Massage Envy - Eagle Glen (Corona, CA)services received insufficient

S

I went for the introductory $39 price for a one-hour massage (actually only 50 minutes, which is explained in small print). I was happy with it and signed up for a membership with my relatives.

I wanted to try their other massages, originally thinking I'd get the member rates and they would be the same (i.e. $39 for 1 hour massage; $57 for 1.5 hour massage; $78 for 2 hour massage [minus 10 minutes for disrobing, re-robing, and discussion with massage therapist]). Turns out that only the Swedish massage are those rates. The other massages, including the hot stone massages, are charged at different rates (even though nothing in any of the brochures say that).

For example, a deep tissue massage for 1 hour (really 50 minutes) will cost you the 1.5 hours massage rate. The hot stone therapy massage for 1.5 hours (really 80 minutes) will cost you the 2.0 hours massage rate. When I asked originally how long the massage was for the hot stone therapy, I was told 90 minutes. Well, I received only 80 minutes and when I went to complain, they apologized for "my misunderstanding." Um, I didn't misunderstand anything. I specifically asked how long the MASSAGE was, not how long the "session" was. They tried to palm it off on "session" versus "massage" and didn't offer anything to make me happy (not a discount on the massage since I didn't get what I contracted for, or anything).

Well, a complaint to the Better Business Bureau is in order. I also do in-between massages (well, I did for the last 2 months) but won't be doing that anymore, at least at Massage Envy. I found another massage / day spa that offers 60 minute massages (a real 60 minutes, rather than 50 minutes, at least that's what they tell me) for only $45. Throw in a real 60 minute facial and both together = $80. I will try that one out (Time 2 Relax Day Spa in Norco, CA) and see if it turns out okay.

Sam17 Jan 11, 2010

Any place that tries to lock you in at a special rate and has so many caveats is a true scam. I would avoid Massage Envy at all costs. It's almost as if they're trying to pass off their services as "luxury for the poor man." well, no thank you. I'd rather pay $20 more per visit and have the flexibility to pay as I go. Most importantly, I want to avoid the creepy "time share property" type of environment.