Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washerrusting around bleach dispenser

R Review updated:

Sears purchase 12/2010 five top of line appliances following remodel. Problem: RUST around Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washer liquid bleach dispenser. I have been trying to resolve this with Sears for 2+ months without help from Sears. I want them to provide excellent customer service and am not getting any service. There are lots of complaints about this rust issue on Sears site -- only read one where Sears stood up and replaced the washer collar twice. I was told that no rust protection was to be provided by ANY warranty. The whole washer body has or had a 3 year body protection... I have gone thru 2 years of severe injury and illness making me unable to deal with more issues other than trying to stay alive. Having recovered a great deal I am (and have been for 2+ months) to get this resolved without success. Most of the staff have been horrible, there are a few that listened but could or would not help -- I got the part number, purchase cost but can't get a firm quote on getting a tech out. I get conflicting quotes on all pricing.

I think this should be covered and replaced without cost - a manufacturing defect not caused by me/our household. Our maintenance of our belongings is unquestionable, our home is heated/air conditioned and we don't open to outside moisture --- so that is not an issue. The lid is always left open so there is not an issue there either.

If Sears will not be standup about this and fix it asap I will never again waste my monies at Sears for any purchase.

• SearsCare Oct 30, 2013

RustyWasherFromSears,
    We thank you for informing us about this matter regarding the rust around your Kenmore Elite High Efficiency Washer liquid bleach dispenser. My name is Dianne and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. At Sears we pride ourselves on making sure our valued members are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. We understand your frustration in this situation and would be more than happy to speak to you further on what has transpired and offer our assistance to help. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (RustyWasherFromSears) and the phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected]

Dianne D.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

• Pu
    Puck it Dec 12, 2014

I have the same washer and rusting in the same location. Sears and Kenmore will do nothing about. I have bought my last product from Sears.

Kenmoregarbage Jan 27, 2016

I have same washer and there is a million complaints received per manager. I wish I was rich to higher a lawyer about this. Everyone is have problems with bleach dispenser rusting! It's a defect! Not because bleach isn't wiped up! I've had several other washers that lasted 10 plus years never had this problem!

Kenmore washers suck Oct 02, 2016

I also have rust around, my bleach dispenser
    All kenmore washers I hav seen do this . They say you have to wipe off area after u use bleach .
    I don't use bleach we use oxi clean so go figure .
    Do not buy a kenmore/ Whirlpool
    They r not rated good.
    We r having to buy new for cosmetic reasons other wise our clothes will be ruined with rust

Kenmore washers suck Oct 02, 2016

Sears wants u to buy a coverage for 250.00 and they will replace the cover.
    It cost about the same to just buy a new one after they charge u extra for service fee

• Ki
    Kim Graf Sly Jan 29, 2017

I have the same problem with my washer. I think I have used bleach 1 time in the past 6 years. I called Sears in 2013 about this and was told there wasn't a recall on this and it should be ok. Now it's 6 years and the rust is ridiculous. I plan on calling Sears this week as apparently this is a huge problem.

• Ra
    Rayc11949 Feb 25, 2018

My kenmore elite is only 7 years old and the rust is so bad i cant use the washer now.

• Sh
    Sheila Gallegos May 18, 2018

Model # 29272 has rust at the dispenser site and leaves rush spots on my clothes.

• Md
    mdhec Jun 01, 2018

I have the Kenmore Oasis Elite he ($1400) and a whirlpool dryer ($750) both from Sears. They have had so many problems through the years, rust is not the exception. I am reaching the point where my washer will be unable do to the rust around the lid and other areas. At this point, maintenance has been more expensive than what I paid for them originally.
    I urge everyone to do their homework before buying anything from Sears and if possible, stay away!

• Li
    LiMiBos Jun 06, 2018

I have the same problem but my Kenmore Elite washer is rusting all around the top, not just the bleach dispenser (which I very rarely use!). The worst area is where the water dispenses when a wash cycle starts. Soon I will not be able to open the tray where you put the detergent, as the rust is so bad it is rubbing on the tray. If anyone from Kenmore is reading this, take a look at the pictures. This is a known problem and Kenmore doesn't want to do anything about it. I have owned many washers over the years, including Kenmore and I have NEVER had a washer do this before! This is clearly a defective product.

• Gr
    gregc11514 Feb 19, 2019

@LiMiBos I would not wash my clothes in that. Got to be rust getting into them. Sad to see

NoMoKenmo Sep 22, 2018

Our Kenmore Elite top loader HE also has rust around the bleach dispenser. My call to Sears a year or so ago got me a flippant answer of "you can get Rustoleum paint at Wal-Mart." Ridiculous. Already went through the stator replacement battle when the washer was BRAND NEW and nearly taking the wall out of our new house. That took many phone calls and emails before a technician was sent out to fix it. It's sad to have to buy service plans on appliances now, which we fortunately did; this was my first new washer-dryer pair in my whole life, after decades of buying used Whirlpool pairs (total of 2 sets). HE washer isn't. Grows scoodge and mold. The water you save HE washing is used up trying to clean the washer with bleach, vinegar, borax, whatever. And then you have to leave it yawning like a hippo in the utility room to keep it from blooming more spores. I hope whoever designed this machine has to live with and use one at home.

Annette Christine Anderson Oct 01, 2018

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Washer in 2014 and now my washer is rusting around the bleach dispenser and I am being told that it is not covered under Sears most expensive warranty that I purchased.
    I am livid beyond measure. The machine I had before this was 25 years old and had no rust at all on it. I want it replaced or fixed immediately!
    Sears is pretty much telling me get lost!

• So
    sodent Nov 06, 2018

time for class action

• Ca
    Carlsk Dec 26, 2018

I have the same problem, but mine is also rusting where you put in the detergent..the machine was not even 4 yrs old, called sears as I had bought the extended warranty, but they said it did not cover rust...I said, it is a washing machine there should be no rust! It’s so bad now, we need to replace it, so frustrated, there should be a recall with all the complaints.

• Ti
    Tina Bloomfield Jan 08, 2019

I have the same issue. Entire top is rusting out! I’m so frustrated & feel they should replace our washers. These machines should not be rusting!!! They are new & were expensive. I will never by anything kenmore.

JohnK19022 Jan 21, 2019

I too have the same problem. It’s rusting out on the bottom inside lip of the top shroud adjacent to the detergent and bleach dispensers and connecting between them.

• Gr
    gregc11514 Feb 19, 2019

Same problem same washer. Here's an added twist. I had a repairman over to fix it, needed a new intake valve assembly. Thankfully it was under the extended warranty. When he lifted the top piece off, I could see the rust was way more extensive past the bleach dispenser. Basically it's rusting through. He said its a problem and its not covered by Sears. He said in short time I'll have to deal with the rust. I will deal with it into the garbage. I WAS a loyal Sears customer. But with all the bankruptcy talk and bad business and now inferior appliances I AM DONE with Sears. Next time something breaks with it. Goodbye. Its obvious Sears has lost their key business values. Good products and good service. Now it's cheap products and minimal service. I used to buy EVERYTHING at Sears. Tools, lawn mowers, snow blowers, clothing.. christmas gifts. Now I hardly go. Sad. It was such a great store.

• Hr
    HRachel Mar 18, 2019

I have the same problem. The entire area around the bleach dispenser is rusted. Also the lid hinges. I've sanded and applied rustoleum appliance spray paint two different times but that lasts about 1 month. Very frustrated!! White clothes are coming out with rust spots!!

• Gl
    Glenndalee Apr 26, 2019

Same problem here and my sears had closed down.

• Is
    Isabelle Flores Jun 05, 2019

Same problem, tried to get Sears to fix/replace no help. To expensive to try “fixing it”. The washer was expensive and should’ve lasted longer!

• Is
    Isabelle Flores Jun 05, 2019

Another pic, this are is much worse.

• Dn
    [email protected] Jun 05, 2019

Mine is doing the same thing.

• Ki
    Kimselepec Aug 11, 2019

Yes, same thing for me with my Kenmore Elite. I have never used bleach and it is rusted all around the bleach dispenser. I had another washer for 18 years and no rust.

• Ru
    Rusty5296 Oct 17, 2019

Sears customer service was non existent to me. Bought our Kenmore "elite" roughly 4 years ago. We literally never use the bleach or detergent bin(we always put the liquid directly on the clothing or use a pod. However the entire time is rusted out and chips off during washing cycles. This is an obvious defect or result of cheap parts. Either way this should not occur on a washer with this hefty price tag. I too was hit with the "rust is not covered" by a customer service-less Sears. I was however given the option to purchase their home warranty...at a nominal fee I can purchase some what I would hope to be basic customer service...that should be free. Unfortunately that experience was a nightmare...with a price tag. It took over 6 weeks to get a repair. The company that finally came out never called me...answered my calls...zero communication. Sears did absolutely nothing about it. Not a single thing. Tough luck mister customer. Eventually I was given the option of a base model GE model that was 2/3 less that what I paid. Sears has lost my business forever. I don't normally post these but it has been that bad of an experience.

• Ru
    Rusted Out Nov 20, 2019

Mine is horrible! I always thought Kenmore was the best but NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE ANY KENMORE PRODUCT.

• Ne
    Nel1960 Dec 27, 2019

I contacted sears regarding the severe rust issues around the lid and elsewhere. The sears warranty rep said the warranty doesn’t cover normal wear and tear. My reply, this isn't normal wear and tear, there is a defect with the protective coating used. I’ve had washing machine for many years and never experienced anything like this. My wife is a nurse and the rust is staining her uniforms; we’re currently searching new washing machine. Let me add, the new washing machine will not be a Kenmore.

• To
    Tonigirl52 Feb 18, 2020

I also have the same problem and it’s been a nightmare. I so loved this washer but now the rust is starting to get into clothes! I can’t afford a new washer at this time does anyone have suggestions on how to stop the rust from spreading through the washer? I do not use bleach so never ever put bleach into the dispenser so bleach was not the culprit! Is there a recall on this washer?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices