Complaints & Reviews

Resolved ripped off

My Tacoma needed new brake pads admittedly it had been about 45, 000 miles and I knew it needed done. Wanting to go to a place where they knew what they were doing I called the Toyota dealership the quoted $225.00 for new pads. Seemed high as dealerships are. So I got talking to a neighbor who just took her newer model honda in for a brake job, $149.99 she paid at just brakes with no problems. sounded good I took my truck in this morning. After getting the 149.99 quote I left and went home then the call came telling me the pressure cylindar was shot in the right side uneven wear on the left side and the the price would be a total of 514.54. I asked them to get the truck ready and I would come and get it. They told me that I would have to pay a 90.00 fee for trouble shooting the brake system to get my truck back. So I am out over half the cost of getting my brakes done, and no brake job. After getting over being mad I called and told them to just replace the brake pads for the 149.99. They refused to work on the truck unless I agreed to replace all the parts they said needed replace. Talk about a rock and a hard place. This is a scam business, do not patronize theis type of establishment they take advantage of consumers. Never again.

• Valerie Nov 07, 2008

Went to the Just Brakes today to ask about a simple worn pad change. They said it would fall under their $99.88 deal, but as they took the car in the manager stated that the pads would have to be specially ordered from the dealer and that my total went from $99.88 to over $240.00. Of course, I said no way, and had called the local Autozone to see if they carried them.

BTW, Autozone does have my Infiniti brake pads for $22.99.

Don't ever go to Just Brakes unless you enjoy being ripped off.

• Da
    dallasmsl Oct 13, 2011

Mkstitch obviously works for Just Brakes and is probably paid to counter these complaints. Good job Snitch!

Mariaroche Mar 02, 2012

Yes, these guys are CORRUPT and they train the outlets how to defraud customers. They do not look for return business and they hire dishonest crooks without any Auto Industry work experience and train them to deceive by paying commissions and encouraging them to cheat customers brutally and excessively - they do this in every state they operate in!!! ALWAYS REPORT THEM TO THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL AND FEDERAL AND STATE AUTHORITIES. Good Idea to post their activities on the internet.
    They are more like Gangsters than auto repair guys - they give the industry a bad name. They are SCAM Artists and often charge for work they don't even do. NBC Nightline has videos where they charge for brake fluids and use inferior parts; also, expand the job lying to the customer and doing work that doesn't need to be done just to pad the bill and make more money. OFTEN, THEY CHARGE FOR SERVICES AND PARTS THEY NEVER EVEN DO - 100% PROFIT FOR THEM AND BIGGER COMMISSIONS FOR THE CROOKS THEY EMPLOY AS "SALESMEN".

Resolved Crooks

The $99 brake service is a scam. When i was in the store seven customers came in the store and Just Brakes had none of their pads in stock. Then they will charge you $160 for the brake pads that they have to order. After that they will walk you to your car and tell you that your caliper pistons are sticking, and that your entire brake system will need rebuilt. I got out at $450 because i wouldn't let them rebuild my two year old calipers. They installed and charged me for parts that i told them i did not want. I told the manager i would not pay for these and his response was "we can put your old parts back on but well have to charge you the labor to put them back on." which was the exact same price lol. It was a complete waste of time because i have to redo them only eight months later. Good luck with their customer service too. They don't warranty your vehicle if you decline any of their recommendations even though ninety percent of the time they are not needed. I

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to serving you.

Resolved Tried to scam me for $1000.00

I dropped of my car at Just Brakes in N Richland Hills tx for a brake job. I received a call back and was told that my car needed $1000.00 worth of repairs and that by law he could not release my car. I demanded my car back and told him that was a lie. He said it would be ready in an hour. A co-worker dropped me off and my car was still in the air on the rack tires off. I was told everyone was on a break and I would just have to wait. I waited and waited. Finally my car was put back together and the man slammed my keys on the counter and walked off. I was afraid that he may have made my car dangerous. I took it to a local mechanic and got what I needed all along just a brake job.

Resolved $99 brake job comes out to $250

I took my 2007 Nissan Sentara in Just Brakes. I dropped it off at 10 AM. I called at 1pm and the manager said it wasn’t done. he called an hour later and said the car didn’t need anything, shocks, etc. were all fine. He called at 3 and said the brakes sit on a “special” boot that they do not carry and it would be an extra $50.00. I finally picked up the car at 4. 4 days later, I hear squeaking from the brakes, worse than when I took it in.

I called the manager and he said they have to be broken in at least 300 miles. I said it’s been like 400 miles. He told me to give it another day or so and call him back if it repeats. So, after a couple more days, still squeaks, so I take it in. He changes the pads. 4 days later, still squeaks. I buy pads myself from AutoZone and have a bud replace them..no more squeak. $99.00 brake job comes out to $250.00. Just Brakes suck.

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Resolved I would never go there again and I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake.

Just brakes promise a complete set of brakes for $99. When they get you in the door, they make up all kinds of other needs to get you to pay more. The parts they replaced on my sons car should have lasted the life of his car unless he was in a wreck which he wasn’t. I spoke with their regional office and they stood by the fact that he did indeed need these parts. I told them I felt screwed and they did nothing about it. I would never go there again and I don’t want anyone else to make the same mistake.

Resolved Freakin' Joke - Highly Unprofessional

My fiance's car needed obvious brake work - all four pads, as well as machined rotors. Because they advertise for $99, we took it in. However, they told us the 2007 car also needed to have the rear calipers both rebuilt. OK, fine. $500 later (which we were reluctant about but ultimately OK with), my fiance picked the car up, drove it home, then asked me to drive it because the "brakes weren't working like they used to and sounded funny." Sure enough, there was a constant grinding sound with and without applying the brakes. They also functioned at about 40% of how they previously functioned only the day before (and this was WITH all the "necessary rebuilding and repairs" they said we needed to have done. On top of all that, the entire car reeked of cigarette smoke!!! Unprofessional and incompetent to the extreme!! Avoid this shady franchise AT ALL COSTS!

The brakes ultimately were in FAR worse shape than when we brought the car in. Are you kidding me!?! These guys are a JOKE! I used to change brake pads when I was a kid, including properly bleeding the brakes like you should. I guess I should have not listened to their marketing campaigns b/c this was the MOST unprofessional experience I have ever had with any car shop, regardless of it being a small shop or national chain.

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Resolved Rip Off Alert! Do not TRUST!

On 11/02/2010 my wife took our 2004 Lexus RX 330 in for repair. It was grinding a bit in the rear and I figured since I had gone in and had it repairs from their originally I would tell her to go back. The money wasn't so much the issue as Warranty Brake Pads save you $50 bucks, it was because they were located next door to her work. Even when I went in the past to them they always tried to upsell me so much garbage, but every time I had gone I knew what was wrong and what I needed. Not this time. She dropped it at 12 noon and they called her at 1 pm stating the following (I have it via email from them too) Replace all 4 roters and rear brake pads. Front Roters: $120.46/ roter Back Roters: $111.96/ roter Rebuild 2 calibers: $129 Bleed Brakes : $44.95 Front Brakes : $99.88 for just labor or $135 with pad and labor Back Brackes: $99.88 for just labor or $135 for pad and lobor The total came to about $900 + Tax and Shop Supplies. So basically $1000. I called and talked to the guy and told him I had just changed the Front Brakes, and this car goes from Georgia to North Carolina on a weekly basis (All Hwy). He said well you should be changing your brakes every 25, 000 miles. I told him I thought you change them when they are at 5% or less of pad left. I told him that he is ripping us off and we will come by and pick the car up. He said he will need 30 min to rebuild everything (famous lines). I told him I will be calling the police if the car is not ready in 15 min. He had it ready in 10 min, my wife picked up the car and drove straight to our local mechanic who we should have gone to anyways. Let me give you a side note of what he had also told my wife. He said she must bleed the brake system as the fluid is very dirty. 2 months earlier when getting an oil change my wife accidently changed the brake fluid in stead of the transmission fluid! So I instantly knew he was messing with me. The front brakes Rotor and Pads had just been changed, by this company! They couldn't turn the rotors even once? The calipers that were now messed up, these guys had put new ones in when I got the pads and rotors done! I've never heard of Calipers going bad twice in 1 year. Anyways, all in all, my actual mechanic who is so trust worthy was like, calipers are fine, the boot had loosened up and I tightened it. And your back brake pads need to be changed. The rotors on the back can be turned and are in perfect condition. The front brakes have 80% of the pad left and look brand new. $1000 down to $140 and I had him put LEXUS brakes back on it. Stay away from Just Brakes, I hope the local news team goes and investigates them.

• Mo
    Morikami Nov 04, 2010

You should have taking it to your trust worthy mechanic in the first place. Just Brakes special's are inexpensive for a reason cheap parts not meant for a Lexus. My suggestion take it to your nearest Lexus dealer they use O.E. components. Never skimp on the brakes especially if your driving long distance, another thing how did Just Brakes decide to do unauthorized work without your wife's or your consent.

Resolved Lies

I went to just brakes to get the 99 dollar deal and as I walked in the door, someone was already complaining about the price going up to 300 dollars!! So, they took my car in and came out to tell me to come out and see what all they had to fix. The day before I had checked my brake fluid and it was clean and pink, and also it was about an inch away from the bottom of the cap. So he tells me that they have to flush my brake line and showed me the fluid, which was now all the way to the top and black, they poured something on top. Plus, they had to rebuild the calipers and turn the drums or whatever and what was once 99.98, turned into 330.00 dollars!! They told me the reason it was so expensive is because they had to use honda brake pads. This all happened a month ago, my brakes are completely gone already, when I asked the dealership why that would happen, they said that just brakes put some 6 dollar cheap *** shooes on my car!! Im going up there tomorrow, after finding out about this and im going to raise ***!!!

former employee

Boy after reading the complaints most people were dead on, that place is a rip off
the training I received to b/s people into buying needless repairs was to say the least unsettleing. I quit after 8months, and really want to help people with questions they may have before they visit or after they have visited.I will even answ. questions about brake work as well I am A.S.E. CERTIFIED. for 28 years.

Resolved scam / intentional damage

The store in Pinellas park tried to scam me on a brake job, until I caught them. They intentionally damaged...

Resolved Rip Off!

I drive a 2008 Nissan Atltima that I took in to Just Brakes because like everyone else, the thought of $99...

Resolved No warranty honor

I expected an honest brake job. After all, they state "We really do care." I think they care only about running up the price, intimidating you to accept, then not honoring their warranty when you refuse to pay more than is needed. I turned down the over $300 repairs when their employee admitted it was not needed. When the manager got back he refused to honor the warranty and yelled a lot at me. He also said his employee would not say it was not needed. I hope the fellow did not get in trouble or fired for telling the truth.

Just Brakes admin Aug 29, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the delay in responding to your concern. Just Brakes was not made aware of this website until just now. We are also under new management. At Just Brakes we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and appreciate feedback that will help us achieve that goal. We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to hear more from you. Please contact our corporate office at 1-800-445-7105 to be connected with the local Market Director. We look forward to serving you.

Resolved Overcharged

I needed new brakes & I knew I'd pay at least $100.00. I saw an ad for Just Brakes Pads & shoes for just $99.88. I thought that was wonderful so I went there. Well, I knew that they would need to inspect the current brakes to see if I needed either new pads & shoes or both. But I was not prepared for them to destroy the front brakes just so that they may emphasize their explanation as to why I should get new ones! When I say destroy, they literally used a crow bar & hammer on them because they wouldn't just come right off. I was furious when I saw the mechanic do this! Well, after he managed to literally smash both to pieces he told me that I need new front rotors along with the brakes & I told him that if he didn't use the hammer & crowbar on them that I wouldn't need new rotors. I had new pads put on rotors that were in the same condition before on a different car. Granted the rotors were rusty, but they were still useable. Again he couldn't get the assembly to release so here comes the hammer again. Then the Manager comes out & says the total in materials & labor would be around $800.00! I told him I can't afford that price, which was true. I only had about $600 available in my checking account. He made it so that w/ taxes it came out just a few dollars under $600.

• Valerie Nov 25, 2008

Need to get my wheels barrier replace on the left driver side of my truck, the price started off at $500.00 dollar by the time I got a call the price was $1009.00. Okay, the manager was saying now I need to get my rotor replace and I just had those done last year and brakes as well. Then the manager gave me the long story about my the tire falling off when he place my truck on the lift. Then I told him that I didn't have $1009.00 to get my truck repair, then he stated that if I didn't pay for entire repair, I won't be able to get my truck back with out paying something the minimum would be $500.00. Okay I drop the truck off on 18th of October and I explain that prior to leaving my truck that I didn't have the money.

So, I ask could I leave my truck here until the 31st of October, because I needed time to come up with money. Okay the manager agree I could leave my truck there and won't be charge a storage fee or diagnose fee. Okay after talking to the manager who was very disrespectful about not allow me to have my truck towed, I was speaking with on the phone and he never mention that my truck couldn't be towed. The store manager call me back a hour later and said that my truck couldn't be towed because it only had three tires, so he told the towing company that they couldn't take the truck. I wanted to have to truck towed back to my house which was walking distance. I called the corporate office and spoke the distance manager and he was worse the store manager. Bottom lines is don't ever take your vehicle to any of the Just Brakes they are about making money at your expense.

• Me
    Melissa Dec 25, 2008

STAY WELL AWAY... my husband was quoted $99, then once they took the car apart was told it would be more like $650.. when my husband refused this they said that it would be a problem to put it together again.. my husband made the mistake of negotiating with them down to $330; only for us to return 5 hours later and get a bill for $454... when my husband argued with them the fact that they had quoted him $330 upon agreeing to have the work done they called him a liar and showed him some paperwork that he had signed that had not actually had the price displayed there upon doing so... bottom line is that this is a big big con... STAY AWAY.. you will get ripped off and robbed off your hard earned cash... they commit fraud and are cheats and liars.. will be reporting them to the BBB as well

I've also been checking the net for similar complaints, as it seems this company is flooded with them... how do these people stay in business? Surely consumers should be better protected and be able to do more about this sort of thing!!

Resolved Stay away

Stupid me, I let my husband take my van in for a brake check. The front brakes were just starting to rub and I understood that we'd need the front brakes replaced. Ok. But Just Brakes insisted that the back brakes had fused together - a blatant lie since I'd have felt the performance of my brakes change if the back brakes were fused. There was nothing wrong with the back brakes, but my husband okayed the repair (because I was very sick that day and he didn't want to bother me).

As if the $750 repair of the perfectly fine back brakes wasn't enough, the repair was totally botched. The brake light went on within a day and I took the van back to talk to the manager Adrian. He protested that the light wasn't his fault or his problem.

I took the van to another brake place who then told me that the master cylinder was going out because of the faulty repair by Just Brakes. Now I have to spend another $300 at another brake place to fix the repair because Adrian will NOT fix it. Not only did they destroy my master cylinder, the didn't install the back brakes correctly.

Resolved Cr*p

I'm not even sure where to begin. I have yet to recieve as poor service from any established business as I have recieved from Just Brakes.

From extremely poor workmanship, to unreliable parts, to even worse problem resolution and, on top of all of that, management and corporate employees that are not men of their word and have the worst customer service of all.

I had an issue with work that I had done, a little over a year ago, to a cost of over $600 needing to be redone at cost of just over $700 so I left a comment on their website. A few days later I receive a call from a regional manager (in Georgia) who I think his name was Drex who put me to task to prove my situation. Before I could get back to him I get a call from Bob Marshall in Dallas, TX after discussing the situation with him he informs me that he will call the store in Conyers, GA and have them redo the previously poorly done work. My wife took the car back this morning and the technicians there had no idea what she was talking about. They called Bob Marshall and when he finally got back to them he said he didn't recall the conversation either. (I've never been to Dallas, TX and I certainly don't have a knowledge of the corporate structure at Just Brakes - where in the *** else would I have gotten the name Bob Marshall from?!?

They need to stop using the tag line "WE REALLY DO CARE" because they REALLY don't. I have already shared this story, within minutes of getting off the phone with my wife, with 5 of my co-workers and I assure you I will be sharing it with many more. I will also be posting it to my Facebook and MySpace pages (several hundred people will see those) and my Blog (several hundred more) and I think I will create a YouTube Video -if I make it funny enough it should draw several thousand hits -thank God for the digital age.

Resolved royal ripoff - stay clear: A MUST READ

This complaint has two parts, so bear with me and read on. Being in the same shoes as all other penny...

Resolved Bogus repairs and shotty work

We just got done with a year-long nightmare with Just Brakes here in Thornton, CO, on 120th Ave and...

Resolved Terrible service/wrong repairs

DO NOT GO THERE! They lure everyone in with the $99 pads-for-life service, and then turn around and completely take advantage of you. I took in my 2006 Cobalt in Sept 08 for a break job since my pads were squeaking. I was told the calipers and rotors had to be replaced. I ended up spending $496. By January, I had to go because the problems were back. I was told it was a hose that needed replacing. They again claimed the calipers had to be replaced again and the rotors needed to be sanded. "Luckily" the visit was covered under warranty...minus the hose. Total cost for that visit $106. Forward a couple of monts, the issues are back again. This time, I've taken the car to the dealership. I was just told I need to replace the calipers (again!), the rotors, and the master cylinder. Total estimate at this point: $1, 057. The service center manager cautioned me about places like Just Brakes. Their bait-n-swich is apparently well-known as I see from this site. I've learned my lesson. Never trusting anyone but the dealer. Is anyone aware of any class-action suits? 'Cause you best believe I'm suing their butts for this! my email is [protected]@yahoo.com.

another sucker May 02, 2010

i took my cAR IN FOR A OIL CHANGE AND DIDN'T DRIVE IT FOR A DAY. but when i did drive it 40 miles from home the car started smoking and something pop and oil and water went every where i think they did something on purpose to my car to get me to get work done

• Ri
    Rip Off/Excessive Charges Jul 05, 2011

I took my car to Just For Brakes in Marietta, Ga back in March 2011 due to squeaking and vibration when I braked. I was inquiring about the $99 special. My car was inspected and I was told that I needed calibers. I was told the complete job would be about $400 dollars. I did not have the full amount so they decided to take half the money and I was told they then put new pads and shoes on my car. Two months prior to me taking the car to them I had brand new rotors put on. I came back two weeks later and was told they put new calibers on my car and I was all set. A week later the car started to make more noise. I took the car back and was told by the Manager that they re-did everything (pads, shoes, rotors, & calibers) and I should not have anymore problems with the car. A month later, it started again. I had my brother in law take them the car due to my work schedule and the techs stated "we don't hear anything"! I contacted the corporate office and was told to take the car to another location & they would look at it. Again, I had my brother in law to take it due to my work schedule. They also swore "we don't hear anything. I asked my brother in law to drive the car so these idiots can hear what we were hearing. He did and the tech stated "Oh that noise is normal"! I was finally fed up and took the car back to the original location and demanded that they repair my car properly. I dropped the car off about 9:00 am and picked it up at 6:00 pm. The techs never took the car apart to try and determine the problem. They backed my car up and when I returned at 6:00 pm the Manager said "we drove it 3 times and did not hear anything"! I told them that they are a bunch of liars and have Zero work ethic or integrity. I stated that I would go through their corporate office and the Manager laughed and stated "go ahead again"! These guys are the biggest rip off and the more people I talk to I'm hearing similar stories. They should not be in business! I am sending letters to their corporate office, our local consumer investigator, & other Organizations that can go in and bust these guys! They should not be allowed to get away with this!!!

Resolved Bunch of Liars

I decided to bring wife's '06 Sequoia to Just Brakes to take advantage of the $ 99 special. I...

Resolved Fraud and cheating

I took my car to Just Brakes for new front brakes that were advertised for $99. The mechanic came to get me and showed with amazement that I had some kind of mysterious ailment with my front pads...they weren't worn evenly. He then showed me the rear brake pistons, pushed back the rubber seals to reveal a few drops of brake fluid, and declared that the pistons were bad and brake fluid was just 'pouring out' (never mind that in 4 years I had never added brake fluid and it was still at the full level). Sadly, he let me know that all would have to be replaced...including the front pistons. When I refused and stated I just wanted the pads replaced for $99 he let me know that it 'just wouldn't be safe' and refused to do the service.

They informed me the repair would cost $300 or so. My car was already dismantled and I was afraid to drive it without the work so I agreed to get it done. I left the car at the shop cuz they said it'd be a few hours before itd be done. After I left I got a call saying that they found a few more minor issues & the repairs would cost a little over $400. I wasn't happy about it but agreed to have it done, after being told they couldn't do the brakes if I didn't have the work done & they weren't able to reassemble the car without these repairs. They called me to pick up my vehicle & told me the total was over $1000. I argued with the man over the phone for a good 15 minutes about the cost & he lowered the price to $900, then $800, then $700 then $750... All the way to $550. Upon returning to pick up the vehicle the cashier told me the total was $650. I argued with the man even though he assured me he was giving me such a great deal & he could loose his job for doing it but wasn't getting anything accomplished except more & more upset so I paid it. They also informed me that there was another $300-$400 worth of repairs that needed to be done for the car to be safe. Mad as hell I left having paid $650 for a $99 brake job.

A week later my car starting making some horrible screeching noises & not properly braking. It got so bad that I felt it wasn't drivable so I had it towed into a local shop where they inspected the cars brakes system. I was told that the noise was caused by the rear brakes had been reassembled incorrectly & this caused additional damage. After paying stupid Just Brakes $650 I had to spend another $800 to fix what they screwed up!!!

• Valerie Nov 29, 2008

Need to get my wheels barrier replace on the left driver side of my truck, the price started off at $500.00 dollar by the time I got a call the price was $1009.00. Okay, the manager was saying now I need to get my rotor replace, and I just had those done last year and brakes as well. Then the manager gave me the long story about my the tire falling off when he place my truck on the lift. Then I told him that I didn't have $1009.00 to get my truck repair, then he stated that if I didn't pay for entire repair, I won't be able to get my truck back with out paying something the minimum would be $500.00. Okay I drop the truck off on 18th of October and I explain that prior to leaving my truck that I didn't have the money.

Satisfied Scott Jan 17, 2010

I got ripped off - like everybody that's complaining -BUT -
    I took these guys to mediation/arbitration - which all of ya'll should be doing -
    the address is right there on the just brakes receipt -National arbitration Forum
    let's just say that Just Brakes corporate called me and cut me a check for $350
    'cause they didn't want to deal with me to begin with - please please - Get your money
    back- it's sooooooooo simple to do!!!
    S.H.