more to say...

12:45 am

Mirena IUD - iud symptoms

I had Mirena inserted on may 13, 09. I was so excited that I wouldnt have a period for 5 years. Boy do I regret that now. I have had major mood swings to the point where my boyfriend of 3 years and I broke up. I have had no sex drive at all, I didnt even want to kiss my boyfriend. During my pregnancy I gained 75 pounds because of hypertension. I lost 50 and am gaining it back even after excercise and healthy eating habits. I have been getting a sharp pain in my right side which I believe is in my ovary. After showering I still am getting a bad odor down there, which is not normal for me. I have been losing a lot of hair which may be from having my daughter... or it may be this damn IUD. I feel so lazy and rundown, like I just dont want to get out of bed. I am going to call my midwife to have it removed! I have had 3 friends with similar complaints

Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Yes i agree iv lost alot of hair myself i now have gain over 100 pounds which im not happy iv had bad odor myself, blood clots come out instead of my period, bad pain on my right side, iv had bad back pain, i now have edema in my legs they turn blue off and on and my 4 valves of my heart dont push out enough blood fast enough, iv had a extreamly low sex drive im in the same boat as u i didnt even wanna look at him iv had bad mood swings, i cant walk far at all i get bad cramps in my legs, i never wanted to get out of bed i always felt extreamly sleepy all the time even if i had over 10 hours of sleep groin area was painfull sometimes.. dizzy, everything..i had mine removed but the things in my legs are still the same so it must be permanate im 28 years old and now im so scarred omg...

J
2:16 pm

Mirena IUD - Mirena

I had the mirena put in january of 2009. At first I was experiencing the reg. Cramps, light spotting, ect. Which was fine. But several months went by and the cramping didnt stop. The the weight gain and stand still (with daily excersize and diet) since I didnt have aproblem with weight loss after my 1st son I was a little concerned but not due to I am part hispanic. Then came mood swings and crazy amounts of cramping and nausia. Now after my husband and I have sex my stomach hurts so bad I cant even sit down. Also migranes, leg cramps and pains, cold sweats, heart beating way too fast, mood swings, and anxiety, sweaty palms, and hot flashes. About 3 weeks ago during intercourse my husband and I felt the mirena move out of place and I had severe cramps afterward and called my gyn. She said everything was fine and there is nothing to worry about... Only it has been about a month now and the pain is getting worse and she is out having surgery! I am in so much pain and I am feeling nausious and ive had a migrane for 3 days! Help us! This thig sucks and I wouldnt wish this pain on my worst enemy!

D
Aug 06, 2009 3:21 pm

I have have Mirena for almost 5 years and only had cramping for the first month or so. My doctor even gave me an ultrasound to make sure it was put in correctly. The cramping stopped. You need to go back to your doctor and get an ultrasound to see if it is put in correctly. Put some things are not for everyone. It has been perfect for me. I am ready to get it taken out in a month. good luck.

8:18 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

MY STORY My Mirena was removed on 29th May 2008. I had the Mirena put in four years ago, I had terrible pain the day after, it was that bad I was going to go to the hospital Emergency to get the thing out but I put up(the worst thing I done in my life, Im paying for it now) with it and it and the pain got a bit better, had a lot of bleeding (spotting...

6:22 pm

Mirena IUD - Terrible service!

I was attacked by dr todd m beste while being seen by another doctor. may 23 2005 i was getting the mirena removed and my doc could not find it, he left me in th stirrups against my will and request to remove the specula and exited the room. He came back and i heard a new voice say there has never been one of these i could not get out, i felt stabbing pains jabbing in my uterus til i screamed stop. I was in shock that i was being assaulted on the table. The sound is still in my head, it sound like he was making beating on drums, cause the retrieval hook was hitting against the metal specula. I could not believe what had just happened with a cna in the room. dr todd m beste did not wash his hands or wear gloves because all that stuff was beside the head of the bed, so i never say his face or knew his name until i got a second set of medical records. I didn't see his face for months until i decided to google the name that belonged to my nightmare and a face popped up. Finally the dr giggles had a face. dr todd m beste caused an infection and swelling in my uterus, his nurses and secretaries hung up on me and ignored me for 3 days and 30 phone calls. i finally went to get my own records on the 3rd morning and they made me get on the scale, i almost fainted when i saw i had lost 20lbs, they wanted to admit me. WHY would i let these crazy people put me to sleep now after ignoring me for days. ECU school of medicine kept lying to me saying they were calling in percocet prescription for me, they never did. dr todd m beste is a crazy quack he did not have my consent to touch me and if you google his name you would not a man with a face like that play inside your body either. I talk about the side effects of the mirena on the http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=713 dr todd m beste violated me and i suffer from PTSD because of what he did to me. Its been 3 years and i still have not gotten over it, he will not apologize or anything, He just moved to a new location.

10:08 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have had nothing but troubles with this thing, the longer its in the worst its effects, it really ruins your life and leaves you feeling like a hypochondriac, and isolated, as no one inc your doctor believes your symptoms inc: dizziness, hot sweats, extreme tiredness, feeling like your 73 not 33, feeling like your hung over every morning when you wake up...

Mirena IUD contacts