Complaints & Reviews

the most overblown advertisement in the history of ad-copy!

Hugesnet internet service has to be the most overblown advertisement in the history of ad-copy. Total mis-representation. High speed internet? Not on a clear day in hell. This service takes real time off of your lifecycle just waiting for a page to load.
You get a two year contract, a never explained "Fair Access Policy" at a high price for what on almost every occasion amounts to a 28k modem, and less.

Service is fair, even when you can get off hold. At the 81.00 per month, install plus equipment. One would expect to have "Highspeed Internet". False advertisement is what Hughesnet offers. I watched an ad on TV for Hugesnet the other night. All smoke and mirrors.

Anyone wishing to form a class action suit against these bandits of the internet, count me in.

Dan Jul 24, 2008

Just got my HughesNet hooked up 7/23/08, I wished I did more checking It is slower than the dail up I had. Lucky I have 30 day trail I only lose about $200 for the installation. If you thinking about HughesNet you better do some checking first Wish I had.
    Dan

• Pa
    PamelaDC Jan 06, 2009

Count me in for the class action if any one goes that route!

installer created damage!

We called for a new installation scheduled on 6/11/2007. The assigned installer's scheduler (his wife) called to see if we wanted it done early and scheduled it to be on 5/31/2007 because he had to be in Sonoita, AZ that morning for another install. My husband and the woman spoke only long enough for him to agree and to tell her to have the installer call me to make sure I could be there because he (my husband) couldn't. My husband told her we wanted it on the back of the house on the roof. She (the installer company) said that would be fine. The day of 5/31/07, the installer phoned me on my way to work and I explained I couldn't be there until 10am, which he said would be fine. When I got there, he had installed the dish on the side of my home where we plan on putting a porch and within head-walking distance. I was shocked because the dish was on the house and shocked because he was inside my home, which we hadn't even moved into yet. The builder had sent contractors over to work on the water faucets and the Hughesnet guy just invited his dirty shoes into my den to setup his computer! When I told him that wasn't where we wanted, he got huffy, said he didn't have time to fix it and would have to come back (had another install the other side of Tucson he was in a hurry for) and took it down, leaving black tar stuff on my home, big ugly holes, and tore the wood siding (it's a modular home). He was rude, unprofessional, and I tried to explain that I understood his position but that he didn't have the customer's requirements before he began the install, like he should have done. Since then, HughesNet gave me a priority number to call, which is only good with a PIN that they give out every two weeks. I'm subject to emailing a representative, who is nice, but you can tell has a caseload because she never remembers my story. They have offered to refund $320 to our credit card on file, but what we really want is for them to issue payment to the builder to have a contractor fix the siding properly. We dont' want to have to deal with doing it ourself! Oh, forgot to mention that when that guy left, I called HughesNet and told them we didn't want him to finish the install and they sent a better installer who put it it on a polemount in my backyard and we've been mostly happy, just not with knowing we have damage to our home that HughesNet ignores. Has never even sent an adjuster to look at it. They are too big, corporation wise, to take care of the customer, who is driven to being taken care of by contractors who will repeately make mistakes because HughesNet doesn't solve them and get rid of the bad contractor. As a computer technical professional manager, I would never hire someone like the guy that did our first install. He was in a hurry to get a job done so he could get home that day. Probably gets paid by the install and not reimbursed for mileage. Never should have started without the customer onsite and without discussing where it would be installed.

scam and cheating!

The little lady on the commercial that arrogantly tells hughesnet users "your welcome" was the final straw. ...

too many to name!

We've been customers with Hughesnet (formerly Direcway) since January 2002 and have been paying $59.99 a month up until January 2008, which is when we upgraded to their $79.99 "Pro Plus" Program. The benefit we looked forward to was having a MUCH faster internet connection (that is if it isn't raining, snowing, foggy or the wind is blowing the wrong way). NO ONE mentioned their "Fair Use Policy" where we can ONLY download 425MG (which is NOTHING--Hughesnet is living in the dark ages!)or they will turn that on and it slows your internet access to DIAL UP speed. You then have to set your alarm clock to wake up at 3am to download any size file you want (and they give you until 6am to finish) even if you are in violation of the Fair Use Policy. Now I can understand if they want to limit downloading of large files, but there is NO reason why our basic internet access that we use to surf slows down to dial up speed for 24 HOURS before they turn it back to normal. That is NOT fair!! What are we paying for!?!

Because we live in an isolated area that doesn't get cable or DSL, they have use held captive. We are moving and when we do, you can be sure that there is NOOO way we will use Hughesnet again!!

The other problem with Hughesnet is that they outsource their Customer Service in the late afternoon's and throughout the night overseas!! They are taking away American's jobs and paying the people in India (and other countries) a fraction of the cost it would be to pay an American. I've worked in the corporate World for many years and understand that outsourcing is a wonderful way to save money and add profit to the bottom line. What I don't understand is why they have to use people who can barely speak English, couldn't solve a problem for you if they had 10 people helping them and are flat out useless when you have a problem. If you happen to call during the day, then you'll get an American and I've never had problems with their knowledge or service, they are great.

People need to know what this company is doing (or should I say not doing) for their customers and it needs to change IMMEDIATELY!!

• Sh
    Sherry Houlette May 20, 2008

I agree with you I have the big busssiness pkg and I cant get even close to the speed that they advertise I pay 188.00 per month for virtualy nothing

Mary Jul 27, 2008

I think it's absurd when a company doesn't provide a service and yet, won't refund your money for it. If your phone is out for 4 days, the phone company will give you credit for the 4 days. Someone needs to do something about this and the poor service. There are no fast downloads. I would have been better off sticking with my dial up servcie!!! I do plan on writing the FTC who regulates these companies...I hope others will follow suit.

• Ka
    karen rumminger May 18, 2009

I am in total agreement with this person who wrote this. We live in the country in Montana and were told Hughesnet was the only game in town. I called tonight to complain of the many hours that I cannot access my computer and was told (by someone in the PHILIPPINES) that I was being punished due to using more mega bites or whatever they call it... I just found out about the "FAIR USE POLICY' and asked them if they were serious??? She said it was in my contract and I told her please send me a contract so I can read it, she said I can get it on the internet! I told her, "no I cannot get it on internet because I cannot access it at the moment that is why I was calling!!!"
    Also, we pay $90.00 a month for this lousy internet service, cannot talk to anyone in the USA and can't understand what they are saying half the time. We tried to cancel them after we had the service a couple of months and they sent us a bill for over $800.00 for early termination! I reinstated the service just because I did not want that $800.00 looming over my head. They said it was in my contract, but I never signed a contract because if I had one to read, I would have never gone with Hughesnet... I have asked then several times for a contract to be sent to me, but they tell me to go to Hughesnet customer care online... Online, when I am being punished and cannot use any more time on the internet. They are a ripe off company, horrible service, lousy customer service and they overcharge for their so called internet service. My neighbor has dial up and pays $9.99 a month and has better internet service and access than we do. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as soon as I can get the forms, but gee, can't right now, I am being punished for using over the amount allocated to us for downloads, which includes emails! They told me to use it between 5-6 pm... I told the person on the other end of the line, I am at work and do not get home until after 7pm and I cannot always use the internet because I cannot get ONLINE!!! THIS IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!

• Td
    Tdog4775 May 22, 2009

Couldn't agree any more. So today I call and ask them for help setting up my new modem that we had to lock into another year thing for! First off i get someone who bearly knows a damn lick of english and he talks to me for 2 hours and get nothing done!!! by this point i'm getting pissed because there is no way it should take this long and he transfers me to some other person he tells me to do a bunch of other stuff and gets me no wear as well and he speaks even worse english than the person before. At the end he tells me we have to pay 125 dollars for them to come out and fix the dish but there is no problem with the dish it works fine on my old modem and if it needs to be fixed why and the hell would they charge us 125. It's there fault it doesn't work and I can't speak to someone who knows english. If they don't come out here and fix it i will have them shove this new modem up there ### and the 1 year agreement and cancel our subscription and if we have to take this to court so be it..

• Tj
    TJames Aug 16, 2009

Every since that new modem HN7000S, I have had nothing but problems. My old model worked fine, the old direcway one. They told me I would receive no tech support, If I didn't have the new one. So in the mail came my modem. I was excited about all this new speed they kept talking about. I had nothing but problems. No internet service no e-mail, nothing. I had to buy 2 new cables I received 2 more modems. I had to pay to get a tech to look at it- 125.00...The tech person couldn't fix it. So now I have to jiggle a wire, everytime I want to get on the computer, that is slow as you know what. I can't download anything, I can't send any pictures to my smugmug account. I can't watch any videos. A 2 minute video takes 15 min. to see. By that time, I am so pissed off I can't stand it. Now I have to wait 2 yrs. or I will be charged 300$ to close my account. I can't wait to get rid of hughesnet, I hate it. Oh, and I love those people I talk to at tech support. Can't understand a word they say!!! I had to bump up a plan on my phone bill, because I went over on my minutes. Hughes. net sucks.

complete and utter incompetence

I just recently found out about the 200MB download limit. This is an outrage because it happened when I tried to download a paid for and licensed copy of Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007, which is a 500MB file. I figured it out when the file download didn't work and I was only running at about 6 Kbps. Yes, I said 6, and it has been this way for 24 hours. I can conveniently, however, download whatever I want between the hours of 3-6AM Eastern time. I talked to 5 people, all of which could hardly explain anything to me due to lack of ability to speak fluent English, and I am now sitting here hoping that my download will actually work at the allowed times. Oh, by the way, good luck getting any type of manager or supervisor on the phone. Apparently nobody runs this company. I am looking for a way to get out of this contract for this pitiful and unreliable service. Any suggestions, feel free to email me at [protected]@bigfoot.spokane.edu

Andrew Jan 21, 2008

I posted the Jan 4, 2008 post and agree with you. Luckly my contract is up as I used the service starting from 2004. I am switching to Verizon wireless broadband [with an aftermarket external antenna] which has a 5GB monthly limit by no daily limit which will be much better for me. (Be careful with verizon because if you go over you may need to pay a termination fee... but at least you can get your full 5GB at high speed with out the slow speed fraud hughes net provides.)

I suggest you file a complaint at:
    www.ftc.gov
    and (thanks to Jim Smith's post on Jan 17th 2008) at: http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm...

unfair bandwith limit penalty restricts beyond daily limits.

Hugesnet (formerly Direcway) implemented a 'Fair Access policy' (FAP) which does not allow for the daily download bandwidth paid for by the service plains. This is because there is a 24hour penalty after the threshold for a day is reached.

If at 11:59pm I go 1 byte over the 200MB in my contract they will limit speed to below dialup speed for 24 hours after (not the 1 minute for the rest of the day or until the usage is back on track). This makes the 2 day average of broadband access 201MB or 100.5MB/day, not the 200MB/day that I pay for.

This is NOT indicated on the page with the list of plains and allowed daily usage. You need to click to another page to read about the 24hour restricted usage.

Hughes net advertises:
"With HughesNet®, your super-fast, always-on, satellite Internet access is ready when you are—no dialing in, no waiting and no tied-up phone lines. You can download files in seconds, check email instantly and surf faster than you ever imagined." What they don't say is that you only have a fraction of an hour at their advertised download speeds a day. The 'always-on' is 'always-on' unless you want to use more than an hour a day of boradband such as video.

The FAP page then goes on to say you CANNOT do broadband applications without being unfair!?!

I just tried to read the fair access policy on the page with the descriptions of the residential plains an found I need to log in! That is, there is no way for a person who is not a subscriber to know about the 24 hour restriction AFTER they daily limit is reached even if it is at the end of the day. Below is a list from this document of what is NOT considered to be fair use:

from:

1. Full-length movie downloads
2. Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs such as Napster, Kazaa or LimeWire
3. Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming
4. Hosting of server devices such as email, FTP or Web servers
5. Hosting computer applications such as Web camera feeds
6. Automated computer to computer connections used for archiving of local computer content
7. Extensive downloading of Usenet Newsgroups (NNTP)
8. Use of BitTorrent applications
9. Simultaneous file downloads
10. Downloading large files (i.e., file sizes that are close in size to the download threshold of your service plan)

Note that all of the services above are considered boradband. I don't believe Hughes net can advertise always on broadband, have a system that will work at advertised speed for under an hour and then indicate that the above broadband activities are not allowed. After all that, they violate the terms of their advertised plains by limiting service the day AFTER a violation occurs to not be boradband either.

Andrew Jan 04, 2008

I placed this in the wrong category. Will re-post.

• Cr
    Craig Bullim Jan 19, 2008

"fair" access policy is not fair. You are entitled to receive EXACTLY what you pay for.

File in small claims court. Bring PAPER proof: contracts, communications, transactions

• Cr
    Craig Bullim Jan 19, 2008

HughesNet is full of ### and has been since they started using VSATs in 1997
    HughesNet is full of ### and has been since they started using VSATs in 1997

• Gr
    Grizz May 24, 2008

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I file one. If we all stand together and file complaints just maybe it will help. Just call 1-877-ftc-help or www.ftc.gov

• Gr
    Grizz May 24, 2008

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I did file one. If we all stand together and file a complaint just maybe it will help. Just call 1-877-ftc-help or www.ftc.gov

terrible service and cust support!

I have had Directway then now Hughes.net. I am constantly getting FAP'ed even though no one was home...

fap

Hughesnet FAP is outlandish and I feel probably illegal. How can you tell me you are going to sell me HIGH SPEED INTERNET then pull me under dialup speeds yet still charge me 60 dollars a month. These people think they can do what they want and nobody will do anything about it but pay them even more money to stay above the FAP. If anybody knows about a class action suit that is started already or are willing to start one with me feel free to send me an e-mail. I'm telling you each and every one of us is going to have to stand against this bs or we will have no option for highspeed internet depending on where we live at. The one option we have is unacceptable and the providers of it are criminals at least in my eyes. If everyone sues them at once and even if losing the suit vows on petitions to drop their service putting them out of buisness they will get rid of their FAP and do the responsible thing and provide more bandwidth.

• Br
    Brookglen Jul 03, 2009

Check out what I posted it will help you or anyone else get out of your contract with hughesnet.

• Bu
    Bud Parker Sep 29, 2009

HugnesNet Class Action Lawsuit!

Joyce Cummings Davis Feb 09, 2011

I purchased HughNet Internet service because of their television ads. I live in a rural area and only have access to dial-up service. The advertisement never told anyone that you would be limited to only a few megabytes per day and after that you have to purchase "TOKENS" in order to use this service. They did not tell me about this until after my little 200 Megabytes had been used up one week or less after purchasing their service. This is deceptive practice and should be stopped now. I intend to contact the President of the United States about this as well as my elected officials. They want everyone to have high speed internet service, but HughNet has turned it into a scam for their own profit. I am extremely upset and sent them an email without a reply from them. Ok. Its on >>>>>>

Joyce Cummings Davis Feb 09, 2011

• Mo
    molliewollie Feb 09, 2011

Hey let us know how that whole contacting the president of the United States works out for you.

Joyce Cummings Davis Feb 10, 2011

I did file a complaint with the FCC last night. I am waiting for a response. Don't worry, I am writing President Obama also. I figure he will download it to someone else, but I am not giving up. Thanks Molliewollie

misrepresentation!

Here we are in a rural area without city services and no chance of having broadband cable with Warner like we...

incompetence!

Unbelievable incompetence in addressing the most basic ISP service. Extensive waiting, inefficient routing without ability to transfer. Expect to invest a couple of hours with the computer illiterate staff. Seriously laughable. If there is any other choice in the universe, make it.

• Ri
    Richard Smith Mar 12, 2008

I agree fully although my problems are with billing and customer service. My satellite dish was hooked up on 3/8/08 by a contractor who did a good job, everything works.

It took me only two days afterwards however to wish I'd never heard of Hughes Net. To add insult to injury it'll cost me an additional $300 to end service before two years.

I really don't have any other choice in the universe for internet service and I'm still sorry I made the choice! Anyone that wants peace of mind don't get Hughes Net!

• Wi
    Willia Davis Jun 05, 2008

This company is the greatest boon dongle I have ever experienced. Service (from Bob in Bombay) is WORSE than anything I have ever experienced. They give you case numbers, but require that each and every time you must repeat their idiotic “is the computer plugged in….good, now are there lights on your monitor” crap. I have an Enterprise system and I pay over $400 month. WHERE IS THE CLASS ACTION suit for this fraudulent incompetent lying cheating company?

Dave Feb 17, 2009

I whole heartedly agree! We have had satellite since it's inception here, basically, because nothing else is available. Since Hughesnet took over, this satellite connection has been a nightmare, including the implementation of the FAir Access Policy. Without notice they instituted this, and suddenly, if you did not have Windows or other downloads scheduled for 12-3 AM, your were slowed down to below dial up speeds for violation of this policy. I am waiting my contract to switch over to a new high speed local service. DUMP HUGHESNET!

slow internet

I got Hughesnet because it's the only thing available besides dialup. But now I am wondering if I should have just went with dial up anyway. It would have been a lot cheaper. I don't know how they get away with charging so much for crappy internet service. I keep hoping that DSL will be available soon here. I know I'll end up having to pay to get out of my contract, but it will be worth it. To anyone looking for high speed internet, don't look to Hughesnet, because you won't get it.

• Cc
    CCaro Nov 01, 2008

I've been on HughesNet for 2 years now and my contract is finished. My problem is that I have no other recourse but to stay with them. I had my land line removed to eliminate the cost and thought satellite would be much faster.

I was wrong! HughesNet is so slow it's unbelievable. I thought it would help to upgrade so now I'm paying $10.00 per month more and there is not one ounce of noticeable difference. I wait up to 1-2 minutes for web pages to load (even with the upgrade!) and most of the time I get an error notice. We were told at the time of install that our dish was in one of the best places and rated very high on the scale for linking.

I'm paying $70.00/per month for this lousy service. I must be nuts! But it's too much trouble to get a phone and go back to dial-up which is probably faster!

I checked my download and upload speed at www.speedtest.net and the results were: download=419 kbps upload=380 kbps
    No wonder I usually can't even watch a YouTube video without constant buffering.

I'm waiting for cable to open up here and I hope it's soon. I don't recommend HughesNet to anyone!

fair access policy bs

A complete scam. If you have HughesNet, drop them. If you are considering HughesNet, dont ! The only way to fight them is to hit thier pocketbook. I cant hurt them much by myself, but if we as consumers stick together and cost them money, they will change policys. If you continue to let them scam you with thier lies and BS restrictions, they will be happy to do it.

I am not the type of person to just let someone rip me off and get away with it. By the first of the year, I should have all my ducks in a row and then its bye bye Hughes !!!!

• Tg
    TG Feb 28, 2008

Hughes.net is absolutely bottom of the barrel in service and they are so over priced it is not funny!! They are THIEVES and the service is abysmal at best! I would encourage EVERYONE that can switch, to tell hughes to take a hike. I would also tell anyone even remotely considering the worst company on the planet to run the other way! Even Consumer Reports in a few issues back gave them the worst ratings on ALL points, that is ALL of the criteria they failed miserably. Hughes is the ONLY company I have ever seen get solid black marks on every level! They ste4al your money, they give zero customer service and their internet speed is little more than glorified dial up for 5 times the price! They know they have rural customers over a barrel because other fast services do not service the area, but in some cases with hughes, you would be better off with a pigeon carrying your emails to a fro!

• Ka
    Karen Smith Apr 30, 2008

I have been so mad from day one with Hughes.net. I had cable internet but when we moved we had to go to satellite internet and it has been so slow If I have been online for a long time they slow it down so you can't get online unless you are willing to wait hours for things to load. I thought I had unlimited access, I guess I do if I want to wait all day for things to load. I intend to go with another company as soon as my 15 months are up. Wish I had never heard of Hughes. net

• So
    Sooztx Jan 28, 2009

They are absolutely Horrible!! The speeds are abysmal! You are right; Dial-up would be faster!!! And, unfortunately I am stuck until my "sentence" runs out!!! Why, oh why, did I sign on the dotted line?????

• Jc
    j c Mar 05, 2009

THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE ONE OF THOSE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. THEY CAN ONLY SURVIVE BECAUSE THEY RIP PEOPLE OFF BY GETTING THEM STUCK IN BS CONTRACTS. WE'LL NOT ME! I CANCELLED MY SUBSCRIBTION. HAD TO PAY $400.00 TO DO SO BUT IT'S WORTH EVERY DIME. DIAL UP IS FASTER. AND THE FAP POLICIY IT TOTALLY BOGUS. FUNNY I HAD NO VIOLIATIONS IN MY FIRST 30 DAYS. PAID MY FIRST BILL AND ALL OF A SUDDEN FLAGGED FOR OVER USAGE EVERY DAY!! AND YOU DONT EVEN WANT TO CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH. THANKS HUGHES NET FOR SHOWING ME THAT CROOKS STILL EXIST. EVERYONE STAY AWAY AND THINK ABOUT JUST ENDING YOUR CONTRACT. THIS TYPE OF ACTION WILL HURT THEM. THE WAY I LOOK AT IT IS THEY GOT SOME OF MY MONEY BUT MISSED OUT ON AN ADDITIONAL 1600 THEY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN OVER THE NEXT 2 YEARS, PLUS ANY FUTURE BUSINESS, AND ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS I TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THEM. THEY DONT WANT THIER DISH BACK THAT SAY HUGHES NET ON IT, MAYBE I SHOULD PAINT "SCAM" ON IT AND PUT IT BY THE ROAD FOR ALL TO SEE. STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET!!!

I can't believe i'm paying so much for such horrible service!

I have now been on the phone for over 2 hours with several different people. All I want to do is get out of my horrible service with HughesNet! I have never been treated so poorly! Usually I'm a big pushover, so when I wasn't able to understand any of the technical support people, I felt like I shouldn't complain. Today I've finally complained, and have found out just how rude and unhelpful these people really are.
This internet system is slow, and often unavailable. It has cost me a fortune, and I would have to pay 500 bucks to get out of it. DSL is finally out my way, but unfortunately I'm stuck with these awful HughesNet people. I assume they make everything as difficult as possible on their customers so that we give up and feel like our only option is to continue with their service. I wish I could sue them for breach of contract to get out of it! Or participate in a class action suit of some sort. They bully decent people like me and take our hard earned money, and they should not get away with it.

• Ev
    evie sawaquat Mar 03, 2008

I so agree!! I am now writing to the chicago address as I was told on the phone, Before ordering installation, that the installation would be 298.00 and I would Never have to speak with india like i did with charter communications when the installer came out i paid him 274.00 by check and was told that was the entire installation fee well hughes charged my credit card 457.00 for installation and that was in january. I have been able to use my computer 10 times since jan. 2 2008 today is march3 and when i call hughesnet i am told "you had installation and "my supervisor will tell you same thing so there is no problem okay maam." It's terrible that my husband who is in a wheelchair and a homebound disabled veteran cannot even use the internet that we have been and continue to be grossly overcharged for as the system never works!!and you are on hold for at least 30 minutes when you call them only to be told you don't have a problem, when obviously you do or you wouldn't be calling them and don't try to email on the rare occaisions you have internet access as you will just get an 800 error # and a message saying they are experiencing acceleration problems. Don't get hughes net you'll have better luck just driving to your local library even if it's a 50 mile drive believe me you will get there sooner than it will take you to get online at home!

fair act policy (fap)

I submitted a complaint earlier but not sure if it got posted. I have been with HughesNet back when it wa...

service is a joke!

I have been with HughesNet when it was called direcpc and all you got was the download side, no upload. Since then the service has went down hill fast. FAP use to last only a few hours and now it last for 24hrs. (what a joke) I live in a rural area and my only isp other than phoneline is Hughes. I am thinking about going back to phoneline and just rent DVD's and buy music CDs If anyone knows of a better isp please email me. Good luck everyone.

Darran Heinsen Mar 11, 2008

Help! Long Story story short I have been paying $60.00 a month since 2005 for dial up speed, now its even worse since I upgraded my Modem to the 7000 and my service to the PRO series.

Tecks are on there way to my location again at $125.00 a pop. my low down loa speed is 10 kbps my hight would be 600kbs.

my complaint are falling on deaf ears, Who may I contact to gain help.

[email protected]
    805-748-5504

• Bo
    boudini Jan 22, 2009

Yes, Hughes is a joke. I have the pro package, which is supposed to be 2-3MB / sec. But I get about 80kbps during the day, and 1200kbps late at night. They told me there was nothing they could do, it's just too many users on each satellite. Slower than dial-up 95% of the time. Upload is never higher than 30kbps. Do not believe the ads, they are outright lying about the "fast" speed. IT IS NOT BROADBAND.

not worth the money!

I pay $60 a month for SLOW internet service. Also not ALLOWED to do downloads or Hughes Net WILL shut your internet service OFF for 24 hrs. I can pay $25 a month 4 cable internet which is 100 TIMES FASTER. We paid $600 for the equipment that IS faulty. The CUSTOMER SERVICE hardly speaks English & does not give HELP at all! If you sign up with Hughes Net your are waisting thousands of dollars and SLOW internet service with very limited capabilities! Don't buy into Hughes Net. Its a waist of TIME & MONEY!

service, speed, reliability

I have had Hughes (Direcway) for several years. I also am tired of calling for service and having to hang up...

better business bureau should investigate them

Hughesnet sucks, there is no other way to put it. Their FAP program was news to me and my family. Never was told about it during all of the phone calls prior to sign up. 200mb a day, after that dial up looks fast. It was in the disclaimer. If anyone ever asks me about it I tell them to run and run fast as far away as possible. If you ever have to call customer service I hope you can understand foreign languages. Always ask for advanced tech support. At least they are located in the USA and speak english. I am done ASAP. In 11 months of service I have never reached to promised speeds, not even close. The Better Business Bureau should investigate them. A class action lawsuit would be better, false claims made on TV.

Darran Heinsen Mar 11, 2008

My complaint are falling on deaf ears, Who may I contact to gain help.

[email protected]
    805-748-5504

not giving service promised

I'm no longer receiving high speed service or e-mail, they still expect me to keep up my end of the...

bad service and money issues!

We signed up with Hughes Net because we had no other choice for internet besides dial up. It advertises to...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices