Magztermagzter — charging credit card without immediate prior permission

J

Magzter — Charging credit card without immediate prior permission

I had taken a Magzter Gold subscription offer a year ago with [protected]@gmail.com as my account id. I was extremely dissatisfied with the product (difficult downloads) and hardy ever used it. Unfortunately, i had done a credit card purchase and so Magzter had my credit card details.

I wasn't aware that the subscription was up for renewal since the subscription was hardly considered worth using. I had already written off my loss on this bad purchase decision. However on the annual renewal date, i was surprised by a text message that my account was charged by Magzter. Please note that there was no prior email or text notifications to warn / notify me that y account would be charged soon. This despite the fact that Magzter otherwise routinely spams my account with their promotion emails.

Had i known that Magzter would again charge me, i would have even ventured to cancel my credit card!!!. I have written back to them for a refund for a subscription that i have no intention of ever using but all i have got is an assurance to the effect is that that they wont charge me again next year in 2018!. As if i am not going to delete my magzter account about 11 months prior to that!!. And they have also promised me store credits which probably would have been better deployed in improving their product and customer response.

I don't want to be a forced Magzter customer. I clearly want a refund for a product that i don't want!. I didn't sign-up to buy a 2 year subscription with payment every year so any renewal has to happen with my explicit permission just prior to charging my credit card.

• Updated by justkazi · Feb 26, 2017

...where does Magzter get the right to store my credit card details and use them whenever they need to??
    ...why doesn't Magzter clearly mention that its a multi-year contract with annual payments required?
    ...Someone needs to take a lead to aggregate similar aggrieved Magzter users to seek collective relief from the courts of law.

• Magzter's response · Feb 27, 2017

Hi Justkazi,

We understand that you are not satisfied with the response provided by our support desk.

We would like to inform you that all subscriptions purchased through Magzter are renewed automatically by our system unless cancelled.

We have also mentioned it clearly in the checkout page that you can cancel the auto-renewal of your subscriptions at any time.

We request you to send an email to our helpdesk at [email protected] and our support team will definitely assist you with a better resolution for this issue.

We look forward to hearing from you.

• Updated by justkazi · Feb 27, 2017

Repeated emails (12 exchanged) haven't helped me get my money back that Magzter has taken by unauthorised storage and use of my credit card details.

Have sent another email along with an image of your response on this site. Let's see...

Madhu19 Mar 01, 2018

Hi All,

recently i have also subscribed for gold magazine for 3 months and there after without my knowledge they are auto renewing the same every month. When asked to customer care they said it is auto renewal by default... Fine OK but atleast Magzter guys should have sent the intimation before expiry and renewal of the same, also they should have sent me the reciept once auto renewed. I have never authorized them to store my card details but silently storing the card details and auto renewing every month is like a cheater job. Magzter doing this job is unbelievable and their management should start looking into existing process to make it more customer centric.