Mfi Family Ancestry / Ancestry.comCredit card fraud!

S

I have a complaint about MFI family ancestry. (Aka ancestry.com) The funny thing is I have NEVER heard of these people and would never pay through a web page to find out who my ancestors were. I could care less. I am a college student and do not have extra money to be spending on frivolous things such as this. I want to know who and how they got my credit card number and why in the world they would use it to find dead relatives? Why not buy something useful like food or electronics?

The amount of $35.79 has been charged twice to my account. I called my bank and they said that they cannot do anything until it posts to my account; yet, that money is STILL be deducted from my account. I do NOT have the extra money in my account to support this. However, I did do some searching and found multiple reports of credit card fraud involving MFI*myfamily/ancestry. How are these people allowed to remain in business? More importantly, what can I do to make these people pay for my troubles? Advise smb!

Sincerely,
Sarah.

• Updated by veronica laursen-allan (v.d. lance) · Dec 26, 2016

from v.m.[protected]@gmail.com ... Re: emailing matches box doesn't work, I have an one-year membership for Canada.

• Pa
    Pat Oct 23, 2006

I was asked to give my credit card number to view a MFI Ancestry programme and now find I have a debit on my card of over $100.00 what can I do as I am a pensioner of 68 years.

• Mr
    mr Caves Dec 05, 2006

I too have have money taken off my mastercard on the 3rd December 2006, once for $139.00 and a second time for 38.02. my credit card company stopped both of these attempts, just in time. I have never had any dealing with this company calling itself my family.com or MFI or my ancestry.

I am not happy with this!

• Ju
    julie ann conrad Dec 11, 2006

i did not give any information for you to draw out any money from my bank clear this up

• Ra
    Ray Dec 18, 2006

I too have the same problem, they took $116 and I'm a college student as well.

• Lu
    Luis Mogollon Dec 22, 2006

Mine was 79.95 and it was charged (25 Nov 2006) to a visa card that has been blocked for Internet payments for a year. The debit description was: MFI* Ancestry USrec YR

MaryAnn McGirr Dec 27, 2006

Would like to have my credit card credited with $86.35 with this program that I did not order? It was on Nov. 26, 2006.---- I did not use my DISCOVER card for ....... MFI* ANCESTRY USREC YR [protected] UT
    [protected]

MaryAnn McGirr Jan 01, 2007

Have not received any notice why I was charged the amount on my credit card? I would like to be credited with the charge you put in it? This is my second notice to you?

• Tr
    Trudy Moses Jan 04, 2007

I also inputted my credit card details to view the trial programme on MFI ancestry and I got my credit card bill today and have an amount of R844.26 (South Africa). This is a huge amount that I did not authorize!!!! How can I get this credited to my account. Frantic...

• Pa
    Paul Falconer Feb 21, 2007

Application was made to this website on January 15th 2007. Transaction number53649200. The number given on my credit card is800-262-3787 GBR. Credit card is Natwest Premier Private Banking. Number [protected]. I was not aware of the charge until I received my credit card statement.

• Fe
    Fen Man Mar 04, 2007

I too agree I am a college student too and MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCESTRYS has charged my account too. For an amount of $35.19. I think this company just targets college student. I think we should get together and complain against it to Federal Authorities.

Janice McCarn Mar 12, 2007

I too received fraud on my credit card in the amount of $572.63. Someone needs to put these people out of business quick and in a hurry.

• Er
    Eric Gooch Mar 28, 2007

Well, they got me too. 30 minutes ago I got a call from my bank (Citibank) because they had noticed suspicious activity on my account. There were 2 charges from... guess who... MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCES [protected].

One for $169.85 and one for $589.55.

I've never even heard of this company. They need to shut these ### down.

• Sh
    Shonnyl Apr 03, 2007

Hey, this happened to be about 1 day ago. I just wanted to find out if the charges were dropped or not? Cause they told me that this ### was gonna be dropped but it is still showing on my bank statement.

• Tr
    Tricia Olszewski Apr 05, 2007

Today this place (MFI Family Ancestry aka Ancestry.com) charged $269 to my Mastercard. I've never heard of them either. HSBC had already put a hold on my account by the time I called because they also viewed the transaction as suspicious activity. Now they've shut down my account, and because the transaction was pending, hopefully that's the end of the story.

