Napster / Rhapsody International Logo

Napster / Rhapsody International

Having problems with Napster / Rhapsody International?

701 5th Avenue, Suite 3100
Seattle, Washington
Germany
Stephanstraße 5, 60313 Frankfurt, Germany

Brazil
Rua Samuel Morse, 74, Conj 181, Brooklin - São Paulo - Brasil 04576-060

Complaints & Reviews

Rip-Off /Horrible Customer Care

My daughter subscribed to a free trial offer from Rhapsody music when she received her first MP3 player, Christmas of 2008. She couldn't load any songs on to her player, so she never used the service (she thought she had cancelled the service during the trial period). Not realizing that we were paying for a service that was not being used, we saw the monthly charges to our account for more than a year. Rhapsody never sent any communications, electronic or otherwise, so my daughter was unaware that the account was active. When we finally realized what was happening, we contacted the credit card company to dispute the charges and cancel the service. The credit card company instructed us to contact Rhapsody to cancel the account and request a refund for the time allowed (120 days). After 3 lengthy, extremely frustrating phone conversations, we were informed that, since we had contacted the bank first, instead of coming directly to Rhapsody, our account was locked and they couldn't refund us any money. The bank/credit card company informed us that the dispute issue was closed according to their records, and we were to inform Rhapsody that they would not refuse a reversal of charges. (The "your account is locked" was a deception that I pointed out to them -- they tried to make it seen that the bank was preventing them from reversing charges.)

Rhapsody has a spiteful and dishonest policy, and customer care is further damaged by having to deal with ineffective and clueless workers in another country -- it was often hard to understand the employees.

I see at this site, that complaints against Rhapsody are numerous.

• Dp
    dps1010 Apr 26, 2010

MMMmmmmm
    Let us take look at this issue and why you seem to think someone else should be responsible for you or your daughter's miss management of there accounts.
    The glaring admission that you saw your account (probably credit card) was charged for over a year.
    So what happen to the first month you saw the charge on the card. Oh wait you didn't look at the bill, ignored it, or simply did not teach your daughter the responsibility of reviewing her bills. Either way I believe this had nothing do with company yet the lack of responsibility on you and your daughter.
    I have been using Rhapsody for years and music match before it was Rhapsody and had no issues because anytime I sign up for an online account that requires a credit card I review every month to ensure everything is correct.
    I will agree about the foreign support or outsourcing support to other countires. More jobs shipped over sea even if by wire.

jaminoli May 15, 2010

As I have discovered, extra tracks means less than original album and maybe
    one other unidentifiable track so, I want a full copy of my purchased albums With or without the so called extra crap. So, I expect one of these options: Complete albums or complete refund, one or the other, ether would satisfy me, however neither will not so you decide do you want a battle on your hands or not. Most of my downloads were of the Doors however those that were not came off without a hitch. When I say unidentifiable, it wasn't on the original album and that is my main interest, the original album.

Disgruntled Client
    Ben Polinger
    [email protected]

• Re
    redeemer44 Dec 16, 2010

In legal land these type of agreements are called "Tied sales agreement/contracts." Since they are small amount and given that virtually all of the consumer protection laws in the U.S. have been shut off these companies can run rampant and o what they want to do. I avoid them like the plague. I publish a vacation/travel newletter with 20K subscribes and I tell them to stay clear of firms like Rhapsody.

• Db
    DBinford Jan 02, 2012

Try cancelling a subscription to Rhapsody before you blame it on the consumer.
    after 3 phone calls to customer service and talking to people you could barely understand and emails from them telling you that subscription was cancelled and money would be credited back to bank account and wasn't for over a month and a half. They even tried telling me my banking info was wrong, And it wasn't. I finally fired off an email to the company threatening them with filing a complaint to the Attorney General. Money was back in my bank account the next morning.

Deceptive Offers

I joined Napster after looking at a 7-day trial membership offer claiming I would only be charged $5 / month only after the 7 days. Within a couple days my account charged over $60.00 for an entire year's membership.

When I finally found a customer service phone number on their website and waited for over 20 minutes to speak to a person they told me I had authorized the payment and would not refund the fees.

Every time I downloaded a supposedly free trial membership song their were no less than 4 windows before downloading the song; their must have been some authorization window, right?

At best the site is vague or ambiguous, but I think it's deliberate. Anyone want to start a class-action?
Jason Walker
[protected]@yahoo.com

Cancelled in in August

Cancelled Rhapsody and removed it from my computer. I am still being billed $12.99 on my credit card. Please adjust and take my name off of your account.

jaminoli May 17, 2010

Call your bank and make cancelled any further payment, after all its your money they are making off with and see if your bank can rescue any of those funds. [email protected]

• Do
    DocAnchovy Mar 26, 2014

Rhapsody sucks. Their "support" staff is all farmed offshore to India and there's nothing I dislike more than some guy in Dehli telling me his name is "Johnny." They recently changed their interface too and it blows dead bears. They "lost" my entire library of Playlists. I went to Spotify. For half the price, I'm getting better quality sound and haven't had any "issues" with them as yet.

Charged 3 months after online cancellation

I investigated an online account with Rhapsody on a trial basis. Exceptionally easy to set up on line. Found that the service did not work for me with my current mp3 player, and attempted to cancel the trial on the same day. I quickly discovered the convenience for cancellation was not there. No online cancellation URL was present, I needed to call a phone line, which I did. I was instructed that there was a new url that account members could use to cancel online. So, I entered that URL and completed the cancellation process. Or so I thought. Turns out we have been billed the last 3 months for the service. Today I called in to complain and cancel. Though I went through the proper channels to cancel the service, since I did not have a confirmation number (their system failed to send one when I submitted the e-mail), I was on the hook for the charges. They finally caved in on one month, but I don't consider that to be equitable. I would strongly encourage you to think twice before accepting a "free trial" of Rhapsody.

Cancelling Membership

RHAPSODY monthly unlimited offer is a SCAM and so is their cancellation policy. RHAPSODY purposely makes it...

Free trial

They offered a 14 day free trial. I couldn't find information on the free trial so I proceeded to sign up. When I found out it required a months purchase I clicked out of the page. By that time I had given my credit card info. They never sent an e-mail verifing my purchase so I had no idea I had signed up until my credit card statement came in the mail. Unfortunately I missed the billing on the previous statement so I had payed for 2 months of service. When I called them to cancel they would only credit me for the third month they were about to bill me even though you could go onto the site and see I had never used it. Its a complete scam.

unauthorized charges

i did not authorize any charges on my card for rhapsody music and they charged anyways.i would like to get my...

Unauthorized charges

Purchased online music download for $10.99 through the Rhapsody client software. The download did not begin and my account information did not reflect the purchase or a failed download.

I re-attempted the process, which began the download and completed successfully. Upon checking my statement, I noticed that I had been billed twice. I contacted the company 5 times through chat and phone conversations. They initially claimed that it was a pending state and would drop off from my bank... which can happen, so I waited.

The transaction committed and I contacted them again, which led to several arguements of them saying that their records do not reflect a second purchase - implying that I am either ignorant or that I am attempting some type of scam - never, ever making an effort to research their application for fault.

I escalated until I finally found a supervisor that was US based, which takes more than an hour of speaking to people that are literally turning pages and giving me that same story and wasting my time. (I have to do this each time I call, by the way)

While waiting for the last supervisor - I called my bank security to file a claim on my cell. I had 2 phones on speaker and they both answered at the same time. I allowed the Rhapsody supervisor to hear the bank security rep confirm the second charge and initiated a charge back. The Rhapsody rep didn't really care about my wasted time, my frustration or the current state of the fiasco... and informed me that they could'nt just service me as a customer and save my time or research the issue and call me back. All they can do is fraudently charge me and not deal with the issue. AWESOME!!!

THEY CAN CHARGE YOU, BUT CONVENIENTLY NOT SEE THE CHARGE IN THEIR RECORDS AND THEY WILL NOT BUDGE TO FIGURE OUT THEIR OWN MISTAKE. THEY INFORMED ME THAT THIS IS THEIR ACCEPTED COURSE OF ACTION.

fraudulent credit card charges

Chase fraud department called to inquire if I charged $1 on Napster, which I did not. Seems this is such a...

billing after cancelling program

I telephoned RN Rhapsody Music two or three months ago to cancel service. I removed program from my computer...

illegal deduction of funds from my account

i was charged 38.00 for something that i never ordered and i want the money put back onto my account before i...

Overcharged!

While reconciling our checkbook for the year we had noticed that Napster has been double charging our account...

Automatically billed for services I did not order

I have a subscription to Rhapsody. It is paid for automatically on my American Express Card. When reviewing...

Cancellation

I can't believe how difficult it is to try to cancel the free 7-day trial its absolutely ridiculous. The instructions tell you to sign in then click on my account in the top left hand corner select account status and billing menu then SIMPLY chose the change membership option. Believe you me there is NOTHING SIMPLE about this process, i can't even get signed in never mind anything else. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS
A warning to anyone thinking of trying the Free Trial then cancelling BE AFRAID VERY AFRAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Jackson Oct 31, 2008

Sir
    I am so anoid that you are still taking money from me. I have cancelled, i have never used your service. I cancelled.I would like a refund of money.My id is;692850830

mr Jackson..

• Pa
    pamintenn May 18, 2009

I agree took me fours tries and about a 40 minute wait. they dont answer so you will hang up and they can charge you. I refused to hang up until they refunded my 14.95

Terrible cancellation process

I tried to cancel online. They give you an 800 number to call that has a 30+ minute wait no matter when you call. I am still on hold with them for the second time (had to abandon the first one after 30 minutes because other things in life won't wait that long :().

There has to be a law against this. I do not have to talk to anyone to join but have to waste a few hours of my life listening to this absurd repetition of how much they will help me resolve any problems I have with them. The problem I have with you is that you are keeping your customers by force!

BBB and AG next. Seems like I have a lot of time available to complain!

• De
    Denise Barella Mar 28, 2007

Napster are nothing but complete rip off merchants, stay clear of this company all together.

• Za
    zanelli Jul 02, 2008

I have tried numerous ways to cancel my free trail with napster. All the help functions on their site gives instructions on how to cancel online. There are no such prompts everytime I tried to follow the prompts it ends with a business phone # that closes eatern standard time. The help funtion is very misleading.

• Gl
    Glen Cotney Nov 27, 2008

I have been trying to cancel napster for several months and this evening i found the phone number to do just that, im over the moon and thought i would share this amazing find to all those as unfortunate as me.
    The number is england 02073651079.
    I hope this helps!!

• La
    LauraOctavia Nov 12, 2010

i found the number for cancelation straight away in my account information and clicking on cancel my account! it gave me the number that glen has written. i phoned it and my call was answered within 8 and a half minutes! they canelled it and its done! so i dont understand all this confusion! however i do agree that phoning to cancel is wrong ... i have a big problem about phoning people you could call it a phobia so its taken me weeks to get up the courage and ring haha! i do think its also a massive ripoff! i thought it was 15 downloads a month but on my account it clearly said all mp3s are renewed every 3 MONTHS wtf!!! complete ripoff i will never use them again!

Stay clear of their company at all costs!

I joined napster about a year ago, upon trying to sign-on to download music, it wouldn't let me into my account. About a week later I gave up after e-mailing them for help, the e-mails I received were generic at best, basically it said I had something set improperly in my P.C.

So I did what anyone else would do and cancel the free trial, well, I received an e-mail saying I had to do it in person over the phone, I e-mailed back stating it was all set-up via internet and I should be able to cancel via internet, so just cancel the subscription. Fast forward about one year later, I was checking my online bank statement and noticed a charge from napster, they were still charging my account and I didn't even notice! So I wrote them a nasty e-mail saying to cancel my account or I will seek legal help in the matter. Surprise, surprise, I get an e-mail saying they were sorry to see me go but they will cancel it, but then I check my online bank statement and they charged me again for their service, well I think I'm going to have the bank investigate it after all and contact the consumer protection. You see, I never used their service because I could never get it to work or a person from their company to help me, so I'm not paying for services not rendered or used, especially since I asked to cancel and they ignored my request and charged me anyway, napster is a scam in my opinion, stay clear of their company at all costs.

What a useless pain!

Napster has the most difficult if not impossible automated voice system I have ever encountered. I've been trying to call because my free MP3 player's shipment keeps getting delayed, but I can't talk to a person to save my own life.

The automated voice, which is grating, reads directly from the web-site and refers me to [protected]@napster.com, which refers me BACK to the 1-800 number. And don't even try pressing zero to talk to an operator, he just starts his message over and eventually hangs up.

If you dare to navigate the menu, you are treated to a list of FAQs and other generic topics taken word-for-word from the web-site, and then hung up on when he is done talking. Fantastic.

What to do if I am calling because my problem exists outside of the "hear your payment history" option? Who writes his script? How out of touch are they?

It took me eight tries of random button-pushing to get through to someone, who promptly told me that, although I was under the "technical support" menu, he could help with anything from billing to shipping to Shop Napster. What, then, is the point of the automated voice system?

The fact that the automated voice menu features a "cancel your subscription" option alone proves that people are reconsidering Napster altogether.
What a useless pain!

• Valerie Dec 27, 2006

I joined napster about a year ago, upon trying to sign-on to download music, it wouldn't let me into my account. About a week later I gave up after e-mailing them for help, the e-mails I recieved were generic at best, basically it said I had something set improperly in my P.C.

• Tp
    TPay Aug 07, 2019

Someone made a charge with my credit card for this company I've never heard of and I had to cancel my card. At the least it's really inconvenient but fortunately I don't have to pay for it.

• Je
    Jessica bean Smith Oct 07, 2019

Have had pending charges and cant get money back off card... ? How do i make sure my card is not being used by some1 or cancle payment if not on my account

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices