Maytagpoorly manufactured

Would never buy this product ever again!!

We purchased our maytag neptune washer 9700 model and dryer and have had nothing but problems with it. Only 6 months after purchase we noticed the clothes with a moldy odor. We called for service. The repairman came out and blamed it on the types of detergent used (Tide and wisk/downey) and told us that the most he could do was recommend that we wash the inside of the washing machine. Hah! What a hoot! For some reason I thought I had bought the washer to wash our clothes, not for me to wash a washer... Anyhow... The clothes also come out so twisted and wrinkled that the wrinkles do not even come out in the dryer, and are so entwined in the dryer that they come out in a ball with the middle of the ball of clothes still being wet. This washer and dryer are the worst product we have ever owned and cannot say enough to keep someone else from having the same disappointment and disgust. The representatives at maytag were less than helpful and uninterested in our disappointment (Even though the product was only 6 months old) and sent us a small packet (2x3) of detergent/cleaner that we could use for our trouble of mold odor, when really the problem is that the water does not drain out completely when a load is finished, it sits under the door frame where maytag claims, there is a hole now, to help the water drain. (According to some investigation on our behalf, we've now learned that this was a problem when the machines were first introduced, and only fixed after a class action lawsuit was filed) this hole is useless, and the water still sits in the washer until the next load washes.in other words, poorly manufactured, and no one at maytag seems to care that the problem still exists.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello John Niewinski. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have experienced with your dishwasher. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at Maytag.[protected]@Maytag.com and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39690). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Ka
    Kathy Capozzoli Sep 28, 2006

I have a Admiral...from the division of Maytag...with a burnt out motor. Machine is barley two years old...has been treated very well...not overloaded...and now the motor is burnt up. Since it is out of warranty...the cost to fix it will be the same as buying a new one. No williness from Maytag to give me even a discount on a new motor. Thanks alot Maytag...no wonder the Maytag repairman has nothing to do...its cheaper to buy another appliance than fix current one.

• Jh
    J. Hancock Oct 23, 2006

My complaint is that Maytag has declined to honor it's warranty on a dryer purchased in January of 2017 and subsequently failed in September of 2017. Their position is that because my organization purchased it for use in a residential facility it is a commercial use voiding the warranty. The extent of repair was tightening a connection on a control board and cost $132.00.

I am paying the invoice to the repairer because, to be fair, he did the work and should be paid. Should I have to incur the expense on a nine month old dryer purchased on the notion Maytag was a quality product that represented a value to my organization? How can Maytag determine the dryer is used commercially because a non profit organization made the purchase?

Quite honestly I have used these products at other locations based on cost and brand. I have had transmissions, timers and thermal cut offs fail under warranty and repair was made in a reasonable time and were covered. Other than the inconvenience I didn't think much of it. In retrospect the products did fail, within warranty, at a rather high percentage of units purchased. Had I not encountered this issue on the most recent occurrence, I most likely would not have had cause to reach this conclusion nor would it have become a consideration in my next purchase.

I have a large family by today's standards and we do allot of laundry. My wife chose our washer and dryer and they haven't had a problem in almost 6 years, they aren't Maytag. Maybe I'll have her assist in my next purchase. Now watch I'll go home and the washer won't work.

Ann Frederking Apr 15, 2007

Add me to the list of frustrated Maytag owners. Tomorrow will be FOUR weeks since I received the recall notice and immediately contacted the company. Like others I was told that I would receive the replacement parts in about a week.

Last week I phoned Maytag again and they couldn't even tell me whether the parts had been sent. I also e-mailed and have not received any reply. Yes, my dishwasher is 7 years old, but it was working perfectly and $75 toward another (which must be from the same company) is ridiculous.

I'm another who will never buy another Maytag appliance.

Ann.

JAJ Apr 19, 2007

Absolutely!

We all bought our Maytag product because they spent MILLIONS and YEARS telling us theirs were the best, that their repairman was bored because their products were so good.

Now that they have a problem that could endanger our very lives Maytag is nowhere to be found. They aren't supporting their products and won't replace them.

Mine, I'm told by them, CANNOT be repaired. Their only remedy is the bogus $75 deal. I told them I would accept nothing short of a complete replacement, including installation.

I was going along happily in life with a dishwasher that was working just fine (a dishwasher that should last 20 years). Now I'm told that the product they SCAMMED me into buying with their FRAUDULENT advertising was only a DISPOSABLE dishwasher with just a 6-7 year life expectancy.

That, my friends, is corporate fraud at it's worst and Maytag needs to either stand up and fix the problem or some executives need to spend some time making big ones into little ones.

MAYTAG: Will you stand up and support your years of advertising? Or are you going to bury your heads in the sand and force us all to sue you.

I am here to tell them that if my house goes up in flame I will personally sue every executive in their company for knowingly foisting their fraudulent advertising and products on me and my family.

Am I angry? You bet.

• Al
    Almeras May 03, 2007

JAJ:

Who told you that dishwasher would last 20+ years? Do you have that in writing? All of us would love to buy an appliance that is guaranteed for two decades. Is your car guaranteed for that long as well? Nothing, i repeat nothing lasts as long as products made 20 or 30 years ago. Its a trade off people. Not a rip off. They are more efficient, more recyclable, and make a smaller impact on the environment. Be thankful that they are offering you something. If a frayed wire in my 8 year old car starts a fire, i go to my insurance company - not the manufacturer. When you bought the appliance, they gave you a warranty.a

• De
    Deborah Niles Jul 17, 2007

I bought the new Maytag refrigerator from Home Depot 1 year ago. I bought the warranty thank God! I have problems with my ice maker also, it makes alot of noise and a "rattle" I had them come out and the repair man said it was the condensation line that was hitting the back side of the refrigerator, he fixed it or so he said, it continues to make the noise. A $2400.oo nightmare! Still trying to get Maytag to fix it right.

• Ri
    Richard J. Croney Oct 12, 2007

I am so sick of people complaining about their Maytag washer or dryer without giving out the model numbers of the appliance. It's difficult enough having to weed out all of the frustration these people have and then have to read their minds as well as to which model they are complaining about. And for the ones complaining about the odor, why don't they try leaving the front door or top open after they use the washer. This will help evaporate any water left in the washer after the rinse cycle. Also if they would run a little bleach in the washer by itself once a month that helps as well. It's not rocket science you know... REALLY!

• Ho
    Horse Techie Oct 15, 2007

The house we bought this summer had this appliance, and I didn't realize the news about the recall until after a month's of use. Amazing how companies can overturn in 8 years... cause that is how old this house was. All the kitchen appliances are Maytag/Jenn-Air related (back when they still had a good rep, I guess).

Fortunately, house was not in use for over a year, so the Jet-dry pot was dry. I got the implication that if it was empty, then the risk of an electrical fire from the stuff dripping inside the door would be less. I took my chances and continued to use it for the 3-4 weeks while waiting for the local service guy to come out and replace the bad parts. (yeah, I was too busy to have the time and sit around a vague 4 hours in wait for one to show).

It all just boiled down to a huge inconvenience, really!

LisaMarie Stern Dec 11, 2007

I have 4 Maytag Products all purchased within the last 4 years and I have already had to have service on 3 of them. My stove still is not right. My dryer went out before it was even 1 year old and now my dishwasher which was purchased in June of 2017 and installed in August 2017. It has CHEAP plastic parts and now will cost me 160.86 to repair because, has the repair man put it, Maytag sets the price for labor. I remember the days when the commercials for Maytag were of Mayteg repair men doing nothing and now I have had to have 3 of my 4 Maytag appliances repair all before they were 4 years old. I am discusted and will NEVER buy a Maytag appliance again. I tried to get satisfaction from the people I spoke with on the phone and they were only willing to pay for the parts which are around 75.00. I can not believe to repair 2 PLACTIC parts would be over 240.00 to fix on a dishwasher LESS than 3 years old. I have NEVER felt so ripped off in my life and will NEVER buy another Maytag product.

I truly feel that Maytag's merge is the worst thing you could have done. Maytag used to be such an excellent product and now I have had to have 3 of my 4 Brand New Maytag appliances that I purchased for my new home repair before they were 4 years old... shame on you for selling such inferior plastic crap !!! I have been married 21 years and have always had Maytag appliances... but NEVER again !!!!

Linda Leonard Feb 21, 2008

We have had a Maytag french door refrigerator for about 17 months. We have only had problems. They have put on new ice maker. They have checked the shut off value. They have put on new filter. Now we are having 3 sided pieces of ice. When you don't have ice, you have to take the tray out and hit the bar in back to break up the ice. This is stopping it from making anymore ice. The ice maker was replaceed under warranty. Now they are saying it is valve and that is expensive. They are trying to come up with price. I have called Whirlpool at [protected] since they now own Magtag and filled a claim. They show no record of the ice maker being replaced or when we bought the refrigerator. I have contacted another store to try to get help. They have a person that used to work for them and he is very good with refrigeators. He has started his own company. We have little water coming out of the front since we got it. He suggested to get a new filter. Sometimes they can be bad. We have water softner, so we don't have hard water. We got a new 40.00 filter and the problem is solved for now. We have water and ice cubes again. Yeah

Maggie Brook Feb 24, 2008

In regards to the comments about Maytag Model numbers. Recently my preforma washer has begun to make a squelling noice on the spin cycle. ( bearing Noise) I looked up where to find the location of my model number fcould be found from teh Maytag site. Funny every place they said to look ther was no model number to record. I called Maytag in frustration and managed to speak with a Maytag representitive. I explained taht i had purchased a Maytag preforma model washer and i cannot fine teh model # in any of teh location they suggested to look. and also explained i have a loud bearing noise when it spins the clothes dry.

My representitive explained taht it was impossible to be missing a model tag and that also that Maytag does not make a preforma model and never has. I told her i was looking right at it. She again informed me i was incorect. i explained it has Maytag and preforma on the front control panel. I was told taht I was mistaken and o try another manufature.

Yes i agree many consumers do not take teh time to do their homework looking up model # or serial numbers nut what is even worse is when the customer rep tell you taht they don't and never made that model.

I asked if ther was maybe a supervisor taht i would be able to speak with. Her reply was to hang up the phone. With what i have seen on the message board it appears that this industry is in worse shape that teh auto industry. The only saving grace is taht we all need a washing machine or beat our clothes over a rock. The first company that inded provide customer service and follow through will have a lock on the market becasue someone woke up. You can't please all teh people but you woudl expec to get morre that 2 years out of your appliance.

• Su
    suzanne bailey Mar 06, 2008

In the last two years I have purchased a Maytag washer, dryer, & dishwasher. I also bought extended warranties. These products have all been repaired!!! I did not extend the dishwasher warranty this time & yes the handle broke$63.00 plus cost of a repairman. I wish I could trade them all in and buy another brand. Every time I go into an appliance store I will make a point to go by these products and warn anyone looking at them to spit on them and never buy them. At least I can save someone else's hard earned money.

• Be
    beth Apr 07, 2008

My maytag ice2o does the same thing as one of your other members. I heard incessant clicking and looked and saw the door panel was flashing and the chute kept opening and closing. Nothing in my manual addresses this problem and it is now 3:00am and I still searching for an answer. Does anybody know what is up with this. I tried pressing the alarm buttons without result. I emptied the ice maker, believing it might have been clogged. I turned off the icemaker without result. I unplugged the fridge and replugged it without result. Help!

• Em
    empressgale Feb 08, 2009

Two years ago my husband and I bought a Maytag washing machine fr0m Home Depot in Blue Ridge, GA for which we paid well over $500 for at the time. However, after about a years service I began to notice that many times the spin cycle did not clear all of the water out of the clothes and sometimes it seemed that the final rinse cycle was out of whack. Then, on Thursday February 5th, 2017 I loaded some clothes into the machine and switched it on. Immediately, water began to pour out from the bottom of the machine. I immediately hit the "big button" and turned off the machine but the water continued to pour out of the bottom of the machine. We called a repairman and he told us that he didn't repair Maytags because they were often too expensive to repair but checked ours anyway for a service fee of $55.00. Upon examination, it was discovered that the outer wall of the machine had a hole in it and to repair the machine would cost us nearly $350.00 or more. Needless to say, we felt we really had no choice but buy a new machine. I am sure at this point you can safely assume we did not buy another Maytag.

• Da
    Dawn Apr 08, 2009

I called Maytag to set up an appt. for my microwave that was not working and they referred me to ANE Factory service. They told me it would be 70.00 for a service call but they would wave it if I got the microwave repaired and that I would only have to pay for parts and labor. I would have to pay the 70.00 if I chose not to get it repaired. They told me a Wed. between 8-5 which in my opinion is a long range, so I took a day off for the tech to come out, 4:45 rolls around and the tech calls and says he is on his way out, he wants to confirm the price with me and says 70.00+ parts and labor, I told him, I was told by ANE that they would waive that 70.00 if I got the microwave repaired and he said no, you still have to pay the 70.00 regardless. So now I've been misled, its 4:45 and Ive lost a days of work, I told him to forget it dont even come out, Im not playing that game, I called Maytag to complain, they said they would pay for parts if I rescheduled, I agreed to it and they would make the appt with ANE, Wed. a week later is my appt day, I call to confirm my appt.the day before with ANE and they say I have no appt with them for tomorrow, I call Maytag and they say I do in there system so they call ANE and get back with me and say I do, so I call ANE again and they say I do have an appt now. (WHATEVER) so Wed. another day Ive had to take off of work to wait for ANE to show. 5:00 comes and no tech has called me, nothing, so I call ANE and they said the appt is rescheduled for Friday, Im going, "what the @#$%^&*()"? Are you kidding me? Its 5:00, 2nd day of work Ive missed and no tech has showed or called to tell me they need to reschedule????? I could have had a new microwave by now with the 2 days of work I missed. I called Maytag to talk to a manager, the agent disconnected me, my blood is boiling!!! I call again and talk to a manager, they say they will pay for parts and labor to make up for it and they will get someone out on a Sat. - well why didn't they give me that person to begin with because ANE could only come out on Wed or Fri (I work those days) Im absolutly livid with ANE and would not recommend them to anyone unless you want to be misled and lose a few day of work for nothing, they don't care and its the worst service ANE should stand for absolute no effort!!!

• Pa
    papasmurf Apr 22, 2009

I have had over the past 4-5 years a Maytag washer and refrigerator. The washer & refrigerator had to be worked on so many times I gave the repairman a key to my house. I got tired of missing work to meet him.
    The refrigerator especially was unreliable, having the defrost timer replaced 4 times and the ice maker and
    the delivery unit which forces ice out the door was replaced so many times I lost count. Still I hung on to them
    remembering what my parents told me about how reliable Maytag products were. One thing that I can say
    is I won't be telling my kids the same. What I have told them is to avoid Maytag like the plague.

• Wa
    Walter May 12, 2009

I purchased a Maytag Performa (PAV-1 Series, Oversized Capacity Plus Washer) clothes washer in May 2017 from Best Buy. While washing a load of clothes on March 16, 2017, the washer leaked the entire tub load of water all over the basement floor -- from underneath the washer. All hose connections at the spigot and at the back of the washer are tight and not leaking. The discharge hose, at least where it is visible, is not leaking. After spending much time vacuuming up the water from the floor and cleaning up the basement, I prepared myself to test the washer again. It started leaking again, so I turned it off. I turned the dial just past "Rinse" to where it starts pumping water out and I successfully discharged the tub of water through the discharge hose and down the drain.

I have had about six washers at two houses over the last 40 years and I have never had an experience like this. My last washer, with an expected life of 10 to 12 years, lasted 14 years. It did not leak, it just wore out and stopped working.

After researching and reading many complaints about Maytag washers, I will never buy another one. Also, I will not buy a washer from the store that convinced me to buy a Maytag because it was the most reliable. In retrospect, the Maytag cost $400. The manufacturer's warranty ran out after one year. I did not purchase a consumer's extended warranty, which would have cost me about $250 by now, and from what I have read, they are not worth it because the service is lousy.

I will apply the money I saved to buy a new washer, but it will not be a Maytag!

• Si
    Simon Jul 27, 2009

Maytag works with a third party vendor A&E to repair their refrigerators - no such thing as the "maytag man". No this company doesn't tell you items have been recalled then try to charge you for the parts and then don't order parts to fix the problem and then don't show up for appointments thereby the consumer loses many days from work with a still defective product that they have no interest in repairing even though the ads mislead the public. I am VERY mad and will NEVER EVER buy a maytag product - I expected a lot more. My Refrigerator is still not fixed and I have no idea when it ever will be.

• Tr
    tracy crary Aug 08, 2009

have had refrigerator for about six months the ice make hasnever worked right they have been out several times but have never fixed it.we have talked to a manager but still this has not been taken care of so we refuse to make payments until this is solved if they cant fix it replace it with a new one and we will pay.we have purchased several thing from them in the past and paid them off early. have had no other problems we just got a lemon on this one please make good on it.thank you

LisaN Jun 14, 2010

Bought a Maytag auto sensing washer and dryer about 6 weeks ago. Last weekend, machine would not fill with water. Tried to find some answers on their website (where they want between 16 and 36 bucks for an answer), owners manual was less than helpful. We finally got a number to call for service from our local repair place but when we called for service we were informed that it would be a week before some could come out and fix our machine.
    I expected better from a company that advertises based on the reliability and 'sturdiness' of their machines and then to have such slow service repair is unacceptable.
    Our last machine lasted us 15 years and never needed any work; it just wore out. We won't purchase any more Maytag products in the future, they're pieces of junk and the company is slow to respond to customer needs.

LisaN Jun 21, 2010

Well, here's an update to my original complaint. Waited home all afternoon for the repair contractor to show up (was given a window between 1 and 5). I finally called THEM at 4:40 when nobody had showed up yet or called to advise they were running behind schedule...very UNprofessional. Waited on hold for 10 minutes and when I did get somone she informed me that she had sent a message to the repair tech and they would call me. She acted like she couldn't get me off the phone fast enough which I found very rude. Tried to call Maytag, of course, nobody home..left a message so we'll see how long it takes them to call me back.
    Repair tech calls with 'I'm on my way'. Guess what...they finally show up at 4:58. Nice...NOT! Now my daughter has to miss her class tonight because I have to hang out here until the tech is done. How much you want to bet it needs a part they don't have and have to order?

LisaN Jul 07, 2010

The saga continues...the machine worked for 10 days after it was repaired and broke down again with the same problem. We have yet to actually connect with anyone from Maytag.
    Don't buy Maytag machines with the water sensors...they don't qualify for the energy star rebate unless they are on the 'category 3' list (no matter what the appliance center tells you...Home depot told us this machine qualified for a rebate and after going through the hassle of filing the paperwork, we found it it didn't) and, according to the repair guy, they are known to have problems. Wish we knew that before we bought this lemon of a machine. At this point, my husband is done with this POJ and just wants a basic machine. We are also stuck paying big $$ for a laundramat every weekend that we don't have a functioning machine. Tell me wow much was this water sensor thing supposed to save me again????

LisaN Jul 08, 2010

Okay...to be fair, we finally connected with the Maytag representative and they are going to reimburse us for the laundromat expenses (thank you...that was nice of you) and they offered to consult with the repair tech on what is going on with our machine. On the other hand, why on earth does it take a week for their repair people to get to you? I could call any of the local appliance repair shops and probably have someone out to my house tomorrow.

• Ih
    IhateMaytag Sep 11, 2010

I had a beautiful, sturdy, expensive stainless steel Maytag dishwasher. It was recalled and replaced (at my expense) with a plastic piece of junk (I only had a few models to choose from to get the rebate) Now, the junk Maytag dishwasher is being recalled. So, I am expected to go and buy a third dishwasher, which I will be given $100 toward (probably about 10% of the price). It seems to me, like there is a scam going on; I would love to own a business where I could expect my customers to buy my product over and over every 2 to 3 years. The reason the Maytag guy on TV is never busy, is because 1st of all: you can never get a hold of him, and 2nd: the product seems to be disposable.

As a homeowner and a landlord, I have many many appliances, none of which will be Maytags ever again

• Al
    Alex Hdez Nov 10, 2010

Today was yet another round of complains for the Maytag dishwasher, I mean another round because after 6 months of owning the dishwasher it has worked only3 weeks, oh yeah and they "fix" it just to find out that after a few days later something stops working.
    Not only the customer service ladies don't put enough information on the history of their product/customers (repeating over and over the different occasion that it has failed), but they really don't care for customers time like average of 50 minutes call, and scheduling visits of 5hrs window, do they think we don't work during business days?
    Is there a way to say, I don't want you product, you can keep it and let me scape from your "service" support? If so, please share the blessing and we follow. I no longer want to deal with Maytag or Whirlpool (same company).

Northern Newy Nov 10, 2010

I've had my French Door Maytag for a little over two years. I'm constantly getting frozen food out of my crisper drawers and the back left side of the refrigerator, right under the ice maker. When we built, I bought all new appliances. I bought all Bosch but could not get a French door refrigerator in their brand. Knowing Maytags reputation, I took an extended warrenty on the refrigerator. Of coarse it ran out just before all the problems. I keep turning up the temp in the refrigerator, hopeing it will stop freezing. Anyone else have this problem and know of a solution. It's a shame, considering what this refrigerator cost. Anyone know of any recalls?

anonamous7 Dec 09, 2010

Have a really nice Maytag Portable dishwasher that is only about 4 years old. Recently had a new kitchen faucet put in. Found out after conpletely installed that the adapter for the dishwasher does not fit the faucet. Looked through owners manual to find info. Found NO parts info. Went on line. Maytag is not responsible for its own parts. Does not handle any of that service - is done by some previously unknown third party that took hours to find. Called there and the idiot I talked to just kept quoting the 1 line of info on the ONLY adapter that Maytag has for this unit. I asked if it had any dimensions and he kept just reading the line. Get this, this one small ring adapter is $35.00 PLUS shipping AND can get no info as to whether it is going to work - He said can be returned but must use their choice of return shipping and I would have to pay for it. SO, tracked down a phone number for Maytag Customer Service, very nice (and I thought trustworthy) young woman who tried to help but consistanly ran into deadends trying to find info on the adapter for this dishwasher and according to her records there was only ONE. Was on the phone with her for about 1 hr 10 mins and then ended up she said she would have to ask someone else and call me back. NEVER got a call back - REAL Surprise - NOT!
    AND, get this! The unit is still produced and for sale by Maytag. And NOT a CHEAP unit. And the girl suggested that I might be happier with a built in unit - HUH? I was actually polite enough to calmly explain to her that I had no place with plumbing in my old house to install a different unit when there was nothing wrong with the one I had EXCEPT the stupid $5.00 adapter. (cost of any of the ones at Menards that didnt fit because MAYTAG has the market on any of their adapters - they control the market of their parts) BUT NOT REALLY since they have a 3rd party who acts like they HATE doing any interactions with customers and wants to gouge both their eyes out with HUGHLY INFLATED costs for Maytag parts. There really aught to be a Consumer Protection Agency - OH WAIT - there is! But not for real problems that need real help. I now have a $700.00, 4 year old Maytag dishwasher I can not use! Maytag used to be an honorable company with quality items made by proud Iowans. Then it went to h_ll when Whirlpool bought it out and started producing junk under an honorable name. Good luck with anything Maytag (or Whirlpool) If you do, think of it as a 'disposable' appliance.

John Niewinski Apr 02, 2013

Design of top basket does not allow standard size bowls or desert plates to stand upright they get caught and prevent the basket from sliding out you must place your hand inside to free these items. Bottom baskets will not allow these same items to stand upright they fall over preventing the use of the entire bottom basket therefor the ENERGY SAVINGS DOES NOT EXIST as it is necessary to run a SECOND WASH USING MORE WATER AND DETERGENT I have had a Maytag dishwasher for the past 20 yrs. and never had this problem. In the future I WILL NOT BE CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF ANY Maytag appliances.

A VERY UNSATIFIED CUSTOMER

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices