Hughesnetovercharged

T

Last March, I spent $500 to get HughesNet satellite internet, because there was no cable or dsl in my area at the time. I continued spending $70/month + $5/month invoice fee for 1Mbps/200kpbs upstream speed internet that is slower than cable, dsl, and stops working after using only 375MB of bandwith in a 1-2 day period. Now I have Verizon DSL available, which provides FASTER service for only $17.99/month, with only $59 of upfront cost, instead of $500 like those ### at Hughesnet, and no 375MB download threshold. I called up Hughesnet to cancel, and they told me there would be a $300 early termination fee!! 'Don't you read contracts before you sign them sir?' was what the snotty Hughesnet phone rep snapped at me.

Now if they had given me free installation, or a free satellite dish, I could understand they might want to make their money back if I canceled within a year or two. But I spent $500 on install/dish fees, I've spent over $800 on their crappy service for 1 whole year, and they still want another $300 for canceling before two years of service!

Do yourself a favor and do not deal with these crooks. Wait for DSL or cable internet and you will not get raped by the Hughesnet ###.