Mfi Family Ancestry / Ancestry.comCredit card fraud!

S

I have a complaint about MFI family ancestry. (Aka ancestry.com) The funny thing is I have NEVER heard of these people and would never pay through a web page to find out who my ancestors were. I could care less. I am a college student and do not have extra money to be spending on frivolous things such as this. I want to know who and how they got my credit card number and why in the world they would use it to find dead relatives? Why not buy something useful like food or electronics?

The amount of $35.79 has been charged twice to my account. I called my bank and they said that they cannot do anything until it posts to my account; yet, that money is STILL be deducted from my account. I do NOT have the extra money in my account to support this. However, I did do some searching and found multiple reports of credit card fraud involving MFI*myfamily/ancestry. How are these people allowed to remain in business? More importantly, what can I do to make these people pay for my troubles? Advise smb!

Sincerely,
Sarah.

• Ve
    veronica laursen-allan (v.d. lance) Nov 12, 2018

at matches, email doesn't work. Can't enter any info in the context box.

• Rm
    Rmarvit Sep 01, 2018

Did not receive my dna kit. Calls were hung up. Multiple requests to cancel account were given the run around.

• 80
    808 nice guy Sep 01, 2018

Acestory shipped my DNA kit by UPS to be delivered to USPS for delivery. I live in Hawaii and the shopping process will take over a month. UPS placed the DNA kit in a container then shipped it by container ship. They claimed there was a delay shipping. I purchased the kit on November 25 and now will not receive in time for Christmas.

• Tom faulkner,

you catagorically claimed not to be elemental yet you have uploaded letters addressed to him,

i dont expect an honest answer but are you steve jones?
    come on just once, tell the truth,

wow, the plot thickeness, to think, for an outsider you actually looked a victim, the more we look at this the worse it gets for you and your friends/alias's. and steves if thats not you anyway.

speak soon

• El
    Elemental May 23, 2011

Test document load

• Re
    Responsible Customer Jul 17, 2010

IF you post your credit card number to a website to discover your family details, you are charged after the free trial period.

These sites dont MAGICALLY discover your credit card number and charge you.

You need to grow up and manage your finances. Your credit card number was supplied BY YOU DURING THE SIGN-UP PROCESS.

Read the terms and conditions.

And then grow up. Stop blaming others for your own mistake.

Such a strange coincidence that all these complaints are from American Customers...

Yeah well. If your stupid that will never change.

• Jm
    jmcaudill May 14, 2021

@Responsible Customer It auto-renewed my subscription with an expired credit card. I was told by customer service that this is their grace period and they could still bill after expiration. If you want to be a troll, know what company you are dealing with first. If you are not an active member or had a membership issue from them, then why are you here?

• Ta
    taborske Jan 08, 2010

add me to the list. They initiated an automatically recurring monthly charge (though, 1st three months were not the same, $40, $26, $30...) and I have NEVER heard of them, never been to their website. Calling them is a joke. Mr. Friendly says "oh no..." and transfers you to fraud dept. "We are unable to answer y6ur call right now, but if you leave your name and number..."

The bummer is that the only way to get rid of them seems to be having your cc company issue you a new number for your card, because they have your old number. My cc (Capitla One, VIsa) said they could not "block" ancestry.com from charging card, and moreover, ancestry might just change their name (which it looks like they have a habit of doing).

Long and the short of it, sounds like it's not even worth your time to deal with them. Just get a new card/number issued from cc and begin the tedious task of re-entering it everywhere you shop online.

• Ol
    oldlady1942 Dec 30, 2009

You all must be computer illiterate!!! I signed up for the service and it mentions clear as mus that the membership will auto renew. I found the site to be great and it helped me locate my long lost ancestors. It sound like you all need to get a brain!!!

• Ji
    Jill Mar 11, 2009

Oh dear I can see now I have been duped. Doh! I will try via my credit card refund too but suppose I wont hold my breathe ...thanks for posting I thought I was going demented when i couldn't find anything on the website.

• Ke
    Kevin Nov 12, 2008

Hey, I just recently had the same situation. I have no idea who these people are what kind of service or things they are trying to sell but some how I am being charged with 109.99. I am also a college student and can't afford or even think of purchasing something so stupid as this.

Furthermore, after contacting my bank they said there was another charge to my account under the name Globalcast or something close to it. Thank god the fraud department stepped in and temporary closed my account and denied the charge, just giving you guys the heads up if you see that company name in ur statement.

Does anyone have any information on how these people are able to get our credit card numbers? They seem to also be sharing our credit card information with other sites that will charge you for useless stuff. These people should be shot.

• Ra
    Rachel E Dalais Oct 24, 2008

There is nothing of value to Australians in their searches - the geneological information is non existent. And they charge more than appears on the screen and it is not confirmed until after you've entered your credit card details. However, I did manage to find a phone no. ( in Quebec) that at least got me a real person to talk to who then appeared to cancel my subscription - we will see if the money arrives back on my credit card!? The number is +[protected] (try extension 395 or wait and dial 0 for operator and ask to speak to customer service for Australian Ancestors.com) They are an affliate of interactivebrands.com - the phone no is the same. Definitely dodgey!

• Mb
    m brain Oct 02, 2008

Out of blue I was debited £80 for a service I new nothing about.

The actual card info was put into the internet 8.30 on sunday morning. I was in bed. It pays to check your e.mails regularly and get your card stopped.

I hope I am in time for the bank to refund my money.

• Qi
    Qian Chen Oct 02, 2008

I checked my BOA credit card account today. There are 4 charges on my account which I can't recognize. One of them is from MFI*My Family Ancestrys and the rest is from Vesta*Sprint. I have never heard of these two companies. But they all charged me on the Same day, Oct 1st. I called my bank to dispute these transactions and stop my credit card. And I was told to call these companies first and resolve the problems. What the hell, but I tried to reach the MFI* My Family Ancestry to find out how they get my credit card info. But what's more ridiculous is that they no longer run their support operation by phone and I have to go to their website get support. Instead of going to their website, I came to this site. I can't believe that there're already so many people complaining about this website, and why the website is still in business. I'm a college student too, and i did online shopping at GAP and Eastbay three days ago. I'm really curious about how they get my credit card info. Is this company being used by some bad guys or in fact, they're the bad guy? If anyone knows, feel free to send me email.

• Gr
    Greg Aug 30, 2008

They played a nice one on me. They offer a free 14 day trial but if you decide to cancel and start the cancellation process they leave you with a page asking why you want to leave but with nothing toi click to take it any further. I thought I had cancelled but had a rude awakening to later see a $149 debit to my bank account.Their trick?...to hide the continue button so that one is left with the idea that it has been cancelled. I only discovered it when I tried to copy the page to a word doc. I later found many similar complaints.
    Something is very wrong here. The credit card companies who deal with them need to take notice. I intend to put pressure on mine and also complain to the appropriate govt agency .

Andrew Aug 25, 2008

I'm really angry about this. First you get roped in with the price starting off as approx. $20. Yeah, right. I was willing to pay the $80+ dollars but once I was inside the site I could not locate one single name of any individual in my family tree. It's absolutely useless as a genealogical website. It has absolutely nothing to do with Australian genealogy and it is an absolute RIP-OFF! It's preying off those australians who are trying to trace their roots and there a lot of australians who have no idea where they originated from, save for the only clue of their surname.

I have tried contacting them to get my money back before the end of the seven day cancellation period and found that the phone number is not connected (I tried a couple of times, checking the numebr) and the two emails I have sent have received no response. So now I'm feeling like a real chump for having fell for the BS in the first place.

Very dissapointed and very angry. Am now looking to follow this up with the NSW Department of Fair Trading to get this investigated, considering it such a blatant scam.

• Cs
    CST Aug 21, 2008

So, out of curiosity, has anyone started a Class Action Lawsuit? Or notified a Consumer Watchdog group -- like the guys on TV where they investigate and track the guy down for their secret investigation?

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Someone that has been affected has to report it and follow through on getting it fixed.

You might not see the comparison, but this kind of stuff leads to the economy failing -- credit card fraud results in higher fees, mortgage fraud results in honest people not being able to get mortgages because the criteria is too strict.

It only takes one person to make a difference ...

• Aj
    aj Aug 21, 2008

I also just found a charge on my bank account for $159.82. I didnt tried to call the company to resolve the situation i only call my bank I've never even heard of this company.

• Ga
    Gary Moore Aug 18, 2008

I just noticed a charge to this account tonight. Luckily I check my account regularly. I will have to pick up a new card with a new number tomorrow, and then change all of my accounts.

• Ne
    Neil Armstrong Aug 04, 2008

I had a similar experience. On 3rd August I checked my balance and found it to be less than I imagined, so I called my bank who advised me. £83.40GBP. I have never heard of this company and would not have paid for a site of such nature. I now have to go to my bank and lodge a fraud claim. I have been advised by Halifax that they will give me the money back straight away, which is good news at least.

• Sc
    Scott Jul 31, 2008

I canceled my subscription with them and then looked at my credit card statements to find out that they kept charging my credit card. Luckily, I printed out the original confirmation page from their website noting the day and time of the cancelation. They will supposedly reverse the charges however I contacted my credit card company anyway. My credit card company is on my side because I have the printed out cancelation page. Don't trust them! And if you do open up an account either for a trial period or subscription, print everything out. You will need it because they will try to screw you later on.

• Er
    Erin Jul 06, 2008

they got me last week for 32 something, the charge was pending for 4 days and my bank couldn't do anything about it because the charge hadn't posted.

i just checked my balance ( i do it online) and they got me again with a pending charge, this time for 32.46.
    I am going to the bank tomorrow to have a new card with a different number issued.
    i am a college student AND i just lost my job. i can't afford this, what does one do to get a company like this?

• Ba
    Barbara H. Jun 24, 2008

Our joint checking account was hit yesterday by these ### for $229.75. It's pending, so Washington Mutual says it has to clear before they can do anything, and they can't stop payment on a debit card. However, they were able to know that it was my husband's debit card, so it was cancelled. What a major pain! Like everyone else, I can't believe that it continues when they have such a track record! WTF? The crooks are winning, people. And here we try to be so careful. It's amazing how scams like this are allowed to continue!!!

• Di
    Dissappointed U$er May 24, 2008

I just searched Google and found this page. Same thing happened to me today! Thank God I checked my balance and saw the charges. MFI*MYFAMILY charged $109.95 to my credit card. I've never heard of them either, but my bank sure has. They knew it was ancestry.com right away. If it helps, I was also hit with charges from greataupair.com ($60.00) and then a $1 charge from goldenmine.com all on the same day. Wells Fargo is investigating and I will pursue this myself as much as I can. Not cool!

marion duke May 09, 2008

I notice that although you have sent me an Email acknowledging the cancellation of my account on 5/4/2008 you do not mention anything about returning my money. Kindly cancel my debit card and refund this amount.

• Da
    Dale Apr 11, 2008

On Apr 9, 2008 my bank, USAA call me and asked if I had made a debit card purchase with MFI*MYFAMILY/ANC for $109.95 and Wal-Mart.com for 616.35. I had done neither and am absolutely mystified how they could have got enough information (card no. and address) to make a purchase from a fairly reputable site like Wal-Mart.com. Both charges are currently showing as pending charges and USAA will refund the charges, but they immediately shut down my card which is a terrible inconvience since I am a Soldier living in Europe. I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but two weeks ago, my credit card had a fraudulent pending charge from polkaudio.com for $330. My card was cancelled and, for whatever reason, the charge never actually posted to my account. I'm a little freaked over all of this, I have been pretty liberal with my credit card, using it online and at local establishments, but I hardly ever used my debit card until I had to cancel the credit card.

• Gt
    GT Apr 02, 2008

ANOTHER (more recent) WARNING RE AUSTRALIAN-ANCESTORY.COM

I wish I had found this page and read tb's comments about his/her bad experience BEFORE signing up and paying almost $70 to a bunch of thieves. When I tried to log in to obtain a refund, my data (entered on the first screen) was continually rejected. Clearly they had no intention of accepting the request, let alone satisfying it. Let me have the ### for just 5 minutes in a dark alley.

On one of the screen dumps I kept from the process, the name Verisign appears prominently. Wasn't this a reputable organisation at one time???

More than pissed off!
    GT

Amy Apr 02, 2008

I went to ancestry.com to sign up to see what its like. I'm not a criminal and don't have a criminal mind, but if someone say got my number from my card just from looking over my shoulder, how could they work backwords to get my address? When I went to sign up it asked for my address FIRST then my credit card info. I of course gave them no info. My question is, if its an outside person NOT affiliated with ancestry.com and they got my credit card number, it looks to me like they'd need to know my address first to get on. SO if they already have ALL of my info, what the hell would they need this site for to get any more info? They already have all they need to shop away online. So basically I'm not getting it, its got to be someone involved with the website. They then used my info to buy something at anntaylor...just bothres me so much that someone out there got my info and I can't figure out from where.

Found this interesting:

Looks like they've got a long list of complaints even from people that CHOSE to sign up with them. So when people say that they're innocent and they're only being used? I'm thinking twice about that..

Amy Apr 02, 2008

Just happened to me also. A charge from this ancestry.com. I don't know if its them doing it or if they're being used, but it seems to strange to me that this has been going on for years, the site obviously has not changed their verification process to sign up with them--basically nothing has been done whatsover. I'm not sure what can be done as far as legal matters go. My card was not stolen, and I thought I was generally careful online. I do pay all my bills online. Just in the past few months I have been doing more online shopping, all from well known stores--except for one. Maybe they are the culprit. I also went out of the country, but I don't think I used my credit card except in the airport...in mexico. also, I just learned that if you use a wireless computer, and you use it at say a coffee shop, and you're doing some online banking there, anyone else in that coffee shop with a little computer savy can access your computer and all of your personal info. Anyways, in short, be careful. As far as this site goes, has anyone had any luck, or know what's being done to stop them? Any tips? I cancelled my credit card as soon as I found it, they did manage to squeeze in a charge at anntaylor.com. Can't wait till those slimy ### try to buy a big tv tomorrow and it gets denied.

• Ro
    Robin Mar 31, 2008

More than two years ago, I did sign on to this website and (naively) purchased a membership. I was not at all impressed, and did not access this site more than two or three times back in 2005. HOWEVER, what was not disclosed was the fact that Ancestry.com could--and would--retain my credit card information, and automatically rebill it literally years later. They did not attempt to communicate with me beforehand via regular or email, so when, in January 2008, $99.00 was billed to my Visa, it was a real blindside. Naturally, I phoned Bank of America to dispute, and they removed the charge from my card. Ancestry.com apparently protested, so my account was rebilled. I called Ancestry.com, and their response was very rude. The rep said, "Well, if you had called us first instead of your credit card company, maybe we would have worked with you. Now we will not refund your money." There was absolutely no interest at all in customer service or in leaving any sort of a favorable impression. Yes, the account is canceled now--or so I was told--but I'm still out almost $100 for nothing. I would never recommend this site to anyone, ever. VERY DISAPPOINTED with the "so-what" attitudes of the reps, the general lack of professionalism, and their unwillingness to reimburse.

Mary Mar 18, 2008

Rhonda,

I just had the same thing happen-they took 229.75 from my debit card-well it was run through as a VISA. I called the bank and they said they cannot do anything until it posts-the charge is pending now.

I found this site from the name by the charge. That is all the info. the bank has. They said once it posts they will have more information and I can file a dispute.

I also do not know how this happened!! I have never heard of this site. I have tons of security on my computer and this has never happened to me before. How did they get my card number? I rarely even use it as a VISA.

• Rh
    Rhonda Mar 17, 2008

I just pulled up my checking account as I always do to balance my checkbook & found 2 different charges for the same day of 03/17/2008. One charge is for $119.80 & the other for $31.82. It has the description listed as MFI*MYFAMILY/AN. I asked my husband if he knew what this was for & he had no idea. He suggested I try to pull up something on the internet & here I am. We have never heard of this site, never been on this site, & never searched for this site until charges showed up on our checking account. I can't believe this has been going on this long & nothing has been done to these jerks. The only thing we use the internet for is eBay, paying bills, & balance our check book with our online banking. Something needs to be done ASAP!!!!! My husband & I work too hard for our money to let maggots eat our money & especially for some BS site we have never even heard of or been on!!! I will be contacting my bank tomorrow!!!

• Ri
    Ric Mar 15, 2008

Thank you for the heads up on this mob.
    I was thinking of joining. They conveniently give you NO idea whatsoever of what is inside No previews or anything.
    When I decided to click on the pay now page the amount in the total in no way corrosponded to the amount in the actual join up page. That in itself made me type in a search on the company and this is the only hit I got.
    Lucky I didn't blow my money. Call me suspicious but I don't trust anyone nowadays.
    Cheers.

Chad Pennington Jan 19, 2008

Report them on /link removed/ I just did

• We
    Wendy Berntson Jan 03, 2008

I have not had access (other than library), to the internet
    for about 3 months.

You see, my 16 year old twin boys and I were evicted from
    our home around then, and were homeless for a time. So, needless
    to say, we had, still have no online access other than library.

So I deposited my rent money into my account 2 days ago, and
    was about to deposit 15 more for a charge coming in today. I checked my bal. Thank God!, and I'm $44 short (overdrawn)
    so went to library to investigate,and there are 3 seperate
    charges of $109!!!

From some company I've never heard of!!! I called 1-800 number to no avail,gone for the day. Now my rent check will bounce and we could become homeless again, that easily!!!

• Su
    Susan Dec 20, 2007

I was just called by my cc company to verify a charge by this company. I have never heard of them. MFI My Family Ancestry. Had to cancel my card. Don't know how they got my number. What a pain in the butt! After doing a search, I found this complaint board, and see they have been doing this for years. WTF? Why haven't they been shut down???

Christine Dec 06, 2007

I just had this happen to a friend of mine. I'm trying to do some research to find out why this problem isn't being solved. What I do know is if your placing your anger with ancestry.com it is misplaced. These criminals are just using that website to try and get more information..ancestry.com isn't just charging you to be mean. If you see any of those charges or any other charges you don't recognize call your bank IMMEDIATELY. The longer you let it go the more money you have to wait to get back. Here's what I don't understand. If these people are ordering things on the internet they have to be getting them shipped somewhere. Why order something if your not going to pick it up? WHY haven't the police done anything about it?! Obviously this has happened to a lot of people and there's no way these criminals will stop if no ones trying to stop them! My friend went to the local police station and all they did was take there statement and give them the neccessary paperwork to get there money back from the bank. Then they said there was nothing else they could do. Maybe they can't, and that's fine. They're local police, they have better things to do like pull people over for speeding and not wearing seat belts, but don't they have any f*ing information about something that can be done. Or does no one care?

• Wa
    Watson Dec 06, 2007

Unfortunately, i too am forced to join the club. personally, im not a bandwaggon guy but it seems as if the forces that be want me to be bamboozled by this company as well.

At first, wamu gave me the lecture of me being a guy that wanted to know where my ancestors came from, and did the service, didnt like what i heard, and wanted my money back. now i see that the company is definitely suspect. For any wamu guys out there that think im still lying... kiss my a$$! i already know that i dont like most of my family outside of my immediate, i already know that i most likely wont like my family from 200, 500, 1000, or even my family from before they were tad poles so i am most likely not gona pay money for some .com to look them up for me.

now im a big fan of Ocean's 11, 12, and the recent 13 and i have to admit either we all are just unfortunate or these damn Ancestry.com guys are really the Ocean gang because for any of you who saw the most recent one, i feel like the guy who got robbed. Although i can see MY money in MY account which was deposited by a check from MY company for MY hard days work... it does not belong to me. I have to abide by this word "PENDING", in my account statement, which restricts me from closing my account to salvage what little i have left. I would mention a dollar amount but i do not want to deminish the effect the other dollar amounts have already created. ALL I CAN SAY IS, DONT LET ME KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND DEFINITELY DON'T LET ME CATCH YOU IN FRONT OF MY H2. [email protected]!!!

• Di
    DixonWC Dec 05, 2007

Dear Ancestry.com, I have been very pleased with Ancestry.com, having found about a thousand ancestors and other relatives to add to my mother's and others' ~1000 direct ancestors. My family tree is given, the part we know, by <http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=dixon3026>. Ever since I upgraded my computer from the original iMac to the 2007 iMac, I haven't been able to open family trees. I try to view them and get an adv. to get a free two-week trial. I paid about $200 last June and one or two Junes before that and I thought I could have a 52-week PAID trial. I read that I should make the computer accept cookies and I've tried accept and accept only from sites I've steered to and accept cookies from no sites. All with the same result! Please let me in! Of course, if it doesn't improve soon I won't renew next June. Thanks, Dixon

• Co
    Connie Nov 28, 2007

The same thing happened to me this morning for $109.95 --Capital One caught it and denied the charge --as it was someone from another state and they didn't think it was me -----it wasn't!! Capital One promptly called me to verify the denial of charges.

I don't get why someone would steal a credit card number and use it on Ancestry.com --unless they have something to gain (and I don't think their family history is what they were gaining). Obviously MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCES [protected] has nothing what so ever to do with Ancestry.com.

I will stick to Capital One for sure!!! What's in your wallet?