LiquorLandflawed execution of rules...

L

I was just in The Corso in Manly NSW. I am a 53 year old woman and I was with my 18 year old daughter. I got 1 bottle wine out of the fridge and as I was getting my wallet out of my bag I asked my daughter to pass me another bottle. When I was about to pay the shop assistant asked my daughter for ID. She didn't have it with her. He said he still needed ID even though I said I was buying the 2 bottles. I asked was it because my daughter touched the bottle and he said yes. I said I would put that bottle back which I did and he then proceeded to charge me for the bottle that my daughter didn't touch. Plus as I was putting the "touched" bottle back he asked my daughter did she drink wine. Her answer was no...Very embarrassing for her as she was just innocently helping her mother.

Very flawed interpretation and execution of rules.
1. It was obvious that we were mother and daughter.
2. If it was my intention to procure alcohol for a minor your shop assistant didn't prevent that as he still sold me one bottle.

As a regular customer I find this heavy handed approach insulting and suggestive of bad parenting.

• Be
    Bernie2533 Oct 09, 2017

If Liquorland are going to enforce a policy of demanding ID from people accompanying the person purchasing alcohol maybe they should make their stores a restricted area with only over 18's being able to enter the shop. The current ad hoc and inconsistent policy is insulting, demeaning and unnecessary for the majority of customers. Staff should be better trained in identifying risks and should not indiscriminately enforce this policy on customers who clearly do not pose a risk of procuring alcohol for minors. It seems Liquorland would rather risk insulting their customers in order to reduce their risk of breaking the actual law. They should not be taking the high moral ground and policing the way we buy alcohol from them if we are legally able to buy it, they are the ones making the big profits. Liquorland are using a hard handed discretionary policy to protect themselves.