I'm not a college student but I do all my banking online, so that must be how they got my account number somehow.

• Sc
    Scott Apr 05, 2007

Well I got a call from my bank 2 days ago about suspicious activity from none other than MFI ancestry. A total of 549 dollars in my debit account. This company is like the #1 ancestry website in the world, looks reputable yet how do they remain in business with all these reports of fraud and identity theft. My bank is investigating luckily and proves that they are taking peoples money illegally.

Jason Apr 20, 2007

I noticed this morning that i had 3 charges from these ###s of around $33 each. Bank of america told me to call them and try to resolve it with them. When i called, some woman sounded like an operator. She started asking for all my personal information. Luckily, i was suspicious and didn't give it to her. Half way through the call, i heard kids screaming in the background. This ### is scamming people out of her home. When i called, bank of america to tell them, she'd run up another charge on my card. I told them to cancel my card entirely, as they were too stupid to block this thief. At this point i'm as frustrated with my bank as i'm angry at her. By the way, i'm not a college student. And i have no idea how she got my card.

Mary Ann Kunkel Apr 24, 2007

I was not aware of any think and did not give any one permission to Debit my account for any amount and I went to check my online account and notice that money was taking out so I called my bank and they told me who was doing this and I am filling a dispute about this with my bank.. Some one needs to be sued!!

• Cr
    Cristin Wise May 09, 2007

I also just found a charge on my bank account for $31.82. I tried to call the company to resolve the situation and maybe find out how they got my card info, but no one conveniently answered. I have no idea how these people got my card info, I have never heard of this company or seen their website until just a few minutes ago when I saw the charge. I will be calling my bank tomorrow to make sure these people are not allowed to get me again.

• Di
    Diana May 16, 2007

I called ancestry's 800 number and demanded to know why and how they charged my brother $109 on his mastercard during my "Free 3 day trial". The guy said it was just a coincidence that he was charged at the same time as the trial. What a load! He assured me that they don't have anything to do with this and those bad hacker people are responsible. I would like to see a class action suit against these people.

• La
    Laura Ptaszek May 17, 2007

This company charged my credit card for a service that I did not request or even receive. I have never heard of Ancestry.com until the charge showed up on my bank account. Now I have seen many complaints about them. They took 109.00 dollars from my checking account.

• Ki
    Kimberly Jun 05, 2007

This just happened to me today! I got 109.95 charged to my account and I have never even used this website or heard of it! I'm a college student as well and use online banking. This is ridiculous.

Jamie Jun 14, 2007

This just happened to me. They took 109.95 out of my account. I can't call the bank for 2 more hours. I hope they can fix it. I'm also a college student. I was looking things up, and there are bigger complaints about the same company in Australia.

Ann Thomas Jun 14, 2007

I have never heard of this company MFI Family Ancestry until I noticed that they had taken £140.90 from my card.

• St
    Stephanie Jun 15, 2007

Me too! They got me for 2 charges of $109.95 2 hours ago! Citibank called me and I checked my account and there it was MFI*MYFAMILY/ANCES [protected] . AAAND an hour later another $671 was charged to Overstock.com!!! What the F?

• Da
    Daniel gil Jun 17, 2007

WTF?!? They just charged my [censored]ing credit card too, twice!

• La
    Laura Anne Dyer Jun 20, 2007

I viewed an Internet site a year ago that required a debit card to view information on the site. I did this and was charged 69.99. I thought this was very expensive as I only wanted to trace family members and the information was a 10 minute read! They have now debited my account another £79.95 a year later! What for I have not joined anything. My bank can't stop it as it is internet evolved.

Laura

• Bi
    Bill Jul 02, 2007

First you said this,

"I viewed an Internet site a year ago that required a debit card to view information on the site. I did this and was charged 69.99."

Then you go off whining saying this,

"What for I have not joined anything."

Umm, no, looks like you joined something, didn't read it, and forgot to cancel it. That sounds like your problem. Just learn to read things more carefully when you sign up and you won't have any problems I assume.

• Xi
    Xiote Jul 02, 2007

I fell that most or all of you are victims of credit card fraud through suspects other than ancestry.com.

What occurs is a merchant, a waitress, a store clerk, etc... gets a copy of your credit card data (either writing it down or rerunning a receipt on the card machine). They then use your data to open an account with ancestry.com in order to get your home address information that is needed for online credit card transaction approvals. At this point they can start running up your credit card bill until the card is canceled and an investigation begins (which usually ends up nowhere, you pay your obligatory $50, the merchant gets a chargeback, and inflation rises to cover billions in yearly credit card fraud.

• In
    inez leach Jul 03, 2007

This place is utterly ridiculous. I registered for an account for a totally different site when i was trying to locate my birth mother. I received the information that i needed, but now, this place that i didn't pay to register to (ancestry.com) has billed my account for the last two months beginning on the 1st of every month for $9.95. I looked at my account today and saw that they are billing me for something that i didn't even pay for! They need to be stopped but just complaining is not going to do it... we need to take serious action because what they are doing is fraud and false advertising! Anyone interested in really stopping them just e-mail me and we will get this stopped ASAP. This should have been stopped long ago!

• Ke
    kelly abbott Jul 04, 2007

This company, who I've never heard of and have never dealt with, used my debit card number and charged 3 separate transactions against my account totaling $989.55. They claim to not be able to help me until the money clears my bank authorization.

Apparently it does not matter that you have never used their "services". The last place I used my debit card before these charges hit my account was a Chinese Food Restaurant. someone also tried to buy a laptop computer via Staples in the same time frame. I am assuming that my account was compromised at that time.

• Si
    Sir_Elven Jul 19, 2007

I get to join the club. Same people charged my Bank of America Account for $229.75. Caught the trans. pending and now I get to wait for the trans. to post before the bank gives the money back. How do these thugs get a hold of acct. #s?

Sir_Elven.

• To
    Todd Bauer Jul 20, 2007

I had two charges from MFI-- one yesterday, and one today. Both charges were in the amount of $549.95. I had no prior dealing with these dirtbags. At first, I thought that maybe someone had acquired my credit account info, and bought services through them, but after reading all of these posts, I believe it's the company itself that is trying to scam people. Luckily Chase caught it and called me before the payment had posted.

• Wa
    wanda Jul 28, 2007

So, here is my story... I went to withdraw some money at my Bank of America, the teller says that I don't have any money to cover... When they gave me the print out , ancestry had made withdraws totaling $942.00 I contacted customer service at the bank since this are just pending transactions to do a stop payment Bank of America says they cannot do that. So here is my question... who is this ancestry and how they got my personal bank account... will I get my money back and banks fees? How we can trace it? How long will it take to get my money. I have not call the phone number that appear on my bank statement because is Saturday and they are closed... I'm curious why Bank of America did not want to do a stop payment... Are they doing business with ancestry or what ever this people are? I want answers... I'm calling the better business bureau or what ever government agency to shut this people down or do something...

• Ga
    Garrett Jul 30, 2007

I am also a college student. My debit card just got red flagged today and i found out that there were 3 charges that i didn't make. One from MFI for $109.95, 1 from Dell for $432 and 1 from Smarttools.com for $599. Luckily MFI and Dell hadn't gone through yet but I still think even if I get refunded this will overdraft my account and I'll have to get that taken care of as well. Someone needs to stop this company.

• Gi
    Gina B Aug 02, 2007

I recently had the same problem. Mine occurred right after placing an order for homeschool curriculum at a company in Vermont. Does anyone else feel that the number was stolen right after placing an order? Also, I notice that many victims are college students. Do you think this is a pattern?

• Me
    melbourne Aug 02, 2007

I am a supervisor at a bank and have dealt with this issue at least 4 to 5 times today. I recommend anyone facing this issue to check their statements for other charges or "authorizations" that they do not recognize as being their own. Secondly, I would suggest that you contact your bank or credit card company and block their card if not their account to a "post no debit" status. Thirdly, ask to place a dispute on the charges that have settled into the account, or a tracker on the charges that are currently pending or in an authorization status. This would get the ball rolling on getting this situation solved. Generally, most banks have an investigation department that works with the merchant and merchant bank to get the issue resolved. On a minor note, fraudulent charges have nothing to do with the bank releasing funds to a merchant. When a charge is issued to a merchant and the correct information is given, it is considered to be an authorization given by the card holder (even if its not the card holder the merchant was given the required information). When a merchant receives the authorization they report to the card holders bank and the bank then places a "hold" also known as a Debit Authorization. This means these are guaranteed funds set aside for the company and will be reflected in the cardholder's balance. The merchant then has 4 days to collect on the funds. It is not until the merchant collects the funds that a bank may place a dispute against the charge. The investigators will then contact the merchant as well as send correspondence to the cardholder to get the information required from both parties to determine whether or not the charges were in fact valid.

To sum it up here are somethings to consider:

- Check your statement often, as often as possible ( it is best to utilize your online banking feature)
    - Don't dismiss unrecognized charges because they are a small amount. Many scam artists charge accounts in small amounts at first to be discreet, to know if an account is open, and to see if any money is in the active account.
    -Many accounts with unauthorized charges will most likely have other charges in the past OR may be getting more charges in the very near future.
    - Know the difference between unauthorized and unrecognized charges. Unauthorized charges are charges where you know the name and type of company, and also know you've had no dealings with that type of company recently. Unrecognized charges are charges where your may not know the name of the company, it is not provided, or the type of merchant is not recognized. In a case of unrecognized charges you may want to request clarification on a charge. A bank will generally send information such as company name, time, date, amount of charge and on what card number or signer was used. When dealing with unauthorized charges, for precautionary steps it is best to block the card and be issued a new card with a new card number.

I hope this information is helpful! Thanks!

• Kr
    Krissy Doss Aug 07, 2007

Today, I received a call from my bank, saying that a $1000 charge from Dell was declined and wanted to know if we had authorized it. I had not, so I decided to check my account online... 3 days ago, I have a charge from MFI MY FAMILY for $109.95 and it's still pending... Call up my bank, and sure enough, they cannot take any action against the transaction until it has posted. I canceled my card, and thats the end of it.

• Ka
    Kate Aug 08, 2007

I got onto my online banking a few days ago and saw that there were 19 transactions pending in my account. NINETEEN. All of them within 2 days. 15 of them were from MFI (ancestry), some in the amount of $59.95, the rest in the amount of $32.95. I have never heard of this company. And just as someone else said in their complaint here, I could care less who my ancestors are, let alone pay hundreds of dollars to find out. I can't figure out where my card number could have been taken from. I only pay my bills online, which is supposedly always on a "secured" account. I had to block my card, and now I have to wait for all of the transactions to go from "pending" status, to "posted". Apparently I can't file a claim on a pending transaction, which is bull to me. The other transactions were from GoFly & NetFlix.

Janie Aug 09, 2007

It happened to me today. I sell on ebay and do all my shipping from Paypal. I logged onto my Paypal account today and noticed a pending charge for 109.95. I called My Ancestry and was forwarded to the fraud department where I spoke to someone named Josh. I gave him my CC # and he said there was no record with that number. I called Paypal, they said a virtual debit card was used. That means they had my Paypal password! I immediately reported the credit card stolen, changed my Paypal password and also took off my back up funding from my savings account. Not even 5 minutes after I removed the back up funding, a DENIED charge for 430.36 came from Nordstroms! I was so relieved it was denied.

I do not know how anyone could have gotten my Paypal password. I NEVER click on any links from emails or anything. I'm very computer savy so I know the do's and don'ts...This just upsets the heck out of me because the 109.95 is still pending in my account which means I have no access to the funds and I can't file a dispute with Paypal until it's settled. It really sucks... it put a damper in my business all day. I spent 10:00 AM to 6:00PM today on the phone with Paypal and My ancestry and got nowhere...

I looked on the ancestry website and I don't even see a plan for 109.95...

If you have a Paypal debit card or virtual card... get a Paypal security key... I ordered mine today... This is the first time anything like this has happened to me... I feel so violated : (

Janie.

• De
    Debi Aug 09, 2007

The same thing happened to me today. I checked my account this morning to find two charges in the amount of $109.95 . A third charge of $1.00 was from Sears.com. That dollar charge would have ended up being more if I hadn't called the bank to dispute the charges. My debit card has been canceled and I have disputed the charges. Now I am waiting for the money to be credited back to my account. I you see a charge for only $1.00 don't ignore it! It's only to see if your account is valid and then the big charge will follow! I found that out today from the bank. I just don't understand why this outfit is still getting away with this scam. If anyone knows who to contact to stop these ### please let us all in on it so we may prosecute them!