Lumosityscam

I signed up for Lumosity just to see how much it costs etc... I got an email 3 days later showing how much I've improved after my first lesson, showing my BPI was in the 92nd percentile, with bars graphs for Speed, Memory, Attention, Flexibility, and Problem Solving. I never went through ANY lesson. This information is all made up and purely fictional.

• Hallie_Lumosity Aug 03, 2012

Sorry for the confusion RayWickman! That email wasn't meant to represent your BPI improvement. Since you hadn't trained yet that would be impossible. It was a sample BPI chart meant to instruct you on how to read your History pages after you began training. Based on your feedback though, we're going to make some changes to this email so it's more clear. Thanks for your feedback, and for helping us to communicate with our members. Please let us know if you have any questions.

• Sh
    Shalei Oct 28, 2012

I keep getting charged after I canceled and I try to re cancel but they dont return emails or phone calls. How conveint. They have also disabled the "delete" account button.

• Na
    NaNaRosie Dec 22, 2012

I've just joined Lumosity today and found it fun and fascinating. i would like the membership maybe as a b-day present or something like that. However, if Lumosity is a scam, I won't. Would someone mind confirming this for me?
    Thanks!
    Rosie

• Hallie_Lumosity Dec 31, 2012

Sorry for any trouble Lumosity Hater. You should not be charged on an account as long as you cancelled auto-renewal before your next billing date. It's possible you may have deleted an account other than the one associated with your subscription. Contact us via the help desk so we can give you more information on what may have happened. Here's a direct link: http://help.lumosity.com/home

NaNa Rosie: if you're interested learning more about current and concluded research on Lumosity, please visit our Research page here: http://www.lumosity.com/the-science/research-on-lumosity, or read our white paper "The Science Behind Lumosity" here: http://www.lumosity.com/documents/the_science_behind_lumosity.pdf.

You can also see our A rating on Better Business Bureau's website here: http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/health-and-fitness/lumositycom-in-san-francisco-ca-206169

• Hallie_Lumosity Dec 31, 2012

Sorry for any trouble, Lumosity Hater. As long as you cancelled auto-renewal on your subscription before your next billing date you should not have been charged again. It's possible you may have deleted an account other than the one associated with your active subscription. If you contact us via the help desk, we should be able to give you more information about your account.

NaNaRosie, if you're interested in learning more about current and concluded research on Lumosity, please visit our Research page here: http://www.lumosity.com/the-science/research-on-lumosity, or read our white paper "The Science Behind Lumosity" here: http://www.lumosity.com/documents/the_science_behind_lumosity.pdf.

You can also view our A rating on the Better Business Bureaus' website here: http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/health-and-fitness/lumositycom-in-san-francisco-ca-206169

Please feel free to ask us any questions, we're here to help.

• Ko
    koneleslie Jan 09, 2013

I signed up for a family plan I could not get anyone on the plan. I put in a complaint, It's been 8 days and no one has contacted me. Iwill not renew.

• Hallie_Lumosity Jan 09, 2013

We're so sorry for the trouble koneleslie! There's an intermittent bug which is preventing certain accounts from being added to certain family plans. It sounds like you are one of the people affected! We know there have been delays in responding to inquiries, but there has been an unexpectedly high volume of emails and our support team is working overtime to answer them. They should get back to you very shortly with a fix! We really appreciate your patience and will do everything we can to make it up to all the customers effected by this bug!

Marita48 Jan 13, 2013

I upgraded to the family plan. My daughter couldn't open her account and a friend said she must pay if she wants to play certain games. I haven't received feed-back from the other two members yet, but all four names disappeared from my account

Marita48 Jan 13, 2013

I upgraded recently to your family plan and all four names disappeared from my account. My daughter can't open her account and is waiting for feed-back you for almost a week. My friend says she must pay if she wants to play certain games. I haven't had feedback from the other two members yet

• Hallie_Lumosity Jan 13, 2013

Sorry for the delay in answering Marita48! Unfortunately there's an intermittent bug which is preventing certain accounts from being added to certain family plans. It sounds like you are one of the people affected. Our engineers are hard at work fixing the problem and our customer service agents are working over time to get back to everyone who has been affected! We know we aren't able to get back to everyone as quickly as we usually can and we appreciate your patience while we get you and your family access to your family plan.

• Ca
    cantstandthehype Jan 26, 2013

I have an account that I have been paying for months through monthly debits. Suddenly today my account said my trial period was over and I needed to pay. I have paid up until the mid of Feb. Now I can't practice and I don't think I want to renew.

• Hallie_Lumosity Jan 26, 2013

Sorry for the trouble cantstandthehype! It sounds like you may have two different Lumosity accounts - one that is subscribed on a monthly plan, and one free account on a trial that has ended. It's possible that you are inadvertently logging into your free account when you're intending to log into your paid account. Contact us via the help desk so we can get you logged into your paid account, cancel billing if you'd still like to do that, and even delete your free account to cut down on confusion. Here's a direct link: help.lumosity.com/home

• Ki
    Ki-Kao Jan 27, 2013

Having the same thing with the family plan. No answer from the support as well.
    We decided to go for the family plan this year, and now my husband's daily training has become quite impossible. Very much disappointed. Having been an active member for a year, I was beginning to think Lumosity never has such problems.
    Well, I hope the bug with the family plan will be solved. And I wouldn't mind my Family plan account to be prolonged for the term nobody could actually use it.

• Hallie_Lumosity Jan 27, 2013

So sorry for the trouble Ki-Kao! There's an intermittent bug which is preventing certain accounts from being added to certain family plans. It sounds like you are one of the people affected. Our engineers are working to fix the bug now, and at the same time our customer service team is working over time to get back to everyone. Unfortunately we're experiencing an unprecedentedly high volume of request and we know we aren't able to get back to everyone as quickly as we usually can :( We really appreciate your patience while an agent gets back to you, and gets your family activated on your plan.

• La
    Latest scam victim Feb 06, 2013

So on 9th January there was a bug for the family plan which you were working on very hard to resolve, but on 27 th January you still get complaints for the same problem, and have found no solution, and the 6 th Feb you are still accepting subscriptions to said plan knowing it doesn't work as I have found to my dismay, and still no solution, what is amounts to is a scam, you get the money off people for a service that does not exist, very bad practice, company to be avoided

• Hallie_Lumosity Feb 07, 2013

I'm sorry that you feel we've mislead you! To clarify, our Family Plan has been fully functional for the majority of customers since its inception a few years ago. At the end of December, we rolled out some changes to the way we determine the access level of a Lumosity account. During that time, certain Family Plans became unusable for very small percentage of customers. There was never a time that the majority of our Family Plans were broken, which is why we continued to offer the Family Plan. During this time, our support team prioritized Family Plan issues and worked with customers individually to restore their access.

Are you still having trouble accessing your Family Plan? If so please contact us via the help desk so we can resolve your problem. If you've already contacted us and aren't happy with the resolution of your issue can you message us here on Complaints Board with your username so we can look into what may have happened? Thanks.

• Be
    BehindTheCow Feb 08, 2013

The fact that this "auto-renewal" feature doesn't seem to be something that can be opted out of right from the beginning but rather, is activated automatically, seems questionable in and of itself., Furthermore, having worked in the customer service department of a large corporation myself, statements such as "an intermittent bug which is preventing" do sound a tad like the fodder we were told to feed dissatisfied customers to help clear our cue of inquiries faster as necessary, rather than spend the time tracking down the actual issue for the customer. Realistically, I'm having trouble imagining what sort of bug or error would affect a database of accounts in this fashion, targeting only a select few.

• Mi
    Mickeyklsb Feb 17, 2013

Why doesn't Lumosity post their prices up front? This feels like a scam to me. I would never sign up for a service without knowing the details first. It provides them with my info to sell or just use to harass me. I am sure I'm not the only person that feels this way.

I was considering signing up for the Lumosity Friends and Family Plan, but I would NEVER sign up for something if I didn't know how much it cost up front. I'm probably going with Mind Spark, at least they tell you the price up front. I will look around first and see whats out their first.

• Na
    narcissists beware Feb 19, 2013

It is scam-science meant to cater to your ego. You can train yourself to be good at their tasks, but it wont get you into mensa.. sorry.

• Be
    BethRogers Jul 11, 2013

My mother recently purchased what she 'thought' was a Family and Friends plan with Luminosity, but it turned out it was just an Individual plan. She's trying to find out how to upgrade to a family plan, but the only option(s) she can see is for upgrading to a higher level individual plan. She tried contacting customer support but they didn't give any helpful answers. She's already paid for the individual plan, so buying a whole new family plan would be a waste of money. Why isn't there an option to upgrade from an individual plan to a family plan? If there is an option, where is it on the web site? And can she apply her 30% discount promotion to the upgrade since the family plan is what she wanted in the first place?

• Al
    alex123786 Jul 21, 2013

LUMOSITY knows that, their claim regarding brain function improvement is not true and all the research is BS and fixed.
    That is the reason why they have a person responding to every complaint they get or every bad review they receive.
    Gives me a feeling that they are trying to hide the true facts and mislead consumers with excuses and misleading facts.

• As
    asherd Jul 28, 2013

I tried to sign up, it said someone already had that email. It must have been me, so I told it I forgot my password, and when I entered
    my email, it told me no one uses that email!

• As
    asherd Jul 28, 2013

There's a bug.

• Sr
    Sraj2013 Sep 02, 2013

Interesting, I was going to sign up for a family plan but maybe I'll wait until they've sorted out their bugs. Lumosity?

• airwolfflies Jan 06, 2014

That Lumosity is a SCAM!
    I signed up hoping to try some of their supposed brain increasing capability games.
    All I got were adds from them to unlock the next game! WtF is THAT all about?
    Then I tried to start my supposed training session and the website put an overlay over my complaint message that made it nearly impossible to see what I was typing to lodge a complaint! Then there is this [protected]@Lumosity who responds to every email complaint. Nobody could physically do this, it would fall to a certain department with various employees answering those emails. Not once was I able to try any of those Lumosity games without a distracting unlock message from them!

• La
    Larry B.. Apr 22, 2014

I have an eight year old son with Autism. As the parent of a special needs child you are willing to go to any length and try anything to improve your child's ability to function as close to normal as possible. Very shortly after subscribing to "Lumosity's Family Plan", I attempted to cancel. I attempted many times via e-mail and through their customer service vehicles. They claim to have a money back guarantee. This policy is too short of a time and I believe it is abused by them at their own will. After many attempts, I finally got a response by e-mail. After 60 days of being a subscriber / member / owner of the software, They refused my refund. I'm #%[email protected]* for the money and, they have my credit card number. Do I want a company such as this to have my credit card number?
    First of all their family and friends plan requires you email the invite to the other people and then set up each account which is difficult to navigate. Secondly if you invite your child to have an account you must set up an email for each whether you want them to have one or not. Then after further inspections of their material I find that it is NOT recommended for children. This company only wants your $100.00 and is nothing more than an adult Internet puzzle game. You may as well play Candy Crush or on of those Facebook games. Larry B.. EHT, NJ

• St
    STFU1020 May 17, 2014

Luminosity is a rip off. The games start out fine...you complete the freebies, sign up (1 yr) and after a few weeks you noticed you're locked out of certain games...you're told to get these games again "sign up for the full version." I'm sorry, what was the years subscription for? I don't like the way they want you to carte blanche your credit card number. They're creating research on your dime...seems to me they should pay us.

• Je
    JeaniePro Oct 10, 2014

You are locked in for a year and cannot stop the monthly billing until the year is up. Everyone is talking about this online and not happy. If it was so good, they wouldn't need to lock you in. Lumosity will be gone in short order.

• Kr
    K Rukov Oct 27, 2014

no honey, it is not a scan .. But you clearly need to subscribe because i can tell that you are with really low IQ ;)

• Sc
    Screwed by Lumosity Nov 15, 2014

I came, I paid, and I got screwed. I signed up for a lifetime membership. I use it rarely. But now when i log in I'm directed to some testing followed by an offer to go to my personalized training program. When I click that I'm only offered several payment plans as if I weren't already a member. Disgusting.

• He
    hernanesmal May 12, 2015

No me sale Lumosity en ESPAÑOL y tengo dificultades en abrirlo.
    Yo pagué por dos años a partir del 10 ? de mayo de 2015, pero me sale información mía de hace 5 ? años, cuando lo suspendí,
    espero que no haya confusión. Por favor chequee mi cuenta.
    Gracias

• Va
    Valued Customer lol Dec 01, 2015

I need a direct email address for someone at Lumosity (staff) I have emailed you 4 times and had no response at all. I need to contact you urgently! Also what does "solved" mean when it is next to my messages to you.

• Al
    AllPowerful Mar 22, 2016

Why do they hide their prices? I guess I'm not surprised, seeing as how they had to pay $2 million to settle FTB's lawsuit regarding their deceptive business practices. Wow, based on everything I read in this complaint, I am staying far far away from their website. I cannot trust a business seemingly formed on a foundation of lies and false promises, all while bilking unsuspecting consumers out of millions.

From FTC's website: Lumosity to Pay $2 Million to Settle FTC Deceptive Advertising Charges for Its “Brain Training” Program https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2016/01/lumosity-pay-2-million-settle-ftc-deceptive-advertising-charges

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices