Interval InternationalBeware of interval international!

Do not do business with interval international time share company!

My friend & i recently booked a trip through his time - share, interval international, to go to the costa maya reef resort in belize, central america scheduled for 8 / 18 - 8 / 25 / 07. We booked this trip over the phone & gave the company representative our credit card information for charging the trip. The night before we were scheduled to leave, we attempted to contact the resort to ensure they were still accepting guests. We had some concerns due to hurricane dean. No one answered the phone. So we spent the next few hours tracking the storm online & at that point it didn't appear that it would affect belize at all. So on saturday morning, we boarded a us airways flight bound for belize. We arrived at belize int'l airport at approx. 10am. We then boarded a tropic air plane for another 15 - minute flight to san pedro.

Once we arrived at fido's dock in san pedro to board a ferry to take us to the resort, we were told by the ferrymaster that costa maya reef resort was closed in anticipation of the hurricane. He gave us the resort owner's name & cell phone number.

I spoke to the owner personally & he informed me that he had contacted interval international 2 days prior (Which would have been thursday) to let them know they would be closing that friday because of the hurricane. Interval had our phone number and e - mail address and no one ever attempted to contact us.

We then had to make other last minute arrangements to stay at another resort on the mainland, which ended up costing us thousands more than we had expected to spend.

Because interval international did not inform us of the situation, both of our lives were put at risk & we are out thousands of dollars because we had to make other arrangements.

When we returned home, we contacted interval international numerous times in an attempt to get our money back. Each time, we were told they would not refund a dime. The last representative i spoke with, "enrique", did admit that the resort contacted them to let them know of the closing in advance, but that it was our responsibility to contact them to get information in the event of a natural disaster. My impression of this company, and their specific handling (Or lack thereof) of my situation left much to be desired. I find their practices & actions to be unprofessional, irresponsible, criminal & incompetent.

Beware!!

o Whom It May Concern

I am a Marriott owner in the Grand Vista Resort in Florida. I have been with Interval since 2005 I believe. I am very unhappy with the service Interval Provides.

I seem to NEVER get the resorts that I request. Unfortunately over the past 5 years, my husband has had many surgeries and we were unable to travel. In between surgeries, we were able to go to St. Martin 2 years ago. Many many times I requested places and they never ever came through.

Last week I used my home resort at the Marriott Grand Vista in Orlando. I requested the Marriott Grand Chateau in Vegas for July 21 to 28, however I just fell and torn my meniscus and patella. Everything is MONEY with your company. I dont normally take the insurance because I always go on the vacations when the seem to go through! I called today to ask for a replacement because I cannot go in July 21, I have to have the surgery.

They were kind enough to extend my week however, this whole thing with 59 days in advance is nothing but a scam. No resort anyway in the world will be available 59 days from submit. For example, since I can drive in a few weeks, I asked if I can have the resort in Wildwood NJ... Now he tried and its booked. Now think about airfare. You get a good rate you cannot book plane fair 59 days in advance. I have booked Florida 7 months in advance, I have booked Aruba 9 months in advance. the earlier you book airfare the cheaper it is.. SO now if I only can request a resort 59 days in advance with NO GUARANTEE that I will get it, how do you expect people to get airfare?

I feel this whole 59 days is unfair and nothing but a way for the consumer to loose the week. I have 2 weeks for my 2017 due to expire 3/2019. Again do to health reasons I didn't deposit early cause I didn't know if we could go anywhere? So now cause I deposited it late, you are now say that I cannot request anything until 59 days before the check in date. So now I have 2 weeks I cannot request, which I know every place in the world will be booked, and now this replacement week, same thing.

Chances are that these three weeks I will loose. I pay over 1400 in Marriott ownership fees, Marriott dues, Interval dues. that is a lot of money and most of the time I cannot even use the weeks for all different reasons. The most stupid reason and a Hugh rip off is this 59 days in advance. You give me a list of places that will take me 59 days in advance and get me cheaper Airfare and I will go to them.

I once waited 2 years for St. Lucia, and didn't get it. If it is that hard to get, take the place out of our book... you are wasting money and time for us to get another area! I have a request for St. Lucia again, lets so how many years I have to wait.

I have sent this complaint to Marriott Services because you really need to revamp this whole 59 day rip off policy. I am thinking of selling the timeshare due to this waste of money...

I do not feel it is fair that I can only request 59 days in advance for my 2017 2 weeks, nor this replacement week. I want what is fair, and I feel this is a very unfair scam.

Please see what you can do to lift this 59 days rip off so that I can today request another place within the year. I can pay the extension for the weeks that expire 3/2019 that will give me 6 more months, but I do not feel it is fair that I can request 59 days because you are setting us all up to fail... Call 10000 resorts 59 days in advance and you tell me how many will have a room.. Maybe Newark NJ !!!

• Ah
    ahtth0533 Nov 14, 2013

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Interval International is somehow affiliated with Paradise Village Resort. It was the worst resort we ever visited! It is definitely NOT a 4 or 5 star hotel as stated. Overall, I might give it a 1. First of all, the place is old and in need of a major make-over. Food was somewhat ok. Better food off premise. Water was a murky brown not the crystal clear blue we anticipated. Room service was horrible. We received the wrong item and it took 45 min. to receive the correct order. Then I had to fight for them to issue a credit for the wrong item. The people who manage the outside activities are a separate entity. Staff was unfriendly unless you helped them earn a commission or purchased a time share. Our room smelled like urine for all of the 7 days. We opened windows, sprayed and alerted staff but no relief. There seems to be a tier system. Everyone involved in this scheme receives a commission. It's all about money. They can care less about making your visit enjoyable. A person calls you at you house right before you leave for vacation. She tells you to avoid anyone at the airport who tries to sell you something. She says they’re sketchy and you don't want to get involved in what they have to offer. The first day you arrive, people will be in the lobby to hunt you down. Once they get you attention, they feed you drinks and give you free and half price tickets for day excursions in hopes you will attend the 90 min. breakfast presentation. The 90 min. breakfast presentation turned into an 8 hour interrogation!! It is then that you find out INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL is affiliated with Paradise Village Resort. I.I have all the150, 000 hotels, not Paradise, so you have to pay them yearly too!They break you down until you sign. You are at the mercy of very persistent salespeople who know their craft well. If one doesn’t get you to sign another one comes over. If you still won’t sign the ‘closer’ stops by the table. Now you have 3 people trying to con you into signing the contract. During this time, they lie, cheat and steal by offering free weeks, trips, memberships, etc. There is so much fraud, deception and misrepresentation going on in the presentation room. It makes me sick to think a human being can be so devious toward another human being just for the sake of taking your money.

• HUNTER Liars Jun 06, 2013

¿Su Club de Viajes es parte de la Familia?

¿No?

¿Entonces por qué lo mantiene sin recibir NADA a cambio?

¿Está harto de seguir poniendo “DINERO BUENO AL MALO”?

Honorarios sumamente razonables y financiamiento disponible a 12 meses SIN intereses

Siempre funciona, cuando se sabe lo que se hace.

+ info: [protected] * LADA sin costo: [protected] * www.hlmexico.com.mx

• Ru
    ruby s Jun 26, 2011

I recently had a really bad customer service experience. I was pretty sure I verified my unit week before confirmation. It took me about 4 days to check my personal email and noticed that the unit week was changed. When I called interval, yes, I patiently waited on the phone, I was told that it was more than24 hours so nothing can be changed. I believe they changed my unit week on purpose so I have to pay for an extension or lose my week that was expiring. I could not even speak with a supervisor. There was nothing in the email indicating that interval must be notified within 24 hours of changes. I was told by the rude customer rep to look at page 300 something of the directory. What a bull! So much for customer service:-( the worst!

• We
    welltraveled Dec 31, 2010

II is a fraud. Attorney Generals should investigate their trade practices. We are forced to trade through II because Marriott requires any trades even for other Marriott properties must go through them. We are forced to pay additional fees to have an annual II membership in addition to paying the hefty annual fees that we already pay to our home resort. On top of your membership fee, II charges fees for everything - fees to do a trade, fees to register additional guests for the place you want to go, etc. No where does Interval disclose or publicly post the fee schedule, so for all I know they are making up these fees. When you make a deposit you rarely if ever get a comparable trade. Every time we have traded it was for a lesser proprty than Marriott. Moreover, we are supposed to get priority at other Marriott properties and rarely if ever has that happened. Each time you phone interval you wait an average of 25 minutes just to speak to someone who likely cannot help you, then that person transfers you around (more waiting and repeating yourself) and if the call is not dropped (as it usually is) you find that on average you wasted at a minimum an hour or more on the phone only to have II customer service tell you to use the website. The website is a nightmare - and worse still, they keep changing the format and functionality and it goes down frequently and did not work for months on end. Shame on Marriott for aligning themselves with such a disreputable and fee mongering company that delivers NO VALUE WHATSOEVER.

giana314 Jul 16, 2018

@welltraveled I think you are correct, and we need better laws regarding trading timeshares... I pay 1400 in dues to marriott, then a fee to renew then a fee to ii and i never seem to get anything that I request. they need to revamp their whole system. a big scam

Gilhaven Dec 30, 2010

I'm sorry for those who have had bad experiences with II. Compared to my single interaction with RCI, II is stellar!
    I've owned a timeshare since 1980 (2 for the last 3 years) and exchanged every year for the last 20+ years through II. Although I phoned II for the first years, I have exchanged online for the last 15 yrs, give or take. I purchased insurance once and used it without problems. Another year, I was even offered an extra 2 days at any resort when I had to leave early due to a death in the family.
    Perhaps I'm prejudiced because I can travel off season and am able to schedule the timeframe of vacations easily. I simply look online for where I want to go with II, find out if anything is available, and change my plans if these don't line up. Is my choice unlimited? No, but I'm an off season and shoulder season traveler on the whole. Have I had to change my "wish list"? Sure have. But I've had great accommodations almost everywhere I've traded (New Zealand, Britain, Aspen, Vail, Washington, New Hampshire, Virginia, California, Orlando, among them). BTW, I usually trade for 2 bedroom/2 bath units, but I've traded for as large as 3 bedroom units.
    Personally, I've discouraged people with young children from buying timeshares because they are so restricted as to when they can travel. I think timeshare ownership requires a lot of flexiblity, and those who can't be flexible are going to experience a degree of disappointment. But it's each person's choice.
    BTW, I am NOT an employee of II, nor do I have any connection with them except as a customer. More than my two cents but II isn't the horror that has been painted here.

• Mi
    Michael Faris Nov 18, 2010

The resorts outside Disney Worldvery bad. We stay marriott grand vista blankets with holes and sheets. Also new blankets not wash with fabric softner smells like a dirty trash bag. I complain 4 times at the front desk all the say we gave you blankets.

• Dc
    dcrockett Sep 23, 2010

Timeshares are one of those things you should NEVER, ever, ever buy. Straight up rip offs!!! Anyone who has ever taken even the most basic personal finance course knows that you never get involved with a timeshare! http://www.regattadesigns.com

Larry Rolland Aug 07, 2010

Interval International is a terrible organization and it is a total waste of money to be a member. They never have any availability unless you book several years ahead. Even though we still own a timeshare, we dropped our membership because and gave up a booked week because they have nothing available. It is total waste of money to be a member.

giana314 Jul 16, 2018

@Larry Rolland i agree, it is horrible, very very much a big rip off

chocoholic80 Jun 04, 2010

I have been with Interval International since 1996. I have not had any problems exchanging and have travelled through Canada, US and New Zealand. The people on the phone have been helpful and when the Hurricane hit Galvenston, the insurance claim was paid off within a couple of weeks. More people cannot afforedtheir maintaince fees and some people cannot afford to travel to timeshares that are more than a car trip from home. Also, as people retire, they are using they are using their home locations more. For example, when we were in New Zealand, the Brits there said that it was almost impossible to get an exchange in Britian. That is not an II problem.
    Flexibility is key. Since I haven't seen the world yet, I'm still pretty flexible as to where I go.

• Ti
    Tired girl May 29, 2010

Is there any way out of a time share? We bought II only to find out the contrat had hidden fees, was not what the salesmen stated. High pressure is to mild of words for what they put us through! Is there ant way Out???

• Dr
    drmilk1 May 24, 2010

Interval International is the worst timeshare exchange program in the world. I have had an exchange on the books for years because they never have anything for a family of 4. Please do not use them or you will end up losing your week just like I am about to lose mine. I have never been so disappointed with any company like I am with this company.

Ana V May 11, 2010

BEWARE OF INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL! Absolutely horrible service and no help whatsoever. I booked a vacation to a resort they consider to be "gold standard" which is the best they can offer. I recently received a letter from the resort itself stating that they are under construction. When I called the resort, they simply told me that the resort is NOT BUIL T YET! How can Interal post a resort site and call it "gold quality" when the resort is not even built yet? All they have available is the room itself. Even the check-in office is 3 miles away at a different location and there are no amenities yet because they are still constructing it. The resort itself said that we can use the town pool which is 5 miles away and cannot guarantee a good night sleep with so much construction going on. When I cntacted Interval, they took no responsibility and kept forwarding my phone calls to voice mails that no one responded to. When I finally reached someone polite, she said there are no refunds or exchanges. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! STAY AWAY!

• Ba
    BAW from Indy Apr 11, 2010

I have been trading my timeshare week through II for about 12 years, and have had great success. I have requested 2 back-to-back weeks on vacations twice (let a week roll over to save for 2 week vacations), and BOTH times they came through with both locations in the 2-week set-up, and both times with only one month flexibility to do so. One year, we took a trade for Branson, MO and ended up in a timeshare that was under construction - no pool on site, the fireplace didn't work, the unit was ok, but not had some maintenance issues. I contacted II and complained when we returned, and they gave us a free week certificate to cover our bad experience. In 2009 we had difficulty getting an exchange we wanted for the first time. II said the economy had prevented people from depositing because they couldn't afford to pay their maintenance fees, which was necessary before depositing a week for trade. We thought about trying RCI because they have a larger inventory, but there are a very long list of complaints on Consumer Reports, and when I called just to ask questions, they were rude. I'd recommend II to anyone. Brenda from Indianapolis

• In
    interval fraud Feb 28, 2010

If you can help it, DO NOT do any business with interval. I am forced too because I own at Marriot and that is who they use when you need to trade. last summer interval informed me about a week before my vacation that they had made a mistake and that my reservation had been changed. I had already purchased the airline tickes for the trip. They notified my by mail about their mistake and claimed they had been trying to reach me. An outright lie. They had three phone number for me(Office, Home and cell and internet address) and they never called me. The worst part of the experience was they admitted it was their mistake but did nothing to make it right. This is a frauduent company and any positive comments on this site about Interval come from interval employees

• Sw
    swibgirl Feb 22, 2010

we just purchased a time share in Kissemee FL for every other year with II and KGI... wonder if I am going to have the grief you all had.. the stay there was awesome! We felt really good about doing this until now... now I am a bit hesitant but it's too late to cancel so I guess I will have to see how it goes for our next getaway... they gave us 12 a year... I hope it works out!

• We are having issues with II as well. We have owned our Napa, Ca. (Ca. Vacation Club) for 6 years. Each year we have put our deposit with II. Each year we are told "only a little while longer and your request destination should open up", then abour 4 months before we want to travel, we start getting calls telling us that where we want to go is impossible to get into. That we need to perhaps give other locations. We were told when we bought in that we should either have three weeks for the same area OR three seperate areas for the same week for our best chances. While we have gotten "close" to where we want to go, it is not without an extending drive to actually get us into the area we spend our days at. We have yet to get a hotel of our choice and usually settle for something way less because we now have only a month left before we can no longer travel due to kids having to get back in school. I will not be renewing my membership with II. I will try another exchange program or just resort to staying within CVC. I am tired of vacationing in CA & Fla, but nothing else is ever available. In fact, CA isn't always available. I have long suspected that timeshare resorts hold out until the last possible moment hoping to generate more revenue on rentals. Is this fair? What is the point of owning a timeshare if, when you release your week, the hotel does not put it in the exchange pot, but holds on to it hoping to generate a higher rate by renting it? It lessons my chances of getting an exchange (as it would for everyone) and creates a cluster "eff" of people endlessly waiting to get an exchange. I pretty darn sure that is not what all of us timeshare owners signed up for. Where is this lawsuite that I am hearing of...I want to be part of it.

Jahad1 Dec 06, 2009

i agree with kenzie36 people put to much time into complaining and i joined this thing to tell anyone who will listen use your head way in Gods name would you go and jump on a plain to somewhere you have never been without knowing for sure first that the place is even open come on people use your head what h!!! does no one have common sence anymore call, call anyone BEFORE YOU TRAVEL ANYWHERE EVEN TO THE HOTEL DOWN THE STREET and everyone expects the people over the phone can do mericles I work for Amex and people call me asking me to fix right no the s!!! some else did to there card right now we can't do everything for you like where God why don't you people take charge for your own actions like getting on the plane like an iddy or leaving your purse unattended PLEASE THINK PEOPLE

• Ba
    bama1 Oct 27, 2009

Having the same problem. I deposited my Westgate week with them and now they can not find anything available for the locations I gave them. I was told by Westgate it would cost me 139.00 to exchange with Interval. I've paid 200.00 so far on top of my annual fee and still have nothing. I talked with an attorney and he advised me of the class action suit against RCI for doing exactly what II is doing. If they have a week deposited they rent it out instead of giving it to the owners. I e-mailed an complaint regarding this and received an automated response the addressed my complaint about not being able to exchange. This proves we are not the only ones they are, I have to keep this clean, so I'll use stealing from.
    DO NOT BUY A TIMESHARE AND DO NOT BUY INTO THE EXCHANGE PROGRAM.
    I wonder how these people sleep at night knowing how they are stealing from people.

Larry Rolland Aug 01, 2009

Interval International has terrible customer service. This spring my wife called them to book a week so she could take our daughters on a trip. The customer service rep told her she had to book the timeshare with them first, then they would find her a week. She gave them several weeks and told Interval she would go anyway on the East Coast.
    Probably because of the fact that timeshare resorts now make more money by renting instead of allowing exchanges, they could not find any vacancies whatsoever, and suggested she needed to probably allow for exchanges one year in advance.
    Since they could not find any available opportunities after strongly encouraging her to book the week, I called them back and asked them to forget the booked week and told them we would just go back to our home resort. In order to do this, they were going to charge $149. My problem is they were the ones whom encouraged her to book the week, then would not unbook they week even though they couldn't find anyplace for her to stay even given the fact we provided them with a number of week and anywhere on the East Coast.
    The other issue I have is that they have several times called to ask me to extend my membership for multiple years. When I tell them I am not interested, they become rude and hang up on me.

• Ke
    Kenzie36 Jul 01, 2009

I can testify that my comment was not posted as an employee of Interval International and I'm quite certain that if nobody but the employees were happy with the company, the company would not last long at all. The reality is, any negative comments will definitely be talked about- that is human nature. People like to complain... that is also human nature. More effort will go into complaining than will be put into giving a compliment, which is a shame.
    I make a point of letting managers know when an employee goes above and beyond as this helps to encourage the behavior and let's them know you noticed and it made a difference to you. Not every experience would be a negative experience. It's unfortunate that you don't agree and enjoy the exchange abilities so many of us do appreciate with them.

• To
    tooootles Jul 01, 2009

I think all of the positive comments about II were posted by their own employees. Customer service is a disaster with an average telephone wait time of 35 minutes. They make mistakes, then will not admist them and the they refuse to correct their booking mistakes. Shame on you Interval Internation!!

• Ke
    Kenzie36 May 22, 2009

II has always been very professional, helpful and performed exactly as they state in all the contracts. If you take the time and read all the documentation provided, contact them if you ahve questions and just be certain that YOU understand, you should be very happy with them.
    I found their staff very informed, knowledgeable and helpful with all of out travel experiences. I know there are some people that will be unsatisfied no matter what any company does- they could walk on water and people will still find a reason to complain and even to post blame when it is quite obviously their irresponsible behavior that places them in a predicament to begin with.

Use common sense, be informed and you will be satisfied. Great company and great resorts!

Chell Sep 23, 2008

Maybe we are too new to this but we have found the experience very helpful so far and we are excited to begin our adventure with II. OUr questions have been answered by either II or friends of our who have been with them for years. Sorry to hear differently... Hoping our experience is a good one. The only complaint I have so far is this...we purchased our II membership last May and started getting phone calls to renew already in August! They keep making it sound like this is your last chance to renew at this incredible rate but we have found out differently. They have finally stopped calling but this was a little unnerving.

• Wa
    Waycross48 Aug 28, 2008

I have a question - I am new to this area. We have owned our timeshare for over 12 -14 years now and have always used our own week at the original location of purchase. But, now I'm ready to start branching out - I'm tired of the Smokey Mountains - as beautiful as they are, I want to go someplace else!!!
    Any advice as to a great place to visit and how NOT to be "taken" by the process. All info will be much appreciated. God Bless, Judy

Lauren Aug 18, 2008

I think it you should've taken the initiative to call the company. Everyone expects someone else to be responsible for their actions. If I was headed over seas and couldn't get ahold of my resort, I would definitley have checked it out before I got on a plane to fly thousands of miles from home...knowing that there was severe weather...but that is just common sense. Unfortunately, most people lack that now days.

• Li
    Linden Albertson Aug 15, 2008

I agree that II does little to help you get a trade. My experience on line was a complete disaster. I thought I had booked, paid for and had a printed receipt for two weeks that I traded. After about two weeks, I thought I should have received a written confirmtion by mail so decided to phone II to see if they still send out confirmations if you book online. Good thing I did. They told me Westgae (my home timeshare) had not put in the weeks to trade, even though I had reservation numbers from Westgate whcih are needed before you can try and trade online. Therefore, they kicked my booking out of the system and then refunded my money to my charge card. THEY DID ALL OF THIS WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME. If I hadn't checked, I would be standing on the doorstep of my traded timeshare with no room to stay! Sloppy, sloppy practices, poorly-trained staff, really bad attitudes. I got the feeling the company could care less if I ever got on vacation. I would not recommend this company.

• Ca
    carolyn hawkins Jul 22, 2008

I found this section only by accident, but I have been trading my timeshare, and sometimes paying for one, have had no problems since 1992 when I got it, the hotels are gorgeous, we recently stayed at the Marriott Sabel Palms in Orlando, my daughter and son have stayed in Puerto Rico, Florida, I stayed in California, we have never had a problem, my son had booked a hotel on Daytona Beach when the hurricanes hit a couple of years ago, but he watched the weather and contacted them before he left and they booked him into an even better place because the storm had hit the coast badly.

• My
    myrna anderson Dec 28, 2007

Wish I read your comment before we purchased insurance from Interval International. Our trip was shortened by 5 days due to 4 snow storms. We called the insurance and were told not to worry and file the claim within 1 year. We got back from the trip and when I attempted to file the story changed. Because the trip was by car they considered it our choice to delay--it didn't matter that the airports and schools all considered the weather a problem. It would only be considered for claim if the roads were closed due to a STATE OF EMERGENCY!! What a joke. We have been members of Interval International since 1995 and have been satisfied until the past few years. Now I will inform others to stay away from this organization--unless you enjoy being taken advantage!!

• Ro
    Robert McLaren Nov 18, 2007

I agree ... every time we contact them the are very unhelpful and only wish to sell you another years subscription. They are a disaster and I am very surprised Marriott have a relationship with them.

• Da
    darren Oct 18, 2007

I'm sorry to hear about your experience... nasty! We're so glad that we didn't decide to go with Interval... went through their presentation are were completely turned off at their presentation... HARD sell and lack of concern for our time constraints.

I blogged about it (and linked to yours as well - wants others to know!)