Massage Envy — this place is a scam... beware of additional &fees& after the massage!!
I really never nor do I like to complain about individuals however, today I had a hot stone massage and was very upset when I left. When I phoned to schedule my appointment I told the woman that I had a gift certificate which included the massage, gratuity and tip. This was a gift I received from my husband for my birthday. I have had a few massages in the past at Massage Envy. When I arrived at 1:00 p.m. for my appointment I was greeted by the front desk whom informed me that he would be right with me. Three other clients came in and were escorted to the waiting area before me. As I sat waiting, the receptionist announced he was having trouble finding my chart. I again informed him about my gift card and spelled my name to assist him. Twenty minutes later my massage began. After which I went up front with my card to pay. [Name Removed] ran the gift card and said there is only $105.00 on the card. Ok. You owe another $33.78. I informed him the card was a gift and should include everything as it states on the card. He said “not since you’ve been here before”. I didn’t understand this. There was more than one occasion to let me know I would be paying additionally for the massage. Feeling duped, I asked if they informed my husband when he bought it for me that it would not cover the entire cost. [Name Removed] replied with a smug, I’m sure they did”. After a rather rude discussion through [Name Removed]I said, “Okay, I will pay the additional fee however I will never come back here again”. [Name Removed] replied with “Okay, that’s fine”.
Please know that there was no raising of our voices. The conversation was calm and disappointing on my part for a few reasons. Specifically:
1) My husband would have never purchased a massage for me that didn’t actually cover the cost of it. I don’t believe he was informed by the seller during the actual purchase. In the future, it would be good practice to ask the purchaser who the gift is for, and then inform them of the actual cost so that it can be paid.
2) As a customer/client I did not feel [Name Removed]provided me with fair customer service. He was very arrogant and treated me as if I was unimportant by saying it was “Okay, that’s fine” if I never patronage there again. The amount of money is minimal ($33.78). It’s the reputation that he should be concerned of. Surely he knows that no one should be treated as if their business is unwanted or unneeded. Word of mouth spreads very fast. Had he simply offered a “sorry for the misunderstanding” I would not have been so disappointed with the issue.
Today’s visit brings up another issue I had. Last year I purchased a gift card for my mother, who had never been to Massage Envy before. She stated that she had to pay an additional fee upon leaving too because the cost of the 60 minute massage had gone up since I purchased the card. I bought it weeks earlier. Originally my mother didn’t mention it to me until I pointed out that I liked being able to treat her and cover the costs for the massage, tip and tax as a gift. This was embarrassing to me as I gave her a “gift” and then she had to pay for it. Is this normal practice? I understand the use of expiration dates. However, I feel that if a person is buying a specific massage package the cost shouldn’t fluctuate after which. That doesn’t seem fair at all. There are plenty of other nice professional places to get a massage, and I suggest you go there!!! I would NEVER recommend anyone to Massage Envy.
I also sent a copy of this to the Massage Envy corporate office requesting an explanation. I have yet to receive a response.
More Massage Envy Complaints & Reviews
- Massage Envy - misleading prices
- Massage Envy - harassment
- Massage Envy - account freeze / no refund cancellation
- Massage Envy - Asking for credit card over phone before services
- Massage Envy - managerial corruption/sexual harassment
- Massage Envy - injury
- Massage Envy - fraud and scam
- Massage Envy - no response when requesting service
- Massage Envy - multiple credit card submissions/charges
- Massage Envy Shea Scottsdale AZ - online booking