Malaysia Airlinesflight reschedule

R Nov 26, 2017

So this is how me and my family's flight schedule was:

Penang > Kuala Lumpur (MAS) (departs 10.40 a.m.)
Kuala Lumpur > Singapore (Singapore Air) (departs 2.30 p.m.)
Singapore > San Francisco (Singapore Air) (departs 6.30 p.m.)

We received a message from MAS at 4 a.m. (obviously at that time we was still asleep) saying that my flight from Penang to Kuala Lumpur has been delayed to 1 p.m. When we woke up, we saw the message and quickly made my way to the airport because I was afraid I will miss my flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. We went to the MAS center and told them about my situation. After 35 minutes of waiting, they told me that everything is gonna be alright and I should not worry. They said they'll arrange an express team such that when I arrive in Kuala Lumpur, that team will assist me to my flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore.

Lo and behold, when we arrived in Kuala Lumpur, there was no sight of an assist team. The gate was empty. There were no MAS staff around. We started panicking and ran to the nearest center for help. At that time, it was already 2.10 p.m. The MAS staff at the center couldn't help us at all. Instead, they blamed it on Singapore Airlines because they couldn't hold the flight for us. MAS acted as if it wasn't their fault at all and they should not be blamed. They told me that it's Singapore Airlines fault because they did not hold the flight for us.

So thanks to MAS, it was a domino effect. I missed my flight to Singapore and to San Francisco. We went to the Singapore Air office at the airport in Kuala Lumpur and told them about our situation. They said this kind of misinformation happens a lot with MAS. They give false information and don't take blame for it. I was very impressed with Singapore Air because even though it wasn't their fault, they helped us with getting the next available flight from Malaysia to Singapore and to San Fransisco. Kudos to Singapore Airlines. Our flight back to San Francisco was delayed by 3 days.

That being said, after this horrific experience with MAS, I don't think I'll ever fly with them again. They have caused mental and physical stress to my parents.