Kenmore Refrigerator — ptc relay burns causing smoke
My wife was in the kitchen when it suddenly filled with a white, foul smelling smoke. I quickly disconnected all appliances and opened all windows. After a couple hours it was marginally bearable to begin plugging devices back in. The smell became worse as soon as the refrigerator was reconnected. I unplugged it again and removed the cardboard cover from the back. Plugging it back in caused the PTC relay on the compressor to start to burn. Much of the plastic had already burned and some had melted. I would be surprised if the smoke is not highly toxic. The relay did not unplug easily from the compressor as one contact seems welded together from sparking. As yet I have not replaced the relay but have contacted the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and emailed Sears. I find it unbelievable that as many complaints as I have read Sears hasn't yet issued a recall!