Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] Really Bad Business Ethics

I know you have either come to this site to be proactive (I HOPE) or you just got "Duked" by Just Brakes and your complaint is like many of the ones on this board. You just went in for a simple brake job and Just Brakes Company came with a list of issues to fix or they tried to hustle you.

Please note... I want to know what's wrong with my car so, I can be proactive to fix the issue before it leaves me stranded but when I hear opinions from so called "Professionals" that does not seem to be legit, I begin to look further into the issue.

I went to Just Brakes for the $99.00 break special which I received. I drove off the the lot and my car's breaks were squealing loudly at every stop. I went home to wash my break pads because the break dust causes "MOST" Squealing from the brakes.

This did not totally fix the issue so, I took it back to find out what was wrong. I gave Just Brakes my wife's Cell (Which was not on their records) so, we could leave and they can call us to return when it was all done. Being my wife's number was not the original number they had to look up old records from the initial repair they had no records of the pre-inspection of my breaks.

Just Breaks Manager called me on my wife's cell and stated "Your Brake Calipers were bad and needed replacing to stop the squealing". I told the manager that it was not riding on the calipers and the calipers were fine because the car stopped fine and the brakes released fine when I let off the Brake Pedal and the only time I heard the squealing was when I was stopping.

The Just Brakes Manager went on and on about how bad my calipers were and insisted I change them. At the end of our conversation I drove back into Just Brakes to speak with the manager face to face so, we can truly understand the situation. When I finally got to the area where my car was they had a guy working frantically on putting my wheels back on the car. I asked the manager If i could see the problem he says we have already put your tires back on but you need new calipers and kept with this and the reasons why I needed to fix this issue. I said to the manager why didn't you say this the first time you inspected my breaks and the manager said this is your first time here... I gave them my cell number a their it was, my first inspection saying nothing about my calipers so, this sounded "Shady" so, I took my car to my personal mechanic in Snellville, GA and after his viewing he said I had NO, Not one issue with my calipers and the reason my breaks were squealing was because of the cheap pads Just Breaks placed on my car. After my mechanic put on new Metallic Brake Pads... No more squealing! Imagine that... Just Brakes wanted to make more money on such a simple job. No integrity and No Business ethics. Take your chance with these guys but I promise you will not be satisfied with their work.

LEARN BY LISTENING TO OTHERS AND IF NOT YOU WILL SOON BE THE HANDS ON EXPERT! Thank you all for your thoughts... I will do my research before hand from now on and I hope you will too.

• Gv
    gvb95 Jul 10, 2009

We had a similar experience with Just Brakes service in Snellville about a year ago. They tried to convince me and my husband that our Honda 2006 disks are in very bad shape and need replacement. The guy said that I had only 2-3 weeks to drive before I have a big problem with my car. Of course, the repair price went from $99 for just changing the brake pads to at least $500. Fortunately, my husband realized what’s going on and refused an offer. A year later, I didn’t have any issue with my car as Just Brakes professionals were predicting and glad that we didn’t change Honda original disks to some cheap disks that would have been installed.

• Pl
    plc7892 Jul 22, 2010

My mother took her car four year old car to this location and was told that there were major problems (calipers, leak in the back cylinders rotors, etc) with her entire brake system. The estimate was nearly $800.00. She called me upset and I instructed her to have them put the car back together and take it somewhere else. After having another inspection done, it was determined that there is nothing wrong with her brakes... including the fact that she has another 3000 miles or so before the pads even need to be replaced.

• Sv
    Svarog Oct 11, 2010

I went to just brakes on thousand oaks for there 99.00 dollar special wow 975.00 dollars later i couldnt belive it ...well as i was waiting for my advisor to tell me about my brakes i notice that there was another shop near by kwik kar ... I decided to get a second opinion so i stop by the store mgr Jesse greeted me in the parking lot walk me inside with out me even telling him what just brakes had told me about my brakes i allowed him to give me his version he said all i needed was frt brake pads clean and adjust rears and he suggested a brake flush $249.99 later i was on my way home these people need to be arrested and out off business

• Br
    brc1971 Mar 02, 2012

Sadly the customer's experience is typical. I worked for Just Brakes for over 10 years and the store managers are pushed to "up sell". When brakes are repaired, using the best quality parts is very important. You never want to "go cheap" with brake parts or rely on minimum wage employees to repair your brakes. Be safe and take your auto to a trusted repair facility, ask friends and family who they trust if you are not certain who should do repairs.

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to serving you.

Marion S Nov 20, 2014

I went to Just Brakes in Snellville GA on 9/27/2014. The same issue i was having at that time is the same issue that I am having today. I took my car to the dealership for an oil change and at that moment it was discovered that Just Brakes never shaved my rotors as they claimed. My brakes began squeaking again-only louder. I paid over $200.00 for no services. I am very disappointed and i dont understand how are they allowed to stay in business..

[Resolved] Awful experience

On February 16, 2009, I went to Just Brakes in Stockbridge Georgia, because the highly attractive advertisement promised customers $99.98 brake job for both front and rear brake pads! Upon completion of the inspection, the Manager told me that they only carried the front pads for my 2004 Toyota Highlander, and that the rear pads were a 'specialty' pad, since they did not have them in stock and charged me an extra $88+ to have their 'source' deliver them to the shop. To my surprise, other Just Brakes locations carried the same brake pads in question. Ironically, another customer came in behind me with a 2001 Toyota Highlander, so while the manager was away, I warned him of their devious tactics. In addition, both the manager and the mechanic tried to get me to cough up an extra $788 for a brake fluid flush, rear rotors and from calipers. Oh, and did I mention that prior to this, Toyota changed my oil conducted a full complimentary inspection of my brakes and rotors and advised that I ONLY needed pads - nothing else. I have the inspectors signature to that effect. The only reason why I went to Just Brakes is because it would of course be cheaper than Toyota fixing the brakes. In conclusion, stay away from the Just Brakes shady mechanics and managers because what they'll tell you is JUST CRAP!!!

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

[Resolved] Don't go there!

I went for the $99 special. I was told my callipers or struts or something were leaking and something was wrong with my rotors and it would cost me $1300.00. Thinking my car was still under warranty, I took it to the dealership for a second opinion. As soon as I told them I had come from Just Brakes, they told me verbatim the lines I had just gotten from Just Brakes and said they do that to everyone and should be turned in to the Better Business Bureau! I then had my brakes done by my dealership. Now I'm disgusted every time I have to drive past this place! This place should be shut down! This was the shop on Russell Rd. in Henderson, NV, and I will never return there again and I will recommend the same to others.

[Resolved] Unauthorized billing

I should have used this site BEFORE going to Just Brakes...then I would have known their practices!

My car's brakes were squeaking, so I dropped off my car in the early morning for the $99 pads-and-shoes deal that they advertised - I'm new in Dallas, and thought they were my best option since I didn't know any local mechanics.

Mid-afternoon, I received a call saying that the car would need over $500 in repairs. The mechanic I talked too wouldn't give me too many specifics other than things like 'weak hoses, ' 'corroded rotors, ' 'dirty calipers' and such. He said it all in a tone that was like he was reading from a script.

However, I had had my car looked at by a mechanic I TRUSTED only about a month ago, before I moved, and he had only mentioned some wear on the pads. So I told the Just Brakes rep that I just wanted the pads and shoes replaced. He quoted me a new price, around $350, and said he wouldn't do any work unless I consented to at least that price. I told him just to put it back together and write me out a list of what was wrong, and I'd get a second opinion.

When I came back to get my car two hours later, the front right tire was completely flat! The mechanic vaguely mentioned something about how it was fine when they put it back on, and how 'slow leaks' can happen. These were 2-year-old tires that I'd checked one month ago and were filled when I came in. They finally agreed to fill up the tire, but accused me of 'cussing them out' and 'overreacting' when I simply asked to see a manager.

Five days later, and my tire is doing fine and has not lost any pressure. I'm not sure if the flat tire was due to incompetence or retaliation for turning them down, but I'm worried about what else they may have done to my brake system. I'm certainly doing my research before I take my car to another repair shop here!

• La
    Larry Feb 28, 2009

JUST BRAKES - Warning Apr 07, 2009

My brakes were squeaking, but only in the morning. I called to set up an appointment for 4:30 on April 6th, 2009. At 4:25 went to Just Brakes and stated I would wait for my car. Eric and Darren went over my car pointing out crystalized pads, and worn wheel cylinders. It would cost me $509.99, instead of their advertised price of $99.88. I told them I am a single mother and could not afford that. They said just do the $99.88 and the brake fluid flush at $39.99. (Eric said that brake fluid flush needed to be done every 12, 000 miles) I told them I needed to call someone and ask them what they thought. They said don't get the brake flush because if you need new wheel cylinders it will need to be done again. I told him to do the brakes at $99.88, but not the flush. Darren said to bring it back when I could do all of it. I told Darren to just put it all together and I will think about it. I went to another company Palm Tire Automotive and had them look at my brakes. Palm Tire said there was nothing wrong with my brakes at all, they did not need to be replaced, everything was fine, pads were fairly new. I was one of the lucky ones who asked someone else. I am so glad I have friends who know about brakes, because Just Brakes sounded very convincing. I am glad there are some companies you can still trust, JUST BRAKES IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

• Bp
    bpax Sep 17, 2009

OMG. They scammed me too. I'm about to go get my car and they kept calling me and raising the prices. Damn! This is crazy! Why are they such scam artists!!!

Annalicia13 Apr 27, 2010

JUST BRAKES IN TUCSON AZ. CHARGED ME $3150.00 FOR A WHOLE NEW BRAKE SYSTEM. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THEM TO DO THE WORK. THE MANAGER DAMEN REFUSES TO GIVE ME MY CAR, UNTIL I PAY FOR SOMETHING I DID NOT AUTHORIZE. I DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CAR TO GET ME TO WORK AND BACK. MY CAR IS A 1994 HONDA ACCORD. BLUE BOOK SAYS MY CAR IS NOT WORTH $3150.00. HOW CAN THESE GUYS GET AWAY WITH THIS? THANK YOU, ANNA IN TUCSON AZ.

[Resolved] Bait & Switch

I have been to some pretty sleazy places for car work but these guys top the list. I took my wife's car in for front break pads to be replaced and have the rotors machined since they advertised a good price. What was originally $99 to have the mentioned work done, sprang to $360 since the fast talking, pushy font desk guy insisted that they needed to add shims and a whole bunch of other stuff to the car so the job would be done right. I took the car instead to Sears and had everything done for $140. I called and asked Just Brakes why they quoted $360 when Sears did it for $140 and their response was, "Because Sears probably did it wrong". Needless to say my wife has had no problems after 2 years. These guys are crooks...DO NOT GO THERE !

• At
    atechnyc Feb 12, 2009

Are you saying this happened 2 years ago?

[Resolved] Stay away!

Just Brakes in Lakeland, went there 4 Feb 09. 2 customers in the office had been there for 3 hours, bill...

[Resolved] Same Just brakes complaint/ different day

Went to get the 99 dollar brake job from 'Just Brakes'. It was the worst experience of my life. The told me that I needed new rotors and calipers ( which I did not). I just needed new pads. My rotors were relatively new. He told me that he could not just put the pads on and the price was over 500 dollars. I told I cannot afford that. He told me that he cannot just do the pads again and priced it down to 400 dollars. Now, my brakes make a scrubbing sound when I press on the brakes after their repair and he told me that that sound should go away in a 'few hundred miles' of driving. I just went there for brake pads. Now, I have brakes that scrub when i press on them! NEVER GO TO JUST BRAKES!

• Bo
    Bob6525 May 01, 2014

They want all of your money whether your cars needs it or not. They are JUST FAKES!

[Resolved] Terrible experience

I called Just Brakes on 11/09/08 to get estimate for replacing brakes on my 2003 BMW X5. The rep. introduced himself as Bo-J and said it would cost $99 plus. He said to drop the car for an estimate. So, I dropped my car there and after 45 minutes he called me saying to come by and check to see what needs to be done. He wouldn't discuss the price on the phone. When I got there my car was on the lift with all four wheels off. His mechanic proceeded to show me that the boots on the front axle were torn and leaking oil. This seemed obscured since I just took the car to Honest-1 Auto a few week earlier for a brake inspection and they didn't mention anything about the boots being torn. Also the car was inspected at BMW dealership a few months ago! I just wanted to get the cheapest estimate available to replace the front brakes. My car has only 45K miles. It's highly unlikely that the axle boots would be torn like that. I think Just Brakes tore them! They wanted to charge me $550 to replace them. Also, they said I need fix the calipers because the piston is sticking. The cost = $220. Also, Bo-J said I need to replace both front and rear pads and rotors. The cost = $430. The grand total coming to $1200. What a Ripoff! I was furious. I told him to put the car back together and I am taking it somewhere else. He tried to convince me to fix it there because they would charge much less than the dealership. Upon leaving I told him that he'll hear from my attorney.

Joey Dec 25, 2008

• Ti
    Tiffany Jan 22, 2009

The bait and switched $99.88 plus plus plus

I went into Just Brakes on 12/23/08 and the price qoute that they had given me was $1207.00 to complete all the so call work that needed to be done on my vechile. I was not truly advised about the hidden prices that this company have. I have a major problem with this company and hidden prices.
    1. Nowhere was it posted or told to me before my car was taking apart I was only told that they needed to get in there and see what was going on. In reality this cost $40.00.
    2. The brakes that they buy are from Advance Auto Parts for $23.29 but resold for 102.50. THIS IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY.
    The $99.88 was suppose to cover brakes all around but after pricing the parts for myself it was cheaper to buy the brakes myself and have someone else to put them on for a friction of the price. After having another mechanic look at mybraking system again. They have found so many problem to the point where I am going to trade my car because the repairs are too much for me.

The $99.88 was only putting money into there pockets and not reapairing what was wrong.

As long as I have breathe in my body I will never use Just Brakes again or ever refer a friend to this company. They broke my care. The all time low point was when the manager told me that if I was to have anyone else to do anything towards my brakes system that my warranty will be voided. I DON'T CARE ABOUT IT BEING VOIDED I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO THAT COMPANY NO MATTER WHERE IT IS LOCATED.

• Du
    Dully Feb 18, 2009

[Resolved] Rip off

I went here because Brake Check is a ripoff! While there, 2 people told me that they will try to *** over...

[Resolved] What a rip off

I visited a just brakes in Lubbock a few days ago just because my front pads were making a squeaking sound. Mind you that my car only has 30.000 miles on it. Isaac the store manager called me out after about 2 hours of waiting and shows me my thick pads. He insisted that I needed calipers rebuilt front and rear of my car. This is after Kirby told me that there shouldn’t be anything else wrong with my car after he just walked around my car and finger felt my rotors. Then Isaac calls me out and tells me that I need two new rotors and the calipers, hardware and possibly a master cylinder. B.S. Isaac tried to make me feel I had to do the work or my brakes could fail at any time. I knew he was using scare tactics at this point. I took my car to the dealership and another shop down the street and they both said that the noise should work itself out. After a few days the noise went away and has not come back. The other shops also informed me that they have had the same complaints about Just Brakes. I will tell everybody I know not to take there vehicles to Just Brakes.

[Resolved] BUSTED WATERPUMP

AFTER THEY FIXED BRAKES, WENT ON 2 MILES TEST RUN, AS SOON AS THE CAR WAS TURNED AROUND TO START BACK, BRAKES...

[Resolved] Bad business

Bad Bad Bad experience. My husband took my 2007 infiniti i-35 ...He was made to wait 5 hours... 2 1/2 just for the diagnosis. Quoted on the phone 120.oo then once they had our car opened up it became a 380.00 estimate. When my husband told them he would just take it to the dealership for 250.oo they made him wait another 2 1/2 hours switching him btw three different mechanics ...all of whom tried to convince him it was *too* dangerous to drive away...telling him he would have to sign a waiver and they could not guarantee the condition of the car once they put it back together. They refused to give him his old parts once they had completed the work...it gets worse. When I called corporate I find out they do not use waivers and it was all scare tactics to get my husband to pay for the service. Bad business kids...very bad.

• Br
    Briana Jul 31, 2008

Just Brakes is a bunch of bottomfeeding, leeching ###! I had a similar experience with the Just Brakes in Sarasota, FL. They tried charging me over $700 for a pads, rotors, calipers, discs, etc. (basically every part that can be replaced.) When I told them I was taking my car to my mechanic for a second opinon they quickly developed attitudes, argued with me, and attempted to intimidate me into letting them go ahead with the work they falsely claimed my car needed. My boyfriend ended up getting in a verbal confrontation with both the manager/receptionist(?) and the shop foreman (who by the way, was obese, and sat at a desk with his feet up eating the entire time taunting my boyfriend.) Eventually, after having to call the cops, I was finally returned my vehicle. When I took it to my mechanic he ended up charging me $220 for new pads and rotors. The rest of problems Just Brakes claimed I had did not exist. This was apparently of no surprise to my mechanic who has seen most of Just Brakes customers with estimates and bills ranging from $700-$1500. Even corporate sucks. When you call to complain they just argue with you further, suggest you're threatening them, and defend the unprofessionalism of the employees. I have vowed to tell every single person I meet about my experience. Infact since this experience, 2 days ago, I have spent all my time contacting media outlets and filling out countless complaint forms on every consumer protection site and any site associated with them. Just Brakes will be sorry they ever tried to rip me off and/or treated me with such disrespect. And yes, Bob Marshall, with "customer care" THAT IS A THREAT. I probably won't be satisfied until I see this company go down.

chadhendley Oct 03, 2009

well if you look at the box of brake pads at the auto store (friction masters) it tells you the exact same conditions the tech told you and in OEM specs state that all hardware be changed everytime you change your brakes. also your own owners manuels tell you to change your brake fluid every 20, 000 miles or every year for the average person. there good and bad techs everywhere you cant just assume that all are out to get you!

chadhendley Oct 03, 2009

read this !!!

forward to serving you.

john hopkins Dec 07, 2015

this outfit does not have experienced brake techs/mechanics. here in denver not one place has a qualified brake mechanic- they call in guys off the streets on a revolving order. they never' get it right..."Don't go to Just brakes for anything."

[Resolved] bait and switch

I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country with only 22, 000 miles on it and I needed brake work done. I wa...

[Resolved] Complete Brake Job

On 08/07/2007, I had a complete brake job done at Just Brakes, 4845 S. Pecos Rd at a cost of $520.64 (invoice...

[Resolved] Inflated repair prices

Just Brakes. It should be "Just ***." How in the *** I go from an 889.00 quote to 411.00. The tech talked like he was reading from a well rehearsed script. The manager didn’t even give me a chance to talk. I’m a disabled vet who just came back from Iraq and I was explaining to the manager that I’m on a fixed income and he just blew me off and kept talking. Now I was around a bunch of crooks in the Middle East for over a year which is ok, but to come home and have to deal with your own countrymen being crooks is outrageous!! Then after I declined to have the work done, they huddled around and looked at me as if I was a joke and received a lecture about an organization that you all belong to and that you can refuse service. Well the joke is on you. I will be calling Dateline NBC and 60 minutes. Better yet, I will forward this to Michael Moore, a BIG supporter of troops, especially disabled ones, and let him know how you take advantage of people. I will never step foot in a just brakes facility. I use to get my brakes serviced by this company but never again.

• Bo
    Bob6525 May 01, 2014

I totally agree with you they are JUST FAKES! They lie to everyone about the vehicle needed a total brake overhaul which is not necessary most of the time. They told my about $900 on a new car even. Master cylinder is bad, drums are bad, rotors are bad, hoses are bad, pads are bad, shoes are bad, wheel cylinders are bad, calipers are bad. All I needed was my front rotors turned LOL. Brake Check is a lot cheaper and does a much better job when needed. I do my brakes myself but when here to have the rotors turned on my car and they told me everything was bad on my cars brake system. They really know how to lie to everyone that comes through their door at Just Brakes.

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to resolving your concern and serving
    you the Just Brakes way in the future.

• Fl
    floyddye Nov 20, 2018

on 8 6 2016 I take my car to just brake to fix my abs light and 3 more time and he did not fix my car I wont my refund back

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices