Northland Group IncDebt Collection

They first send a letter, Letter shows past due account balance. Also shows settlement offer (close ot half oforignally showed due). I called the contact number and the representative says thats the due showing agianst my social (!!!). She syas she can make an update/correction ( no idea what kind of update/correction they can make) but asked to send USPS mail (!!!???). When you first called, she also says the conversation is recorded, anything can be used against ____ ___ ___. No idea what it really is.

When asked about the record/ debt/ merchannt, they do not have any answers, they just say its hsowing as Xcel??
She does n't even know what is Xcel? when and why it appears??

It could be a scam and they give heart attacks and waste our time

• Mo
    moonpies Dec 03, 2011

I should clarify that YOU should send them a Debt Verification letter, my mistake.

here is a template you can print and use:

• Mo
    moonpies Dec 03, 2011

demand a Debt Verification letter, and tell them to provide proof the debt is yours.

Also, how old is the debt? This company is a bottom-feeder and will try to collect on debts that are out of the Statute of Limitations if you aren't careful.

• Do
    Donnie Vashir Dec 02, 2011

You should get a document in writing from them sent by US Mail saying exactly what you owe and what for. Do not take their statements over the telephones as fact. Excel is a microsoft spreadsheet and nothing more.

• Ti
    Tina-Secretary Nov 05, 2008

We opened a brand new office in a small town. Unfortunately, we chose an old number. Apparently a customer referred to the Northland Group for debt collection. The phone calls went from 1 a week to a few times a week. I didn't mind, that's my job, to answer the phones. Then I got a Customer Service person to beat them all. He asked for the lady, I told him that we were a business and she doesn't work here and never has. He told me that if "you would shut your mouth, I could give you another name she goes by". I told him to kiss my %&*#, which was a knee jerk reaction I admit. Perhaps I'm not used to being spoken that way to (we are in the South, ha). He laughed and laughed, telling me that "we'll keep calling you until we get different information". What a JERK!!

I have complained to their email addresses and got zilch for responses. The phone still continue, about one a week. They even ask if I know her, how dumb is that? We are a business! I have repeatedly told them to take us off their call list and they still continue! Unprofessional...

• Ng
    ngn Aug 22, 2008

I received a letter from Northland Group saying i had won 100, 000 USD from a canadian lottery. they then sent me a $ 3, 550 check to cash and pay alleged tax charges for the winnings. Of course i've never entered the lottery, leave alone one in Canada, so i looked up the company and sure enough here the company is... with tons of lawsuits up their back...

i suppose they'd have taken a similar, if not more money from my account if i had tried to cash the check... buggers!!

watch out everyone