Maxway Storesterrible store policies

A Review updated:

I have had several bad experiences at the Whiteville Maxway Store. First, this store doesn't provide a restroom for customers, which is ridiculous in my opinion. Any store that has merchandise to sell to customers should also provide a restroom & a dressing room to try the clothing. I have asked & been allowed to use their restroom one time, but the manager was very irritated even though she agreed to let me use it. I have been allowed to go to the back to try items on before. I have also been allowed to return undergarments once. I was told to make sure I had my receipt & that the tags must still be attached to the garment which was a bra. I had no problem with this, but on a previous visit & today I was not so lucky. While there today, I asked to use the restroom & the employee told me NO very adamantly. I replied that I understood she was following orders, but that the store should provide a restroom for customers. Then when I went to the register to pay for my items, I asked if a bra could be returned as long as tags were left on & I didn't delay in getting it back. The cashier pointed to a sheet taped to the counter which stated that undergarments could not be returned. I said to her, "then do you have a place where I can try it before buying?" She looked puzzled, then said no. I replied to her that I understood she also was following orders, but how ridiculous that is. I said "So you don't have anywhere that you will let me try it, but yet once I walk out the door with it, it can't be returned. I told the cashier that the manager had allowed me to return undergarments with tags & receipt. She replied that it depends on what mood the manager happens to be in on that day. HOW RIDICULOUS!!! I don't know about everyone else, but in shoes, clothing, everything, I wear different sizes depending on brand name & how the item is made. I have had to refrain from buying items that probably would have worked because I didn't want to be stuck with if not. This store REALLY needs to reconsider it's policies & yes, their employees could be friendlier also!

lilvixen69 Aug 25, 2009

Why should stores provide a bathroom for you? Employees don't get paid enough to clean up the crap customers leave in public washrooms. You are SHOPPING in that store, not LIVING there. Suck it up and pee before you leave the house.

jaime8860 Sep 25, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me today at the maxway in my town! I wanted a bra and I asked if I could try it own. The lady says you can't try on undergarments!! I was like IT IS A BRA!! Not panties!!! She then explained to me that you could not return or exchange it either!!! SO I decided to try it on right there infront of the counter!! I put it on over top my shirt!! I hated to act that way but my money is as good in my pocket as in theirs! I did go on to buy it and low and behold it fits! I know it was not the cashier's fault! Just policy! I work with the public and we have policies too... but some are just plain DUMB! I mean even WALMART lets you try on a BRA!!!

jaime8860 Sep 25, 2009

And regarding the comment above about the restrooms: Youre crazy if you think we are to believe that YOU have never needed to use a public restroom! Not ONCE in your whole life have you left home and needed to pee!? It would be a lie if you said no! So that was just a stupid comment to make!
    I do agree that public restrooms usually get nasty, but that is not the fault of EVERY person that uses it! Just because some slob doesn't know how to ring the toilet doesn't make it right to keep every one from using it!

• Ad
    ADNIL Oct 16, 2009

Thanks, Jaime! Glad you agree that lilvixen69's comments were so stupid & ridiculous! I read some of her comments to other posts. She was so nasty in every one I read that I have to say I really think she has some issues that she needs to work on! You're 100% right, I know that some people make the public restrooms nasty, but not everyone! I certainly don't, I use the same common sense that I do at home. There are all kinds of situations when you really need access to a restroom. It's ridiculous to say that you should pee before you leave home. It's not that simple! You should be able to use a restroom in a business where they want you to come in & spend your money! I think maybe lilvixen69 needs to suck it up & bring a little reality into her life!!!

lilvixen69 Oct 21, 2009

I have had to live reality as the person cleaning up those nasty bathrooms. I'm not saying I've never had to pee while shopping--I just don't make a big deal of it and whine when there aren't any public washrooms available. I "suck it up" and move on to the next store.
    And the reason I'm so nasty in my comments is because most of the reasons those complaints are made is because the people involved were idiots. Complete and utter ###s. If I agree with a complaint, I usually don't comment at all. There are a lot of complaints I haven't commented on as opposed to those I have, proving I don't disagree with everyone--just the ###s.

• Ad
    ADNIL Oct 23, 2009

Yes, lilvixen69, just as I thought! You've had to clean up a restroom behind someone who made a nasty mess that they shoud have had to clean themselves. BUT, now you assume that every other person who goes in is the same. Believe it or not, there are people who treat a public restroom with the same respect as their own! It's unfair to not provide one for ANYONE because you're afraid someone might make a mess! What about children who might find it difficult to "suck it up" and move on to the next store?? But guess what...I don't really care what you think of my complaint because I think it's pretty clear who the idiot/### is!! It's sad that you don't even realize it!!!

lilvixen69 Oct 23, 2009

You're right--they should have had to clean it themselves. But I've seen far more people NOT clean up after themselves than I have the ones who DO clean up after themselves. It's sad when our society has stooped so low that they are barely able to take care of themselves in public, but it is also difficult to see that some people just can't get over the fact that some stores don't have public washrooms. If they don't have them, they probably never will and there's nothing anyone can do about it. You (unfortunately) aren't going to change that all on your own.

• De
    Delphis Dec 03, 2010

Our Maxway store once had a public restroom. It was literally destroyed by the customers, they tore down one of the doors and broke the sink. The landlord repaired the restroom and said if we wanted to keep our lease, we could not allow customers to use the restroom, only employees. I broke the company policy and let a customer use our restroom because she said she had cancer and bladder issues. She left the toilet smeared with feces as well as feces covered paper towels and a clogged toilet. She left without even thanking me and I used $5 in company supplies (gloves, bleach, and paper towels/trash bags) to clean up her mess. She didn't buy anything either.
    If a store doesn't serve food, they are under no legal obligation to provide a restroom. If you don't like stores that don't, don't shop there. Vote with your pocketbook, and all that.

• To
    Tom Marsee Nov 30, 2019

I had the same problem at the location in Mableton, Ga. earlier tonight when doing some self birthday shopping. One employee was about to show me where the restroom was until another girl who was not a manager stopped us and said "Oh we don't have a public restroom." I've shopped at this store before and used it with no problem. I heard that any establishment that is open to the public is mandated by code to have restrooms available to it's customers, not the general public, "customers."