NET10beware of net10!

I bought a Net10 prepaid phone costing $79.87 and a $30, nonrefundable prepaid minutes card so that my family could get in touch with me when I'm not home. I activated the service online but found that even though I was asked my zip code and typed the correct code, I was given a long distance phone number for this area by Net10. Now, even though I have a cel phone, none of my friends or family can call me without being charged long distance fees. I checked Net10's terms of use and it simply said that I had to accept the number I was given, which I was more than happy to do, but there was no mention that this number could be a long distance exchange. I tried calling Net10 customer service with this issue but found it to be a series of recordings. The only actual people I could get on the line were tech support from an outsource company in India. The tech support operator, after researching the issue simply apologized for the inconvenience and told me that there was no way they could assign me a new number. This is despite the fact that Net10 offers a feature to transfer your number from a preexisting cell or home phone, so I know they have the capability. I asked to speak to a supervisor but was repeatedly put on hold. I never spoke to any supervisor and and have since filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I spent $117 all totaled and Walmart will only let me exchange the phone for a like model as it's been opened, the card is nonrefundable and I'm stuck with a phone plan that I can't use.

Mary Feb 05, 2008

New Phone activated 02/04/2017. Someone else's name shows up on caller ID. Spent four hours with tech support. Each time assuring problem was resolved. Only change made was ANOTHER man's name on my phone. At one point was cut off by a tech after being on the phone for over 30 minutes. Net10 can offer no solution - won't give me name of company executive or contact. Did speak with a "floor supervisor" who said she had changes and it should be fine. Not so. I have wasted $60 on a trac phone. They offer no relief. Plan to continue complaints with better business bureau, Wal Mart (where I purchased phone), Nokia, and my local news station. DON"T BUY FROM NET 10. NOT CONVENIENT - NOT EASY - NOTHING BUT A HEAD ACHE.

• Lg
    LGbassett May 11, 2008

Company used to provide 6 months service when you added minutes from any type card. Without notifying their customers they changed it to 1 month for every 100 minutes added.
    They don't tell you this so be aware they are ripping you off.

• Da
    davis Nov 10, 2008

verizons did the same i had a pay as you go plane with verizons and the took it away when they said that i had a year to actavate the phone if it ran out
    and they changed it to 90 days without telling anyone
    the they want to sell you there stupied new plan at a dollar a day to use it plus the 10 cents a min

for 1.00 a day pluss 10 cents is brain dead
    ( verizons pay as you go plan)
    and only works in certain areas and not everywhere

net ten works almost everywhere
    with out roaming fees

i like net ten for 10 cents across the board and if i add time it keeps going with the expo data so in 3 of 4 months you could have up to a year or more

the only thing about net 10 is there customer service sucks
    they do not understand English very well and so some times you
    get frustrated, if so just hang up and call back some times 5 to 10 times till you get someone that understands you

• Ac
    access2000wiz Feb 14, 2009

Net 10 Air Time costs - not always 10 cents per minute!
    ---------------------

If you are paying more then
    $15 per every 30 days of service
    then that is a very bad deal!

months: = 30 days / 30 = 1 month
    cost (@ $15/mo) = 1 month x $15 = $15
    Should only be paying $15.
    Net 10 wants to charge you $20 - Bad deal!

months: = 60 days / 30 = 2 months

Two years: = 720 days / 30 = 24 months
    cost (@ $15/mo) = 24 months x $15 = $360
    You should only be paying $360
    Net 10 wants to charge you $400 - bad deal

Conclusion:
    -----------
    You should only buy the following air-time cards: $30, $45 or $60

• Ac
    access2000wiz Feb 14, 2009

Net 10 Air Time costs - not always 10 cents per minute!
    This is false advertising!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

If you are paying more then
    $15 per every 30 days of service
    then that is a very bad deal!

months: = 30 days / 30 = 1 month
    cost (@ $15/mo) = 1 month x $15 = $15
    Should only be paying $15.
    Net 10 wants to charge you $20 - Bad deal!

months: = 60 days / 30 = 2 months

Two years: = 720 days / 30 = 24 months
    cost (@ $15/mo) = 24 months x $15 = $360
    You should only be paying $360
    Net 10 wants to charge you $400 - bad deal

Conclusion:
    ----------------
    You should only buy the following air-time cards: $30, $45 or $60

AggravatedGestalt Feb 24, 2009

It is so.

• Aa
    aamcguy Mar 17, 2009

Where everything you say is correct, it is not correct in regards to the price per minute. EVERY SINGLE BUNDLE involved 10 cents per minute.

You seem to be getting 10 cents per minute confused with the cost per month. As the number of minutes per card rises, the TIME that you have to use them still rises, but does so slower. So you are paying the same per minute, but you are paying--and getting--more minutes per month.

Matthew55904 May 01, 2009

this is BS if you are on NET10s Easy Minutes and are on the $15 plan it will be 16.20 a month EXACTLY this IS 10c a minuter NET10 doesnt charge 20 bucks it is 16.20 for taxes and the 911 service fee that is period. it is more expencive using the cards then using easy minutes.

• Ro
    roror Jun 27, 2009

net10s ads say 5c per text to and from and 10c a minute for every minute.those c's do have a line through them.just like a cent sign.they claim i misread the ads.well guess what??the ad then says 300 minutes totals 5 hours of talking time or 600 texts.so yeah i read it wrong.b/c i didn't do the math myself.my question is why do they say .10 per minute and .05 per text in the first place.its simply a deceptive practice.perhaps a c with a line through it means something else in another country.in America i thought it meant a cent sign.

• Rm
    R M Jul 15, 2009

I have loved my inexpensive alternative for almost SIX years now. I have endured the giggles about, as my friends call it, the fossil of a C155 Moto. Trying to replace it, after almost six years has been a nightmare.

I did my due diligence, I did my online research, and then called to confirm I would be ok to buy my friends old phone and they SENT me a SIM for it! When the SIM had arrived and I had PURCHASED the other phone, that is when I was told it would not work. I requested to speak with a supervisor and was denied and then eventually hung up on.

Disheartened, I turned to the INTERNET! I found all sorts of GREAT info!! There is a corporate office in Miami, FL, and they do have a telephone number.

The first representative I spoke with was, in comparison, helpful and polite. She understood my investment in this whole mess both from a consumer point of view and from the finical side of it. She offered me a replacement phone and said it would ship to me free of charge. I was ELATED!! I called my friends and family to tell them I was entering the new age of cell phones!

So, I live in a secure complex, and I am proactive, so I called the corporate customer service center again for the tracking number in hopes of receiving the same level of service. I called and asked for the tracking number for the parcel and was told, "Yea, you should have it this afternoon!" That is where the representative attempted to terminate the call. I requested that he stand by for a moment as I verified the information on the web portal for the delivery service. He became combative and wanted off the phone REAL BAD. As the web portal for the delivery service verified he was FLAT OUT LIEING! There was NO WAY I could have received the phone the same day it shipped via two-day air. Yep, it had just been picked up from their office earlier in the afternoon. At this point I, knowing I was being lied to asked for a supervisor. He refused to let me speak with a supervisor and then hung up on me. I called back; the call was answered and disconnected with out one word. I called back, spoke with a another representative was very apologetic and requested a replay of the past two weeks prior to doing what I asked, being transferred to a supervisor.

As this was happening on the phone, I started researching other ways to contact them. I read forums, blogs, PDFs, but I digress. Now, I was able to locate the Personal Cell number to the CEO. I will explain that in further detail below.

I called him and was greeted with SHOCK and AWE. He was so sorry, and asked if he could have a couple of the people who report to him give me a call to resolve the matter. They did and I explained AGAIN (they really should invest in call tracking software). They gave me their word they would make it right. I felt reassured, and left it with them to address the treatment I had received. They assured me the phone was shipped and I would have it in a couple of days and apologized again. Advised me to contact them directly if I required any further assistance.

That afternoon, the phone I had in my hand, the C155, stopped working. I could not communicate, they terminated the phone, I looked at my clock, and it was 2:15 PT and that means, 5:15 ET. My heart sank. I called with false hope, knowing I would reach no one at that time. When I called their direct lines and received no response, I called the CEO again. He got one of them to call me and "fix" the problem.

ALL I WANTED WAS A PHONE I COULD SEE THE NUMBERS ON!

They contacted me and then I was informed there is a service that terminate the old phone when the new one ships. So, they turn it back on, and then because they did not correct the "Airtime Card Due Date, ” I lost my service at midnight.

I had called the associate that had helped get the phone and left a VM.

The next morning my phone started beeping and I was not touching it. Apparently, they were turning it back on again.

So, the new phone shows up, and yea, they do not even sell it any longer. They sent me a discontinued phone. Nevertheless, hey they sent me a phone, and were trying to help. I was taken through set up, and activated the new phone while on the phone with one of the Tracfone people.

Then once off the phone, I found it. New Phone, new technology, NEW RATES!! Apparently, the plan is not based on the customer using it but the type of phone being used.

So now, I have a phone that is falling apart, a very nice $150.00 USD paperweight, and a new phone that is discontinued and costs TWICE as much to use.

I was very not happy about this. It has been two weeks with no hope of resolution. So, I called the CEO and explained one more time. He promised to help and find resolution. One of his subordinates contacted me and I was threatened with legal action as he was telling me he wanted to achieve resolution. I must not call his number again or they will pursue legal action, so is there any way to resolve this. When I informed him I found THE CEO'S PERSONAL CELL NUMBER on line in another complaint, he stated he would share the information with their legal team.

To prevent legal action against myself from a company I am paying for services, I have not included the numbers. My hope is, you will choose ANY OTHER SERVICE and never need to be exposed to the two frustrating weeks of DEPLOREABLE SERVICE that end in threats of legal action.

I am a customer and this is nowhere near service.

• Ed
    EdwF87 Nov 19, 2009

I recently bought a Net10 phone. I was on the phone over 4 hours trying to get voice mail turned on. I burned up around 40 minutes on my Net10 phone trying to get voice mail to work. The 4 hours was on my friend cell phone. Net10 will not answer my e-mail. All I want is Net10 to put the 40 minutes back on my phone. I don't know what the problem is. I feel like they are ignoring me. Any help will be appreciated.

• Do
    dogzilla321 Feb 28, 2010

my phone locked its self .I took out the batery, i tuned it off and back on, i even took the phone apart and put it back together.It wanted me to enter my PUK or call SOS i dont know what eather of thoes are, so i called SOS, foundout it was 911 after that i tried to call my own phone, wouldnt let me do that eather, so ya i am cind of mad

• Ri
    RickyBobby Mar 31, 2010

Very strange that you do not like net10, i have had nothing but great service with the company. I actually just wrote to Walmart and thanked them for having the Net10 phones available. I once had a problem where my net10 phone wouldn't turn on. I called Net10's customer service and although the man who i talked to had a minor accent, he helped me figure out my problem really fast.

• imjustme May 14, 2010

PUK is your PIN Unblocking Key. Lockouts happen when someone messes around in the phones settings without knowing what they are doing. Try using the PIN. and you know...don't leave your phone unattended.

• 34
    3467 Jun 22, 2010

They just permanent disable my phone which I still 240 mins and 8 days service. I call them couple of time. They said I need buy new phone, in case I can restart the phone call. I have been waited 9 weeks to waiting to make my international function works. Be careful to use the service. It’s so frusttract!

• Co
    cowb Jul 09, 2010

i have a samsung net10 trackphone and dont know the phone lock and i was woundering if you guys would know it.

• Co
    cowb Jul 09, 2010

i have a samsung net10 trackphone and i was woundering if you could happen to no it.

• Er
    Eric E Aug 27, 2010

I have been over-charged for airtime purchases. The C/S people at this company work in the Phillippines and can hardly speak English, let alone be able to understand them. When you tell them they cannot be understood, they hang up on you, or put your call back in the queue to wait more time. A supervisor only tells you that their charges are set by the computers. When asked to be connected to a person in the US they hang up again. I am looking for another wireless service. We need to take back our jobs from these people. DO NOT USE NET10 (Tracphone) if you support jobs for true Americans.

• Ka
    KARISHORE Feb 21, 2011

We have 5 ne10 cell phones. Had this service for 2 + years and the coverage was fantastic! However, now, all 5 of the phones became inoperable at the very same time... no service... emergency service only, restriction 34... on the phone with net10 for 2 hours and 45 minutes... literally could not understand me. Spoke to me in English, but did not understand English... none of the phones are fixed... don't know if they lost coverage in my area... they charged us all on the 15th (re-occurring monthly minutes charge) on our phones and they still do not work! No one at net10 helps. I have made a request ticket (s) online... only to get an email stating to "click here" to be directly taken back to the net10 web site to do the exact same thing as I did before... create a ticket...

• Pr
    pricetech Mar 27, 2011

Are you basing the cost on what the display shows after each call / text ?? The display is not showing you money, it's showing you time. 0.50 means one half minute, not fifty cents.
    Net10's so called support should do a much better job of explaining that. A note on the website wouldn't hurt either.
    Having said that, I'm still in my own nightmare with net10, which is hopefully coming to an end since I finally was able to move my airtime to a cheap featureless phone that at least does work so it can be used up.
    Even though they would have been much cheaper for me since I don't use a phone a lot, my current contract looks a lot better after the grief I got from net10

• Pi
    pissed off 1000 x over Apr 16, 2011

Hay People donot deal with net 10 nor buying phone cards from 7/11 unless u want hours of agro...
    bought a card at 7/11 for net 10n phone, scratched off the numbers with the cardboard, only first and last set of numbers readable of the 3 sets.
    Went immeditley back to store they would not help at all, no refund!!!
    On phone today already four phone calls total of 1 hour 15 min. and to no solution. RIP OFF!!! the numbers on the card other then the set numbers donot match any thing of reference to what net 10n says is necessary.
    net ten has me call back mang of seven 11, he is just as bad, and says he has no other numbers but what is on my reciept. Nobody will give me the credit for my phone...So now I have to call the bank and cancel the charge.
    Also there is no mananger at net 10 in George Town, which net 10 is located at Gianna, central Am. even though the president of the company lives in Miami!!!

Sandyann Sep 09, 2011

I paid 60.00 for a Net 10 phone-it started to power down all the time so I sat on hold for 25 min with customer service. I was told they would send new phone-I told them I had to have same phone number. I was told it would have that-no it came with new number. My ads have my old cell number. Again I call cs and am on hold for over 30 min I finally get an agent. I told them how important it was that I had old number-they said no problem-after 40 min she said it was fixed. She said wait 1 hr and turn phone on and it will be fixed. It wasn't I called back again on hold again and 40 min later another person says they can fix it. I was on phone again and after 1 hr said it was fixed-it wasn't !!! I then called next day same thing on hold 40 min then a man tells me he doesn't know why they said they could fix I needed a new sim card and he would send it to me-it came 5 days later and when I put in phone said defective! Now they said they would send another sim card after being on hold 45 min and on phone 1 hr. Now I try to use existing phone and it says emerg calls only! So I called to get refund-I will have to send by return receipt at my cost. Are you kidding me. Even then he said no guaranty of refund they will review my case. As I am typing this I am still on phone with a cs manager for over 2 hrs! It has cost me lost business calls, no phone and hours of work time, not to mention my nerves are shot.

• Li
    lilmizangie21 Jul 25, 2013

I sent this message to the net 10 service people and was told that the issue would be resolved through pm. Haven't gotten a message yet...

I have been having trouble with my net10 phone for the last week. First it started out that I couldn't receive messages. Then when that was fixed all of a sudden I had to re-register my phone. Then just yesterday my phone came up with the message:process com. Android. Email has stopped unexpectedly with a box saying force close. When I tried restarting it, it would only show a green circle and nothing more. To stop that I had to take the battery out. When I called customer service I was told to reset my phone which made me lose all my data including my numbers, pictures, apps, etc. It worked just fine until I restarted my phone today. And the green circle reappeared! Again I reset my phone but this is starting to piss me off! I don't want to have to do this every time my phone restarts! This needs to get fixed soon or I am going to stop being a customer and recommend to friends and family to find a different service. My phone is only 2 and 1/2 months old, it should not be having these problems!!!

• Mi
    mindyl Oct 05, 2014

This is how Net10 treats customers- dont help you and then end chat sessions before issue is even resolved!
    [01:59 PM] Felice: Good day! My name is Felice. How may I assist you?
    [02:00 PM] mindy: need you to update my phones I have been receiving the same msgs over and over since yesterday

[02:01 PM] Felice: What specific messages you received?

[02:01 PM] mindy: text messages from my sister over and over 15 times

[02:02 PM] mindy: she sent it once

[02:02 PM] Felice: Okay.

[02:02 PM] mindy: same is happening on the other phone number listed

[02:03 PM] Felice: Please give me a moment while I work on your account.

[02:03 PM] mindy: ok

[02:03 PM] Felice: Please leave the phones turned on.

[02:03 PM] mindy: ok

[02:10 PM] mindy: .

[02:13 PM] mindy: hello

[02:14 PM] Felice: I'm still updating the phones. Please bear with me.

[02:14 PM] mindy: ok just checking im still connected

[02:16 PM] Felice: Okay.

[02:16 PM] Felice: Please turn the phones on and let your sister send you a text message.

[02:17 PM] Felice: Let me know if issue is solved.

[02:17 PM] mindy: ok

[02:21 PM] mindy: I just restarted my phone and received same txt from yesterday from her

[02:22 PM] Felice: Have you tried resetting the phones?

[02:22 PM] mindy: resetting how?

[02:24 PM] Felice: Please give me a moment while I pull up that information.

[02:24 PM] mindy: also it has been taking a long time to respond to anyone who texts

[02:26 PM] Felice: May I have the address where you are pyhsically located?

[02:26 PM] mindy: another txt just came through from yesterday over and over and over same message???

[02:26 PM] Felice: We will check the coverage.

[02:27 PM] mindy: 1609 w 30th

[02:27 PM] mindy: Sioux city ia 51103

[02:28 PM] Felice: There's no outage reported on your area.

[02:29 PM] Felice: Can you please go to Menu > System Settings?

[02:29 PM] Felice: Press and slide your finger up the screen to reveal more options.

[02:30 PM] Felice: Please check if you see the option " Master Clear".

[02:30 PM] mindy: wont that get rid of everything?

[02:31 PM] Felice: Yes, it will.

[02:32 PM] Felice: You have to back up your contacts and important files by transferring them to the memory card.

[02:32 PM] mindy: I don't want to do that--- I tried check now for updates and it says last update not updated yet how do I update

[02:34 PM] mindy: i just received msgs from 10 this morning its now 12:30

[02:36 PM] mindy: i am trying the reset i hope i can get all my information back

[02:37 PM] mindy: how do i update the phones- you guys always send a msg to go to the link we go to it and it does nothing?

[02:38 PM] Felice: Try to go to Menu > System Settings > About Phone > Software Update.

[02:39 PM] Felice: Tap check now for Software Update.

[02:39 PM] Felice: If an update is available, wait for the update to complete, then tap "OK".

[02:40 PM] mindy: i did that and it said i had the latest os but then it says not updated below that?

[02:40 PM] Felice: Sorry, we cannot update our branded phone's software.

[02:41 PM] Felice: Have you reset the phone already?

[02:42 PM] mindy: so my operating system is outdated?

[02:42 PM] Felice: We understand that.

[02:42 PM] Felice: Have you reset the phone already?

[02:42 PM] mindy: im in the process of resetting thru google

[02:44 PM] mindy: so your saying i should buy a non net10 branded phone to be able to update?

[02:45 PM] Felice: The Software of our NET10 branded phones cannot be updated.

[02:46 PM] mindy: ok i reset but i only see half my contacts what do i do now?

[02:48 PM] Felice: I already told you to back up them first.

[02:50 PM] mindy: i did i checked back up my date to google and automatic restore but all my info is not there?

[02:53 PM] Felice: There's nothing we can do with that.

[02:53 PM] Felice: Please let your sister send you a text message and check if issue is solved.

[02:54 PM] mindy: this is ridiculous i don't even have her number on here now thanks

[02:55 PM] Felice: Anyway, they have your phone number.

[02:55 PM] Felice: They can still text you.

[02:55 PM] mindy: how do you want me to contact her??????????????????/!!!

[02:56 PM] Felice: You can try to check her phone number on the other phone.

• Na
    Nancy Harpsterh Nov 07, 2014

Tried to contact Net10 as well..nGO NO WHERE WITH CHAT SESSION, REP ADDED, LOST, TO BUSY AT THIS TINE PLEASE WAIT..REPEATED ..WAS A JOKE TRYING TO USE THE CHAT SYSTEM...MY PHONE GOT DEACTIVATED AND PAID MORE UPON CALLING TO REACTIVATE MY PHONE..SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN DEACTIVATED ANYWAY AS THIS WAS TO REFILL MY SERVICE BEFORE DEACTIVATING...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices